gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:20:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in current Rock Cellar magazine  (Read 11155 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »

I'd love to hear the original version of "Keepin The Summer Alive". Wonder if an early Brucified mix exists.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »

Totally psyched to read this special edition. Loved all the interviews.

Some impressions:

Brian continues to back away from the "genius" label. I don't blame him. That's a lot of pressure to live up to.

Bruce is a bit prickly, ain't he?

David seems fairly charitable to Murry.  I know a lot of people just put his abusive behavior down to his being a product of his time. Parenting must have changed when I grew up in the 60's then, because, while spanking was OK, beating never was.

Alan Boyd has a great job, doesn't he?
I fail to see the difference between spanking and beating. I grew up in the 60's too, and a spanking was a beating. A smack in the puss wasn't off limits either, though rarely done. That was the parenting style back then, as mentioned by Dave in the article. I had a few friends who used to get a belt whipping, but my mother used to absolutely forbid it in my house, having gone through that with her father, as a kid. My father would threaten it by taking the belt off and snapping it. That was quite enough to get our full and undivided attention. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »

Really enjoyed the Dave Marks interview.

Would be great to read that letter to his folks! LOL
Page 92...The Lost Beach Boy book
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »

I like Bruce, but jeez...calling Friends wimpy when he wrote wimpy tunes is sort of the pot calling the kettle black.....

Don't forget Bruce is a rock hard Republican capitalist.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »

I see links to my upload of YLTLF [Boot] and The single Version of CS/C. I love things like that.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »

I like Bruce, but jeez...calling Friends wimpy when he wrote wimpy tunes is sort of the pot calling the kettle black.....

Does Bruce even remember Friends??

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »

Shouldn't this quote just about clear up countless reams of threads?

Brian Wilson: Well, Mike had music ideas besides lyrics. So he helped me out with the music and his lyrics were really really creative. Some of my favorite Mike lyrics are California Girls, Good Vibrations and Do it Again was another great one that we wrote. I also like Warmth of the Sun. that was a very sweet and sorrowful song.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »

Shouldn't this quote just about clear up countless reams of threads?

Brian Wilson: Well, Mike had music ideas besides lyrics. So he helped me out with the music and his lyrics were really really creative. Some of my favorite Mike lyrics are California Girls, Good Vibrations and Do it Again was another great one that we wrote. I also like Warmth of the Sun. that was a very sweet and sorrowful song.

I don't think much of what Brian says in a given interview can clear much up, as he usually contradicts some or most of it later on, depending on a whole slew of factors.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »

Most interesting to me is the AB and MLinterview and discussing vault tracks, and why certain tracks didn't make the box.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/made-in-california-producers-alan-boyd-dennis-wolfe-mark-linett-beach-boys-interview/2/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »

Oh man....I forgot that was in there!

Re-read and chuckling. LOL
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »

Oh man....I forgot that was in there!

Re-read and chuckling. LOL
It's a classic!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »

"About ten years later somebody at CBS decided the tapes had to get out of there and rather than go through all of the tapes, they sent somebody over there with a bandsaw and cut all the reels in half and threw them into the dumpster. Nobody cared. It’s a shame."

Ugh that killed me

"As a matter of fact, Mike was talking about how one of his dream projects would be a box set with one disc highlighting each of the group members’ strongest moments over the years, which is incidentally something that Mark (Linett) has been wanting to do for many years too."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQCP85FngzE
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:27:52 PM by chrs_mrgn » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »

Yeah, really terrific stuff from everybody. Kudos to the interviewers. Nice to see Bruce plugging Bill Yerkes' book--while we've had just a ton of great material from Jon and Ian, Mark Dillon, etc. (and we still await you, Mike Eder!!!), that photo book from the 60s tours is a really nice piece of work. Bruce's comment about Dennis writing songs to pick up chicks is pretty darned funny!

And, let's note, a lot of very solid kudos passed out to Mike for his efforts in support of MIC.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »

Taking all the factors into account... no. I wouldn't - couldn't - do it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:21:23 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »

"I did not like the Friends album because I thought it was wimpy. I don’t think we were doing anything where Brian was at full strength. We had to do some of the Friends stuff on the road and it just used to make me wince because it was wimpy."
-Bruce

This coming from the guy who wrote "Tears In The Morning"?

I was gonna come on here and trash Bruce for the "wimpy" thing as well, but you know what? Yeah, he wrote wimpy stuff, which I'm sure he will admit. But I think what he liked from Brian was his more dynamic stuff. And dynamic doesn't necessarily mean uptempo. It could mean anything from "Wouldn't It Be Nice" to "Surf's Up" to "Surfin' U.S.A." to "Caroline No" to whatever. And to be honest, Friends really isn't that dynamic. So I can see what he's saying. Honestly, for all the their albums from Pet Sounds through Holland, I'd say that Friends is my least favorite. The vibe is okay, but I kinda do agree that the songs themselves aren't really there, which I don't think I would say about Brian's work on any of the other albums around this time period. Honestly, I think he did the whole Friends type sound better on "I Went To Sleep" from 20/20.

Also, what a great interview from him. I feel like you really get a better vibe for the background of each album from Bruce's interviews then you do from Brian or Mike.

Leaving aside the hypocrisy of Bruce 'Tears In The Morning' Johnston's comment, I just think his description of Friends as "wimpy" is just plain inaccurate. Friends is laid-back, it's mellow, but wimpy? Nah. (It's also incredibly creative and artistically inventive, but we're just talking vibes here so I wont go into that...)
MBE
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 06:50:09 AM »

Yeah, really terrific stuff from everybody. Kudos to the interviewers. Nice to see Bruce plugging Bill Yerkes' book--while we've had just a ton of great material from Jon and Ian, Mark Dillon, etc. (and we still await you, Mike Eder!!!), that photo book from the 60s tours is a really nice piece of work. Bruce's comment about Dennis writing songs to pick up chicks is pretty darned funny!

And, let's note, a lot of very solid kudos passed out to Mike for his efforts in support of MIC.
Thank you. I do have good news in that I will be preparing a proposal in about a month. In other words it might FINALLY come out next year.
Paulos
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »

Who knew that Bruce was such a big fan of Smiley Smile? I thought it was said that he had very little to do with it, so I was surprised (and delighted) to see him singing Smiley's praises. Also had no idea that he was instrumental in getting Blondie and Ricky onboard, that normally gets attributed to Al and Carl.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »

WIMPY (OR NOT) - VOL 1:

Tears in the morning
Lookin' at tomorrow
When girls get together
Disney girls
Busy doin' nothin'
Matchpoint of our love
Hold on dear brother
I don't wanna know
The surfer moon
The nearest faraway place
Let's go away for a while
She's goin' bald
Everyone's in love with you
I'm so lonely
She believes in love again
Make it good
Ballad of ole Betsy

Smiley

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:52:19 PM by bsten » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 02:32:54 AM »

"As a matter of fact, Mike was talking about how one of his dream projects would be a box set with one disc highlighting each of the group members’ strongest moments over the years, which is incidentally something that Mark (Linett) has been wanting to do for many years too."

The "Bruce's finest moments" disc would leave about 50 minutes of space for hidden tracks, I estimate... Evil

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 03:14:18 AM »

The "Bruce's finest moments" disc would leave about 50 minutes of space for hidden tracks, I estimate... Evil

I do love his 'Maksha At Midnight', however. Superb edelkitsch.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »

Some impressions:

Brian continues to back away from the "genius" label. I don't blame him. That's a lot of pressure to live up to.

David seems fairly charitable to Murry.  I know a lot of people just put his abusive behavior down to his being a product of his time. Parenting must have changed when I grew up in the 60's then, because, while spanking was OK, beating never was.

I fail to see the difference between spanking and beating. I grew up in the 60's too, and a spanking was a beating. A smack in the puss wasn't off limits either, though rarely done. That was the parenting style back then, as mentioned by Dave in the article. I had a few friends who used to get a belt whipping, but my mother used to absolutely forbid it in my house, having gone through that with her father, as a kid. My father would threaten it by taking the belt off and snapping it. That was quite enough to get our full and undivided attention. Wink
smack in the puss?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »

Some impressions:

David seems fairly charitable to Murry.  I know a lot of people just put his abusive behavior down to his being a product of his time. Parenting must have changed when I grew up in the 60's then, because, while spanking was OK, beating never was.

smack in the puss?
Puss = Face

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »

Taking all the factors into account... no. I wouldn't - couldn't - do it.
Yeah, I gotta agree with AGD here, I met Alan about a year ago, and it seems like he's the "Carl" of the group now, not musically (though Boyd is so underratedly musically talented), anyways, during the making of MIC, he had to be the bridge between Mike's camp and Brian's camp, which couldn't be an easy task.

Let alone, we all know what health condition Alan was in about a year ago this past summer, I wouldn't blame it on one person or situation, but you could trace what was going on in BB world and Alan's health and possibly notice a correlation.

But besides that, I know it would be fun going into the vaults for audio and film.
I think he should write a book!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »

Just read the Bruce interview - very interesting. I think he's dead on right about the Warmth of the Sun being Brian and Mike's best moment, and possibly the Beach Boys. As much as I love everything the Beach Boys have done, it is undeniable that their LEGACY and what will live on forever is their mid-60s output. The brilliance of Warmth of the Sun reminds me what the universal meaning of the Beach Boys is (e.g. it's not the squabbling, it's not the reunion, it's not really anything post Good Vibrations). Although it's disappointing that the post GV era is not generally appreciated, I think we can celebrate the fact that early to mid 60s work has left an indelible imprint on American culture.

ANYWAY, this struck me as pretty interesting, and would love to hear what he had intended the KTSA song to sound like:

"It would have been a great rebuilding track for the band.  Carl wrote that song with Randy Bachman. I decided this is like Jan & Dean’s Surf City meets Bachman Turner Overdrive except we’re gonna record it. I had that thing exploding; I had drums for days. It was very powerful. But Carl came in and made it gentler, unfortunately. He made it so light that I lost all the muscle of probably the only up-tempo track from that album that could have been a radio record. That would have been a great hit, Beach Boys with a Bachman Turner Overdrive groove. Man, I’m so frustrated about that!"

PS - it is annoying how he goes out of his way to basically put Brian and Mike on the same level. But whatever. It's probably true that for years Mike did not get his due for the lyrics that he did contribute.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx