gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Believe in Miracles and Can't Wait Too Long  (Read 16729 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 02:03:45 AM »

I've listened to this a few times and while there are great similarities I don't think this match-up quite works.  However, that doesn't rule out the idea that they could be related – extracts from different sections of the same tune. Or suite*.

* I hereby refute all responsibility for the ensuing debate/argument/fight that use of the word "suite" may provoke.

“We live in divisive times.”
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »

I think Miracles could very well be part of Child now. The chords seem to be different, but Miracles could just be adding different voicings. They're certainly in the same key and the tempos are exactly the same. And they sound amazing together!

thanks again, Ebb and Flow!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:22:05 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »

I still hear more of a resemblance to CIFOTM.

Easy my child, it's just enough to believe
(I believe, I believe, I believe)
Out of the wild into what you can't conceive...

https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/cifotm-i-believe-in-miracles

Unbeliveble!
It makes sense to me!
Puts Child.. in different perspective!
Tnx for this piece of work

Agreed. This is wonderful, Ebb and Flow.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »

Just for the record, I called it.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

thanks DM!
Natural E
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »

For those who may be interested, a couple of CWTL edits I've done myself:

A representative sampling of certain parts of CWTL:

https://soundcloud.com/natural-e-tunes/cant-wait-too-long-custom-edit

CWTL from MiC followed by remaining parts of the Linnet edit, with the guitar part which sounds to me like a GV sessions outtake:

https://soundcloud.com/natural-e-tunes/cant-wait-too-long-i-believe

Don't Break My Heart vocal snippet + I Believe In Miracles:

https://soundcloud.com/natural-e-tunes/dont-break-my-heart-i-believe
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:36:44 AM by Natural E » Logged
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

Been rebuilding my BBs mix from the ground up since losing a hard drive and am once again obsessed with this Can't Wait Too Long snippet described in this thread.  However, the Archaeology track that I've found cuts out for a fraction of a second at 0:11.... Does anyone else have a copy without the glitch?  I can't remember if the cut out was always there when I've listened to the track in the past....The Linnet version on Secret Smile has no bass at all, so I'd love to find a glitchless copy of the Archaeology version!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »

I'm coming into this a few years late, but not knowing anything about the track, I'd just assumed "Miracles" was an excerpt of a rehearsal of "Little Bird".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »

I'm coming into this a few years late, but not knowing anything about the track, I'd just assumed "Miracles" was an excerpt of a rehearsal of "Little Bird".

Miracles dates from the Smiley Smile sessions. Not hearing the Little Bird connection...
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »

Miracles dates from the Smiley Smile sessions. Not hearing the Little Bird connection...

The underlying chords in the chorus of CIFOTM morphed into parts of Can't Wait Too Long (which Miracles seems to be a section of) and later "Little Bird" (the ending of which is a more direct rework of CIFOTM).  Even the fade of Surf's Up is an intentional reprisal of the chorus to CIFOTM, made even clearer by the 1971 vocal additions.  It's all over Brian's stuff from this period.
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »

The underlying chords in the chorus of CIFOTM morphed into parts of Can't Wait Too Long (which Miracles seems to be a section of) and later "Little Bird" (the ending of which is a more direct rework of CIFOTM).  Even the fade of Surf's Up is an intentional reprisal of the chorus to CIFOTM, made even clearer by the 1971 vocal additions.  It's all over Brian's stuff from this period.

You did a great just lining up the tempo on your soundcloud link, but those are clearly not the same chords in Miracles and CITFOTM, I don't really understand how anyone earlier in the thread agreed.... Brian used that swing rhythm/feel a lot in this period clearly in the CIFOTM call backs you mentioned, however, the first chord in Miracles is C#minor and where you have it lined up in your track is some sort of E6 with a root of F# which is not in a minor key. It's clearly dissonant, I think that's a case of people hearing what they want to hear. But I agree that the rhythm in Miracles is similar to a lot of things Brian was doing at the time. Similarly I don't hear any similarities in the chorus chords of Child and Can't Wait Too Long....   The boot that has Miracles and Can't Wait connected as one track was stitched together by Linnett, which I thought everyone agreed on.  Totally agree/have always heard the Little Bird/Child/Surfs Up connection. Just not hearing the same chords in the sections you mentioned.... Can't Wait is the son of Smile Windchimes, not CITFOTM, at least to me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:32:31 PM by superunison » Logged
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 06:30:33 PM »

I guess what I'm saying is that I can hear some sort of thread running through those tracks, just not quite in the way you're hearing them.  I think Brian just like experimenting with that feel.  You can also hear him do it on Cool Cool Water (Version 2) on The Smile Sessions where he transitions from Water/Dada into what sounds like the major chord version of Child.... Miracles is that same rhythm that seems like it was supposed to be a section of something but I still haven't quite figured out what else it's supposed to be piecing together.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »

A lot of this is extremely subjective and open to individual interpretation.  To me, the fact that Miracles and that section of CIFOTM work so well together isn't a coincidence or an example of people "hearing what they want to hear".  IMO they're two very similar compositions dating only months apart from a composer who was known to reuse material, especially from Smile.

Again, to me Miracles sounds extremely similar to "Baby you know that I, can't wait forever" mantra that appears on various sections of Can't Wait Too Long.  Whether it was Linnett who connected the two or not, the lineage/evolution of musical concept is still there, even if the chords or keys aren't always exactly the same.  To Brian these were "feels"...fragments of songs that could be salvaged like scrap metal and changed into something else.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx