gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681477 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 11:56:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Between Knebworth and DC  (Read 4826 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »

The only other thing I can think it might be is post-show sweetening which is highly possible, especially considering how on those back ups sound in "Do It Again" but if that was the case, you'd think they would have cleaned up the overall mix because it's pretty muddy.

The July 4th, '80 show was overdubbed/sweetened in the studio before the edited version ran on HBO. This was mentioned as far back as SU (the book).

Somewhere...I have a VHS tape that I made of the show off of HBO with my very first Panasonic VHS VCR when they re-ran it a couple of years later. Remember those ol' electronic dinosaurs (wired remote!)...lol? Smiley
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:07 AM »

Indeed I do! Old Man

LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:14 AM »

Does a version of the 1980 DC show without any overdubs circulate? You can tell that the drums are overdubbed, because they're louder than any other instrument. I wonder if Dennis even plays on the overdubbed tracks? There's a clip of the DC show on the American Band documentary, and the audio doesn't even match up with the footage.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:46 AM »

Does a version of the 1980 DC show without any overdubs circulate? You can tell that the drums are overdubbed, because they're louder than any other instrument. I wonder if Dennis even plays on the overdubbed tracks? There's a clip of the DC show on the American Band documentary, and the audio doesn't even match up with the footage.  Grin
As an FM broadcast, yes. Video-wise, possibly Undecided

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 02:51:22 AM »

Is there much of a noticeable difference between the "raw" broadcast, and the overdubbed HBO special?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 05:18:52 AM »

Is there much of a noticeable difference between the "raw" broadcast, and the overdubbed HBO special?

All I have is a fairly lousy sounding audience recording of the unedited show -- not the one that apparently ran in DC on the FM and in NYC on the AM. I'd reckon that those "pro recordings" would probably be a better frame of reference if anyone has them.

I will say this much though: It truly is a "sound to behold" when Brian suddenly becomes audible on "Wouldn't It Be Nice," as the song starts to progress along, for that '80 show.  Cry
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx