gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:18:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-backing vocal parts of BB songs not sung by BBs  (Read 5414 times)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »

There's a female voice singing lead in "Be Here in the Morning" on the lines "It's been such a long day so you better hurry home" and the corresponding lines in the other verses. Marilyn? Diane? Or am I crazy and that's actually Brian sounding very feminine? I could swear I've read somewhere that that is a woman singing though.
Yeah, I think that's Al.

On another note about Be Here in the Morning, Papa Murry sings bass on the responding parts. I believe the story goes that mike was in India, thus, he wasn't there to sing his bass lines.
Something I've always wondered about that story: if Mike was away for the recording, then why was he given a writing credit on that song? Logically, wouldn't he have to have been at the recording to have had some lyrical imput?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »

Naw, songs are (usually!) written before they're recorded. ^_^
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:35:10 AM by You've Lost That Ailing Vomit Feeling » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »

The Honeys on the single version of Be True To Your School
Billy H on My Solution (I think)
Audree Wilson on What is a Young girl made of
Marilyn on You're so Good to Me (I don't think this was mentioned yet)
Karen Lamn on Love Surrounds Me (I think!)
Terry Melcher, Diane, and Marilyn on the extended accapella ending to God Only Knows (rumored)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:41:40 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »

There's a female voice singing lead in "Be Here in the Morning" on the lines "It's been such a long day so you better hurry home" and the corresponding lines in the other verses. Marilyn? Diane? Or am I crazy and that's actually Brian sounding very feminine? I could swear I've read somewhere that that is a woman singing though.
That's Al, sped up.
I agree that Al's voice sounds somewhat "girley" but I doubt that it's sped up. Keep in mind that the tempo is rather slow & we hear Al's usual tone, only set in a very high falsetto. Nothing else.

If memory serves, there are no Beach Boys singing background vocals on 'Livin' With A Heartache'.

Yeah I just checked: Curt Becher, Terry Melcher and Jon Joyce. For years I thought I heard Bruce J. on bg vocals but I guess not.
Interesting info, I wasn't aware of it. Thought it's Bruce too. However, if that Curt Becher is Curt Boettcher, then I see why some people heard Bruce in the backgrounds. The 2 have similar voices, both being tender & kinda effeminate, if I may say so.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:46:08 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »

I could be making this up but I'm pretty sure I read that it was sped up. I've also tried slowing down the song about a semitone and it sounded just like normal, non-girly Al.
Don't want to seem demanding, Zach, but I'd like it if you shared the link to the readable source. TIA.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »

Isn't Al or Brian's voice at that point in the song recorded/sung through an amp? Or is that a different part?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »

That's Al, sped up.
I agree that Al's voice sounds somewhat "girley" but I doubt that it's sped up. Keep in mind that the tempo is rather slow & we hear Al's usual tone, only set in a very high falsetto. Nothing else.

I could be making this up but I'm pretty sure I read that it was sped up. I've also tried slowing down the song about a semitone and it sounded just like normal, non-girly Al.

The source I've heard quoted is some dude name of Alan Charles Jardine. Someone asked him who it was and he said "me".  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
zachrwolfe
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:46:03 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »

2efloW hcaZ: from Mr. Doe's explanation, it seems like Al sang BHIM in his original voice, only extremely high-pitched. If there were used some effects, it's definitely not sth. concerning the speed. Otherwise, Al would reveal so.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »

It's not sped up. It's just just his normal voice in a higher register. It sounds so strange because it's probably the highest we've heard him sing.

Carl sings through a leslie cabinet in the second chorus of BHIM.
Paulos
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:46 AM »

It's not sped up. It's just just his normal voice in a higher register. It sounds so strange because it's probably the highest we've heard him sing.

Carl sings through a leslie cabinet in the second chorus of BHIM.

I know the real reason Al was able to sing so high, much like the part in Endless Harmony where Al pinches Brians nose so he can emulate Mike, someone had a good firm grip on Al's balls while he did his vocal take for Be Here In The Morning. The identity of the aforementioned ball-grabber seems to be lost to history..
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »

Purty sure it's been said to have been sped up, and it really sounds like it to me. Lots of their stuff was sped up back then, see "How She Boogalooed It" on the album prior.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:45:55 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx