gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:04:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Do you consider David Marks to be a founding member of the Beach Boys?
Yes - 37 (55.2%)
No - 11 (16.4%)
Sort-Of - 19 (28.4%)
Total Voters: 63

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was David Marks an Founding Member of the Beach Boys?  (Read 38689 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2013, 03:42:16 AM »

A 9 page thread confirming once again that BBs fans are as crazy as the group themselves!!

Heck, Noel Gallagher wasn't even a founding member (or original member) of Oasis Old Man (Have we heard from AGD on this matter yet?)

That is to say, I think that there are more important factors than this to consider when assessing the significance of the contribution David made to our group.

I agree with Howie and folk like Pretty funky, Billy etc.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »

I grew up in the same time period as when BB first came out and i did say none of us knew the pre history at that point. When you saw the pic sleeve of SS/409 and the lp"s came out it was Daid we all saw as 1st in the band.. In fall of 1963 on either 9th street west or hollywood a go go tv show Al was introduced as a new member. BW did intro for Al.. since history has shown Al was there before David a few years later..I wish i could remember when that occured.. I think BW introduced  Al that way was to keep things simple. Back then it was unusual for members to leave bands especially as big as BB. Since all 6 of these  members were around at the same time playing together in various configurations i voted David full status and Al was back in less than 1 1/2 years he gets full status.. You might call this being charitable but im cool with it..And Brian agrees with this..And please dont tell me you cant believe BW..I dont buy it.. And Brian is the one who asked David to be involved in C50..
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »

As for David Marks, he comes close to being a founding member, but he's not, as he wasn't a member when Candix records changed their name from Pendletones to the Beach Boys.
Also consider this; if David Marks had never re-established contact with the band in the late 90s and been involved sporadically with various members since then, does anybody here honestly think his name and face would be flaunted on C50 material as an 'original member'? Of course he wouldn't.

I was going to ask at the beginning of this thread when someone brought up the C50 program as enough proof, if anyone honestly thinks David would be part of the 50th reunion if Carl and Dennis were still around. I think that with two members gone they just needed more faces up there to give the reunion more credibility. I only bring this up to point out the tendency to cherry pick the "evidence" that best suits one's argument.

For the record, given the complicated nature of the band's formation, i am in the camp that considers both Al and David "original" members.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

David's the founding replacement original.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bluesno1fann
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

As for David Marks, he comes close to being a founding member, but he's not, as he wasn't a member when Candix records changed their name from Pendletones to the Beach Boys.
Also consider this; if David Marks had never re-established contact with the band in the late 90s and been involved sporadically with various members since then, does anybody here honestly think his name and face would be flaunted on C50 material as an 'original member'? Of course he wouldn't.

I was going to ask at the beginning of this thread when someone brought up the C50 program as enough proof, if anyone honestly thinks David would be part of the 50th reunion if Carl and Dennis were still around. I think that with two members gone they just needed more faces up there to give the reunion more credibility. I only bring this up to point out the tendency to cherry pick the "evidence" that best suits one's argument.

For the record, given the complicated nature of the band's formation, i am in the camp that considers both Al and David "original" members.
You're right about the complicated nature. But while David Marks is not a full founding member, My vote on this poll goes to Sort-of.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »

If semantics are so important in this case let's argue that Candix and X called them "Beach Boys" not "The" Beach Boys. If that flies than David is in the original group "THE Beach Boys".

Great! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2013, 09:45:23 AM »

If semantics are so important in this case let's argue that Candix and X called them "Beach Boys" not "The" Beach Boys. If that flies than David is in the original group "THE Beach Boys".

Great! Cheesy

If semantics are so important in this case then let's remember that on January 25th 1961 the band played a small gig billed as "THE Beach Boys" a full month before David Marks joined. NEXT!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »

Great! Cheesy

If semantics are so important in this case then let's remember that on January 25th 1961 the band played a small gig billed as "THE Beach Boys" a full month before David Marks joined. NEXT!

And MOST importantly here, the date YOU reference was NINE months before they got together with the Morgans to do any recording at all!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »

Great! Cheesy

And MOST importantly here, the date YOU reference was NINE months before they got together with the Morgans to do any recording at all!!

Oooops, my finger slipped. I blame the laptop makers for putting the 1 key so close to the 2. Stupid f*ckers. This was clearly an accident waiting to happen.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:35:22 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »

Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!   Good one.   Grin 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MBE
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »

Great! Cheesy

Oooops, my finger slipped. I blame the laptop makers for putting the 1 key so close to the 2. Stupid f*ckers. This was clearly an accident waiting to happen.
If you have to have a finger slip.....funny actually. I didn't remember that the THE was used before the record, but just a joke anyhow.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

It seems, all things considered, that David was basically a founding member as much as Al was ... but the group was based around the family.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »

So what's the score on this thread so far?

Do you consider David Marks to be a founding member of the Beach Boys?

30 say yes. 14 say sorta. 9 say no.

Good to know there's some smart people on this board....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »

Yeah, 9 of us.  Wink

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »

Yeah, 9 of us.  Wink

9 Deluded lost souls in search of redemption

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »

Are we talking about the recording BBs, the touring BBs, or the name BBs?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »

I'd say the name, although judging by everyone's opinions, I guess all of them counts

Yeah, 9 of us.  Wink

9 Deluded lost souls in search of redemption

Funniest comment I've seen in a long time  LOL
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:14:17 AM by bluesno1fann » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »

None of the above. Apparently we are talking about the first time young Marks sneaked a look into the family music room while Brian was working on something and thus, history was made.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2013, 04:20:45 AM »

None of the above. Apparently we are talking about the first time young Marks sneaked a look into the family music room while Brian was working on something and thus, history was made.

Wink

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2013, 07:54:16 AM »

Now its time to decide weather John Stamos is an original member. Go!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »

Of FUll House? Totally!  LOL
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »

Of FUll House? Totally!  LOL

But was Bob Saget?? Or John Posey??

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »

So what's the score now?

Yes  32 (56.1%)
No  11 (19.3%)
Sort-Of  14 (24.6%)

bluesno1fann
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »

Considering that he wasn't even born yet when the Beach Boys were formed in 1961, I think the answer is quite obvious.

Besides, he was never an official member anyway. Just another sideman who happened to be a star in his own right, like Glen Campbell
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:40:40 PM by rockno1fann » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

Im a genius to Brian !!  How about   Murry Wilson original member !!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx