gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:16:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Sunflower and Surf's Up  (Read 5717 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »

Are the new Sunflower and Surf's Up remasters worth buying if I already have the 2000 twofer??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »

They found better tape sources in the interim, so yes -- if you have the money to spare.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »

I think that's only true of Sunflower. Can anyone confirm?

Sunflower is noticeably different with a bit more clarity, but there's this kind of odd, slight layer of "static" (for lack of a better word) on the high end that's introduced on this new master. It sounds like more an issue of the tape than the actual mastering job. So yeah, pros and cons to both versions. I'd say it's worth having, though, and you may prefer it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »

Alan Boyd also said that some tracks on Surf's Up that used a different type of tape had to be transferred to another tape to do the original mastering. The 2012 mastering uses those original tapes, not the copy made to make the 1971 master.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:32:35 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »

Some songs sound better on the 2001 mastering. Forever and Long Promised Road have a bit too much NR on the 2012 discs.

A discipline daddy.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:30 AM »

Yeah, it's worth it. The quality is noticeably better, ESPECIALLY on 'Till I Die.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:38:22 AM »

Personally, I've never heard "Feel Flows" sound any better than on the 1990 Caribou reissue. All other releases -- including the original vinyl -- sound very strange with in terms of EQ and sound almost like they were mastered from a worn-out record.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »

Sunflower is noticeably different with a bit more clarity, but there's this kind of odd, slight layer of "static" (for lack of a better word) on the high end that's introduced on this new master. It sounds like more an issue of the tape than the actual mastering job. So yeah, pros and cons to both versions. I'd say it's worth having, though, and you may prefer it.

Yeah, I hear that, too. It's pretty noticeable on "This Whole World."
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

Worth it.  There is a new thread up called New Mini-Review and Mark Linett Comments On the Box Set.  After reading that, thinking maybe why Sunflower sounds so different on some of the tracks.  Thought he might be using the old quad-mixes.  Some of Bruce's vocal leads sound different too.  Both sound great, like the other 2012 releases (got ASL, Today, SDandSN, Party & SS) and another to add to a crowded shelf.  Another tool to use on comps. Happy Dance  Thanks for the info Wirestone.  drbeachboy, where did you read the Boyd interview?  I'm still studying the MIC tracks.  It'll take awhile.  All the changes...must be why the thing cost so much.  Still, I want More. Grin
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:04:11 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »

Worth it.  There is a new thread up called New Mini-Review and Mark Linett Comments On the Box Set.  After reading that, thinking maybe why Sunflower sounds so different on some of the tracks.  Thought he might be using the old quad-mixes.  Some of Bruce's vocal leads sound different too.  Both sound great, like the other 2012 releases (got ASL, Today, SDandSN, Party & SS) and another to add to a crowded shelf.  Another tool to use on comps. Happy Dance  Thanks for the info Wirestone.  drbeachboy, where did you read the Boyd interview?  I'm still studying the MIC tracks.  It'll take awhile.  All the changes...must be why the thing cost so much.  Still, I want More. Grin
Honestly, I don't remember, but it was right after they were released through this time last year.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »

If you already have the twofer, then no. But if you don't, then you'd much rather get the 2012 remasters!
I've got the 2012 remaster of Sunflower. Might get Surf's Up in the future...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx