gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:43:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who taught Brian how to produce music?  (Read 4012 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:30:37 AM »

A friend today told me that Jan Berry taught Brian how to produce. I had never heard this before. Is this true? I may not have the terms right, but my friend said something about Jan teaching Brian how the studio works or something to that effect.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »

Your friend is correct.  Brian learned a lot from the period that he was collaborating with Jan and Dean.  Jan might also have been. Brian's introduction to the Wrecking Crew, but I am not sure about that.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »

Hal Blaine has recalled Brian sitting in the corner of the studio during many Spector sessions (even before the Wrecking Crew knew who Brian was). He'd take in what Spector was doing, how he got that 'Wall of Sound', how he'd dictate who did what in the studio, etc.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »

Very interesting. Thanks guys.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »

Carol Kaye. Remember, she was there, we weren't. She knows - we have no idea.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »

IMHO Brian is a self-taught producer, a real autodidact.

To observe others giving directions, twiddling knobs, whatever, is one thing.

To assimilate all of that and to add very many unique personal touches to the whole is an entirely different thing.

I see him as a three-star chef de cuisine, whose name will forever be tied to a certain style, or a series of classic menus if you will, oft imitated, never equalled, let alone surpassed.

To ask who taught Brian to produce, is a question that never came up with me, to be honest. For yours truly, it's comparable to asking: who taught Herman Melville or Mark Twain to write?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

Carol Kaye. Remember, she was there, we weren't. She knows - we have no idea.  Roll Eyes

You were saying something in the Al Jardine thread about him being petty and bitter and how he should just let the music speak for itself?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »

A friend today told me that Jan Berry taught Brian how to produce. I had never heard this before.

Really?  AGD mentions it at Bellagio, I think PAC writes about it a bit in Catch a Wave, and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere too.  They say that Jan taught Brian how to produce a "clean" track (I don't actually know what that means), and that he also encouraged Brian to hire sessionists, specifically the Wrecking Crew (which I think Jan first assembled himself).
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »

Id always assumed Brian thought he was doing Phil Spector.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »

Murry taught him some. Murry learned a little bit from doing demos for his songs. I'm sure he learned a bit from Morgan/Hite and also Nik Venet. He learned from the engineers on all his recordings, plus the studio musicians taught him some things about arranging.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »

You were saying something in the Al Jardine thread about him being petty and bitter and how he should just let the music speak for itself?

I see the Lack Of SOH virus is spreading...  Grin

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »

Well, we tried to get you to take the vaccine but you refused!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »

Murry taught him some. Murry learned a little bit from doing demos for his songs. I'm sure he learned a bit from Morgan/Hite and also Nik Venet. He learned from the engineers on all his recordings, plus the studio musicians taught him some things about arranging.

I think Brian already knew what Venet knew as far as producing. Venet got to be a pain in the ass and it didn't take long for Brian to ask that Venet be removed from the scene.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »

Plus they were all pioneering, experimenting, and inventing this stuff along the way!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »

To assimilate all of that and to add very many unique personal touches to the whole is an entirely different thing.

I see him as a three-star chef de cuisine, whose name will forever be tied to a certain style, or a series of classic menus if you will, oft imitated, never equalled, let alone surpassed.

To ask who taught Brian to produce, is a question that never came up with me, to be honest. For yours truly, it's comparable to asking: who taught Herman Melville or Mark Twain to write?
  Good one Don.  Maybe nearest to the truth.  Strange no one has ever asked Brian.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »

I agree with what part of this I understood.  I think he basically kept his eyes open and learned the mechanics of it from their first sessions... probably learned some slick tricks from Jan and Phil... but in general he produces in a style all his own.  In general I think he was particularly good at making music that was commercially accessible, but was still fearlessly unique.  He did quirky things you're not supposed to do, by accident, because he didn't care that you're not supposed to do them.  Just little things... like changing the key in the middle of the last verse of Dance Dance Dance... or the way "I Get Around" goes all shaky kneed and crazy in the middle of each verse... or how "Don't Worry Baby" fades IN.  Find a song that fades IN.  Or how he has a bass, a standup bass, and a piano play the bassline at the same time... but only sometimes... in God Only Knows.  Or how in "What I Really Want For Christmas" he doubles himself... or doesn't... or has the band double him... or not... and is accompanied by piano... or not... or drums... or not... with seemingly no rhyme or reason all through the song.    Or how on "Shelter" he has the boys singing things in the background we can't quite hear audibly, lol. 

Nobody taught him most of that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »

... or how "Don't Worry Baby" fades IN.  Find a song that fades IN. 

sh*t, even **I** can do that, and I'm no great Beatles fan.  Grin

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »

Yeah, certainly nothing special about that, right?

BTW, Don't Worry Baby, May 1964

Eight Days a Week - December 1964
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:10:08 AM by Ron » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »

I agree with what part of this I understood.  I think he basically kept his eyes open and learned the mechanics of it from their first sessions... probably learned some slick tricks from Jan and Phil... but in general he produces in a style all his own.  In general I think he was particularly good at making music that was commercially accessible, but was still fearlessly unique.  He did quirky things you're not supposed to do, by accident, because he didn't care that you're not supposed to do them.  Just little things... like changing the key in the middle of the last verse of Dance Dance Dance... or the way "I Get Around" goes all shaky kneed and crazy in the middle of each verse... or how "Don't Worry Baby" fades IN.  Find a song that fades IN.  Or how he has a bass, a standup bass, and a piano play the bassline at the same time... but only sometimes... in God Only Knows.  Or how in "What I Really Want For Christmas" he doubles himself... or doesn't... or has the band double him... or not... and is accompanied by piano... or not... or drums... or not... with seemingly no rhyme or reason all through the song.    Or how on "Shelter" he has the boys singing things in the background we can't quite hear audibly, lol. 

Nobody taught him most of that.

That has been my impression as well. I don't ever recall reading that Jan Berry out right taught Brian how to produce. That is the impression my friend gave me. It doesn't surprise me that Brian watched several people do it and learned from all of them, just like listening to the Freshman, Chuck Berry, Dick Dale, etc to learn how to write music.

Also, about Jan Berry, BB documentaries don't seem to discuss this end as much outside of writing with Brian on Surf City, etc.  The focus tends to be on Phil Spector and Be My Baby when it comes to Brian's influence in producing.

And this may be shocking for a die hard Beach Boy fan, but I had never delved deep into Jan Berry music. Only recently did I read a post on hear about his fantastic productions and arrangements.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »

Yeah, certainly nothing special about that, right?

BTW, Don't Worry Baby, May 1964

Eight Days a Week - December 1964

Down Bound Train, November 1955

(And I'd hardly call it a fade-in on DWB...if anything, it's just bad timing on the edit or the first beat just not played very loudly....)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »

I'm sure Brian learned technique from lots of people but I think Brian always had everything thought out in his head and he told people what he wanted and left it to Chuck and the musicians to mostly figure out the how. Is that what all producers do?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx