gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680826 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:33:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'China, IL' Season 2: Hating on 'Mad Men,' Beach Boys and 'Toy Story'  (Read 4268 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »

Source:
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/09/china-il-season-2-hating-on-mad-men-beach-boys-and-toy-story.html

'CHINA, IL' SEASON 2: HATING ON 'MAD MEN,' BEACH BOYS AND 'TOY STORY'
Written by Terri Schwartz
9-20-13

Adult Swim's "China, IL" is getting bigger and better in Season 2. The show is being bumped up from 11-minute episodes to 22-minute ones, and is having more room to play around with its main cast of characters this time around.

The show focuses on characters who either work at or attend the worst college in America, located in the fictitious China, Il. Created by Brad Neely and executive produced by Daniel Weidenfeld, the show capitalizes on Adult Swim's distinct brand of animated comedy. Zap2it was recently invited to visit "China, IL's" animation studio, Titmouse, Inc., in Los Angeles to see where the series' magic happens.

During the visit, which included some sneak peeks of Season 2 (including the ones in this article) and a look at the animators behind the show, Zap2it spoke with Neely and Weidenfeld about the upcoming season. They tackle many elements of pop culture in some controversial ways, including the Season 5 episode of "Mad Men" titled "The Other Woman." In the episode, the secretary Joan infamously has sex with a man for the sake of business, and Neely decided to follow a similar storyline in "China, IL." The only catch? He's never actually seen the "Mad Men" episode.

"We do that often where we'll just take my ignorance and run with it," he admits. "We were just talking about inter-office types of stories. Everybody in the room being professional writers, unlike me, are aware of other television, so they're all like, 'Oh like that 'Mad Men' episode where they put the secretary in a bad position to do a sexual favor for a client for the good of the firm,' so we're like, 'Okay, that's good. Let's do that with Pony.' And then we were like, 'Nah, that's just so obvious. Oh, let's switch it and do it for Steve,' and that's where we ended up."

In the "China, IL" episode, the character Steve Smith is forced to take a woman on a date for the benefit of the college. He thinks they'll have to have sex, but they actually live out her crazy cat lady fantasies. "Sex is a misunderstanding where he thinks it's sex but it's actually cat stuff," Neely explains. "It wouldn't be a big deal for him to just have sex with someone. What would be a big deal is dressing up like a cat." Weidenfeld adds, "Not having it be sexual is so much funnier."

Another Season 2 storyline revolves around Neely's hatred of the movie "Toy Story." According to Weidenfeld, the fact that Neely thinks it's crazy that "people treat it like a serious movie" was too funny a concept to not play around with.

"We do a whole episode from the perspective of everyone in the world loving it and one of our characters just being like, 'How the f*** does everyone like this?' And then it sort of blows up at the end into something much bigger just because he can't understand how anyone would like this movie," Weidenfeld says.

The same goes for The Beach Boys, who play a central role in a different "China, IL" episode. Neely describes listening to The Beach Boys as it being like "yellow triangles just being shoved in my ears," and was caught off guard when one of the "China, IL" writers admitted The Beach Boys was one of his favorite bands. According to Neely, his wife's comment that "no one that clean hasn't raped somebody" spawned a twisted episode involving The Beach Boys' bad behavior and a surfer boy, Matthew McConaughey-version of God coming down to earth.

"Sometimes two ideas will meet in the middle, and we're like, 'Oh, these things go together.' We wanted to do an idea where God comes down. Like, oh God really comes down, and he has a new set of laws and everybody has to do them. Okay, like a new set of 10 Commandments, that's enticing. How do you make that interesting? Nothing about like God in this philosophical way, got to keep it stupid," he says. "All of this kind of is an episode. I don't know how yet."

"China, IL" Season 2 will feature a wide array of voice actors who understand the type of comedy Neely and Weidenfeld excel at. Hulk Hogan, Brooke Hogan and Greta Gerwig all voice recurring characters, while Jeffrey Tambor, Hannibal Buress, Chelsea Peretti and James Hong have joined as well. But Neely and Weidenfeld say they don't plan to go after many of the actors or celebrities they spoof. There was never any discussion of getting The Beach Boys involved -- "We didn't even want them around; it's so much funnier," Weidenfeld says -- and the time they approached Kevin Costner about playing himself in a Season 2 episode blew up in their faces.

"He said, 'Absolutely not. I don't do material this blue,'" Weidenfeld recalls. Neely jokes about the fact that Costner is still a character in the episode, "You're going to be in this episode whether you want it or not."

Since Neely is also responsible for the web videos "Wizard People, Dear Reader," Weidenfeld once hoped he could get Emma Watson on board "China, IL." He even approached her about it at a restaurant, but she wanted nothing to do with him in addition to having never heard of "Wizard People."

"Her friend told me to f*** off because I was interrupting her lunch, and then I just started sweating, and she started being really nice to me afterwards," Weidenfeld says. "I think I'm not talking to her every again.

Neely quips, "We have a better chance of getting [Rupert] Grint."

The pair's dream guests would be anyone from "Seinfeld," and they wanted to put an open invite to Jerry Seinfeld out into the world. "Seinfeld, we'll do anything to get him on the show. Seinfeld, you can do any voice you want on the show," Weidenfeld says.

Viewers who didn't watch "China, IL" Season 1 can jump into Season 2 without feeling like they missed anything major. Weidenfeld calls every episode "a restart," and says that Season 2's extended episode length will allow for more time to get to know the show's characters.

"It's been so freeing to just not cram plot in," he says. "Now we can allow the charm to come in. We can have a minute-long song and not just feel like we're taking so much time away from the story. We've always felt, in retrospect now, but it always should have been a 22-minute show."

"China, IL" Season 2 premieres on Adult Swim on Sept. 21 at 12:45 a.m.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »

For the record, I've never seen this show.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »

"no one that clean hasn't raped somebody"

Edgy rape humor! But it's his wife's idea, so it's ok.

Besides, only Al keeps it clean!

Obviously I'm just jealous, but I say we go shove yellow triangles, red balloons, green clovers, and marshmallow stars into this guy's ears. While singing an a capella rendition of Slip On Through. It'd be EDGY.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:57:28 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

Man, this show just sounds great! I love shows with timeless writing featuring Brooke Hogan that aren't afraid to "go there" and LAMPOON and really attack some of the real enemies of our time like the Beach Boys or the people who created Toy Story! I hate positive things in people's lives and I choose my battles well! I love the word LAMPOON! Hahahaha! I'M THE REAL REBEL EVERY DAMN DAY!!!!!!!!!!! LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »

You know that line of thinking that says parodies are generally best when they come from a deep love of the material or at least a passing familiarity?

BULLSHIT! It turns out the best satire stems from not watching what you're parodying and not being familiar at ALL with it.

FOGGGGGGGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! Snaaaaap into a Slimjim!

(Obviously I'll need to watch it first before rendering my swift and brutal opinion, maybe he's got brilliant cowriters and a fabulous voice cast...  but just going by his interview quotes -- hooboy.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:19:59 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »

I doubt anything they can make up is more demented than what the BBs actually did. That clean-cut image was just that, an image.

Marrying your first cousin's illegitimate daughter and having a kid with her because you hate his guts? Check.

Sleeping with your wife's sister? Check.

We can go on and on, these guys were/are as crazy as anyone this side of The Who.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »

*SPOILERS*

I was up late last night and caught most of the Beach Boys episode. Kind of amusing in the most demented, messed-up way. I know nothing about this show, so it was a bit confusing, one of the characters was the new God, a surfer type dude, creating a new version of the ten commandments. Everyone listens to The Beach Boys - only, for the sake of the show, they use intentionally bad parodies. One of the characters, Steve, can't stand the Beach Boys - everytime he hears them, he freaks out. At one point, he hides in his room to escape the music. His girlfriend (?) comes over with a copy of Pet Sounds and wants to....you know....but he throws her out of the room and starts freaking out worse. He goes to the surfer God and tells him about his hatred for the Beach Boys - the God character gives him the mental image of the Beach Boys on the beach, stabbing their girlfriends (not the exact likeness of the Beach Boys ever in this episode by the way - but you can tell one's supposed to be Brian, one's Dennis, one's Mike etc). And then the Steve character says something like "oh!, so all surfers aren't murderers, just The Beach Boys!". The Steve character ends up listening to the Beach Boys non-stop as more commandments are created.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »

*SPOILERS*

I was up late last night and caught most of the Beach Boys episode. Kind of amusing in the most demented, messed-up way. I know nothing about this show, so it was a bit confusing, one of the characters was the new God, a surfer type dude, creating a new version of the ten commandments. Everyone listens to The Beach Boys - only, for the sake of the show, they use intentionally bad parodies. One of the characters, Steve, can't stand the Beach Boys - everytime he hears them, he freaks out. At one point, he hides in his room to escape the music. His girlfriend (?) comes over with a copy of Pet Sounds and wants to....you know....but he throws her out of the room and starts freaking out worse. He goes to the surfer God and tells him about his hatred for the Beach Boys - the God character gives him the mental image of the Beach Boys on the beach, stabbing their girlfriends (not the exact likeness of the Beach Boys ever in this episode by the way - but you can tell one's supposed to be Brian, one's Dennis, one's Mike etc). And then the Steve character says something like "oh!, so all surfers aren't murderers, just The Beach Boys!". The Steve character ends up listening to the Beach Boys non-stop as more commandments are created.

It'd be nice to think it's better than what you describe, as it sounds totally lame

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »

The Wienerschnitzel commercial reminded me of this episode that was talked about.

In case you haven't seen this 30 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnsIe4cXfY

LOL I'M TALKIN' BOUT BLOOD HOW FUNNY HYUK HYUK HYUK

No mas, por favor.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 01:54:20 AM »

"no one that clean hasn't raped somebody"

Hitlerious.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »

This is actually a really helarious show, I love the abstract animation.  I actually caught the 2nd half of this episode and it was great.  It has surprisingly little to do with The Beach Boys, really, especially "hating on".  There's a faux Beach Boys type of song at some point reminiscent of God Only Knows.  

You have to really be into Adult Swim-type of shows in the first place, otherwise there's no way you'd think it was funny, let alone some random description on the internet.  I can't imagine trying to explain Tim & Eric Awesome Show and convincing someone it was brilliant.  You'd just have to see it (and even then few people "get it"). 

To each his own.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:17:18 AM by soniclovenoize » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx