gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:16:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jack Rieley Interview!  (Read 44204 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:37 AM »

You're right John. There is a certain irony in folk here moaning about dishonesty whilst hiding behind a pseudonym.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »

I'm changing my name to Ed Hemingway, John.  No Smilin', though...
Or am I lying?  Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2013, 04:17:34 AM »

I use the same name (handle) everywhere. Easy enough to look me up if the need arises. My real name is Dirk Westerfer. I stand by what I write, and own up when I am wrong.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2013, 04:33:37 AM »

Deleted
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet.  And yes, I don't know any of you personally, but these ridiculous know it alls more often than not do not exist in real life ; the internet affords plenty of anonymonity and makes people feel invulnerable…
I wish more folk would post under their real names. Gets rid of the anonymity probelm and perhaps makes folk think a little more before they hit the "post" button.

I used to post a ton of crap under the pseudonym Wee Helper; now I post the same ton of crap under my real name, but at least I'm accepting responsibility for that crap.

Moan over…  :D
No moan! In a way you're correct, not-so-"wee helper!"  LOL

My only nom de plume issue is that people switch identities so often.  The mods know by the IP addresses, but the readers and posters don't.  If you take a name, then stick to it.  Even if you get some flack (yes, flak!  LOL) and that is OK as long as it isn't mean-spirited.

This is all for fun, anyway, I think. And, a great place for those of us who suffered the slings and arrows of our contemporaries, in our choice of favorite bands, back-in-the-day.  

I've learned a lot from the posters, even if I don't share the same opinions, it is a great opportunity to see young people's viewpoints and even scholarship on our guys. It is why I love to sit in on courses with young people to learn their viewpoints on the world. Fresh ideas are great!

Oregon Rider was very forthright when he changed his name, due to his change in geography.  Cool move.  

You're ok in my book, John Manning, not-so-wee-helper!  

A frostly Smiley brew for you!  Beer
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:49:19 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2013, 07:13:52 AM »

My real name is Iron Horse Apples.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

My real name is Iron Horse Apples.
It surely can't be Stephen Newcombe. That's an alias if I ever heard one. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »

I wasn't so much referring to hiding behind a pseudonym.  I meant the fact that the internet affords us the opportunity to be abrasive and rude since the consequences of acting this way in real life don't exist (and that this can become something of a "lie"). 

But, yup, hypocritical of me seeing as I fell into this very same trap.  Consider this my Smiley Smile coming out party!  A very graceful one indeed. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »

Just to "close the loop" on this sub-topic with my brilliant insights  LOL -- I don't think it's fair to equate a pseudonym (or the concept of anonymity, for that matter) that a forum like this provides -- with lying to people's faces in a job interview or on a resume -- which is used to acquire employment, financial gain and setup the initial bridge of trust in a professional relationship.  Padding a resume is one thing... flat-out lying usually ends the contract.

On the Web and elsewhere in print, there's a sense of comfort and poetic licence with all "pen names" -- that is not possible and expected in our face-to-face human interactions.  But regardless, we all still call each other out for opinions that miss important facts.  So my fist of poetic licence ends where it meets someone else's face of anonymous justice.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »

I agree Bean bag.  

Of course using an anonymous name isn't dishonest.

I just felt in pointing out the slight irony, 'cos I knew it would make drbeachboy smile  LOL

Spread the joy folks, life's all too fleeting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:56:40 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »

My real name doesn't sound half as cool as 'Mike's Beard". I think the only solution is to legally change my name to Mike's Beard, then people can't accuse me of hiding behind a pseudonym on the internet.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »

I'm changing my handle here to A. Grayham Doe.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »

what the hell...since i'm getting old also..turn 60 later this month...i'll play along for awhile. I will change my profile to my middle name. yes, it really is my middle name. I took hell for it growing up... Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »

what the hell...since i'm getting old also..turn 60 later this month...i'll play along for awhile. I will change my profile to my middle name. yes, it really is my middle name. I took hell for it growing up... Smiley
I'll bet you did! LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »

more than anyone here would ever know... Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2013, 11:58:25 AM »

I wasn't so much referring to hiding behind a pseudonym.  I meant the fact that the internet affords us the opportunity to be abrasive and rude since the consequences of acting this way in real life don't exist (and that this can become something of a "lie").  

But, yup, hypocritical of me seeing as I fell into this very same trap.  Consider this my Smiley Smile coming out party!  A very graceful one indeed.  
That is true, but, if people are considerate and relatively respectful and tolerant, with a pen name, they will be the same, using their given name.  

Many famous authors used pen names;  Mark Twain was Samuel Clemens, George Sand was Aurore Dupin, Dr. Seuss was Theodore Geissel, Silence Dogood was Benjamin Franklin.  

It is a long list.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:00:07 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »

I wasn't so much referring to hiding behind a pseudonym.  I meant the fact that the internet affords us the opportunity to be abrasive and rude since the consequences of acting this way in real life don't exist (and that this can become something of a "lie").  

But, yup, hypocritical of me seeing as I fell into this very same trap.  Consider this my Smiley Smile coming out party!  A very graceful one indeed.  
That is true, but, if people are considerate and relatively respectful and tolerant, with a pen name, they will be the same, using their given name.  

Many famous authors used pen names;  Mark Twain was Samuel Clemens, George Sand was Aurore Dupin, Dr. Seuss was Theodore Geissel, Silence Dogood was Benjamin Franklin.  

It is a long list.   Wink

I said I would stop posting in this thread....but.... i... LIED!!!!!!!

Hm... good point.  It does provide some coverage.  But speaking from my own experience, I would like to think that I don't act as irresponsibly towards people in real life as I just have toward people on this message board (regardless if they knew my name).  That's what I was getting at; I was not suggesting that this is an overt, literal passing off of a false identity.  It wasn't that drbeachboy didnt know my name that allowed me to be a jerk.  it was the fact that the this is an impersonal way of communicating, and he wasn't a real person sitting in front of me

I got sucked into the role of the troll, which is a temptation many of us face in this virtual land.  I'm a noob with 19 posts under my belt, so lets hope there's some improvement ahead of me... umm Jack Reilly right?    Has anyone been able to find this interview online?  I'm not having luck
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

Mildly amusing factoid which many of you won't believe, but t'is true - although I frequently come across as an arrogant, pompous and condescending arse with all the tact and diplomacy of Caligula online, apparently IRL I'm just a cuddly ol' bear. Who knew ?  Roll Eyes

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »

If I would use a pseudonym it would be "Stan Dorfall". I'll stick with the first five letters of my first name though. My full name can be found in my profile.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2013, 02:43:57 AM »

Mildly amusing factoid which many of you won't believe, but t'is true - although I frequently come across as an arrogant, pompous and condescending arse with all the tact and diplomacy of Caligula online, apparently IRL I'm just a cuddly ol' bear. Who knew ?  Roll Eyes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »

I was just standing in line at a store and the young guy in front of me had a tattoo on the back of his neck which read "Lying to Live". Kind of apropos after spending so much time in this thread. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

To bring things back on track to Jack a little bit here......
I've just watched a 2009 Dutch documentary called The Making of "Holland" and Reiley says this....

"I should mention... I was determined to push them to appear at the Monterey Pop festival, which we did"

WTF?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:59:12 PM by Daniel » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »

He's referring to the Big Sur festival in 1970 - in some circles it was referred to as Monterey Pop II

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx