gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:20:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Believe in Miracles and Can't Wait Too Long  (Read 16735 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »

So what's the story behind I Believe in Miracles?  We know that it was recorded during Smiley Smile, but more than one boot has it connected, literally, to Can't Wait Too Long, which was thought to have been started during Wild Honey.  The best clip I've heard is a 35 second track labeled "Can't Wait Too Long (fragment)" from Alternate Dumb Angel 1.  It includes I Believe in Miracles along with other CWTL-ish session material.

It could be a splice job I suppose, but it may well be that CWTL originated from the Smiley sessions.

Thoughts?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

I'd love to know more about that section, and the section after it on ADA1.

Speaking of that 2nd section after "I Believe In Miracles".. there's something up with the vocals. It definitely doesn't sound like a '67 - '68 group sound. Even when sped up.

I have a theory. Could the vocals be from around '79 - '80??  I know AGD said the only later work done on the song were some string overdubs recorded in 1980. But for the life of me, I can't place what era these vocals come from! And I definitely remember hearing that it was being considered for the LA Light Album (don't quote me).
Jason
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »

That version of Can't Wait Too Long with the I Believe in Miracles intro was from Mark Linett's 1988 compilation tape of Smile material. Also, Can't Wait Too Long was being considered for Keepin' the Summer Alive. However, Do You Like Worms was allegedly considered for LA.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »

That version of Can't Wait Too Long with the I Believe in Miracles intro was from Mark Linett's 1988 compilation tape of Smile material. Also, Can't Wait Too Long was being considered for Keepin' the Summer Alive. However, Do You Like Worms was allegedly considered for LA.

Ahh, yes. Thanks for the correction. Wasn't sure if it was KTSA or LA.

Any thoughts on that vocal part? I keep playing it at different speeds, but none of it makes sense. I mean, it really sounds like Brian on top of the stack, slowed down... but when you speed it up it doesn't fly. Only other thing I can think of is that it's gotta be from the late 70's or 1980.

The truth is out there.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »

Well, let's remember the fact that Can't Wait Too Long had vocal overdubs done at several points. Some were done during the Wild Honey sessions and some were done in mid-'68 after Friends had wrapped. I think the vocals in the part you reference are from mid-'68.

For the record, the Archaeology bootleg has a few assemblies of Can't Wait Too Long as well, the third of which contains this same segment in higher fidelity.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:34:36 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »

Well, let's remember the fact that Can't Wait Too Long had vocal overdubs done at several points. Some were done during the Wild Honey sessions and some were done in mid-'68 after Friends had wrapped. I think the vocals in the part you reference are from mid-'68.

Man, maybe you're right. He just sounds very un-Brian like, especially in the first half. But you can hear "the whine" poke through on the 2nd half. Very strange, and intriguing.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »

The whine is definitely there, which is why I'm inclined to put that vocal overdub in July of '68. The sessions on SOT 19 from late 1967 at Wally Heider and Brian's home don't have those vocal overdubs at all, but just for the part with the funky guitars and the other part with the fuzz bass and vibes. Granted, the July '68 sessions only circulate in piecemeal - those Archaeology assemblies, a lone outtake that for some reason ended up on SOT 17 (disc 1, track 12), and a vocal fragment from Get the Boot - so we might not have the whole picture. Maybe Desper might know if he's hanging around the board at all lately.

EDIT - based on AGD's sessionography, there were three sessions for Can't Wait Too Long in 1968 - two on July 25 and one on the 26th. Both at the home studio.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:54:30 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:46:36 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »

Are you guys talking about the highest part, kinda feminine sounding, that goes C#-E-Ab-Bb? That sounds more like a sped up Brian to me than a slowed down Brian to me.

I'm talking about the section after that in the sequence that's been booted a few times. Kickass section.. but the vocals sound a little strange.

Another thought TRBB.. I still have a hard time believing its Brian singing "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". He sounds pretty different there to my ears. So it could be a similar thing going on.

But what a cool track. I remember that "new" a capella section that popped up on Get The Boot. There's gotta be more in the vaults we haven't heard.

Can't Wait Too Long is the new SMiLE.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:23:20 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:46:32 PM by zatch » Logged
Jason
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »

To be honest, I think what we might be singling out as "Brian or not Brian" is just that insanely awesome blend. The sum is more than the parts. You can definitely hear it on Why Do Fools Fall In Love. Although, let's not discount the fact that Brian was capable of some ridiculously awesome notes in 1964. However, he couldn't even get Don't Worry Baby 100% right a few months later on the live version on the Concert!/Live in London two-fer. Just a matter of take after take until he was satisfied. Michael didn't call him "dog ears" for nothing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »

Here's another theory.. maybe its Dennis doing the high part. He was capable of the whine in that era. I kinda wish they had taken advantage of his falsetto when Brian started to pull back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TTY9BRCg-Ec#t=282 (4:45)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:21:44 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Jason
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »

It could very well be Dennis, possibly even Carl or Al, too.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:46:28 PM by zatch » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »

At any rate, the compilers' decision to include nothing else in the 'Miracles' track seems to indicate that the other booted CWTL material originated no earlier than late '67.  Presumably it also means that 'Miracles' is at most a forerunner of CWTL, and may have no real connection at all.
Jason
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »

I think it's just a fragment from the Smiley Smile sessions. Nothing less or more. One of those little sound bytes of greatness.

Can't Wait Too Long is a different animal.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »

Here's another theory.. maybe its Dennis doing the high part. He was capable of the whine in that era. I kinda wish they had taken advantage of his falsetto when Brian started to pull back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TTY9BRCg-Ec#t=282 (4:45)
I saw that a while back and was taken aback at how Brian-like his high note was.

Wow, Carl better at mock-drumming than Dennis was.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »

Over the last few days I've seen posts talking about a connection between I Believe In Miracles and Can't Wait To Long, but for the life of me I can't hear it. To me, I Believe In Miracles sounds more like a rejected/reworked Child Is Father Of The Man fragment.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »

Over the last few days I've seen posts talking about a connection between I Believe In Miracles and Can't Wait To Long, but for the life of me I can't hear it. To me, I Believe In Miracles sounds more like a rejected/reworked Child Is Father Of The Man fragment.

Listen to the bootlegged version and you'll hear the connection.

Also, blend sounds right to me on the booted version after the intro, I don't hear much weirdness. Dennis is a LOT louder than he normally is on other mixes, which may be what's throwing off. I think it's all '67, I have to imagine the later overdubs were on one of the Wild Honey versions, presumably the more "classic" sounding take and not the take that sounds more obviously Wild Honey-era. No idea why they'd put overdubs on an early Smiley Smile version which I doubt is much longer than what we have.

The "feminine" falsetto vocal, if not Brian, sounds a lot like Carl. Hard to say.

Any idea why just the intro vocal was released here? Why not all that exists of the song? Strange move, to me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

I've never heard that "second section" mentioned in this thread. At least not that I know of. Other than the GV box and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer, the only other fragment I've heard is from Get The Boot. I wish I could find a way to hear it.  police

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »

I've never heard that "second section" mentioned in this thread. At least not that I know of. Other than the GV box and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer, the only other fragment I've heard is from Get The Boot. I wish I could find a way to hear it.  police

It's on the old Odeon Smile bootleg. You could probably easily find it online as long as you fuckin' PROMISE you'll buy seventeen copies of the Smile Sessions box as compensation for the horrific crime of existing on the same planet as bootlegged material.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 01:26:14 AM »

Also, get the Archaeology boot and hear vocal overdubs that you can't hear anywhere else.

A discipline daddy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 01:45:19 AM »

Wow it's the first I've heard that I Believe In Miracles is from the Smiley sessions. I always heard it was from WH. Does that info come from the MIC book or what? So all of us convinced it was Smile era for so long were not too far off.

The second section that I know of is beautiful and also sounds really smile. It has similar backing as the Wild Honey era 'Been Way Too Long Baby' part but starts with handclaps then has a wordless vocal in place of the lyrics. There's a 37 second edit on odeon that features Miracles and this section edited together. I also have a longer 1.50 edit (now mislabelled so not sure what boot it's from, maybe secret smile?) that has these two sections followed by the more familiar 'Been Way Too Long Baby' part, then Brian singing 'Baby you know that I can't wait forever'. This fourth part sounds more crudely edited into the sequence than the preceding bits. I assume parts 2, 3 and 4 all come from the WH sessions. I wonder who made this edit with miracles as the intro or of it is a BW vintage edit. The Miracles intro certainly fits with the other parts. I wish Alan Boyd or somebody could shed some light on this.

Where does the Miracles name come from? Was that a tape box label, or from session chatter I wonder?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »

The high, female sounding harmony vocals on this track are Diane and Marilyn, right?  If so, that does play with the Smiley Smile chronology, since they also sang on "Wonderful".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

Alright, after listening to the fragments to the point of near insanity, I have concluded that....I have no fuckin' idea.  Grin My best guess is that the "whine" is Brian, but *possibly* coming from a different time period that the track itself. The lower "uuuuugh" voice on top of the blend is most likely Dennis. Now, the syncopated "baby you know I've been waiting forever" heard way in the background has an odd voice. It sounds like mid 70's Brian, or possibly Carl.

But then again, I may just be misunderstanding this whole thread, and going about it all wrong.  LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx