gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:48:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hidden mixes on MIC  (Read 10792 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »

There's the new stereo mix of Fun, Fun, Fun with the instruments separated and the longer fade

This was a nice surprise - great to hear instruments that were buried in the mix before.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »

The Warmth of the Sun is 10 seconds longer?  I thought the multi-tracks to that song were lost...
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »

The Warmth of the Sun is 10 seconds longer?  I thought the multi-tracks to that song were lost...

The Shut Down Vol. 2 multis were "discovered" and returned 4 or 5 years ago. Hence, the ability to now fully remix tracks from that album. Smiley
zachrwolfe
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:44:50 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »

I thought the Shut Down II multitracks were gone too.  Same with the Deuce Coupe album.  You sure they were found, Dave?  Everything?  Does that mean the return of the Don't Worry Baby and Why Do Fools Fall In Love tape(s) a few years ago wasn't so important after all or were they still needed to complete the album?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »

I thought the Shut Down II multitracks were gone too.  Same with the Deuce Coupe album.  You sure they were found, Dave?  Everything?  Does that mean the return of the Don't Worry Baby and Why Do Fools Fall In Love tape(s) a few years ago wasn't so important after all or were they still needed to complete the album?

SOME Shut Down II tapes were recovered, not all.  Each reel contains "batches" of whatever songs were being worked on at the time.  The three reels recovered in 2009 contained only Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, This Car Of Mine, Pom Pom Playgirl and Denny's Drums. 

http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/

The recent discovery of the tape containing multitracks for Fun Fun Fun and Warmth Of The Sun seems to have happened recently and neither Boyd or Linnet have offered any details about it, which is the strange part.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

I thought the Shut Down II multitracks were gone too.  Same with the Deuce Coupe album.  You sure they were found, Dave?  Everything?  Does that mean the return of the Don't Worry Baby and Why Do Fools Fall In Love tape(s) a few years ago wasn't so important after all or were they still needed to complete the album?

I stand corrected, Mikie  The Shut Down Vol. II, 3-track multis for the 6 songs they found apparently didn't include TWOFS and FFF (three tapes in total were reacquired). Don't know what made me think those two were part of the treasure -- they're weren't! On the other hand, they did find the 3-track multis for DWB and WDFFIL as part of that Shut Down Vol. II cache.

Here's the best article on it:

http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/

Edit: Someone just beat me to the punch.  Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »

Mark said this recently about the initial Shut Down 2 tapes turning up:

"This find wasn’t heavily publicized but the fact that it got any publicity at all has caused other tapes to turn up. About three years ago somebody turned up with about 28 tapes that had, shall we say, gone missing from the Beach Boys and Capitol archives in 1980; this included the eight-track master to Do it Again and We’re Together Again and several of the albums that ultimately didn’t get released like Adult Child and a version of California Feelin.’"

They mention 28 tapes, which is a lot of music, but only give a few examples. I'd imagine "Fun Fun Fun" and "The Warmth Of The Sun" were among them or among some other set of tapes they have. They're obviously remixes, either way.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »

If I remember correctly, didn't Alan and Mark have to resort to using bootlegs on a couple of the Smile Sessions tracks due to there being no tapes in the vaults for certain bits?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »

They mention 28 tapes, which is a lot of music, but only give a few examples. I'd imagine "Fun Fun Fun" and "The Warmth Of The Sun" were among them or among some other set of tapes they have. They're obviously remixes, either way.

I'm doubtful the tape with Fun Fun Fun/WOTS was ever in their tape library.  From late '63 to early '64 it seems like the group kept almost nothing in the way of session multitracks and left them at the studio or gave them away once they were done with them.  Only in mid-1964 do you start to see a more consistent cataloging of their session tapes.

As the tracks on the SOT releases suggest, a few tracks from "Surfer Girl" are missing, the entirety of the new tracks recorded for "Little Deuce Coupe" aren't there, the single version of "Be True To Your School" only exists as the mono single and the rest of the reels from "Shut Down Vol. II" are presumably still missing.

I'm not saying this tape wasn't part of this tape stash they recovered, but I think they probably found another case like the guy in 2009.  I'd love to hear the story either way.

If I remember correctly, didn't Alan and Mark have to resort to using bootlegs on a couple of the Smile Sessions tracks due to there being no tapes in the vaults for certain bits?

Yes, the "Heroes And Villains: Early Version Outtake Sections" are lifted directly from the SOT box.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

"This find wasn’t heavily publicized but the fact that it got any publicity at all has caused other tapes to turn up. About three years ago somebody turned up with about 28 tapes that had, shall we say, gone missing from the Beach Boys and Capitol archives in 1980; this included the eight-track master to Do it Again and We’re Together Again and several of the albums that ultimately didn’t get released like Adult Child and a version of California Feelin.’"

Whoa, where did this quote come from? I missed this. 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »

Whoa, where did this quote come from? I missed this. 

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/made-in-california-producers-alan-boyd-dennis-wolfe-mark-linett-beach-boys-interview/
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »

I remember the opposite -- Alan Boyd lamenting that there were things they couldn't use because they only existed on bootlegs, as they had since gone missing from the tapes. But i'm not absolutely sure.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »

I remember the opposite -- Alan Boyd lamenting that there were things they couldn't use because they only existed on bootlegs, as they had since gone missing from the tapes. But i'm not absolutely sure.

The TSS book claims they did use bootleg sources. Wonder if the bootleggers considered suing them... Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »

The TSS book claims they did use bootleg sources. Wonder if the bootleggers considered suing them... Wink 2

Always wondered what was going to be on the Vigotone box that got nixed by the authorities before it ever shipped. Were the source tapes recovered in that bust? Were they returned to the record company/BRI?  Or was there nothing new for that set, just a rounding up of everything that was out there at the time (I think it was pre-SOT but am not sure)?  Vigotone's Heroes and Vibrations sampler disc suggested there might have been a bundle of new (then) stuff.

“We live in divisive times.”
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »

My tagline,

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »

If they ever use bootleg sources again, they should officially release that great Smile fan mix with the dialogue soundbites, especially that Murry Wilson soundbite just before Child Is Father to the Man. I think it's my favorite version of Smile.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »

Always wondered what was going to be on the Vigotone box that got nixed by the authorities before it ever shipped. Were the source tapes recovered in that bust? Were they returned to the record company/BRI?  Or was there nothing new for that set, just a rounding up of everything that was out there at the time (I think it was pre-SOT but am not sure)?  Vigotone's Heroes and Vibrations sampler disc suggested there might have been a bundle of new (then) stuff.

That's a great mystery - the Vigotone guy got busted before that box set could get out but my understanding is he did not have the tapes for the upcoming box set, they were still with the "owner" collector person.  Based on the teaser I suspect there would have been upgraded quality of previouysly booted stuff and likely some new stuff, but if it would have been anything that didn't end up on TSS is unknown.  However I bet Barnyard with the backing vocals would have been on it !
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

Has this mix of "All Dressed Up For School" been released before? It says 2007 mix.

Also, what in the flying fuck is "All Dressed Up For School" doing on a career retrospective?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »

Has this mix of "All Dressed Up For School" been released before? It says 2007 mix.

It was released on the U.S. Singles collection box set

Also, what in the flying fuck is "All Dressed Up For School" doing on a career retrospective?

I think it's a very solid track
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »

I think it's one of their greatest unreleased-at-the-time tracks that should have been on an album.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

To show the fans it's okay to perv on school girls

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »

Did we need further confirmation of this? Hey Little Tomboy? Schoolgirl?

I think it's there to demonstrate Brian's recycling of riffs and melodies. We got I Just Got My Pay on the last box, and now we get All Dressed Up For School
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »

To show the fans it's okay to perv on school girls

*giggle* but srsly, I like the song and all, but its inclusion on what is basically a very expanded best of is a bit of a head-scratcher, to me. Ah well, ain't no big deal, and the recycling demonstration theory is interesting.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »

I think it's one of their greatest unreleased-at-the-time tracks that should have been on an album.

Smiley Mark

+1
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx