gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:35:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jack Rieley Interview!  (Read 44379 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

OK, so I'm reading the interview, and the very first response makes the eyebrows go up about a foot. In response to being asked how he "first came to the band's attention", he stated "I did a documentary for radio called The Rise And Fall Of The Beach Boys at the beginning of the 70s". Now, I was the very first person to interview him about the BB in summer 1982, and when I asked pretty much the same question, no mention of any such doc. Has anyone here ever heard about it ? Thought not.

There are further 'problems' with some of his other answers...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

In recent years, there's been a lot of 'revisionism' from the major players in the band...
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »

OK, so I'm reading the interview, and the very first response makes the eyebrows go up about a foot. In response to being asked how he "first came to the band's attention", he stated "I did a documentary for radio called The Rise And Fall Of The Beach Boys at the beginning of the 70s". Now, I was the very first person to interview him about the BB in summer 1982, and when I asked pretty much the same question, no mention of any such doc. Has anyone here ever heard about it ? Thought not.

I'm guessing that radio documentary only exists in his head.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »

The Beach Boys lied to get their career started, though. Dennis told Hite Morgan the BBs had a surfing song when there was nothing in the can! Without Dennis' fib, the BBs might never have gotten a second chance to record. They shoulda kicked Dennis' lying arse outta the band!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

With the notable exception of the Holland episode (financially...not musically), I don't have a problem with Rieley's stewardship of the band. If he embellished a bit to gain his entre, so be it. Standard operating procedure in the world of business.

Somewhere's in my resume I state that I was responsible for increasing revenue by 135% in the first half of one year. Was it really 135%? No way to prove it...I only know that we were doing quite well and I was cooking. The main thing is that I needed hard numbers, so I pulled it out of my @$$. An embellishment...no more. And I will look you in the eye, hold my gaze and convince you of that fact. Bidniss.

People do whatever they have to do to get the 'magic ticket'. It's what they do with the ticket that matters.

And by the way Andrew...I also believe Jack played bass on those classic Motown recordings. Carol doesn't know what she's talking about  Grin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »

JFR claims the band played the Fillmore West and Howard University, DC during his tenure: unless the latter was the venue of the 1971 May Day gig, I have no record of them ever playing either.

Contrary to his claims, Bruce did play in the band alongside Blondie & Ricky: maybe only a handful of gigs, but they did share a stage.

Art director Ed Thrasher would dispute his version of how the sleeve of Surf's Up came to use "The End Of The Trail".

His version of the inclusion of "Sail On, Sailor" is totally at odds with that of Van Dyke, and as the legendary composition cassette proves, Van Dyke had rather more than "heard an early skeletal version".

Staying with VDP, he was the person who told the Reprise suits that if they called the 1971 album Surf's Up and included said track, they'd pre-sell 50,000 copies.

As has been long established, the Landlocked title was initially applied to Surf's Up, not CATP.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

His version of the inclusion of "Sail On, Sailor" is totally at odds with that of Van Dyke, and as the legendary composition cassette proves, Van Dyke had rather more than "heard an early skeletal version".

Staying with VDP, he was the person who told the Reprise suits that if they called the 1971 album Surf's Up and included said track, they'd pre-sell 50,000 copies.

For those of us who haven't read or don't have access to the interview, what is his story on "Sail On, Sailor"?

And "Surf's Up" for the matter? And while we're at it, the story of "Surf's Up" getting a release in '71 is a bit convoluted. You have Rieley in the past saying that when he became manager he got Brian to agree that it was a great song that needed to be released or something like that, with Brian vacillating after that between helping out and shying away, while ultimately coming through to get the coda recorded. All Van Dyke is known to have done with it (besides writing it in 1966) was mentioning the "pre-sell 50,000 copies" thing. So I guess both of those things could have happened. Neither really contradict each other.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »

Briefly, Reprise rang him in Holland when the master was delivered saying it was great but VDP says you're holding back a song he's heard, so he asked Brian and eventually BW remembered and played it down the phone to him.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »

Contrary to his claims, Bruce did play in the band alongside Blondie & Ricky: maybe only a handful of gigs, but they did share a stage.

I was at one of those shows with Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky -- Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA, March 30, 1972.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »

the 74 bob harris special has jack interviewed a lot. not sure what to make of his stories though....    Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »

As has been long established, the Landlocked title was initially applied to Surf's Up, not CATP.

I've seen this 50,000 copies quote before but the 1971 tom nolan rolling stone story has van saying 150,000 copies.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet.  And yes, I don't know any of you personally, but these ridiculous know it alls more often than not do not exist in real life ; the internet affords plenty of anonymonity and makes people feel invulnerable.  Not acknowledging any kind of a slippery slope and passimg judgment on all liars (including questioning decisions other posters have made in their personal life) requires a pretty lengthy defense, and perhaps this is not the appropriate forum (for god sakes this is the beach boys we're talking about).  So much for finding interesting thoughts/info on the interview. 

It's too bad there isn't too much info on JR.  For someone who had such an intimate relationship with the band there's really not a whole lot out there on the guy (maybe I just don't know where to look?)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2013, 05:27:54 PM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet.  And yes, I don't know any of you personally, but these ridiculous know it alls more often than not do not exist in real life ; the internet affords plenty of anonymonity and makes people feel invulnerable.  Not acknowledging any kind of a slippery slope and passimg judgment on all liars (including questioning decisions other posters have made in their personal life) requires a pretty lengthy defense, and perhaps this is not the appropriate forum (for god sakes this is the beach boys we're talking about).  So much for finding interesting thoughts/info on the interview. 

It's too bad there isn't too much info on JR.  For someone who had such an intimate relationship with the band there's really not a whole lot out there on the guy (maybe I just don't know where to look?)
Wait... Are you implying Andrew doesn't exist?

A discipline daddy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »

The Beach Boys lied to get their career started, though. Dennis told Hite Morgan the BBs had a surfing song when there was nothing in the can! Without Dennis' fib, the BBs might never have gotten a second chance to record.

+40467325127868

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

Wait... Are you implying Andrew doesn't exist?

Choose the red/blue pill ... 2 + 2 = 5.   Smokin Smokin Smokin Huh
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet.  And yes, I don't know any of you personally, but these ridiculous know it alls more often than not do not exist in real life ; the internet affords plenty of anonymonity and makes people feel invulnerable.  Not acknowledging any kind of a slippery slope and passimg judgment on all liars (including questioning decisions other posters have made in their personal life) requires a pretty lengthy defense, and perhaps this is not the appropriate forum (for god sakes this is the beach boys we're talking about).  So much for finding interesting thoughts/info on the interview.  

It's too bad there isn't too much info on JR.  For someone who had such an intimate relationship with the band there's really not a whole lot out there on the guy (maybe I just don't know where to look?)
I have never been an Internet bully, nor will I ever become one. Now, I'm not sure that this post was pointed at me, but I have an opinion and I was brought up not to lie, especially at the expense of hurting another person. Now, this Jack Reiley sh*t happened 40 plus years ago and no matter how we feel about it, it ain't gonna change what happened. If you think lying your ass off is OK, then lie until your nose grows 12 feet long. Stories like Pinocchio were made so children learn the consequences of lying. Most of us were taught that lying was the worst thing you could do. I was grounded every time that I was caught in one. We grew up in different eras. If being a Liar is your thing, then fine, but for those of us who have grown up with integrity and have known the consequences of lying, I think we have a right to express it in this topic. Thanks for reading.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet.  And yes, I don't know any of you personally, but these ridiculous know it alls more often than not do not exist in real life ; the internet affords plenty of anonymonity and makes people feel invulnerable.  Not acknowledging any kind of a slippery slope and passimg judgment on all liars (including questioning decisions other posters have made in their personal life) requires a pretty lengthy defense, and perhaps this is not the appropriate forum (for god sakes this is the beach boys we're talking about).  So much for finding interesting thoughts/info on the interview.  

It's too bad there isn't too much info on JR.  For someone who had such an intimate relationship with the band there's really not a whole lot out there on the guy (maybe I just don't know where to look?)
I have never been an Internet bully, nor will I ever become one. Now, I'm not sure that this post was pointed at me, but I have an opinion and I was brought up not to lie, especially at the expense of hurting another person. Now, this Jack Reiley sh*t happened 40 plus years ago and no matter how we feel about it, it ain't gonna change what happened. If you think lying your ass off is OK, then lie until your nose grows 12 feet long. Stories like Pinocchio were made so children learn the consequences of lying. Most of us were taught that lying was the worst thing you could do. I was grounded every time that I was caught in one. We grew up in different eras. If being a Liar is your thing, then fine, but for those of us who have grown up with integrity and have known the consequences of lying, I think we have a right to express it in this topic. Thanks for reading.

You're welcome!  Maybe I need to revisit Pimochio.  It may give me the strength to muster up the integrity i will need to reveal to my children that Santa Claus doesn't exist.
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

I have become part of the problem here, will stop posting.  Apologies

-troll
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »

You're welcome!  Maybe I need to revisit Pimochio.  It may give me the strength to muster up the integrity i will need to reveal to my children that Santa Claus doesn't exist.
At the risk of being banned, I will say that you are pushing for a fight. Now you are being the condescending prick. I was bringing up a point that not lying was instilled in me and many others by our parents. Our parents used many methods to get that point across with the story of Pinocchio being one of the first movies that I saw as young child. When you grow up will realize that lying has major consequences, whether it is you lying, your wife or your children. Trust is a very important thing. Never under estimate its importance. Things like children lying to parents saying they don't drink or do drugs and then die in car accidents. Do you think that parent would have let them drive if their trust wasn't violated? People have committed suicide over spouses lying to them. It goes on and on. What Jack Reiley did was nothing compared to what others have done, but with bad intentions, he could have killed their career, bankrupted them or any number of things. We all lie, did my share of it when I was younger too, but the older I get the more I realize that I hurt a few people along the way. In retrospect, I wished I hadn't put them through it. On the whole, I got nothing good from it. You live and learn.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet. 
It's not dishonest if the person really is arrogant and bullying.

I'm glad this forum isn't over-moderated, but people really should ask themselves "will anyone else ever want to read this for any reason?" before publicly posting things that NO ONE NEEDS TO READ. Most of us come on here and lurk because we are fans of the group, and we want to relax. It gets exhausting when I have to wade through page upon page of useless BS.

People who snipe back and forth on threads here (I know I have been guilty of it too) are eroding nanoseconds off of the lives of anonymous strangers. Nobody cares!

- B00ts
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »

There's not much about him at all, and he seems to rarely give interviews, which is fine, his prerogative. Snag is, when he does speak, it tends to more than somewhat contradict not only what he's said - or not said - before but also established BB history (and yeah, I know, several folk here have spent considerable time and effort correcting or, more often, debunking that history, but you get my point).

As for the internet affording anonymity, yes, if that's your choice: I tend not to, because aside from my writing style being far too recognisable, I don't want anyone else credited with my shattering insight, pithy commentary and astonishing revelations.  Grin

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »

I have become part of the problem here, will stop posting.  Apologies

-troll

Well you will certainly be missed.

....who are you?

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »

Jack's recall of historical detail can certainly be questioned (as can Al's - for sure), but the wildcard here is whether interview information is recalled to fit an agenda. And if you want to dovetail that into a questionable resume / hype job some 40+ years ago, well...that's a fair cop. I just reacted the way I did because I feel there's a fair amount of self righteousness going on here. Didn't we have an earlier thread about the very same thing? And like a fish going for a lure, we tugged on that 'credibility' line for all it was worth.

And by the way, if you ever get fired...say you got 'downsized'. Twist that black mark till you have a pretzel!  Wink

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2013, 12:44:04 AM »

Not just Jack and Al.  Mike 'forgets' he wrote Goin' to the Beach...?  Really? Then rediscovers it for release on MIC. The same track he's referred to in various interviews over the years. How many times is Brian straight with an interviewer?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:31 AM »

You know what's dishonest?  Projecting an arrogant, bully personality on the Internet.  And yes, I don't know any of you personally, but these ridiculous know it alls more often than not do not exist in real life ; the internet affords plenty of anonymonity and makes people feel invulnerable…

I wish more folk would post under their real names. Gets rid of the anonymity probelm and perhaps makes folk think a little more before they hit the "post" button.

I used to post a ton of crap under the pseudonym Wee Helper; now I post the same ton of crap under my real name, but at least I'm accepting responsibility for that crap.

Moan over…  :D

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx