gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:52:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three Worst Beach Boys singles  (Read 7810 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 12:58:28 AM »

1. Happy Endings
2. Little Deuce Coupe w/ James House
3. Summer Of Love
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 01:01:17 AM »

I'm surprised to see East Meets West on several people's lists. I think that's one of the best songs they did in the 1980s (although I know that doesn't say much).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 01:52:27 AM »

Problem Child
Little Girl I Once Knew
Wipe Out

Huh? Little Girl I Once Knew?? Wow, what don't you like about it? (It's probably my own personal favourite pre-Pet Sounds track, period, let alone favourite single).

Anyway...

Here Comes The Night (disco)
Fun Fun Fun (with the Quo)
Wipe Out

Yeah, I don't quite know why, but I just don't like the song. I dig it on a production level, but nothing else about it appeals to me. It just seems overly dorky to me and not in an endearing way. I think it would have worked much better as an album track than a standalone single..... I dunno. Maybe I'll go give it a few more listens. I certainly would never call it bad. I mean Summer Of Love is BAD but in the most entertaining way possible and it IS damn catchy at the same time.

Ok, well to me personally the chorus kicking back in after the mid-song musical interlude is one of the greatest moments in their entire catalogue, but each to their own... Hell, Holland is your favourite Beach Boys album so I'm certainly not about to question your superb taste! Smiley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 04:36:56 AM »

These are the singles I find immensely boring:

1. Bluebirds over the Mountains (even the video, while being kind of entertaining, didn't help for tolerating the song)
2. Happy Endings (as Mr. John Stone, I don't get how it turned out that Little Richard sang with the Boys the slow number, not sth. from fast songs)
3. Tears in the Morning (since the title of the thread doesn't specifically mention of naming only US or UK singles, so here we have BJ dreck. Plus I heard that the Netherlands is like the the 3rd main music-charting country. Then go Australia, Germany, New Zealand & the rest)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 05:43:16 AM »

Definitely Rock and Roll Music/TM Song. It's like they deliberately picked the two worst songs on the album.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »

Definitely Rock and Roll Music/TM Song. It's like they deliberately picked the two worst songs on the album.

If we're judging singles by both sides, my vote goes to Susie Cincinnati b/w Everyone's In Love with You.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 06:04:36 AM »

Definitely Rock and Roll Music/TM Song.
I enjoy both of these songs & regarding TM Song, it's my most favorite 15BO track. Generally, I like almost every suggested song here, f.ex., East Meets West is the real treat. Same is Rock & Roll to the Rescue with groovy aeroplane sounds at the end.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »

Weirdly, I think the first two Beach Boys songs I heard were Wipeout and Happy Endings.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »

I know I'm supposed to dislike "Wipeout", but I don't. It's not that I seek it out, but I do have it on a comp (the later years) in my car. It's very Brian, I sometimes find myself singing  Embarrassed  the "wipe it out wipe out, wah wah wah" part. I don't know....it's fun, it's harmless. I think, like "Forever" with Stamos, it brought some new fans to the band; that video was played a lot.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »

'Wipeout' is not that bad if you just judge it for what it is. Of course it's not a good Beach Boys song, but as a hip hop novelty song, it's fun enough.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »

I've always thought TM Song had a killer backing track Shrug

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »

I also enjoy Wipeout for Brian's vocals.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »

I've always thought TM Song had a killer backing track Shrug

I think so too. It's a very Friends song overall, which can't be bad as far as I'm concerned. Don't mind the lyrics at all, they're funny.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 05:32:01 AM »

1. Summer Of Love.
2. Wipe Out.
3. Peggy Sue.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:53:12 AM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 05:34:25 AM »

3. Fun, Fun, Fun (With Status Quo).

This was a Status Quo single ft. The Beach Boys, not the other way around.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 06:19:15 AM »

Never understood how they could choose Tears in the Morning as a single. I don't mind the song per se but come on, a single from your supposed comeback album?

It was a hit.
Was it? I can't find it in my British Charts book and i can't remember it being a hit. I can't find it in Brad Ellliot's list of charting BB records either.  
In truth, I had to wait another 30 years to discover it came from an album called Sunflower...

Edit: Sorry, phirnis, you're quite right. I see it went top 5 in my home country of the Netherlands. I hadn't moved there yet so it didn't register. Well done, the Dutch! :=) 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:32:06 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Nicko1234
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 06:29:53 AM »

Was it? I can't find it in my British Charts book and i can't remember it being a hit. I can't find it in Brad Ellliot's list of charting BB records either.   

In truth, I had to wait another 30 years to discover it came from an album called Sunflower...

I admire your diligence in spending 7 months reasearching.  Wink

Number 4 in the Netherlands which is why it is occasionally included on compilations I guess.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »

I just looked it up, "Summer Of Love" was originally the B-Side to "Hot Fun In The Summertime" and issued later as an A-Side.

My choices for worst A-sides are: "Summer Of Love", "Hot Fun In The Summertime" and "Child Of Winter". I just listened to "Happy Endings" for the first time, that is, I only listened to parts of it, because it is terrible. An A/B comparison with "Child Of Winter" though made me choose the latter.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:40 AM »

I admire your diligence in spending 7 months researching.  Wink
Haha. i only saw this topic an hour ago. There's an awful lot to plough through over here. I've abandoned any thoughts of investigating the Smile discussion----life's too short!

On the subject of awful, the only BB single that makes me cringe is "Happy Endings". Others were unfortunate for different reasons ("Ten Little Indians", "Then I Kissed Her" in '67) but nothing comes anywhere close to "Happy Endings" for sheer awfulness. Evidently two plusses can make a minus.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:01 AM »

1. Kokomo
2. Kokomo
3. Kokomo
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »

I don't really listen to 80's BB so for me I would have to say:

1) I Can Hear Music
2) Bluebirds over the Mountain
3)Add Some Music to your Day
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2014, 08:06:27 AM »

Oh man, take 1 and 3 over to the unpopular opinions thread  Grin

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »

I kind of can't believe anyone is listing anything from the 60s or even 70s (sans the '78 "Here Comes The Night", maybe) over anything from the 80s or 90s. D =

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx