gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:25:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live At QVC Marine Field Chiba....Video  (Read 8669 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »

I sure would like my own copy of this show. I don't have the skills on a computer.

I don't either but I used the keepvid programme mentioned above and had it done in minutes.

If you can manage to post here, you can get it to work.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:37 PM »

There are moments in H&V where we hear Brian but we clearly see he is not singing.  And a lot of the lead vocals seemed double tracked.  Didn't this broadcast live?
Nicko1234
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

There are moments in H&V where we hear Brian but we clearly see he is not singing.  And a lot of the lead vocals seemed double tracked.  Didn't this broadcast live?

This is indeed rather amusing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »

Unlikely it was broadcast live but can't say for sure.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »

The most noticeable places were the vocals are double tracked are Heroes and Villains, TWGMTR, Isn't it Time, and Wouldn't It Be Nice.
Nicko1234
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »

It was broadcast on September 23rd I believe.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »

Scott Totten stated that no way, no how did the band use any kind of pre-recorded parts on stage, yet, IIT, for example, has the studio vocals flown-in in places for this airing (the studio single a capella  intro as well). So, it couldn't have been live. There's a few other moments as well ...Brian's aforementioned lead on H&V for one.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »

Scott Totten stated that no way, no how did the band use any kind of pre-recorded parts on stage, yet, IIT, for example, has the studio vocals flown-in in places for this airing (the studio single a capella  intro as well). So, it couldn't have been live. There's a few other moments as well ...Brian's aforementioned lead on H&V for one.

Yes but live on stage and a live (yet delayed broadcast) TV concert a two different beasts.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »

It was broadcast on September 23rd I believe.

Ok I thought it was broadcast live as the show was happening and these effects were done on the spot.  If it didn't air till about a full month later, it's very clear now they did some cleaning up in a lot of places for the vocals. 
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

Yes but live on stage and a live (yet delayed broadcast) TV concert a two different beasts.

I'm not catching your drift here. Or...maybe we're simply misunderstanding one another. Smiley

There was post-production work done to the concert, so my point is simply that it wasn't broadcast live, as-it-happened.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »

I'm not catching your drift here. Or...maybe we're simply misunderstanding one another. Smiley

There was post-production work done to the concert, so my point is simply that it wasn't broadcast live, as-it-happened.

Yeah crossed wires somewhere. I'm saying Scott is right with his no pre-recorded vocals on stage, as is, on the night at the concert. Yet sometime between Aug 16 and the broadcast on the 23rd, flown in leads/ vocals were added.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:13:35 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »

Yeah crossed wires somewhere. I'm saying Scott is right with his no pre-recorded vocals on stage, as is, on the night at the concert. Yet sometime between Aug 16 and the broadcast on the 23rd, flown in leads/ vocals were added.

I'd have to research on YouTube (if a clip of the song is available) to reacquaint myself to know for 100% sure, but I saw the tour stop on June 1st in Berkeley, CA. At that stage, "Isn't It Time" had been added not too long prior, and I recall hearing elements of the studio recording in the house mix.

I didn't hear much of anything else like that on any other song as far as studio backing (other than Dennis' and Carl's leads of course), and no autotune was present, but it sounded like there were at least "stems" or individual elements of the studio recording being used as a backing/basis for the live performance of that one single song, "Isn't It Time."

There are other "field recordings" I've heard from the tour where a similar effect can be heard. I don't think they just cued up the CD copy of "Isn't It Time" and played and sang along to it; it sounded like they were using individual tracks or stems of the studio recording to beef the song up.  

Pretty much every recording from the actual concert tour that I've heard of the two tracks off the new album, from audience recordings on up to the official DVD/Blu-ray releases and the CD, have sounded like those two songs are always fudged with somehow. They always sound kind of murky with elements of the studio recording bleeding in and out of the recording.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:26:44 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »

Mozilla has an app entitled 'download helper', so that may help if you use Firefox.

Always enjoyed the MP3 of the show, so this video really brings it all home. Thanks much for the link.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »

I'd have to research on YouTube (if a clip of the song is available) to reacquaint myself to know for 100% sure, but I saw the tour stop on June 1st in Berkeley, CA. At that stage, "Isn't It Time" had been added not too long prior, and I recall hearing elements of the studio recording in the house mix.

I didn't hear much of anything else like that on any other song as far as studio backing (other than Dennis' and Carl's leads of course), and no autotune was present, but it sounded like there were at least "stems" or individual elements of the studio recording being used as a backing/basis for the live performance of that one single song, "Isn't It Time."

There are other "field recordings" I've heard from the tour where a similar effect can be heard. I don't think they just cued up the CD copy of "Isn't It Time" and played and sang along to it; it sounded like they were using individual tracks or stems of the studio recording to beef the song up.  

Pretty much every recording from the actual concert tour that I've heard of the two tracks off the new album, from audience recordings on up to the official DVD/Blu-ray releases and the CD, have sounded like those two songs are always fudged with somehow. They always sound kind of murky with elements of the studio recording bleeding in and out of the recording.

I suppose that could indeed be true, despite what Scott said, in that it's pretty common for bands to often include, at the very least, pre-recorded rhythm pads, percussion bits, keyboard "washes" and such from time-to-time. Even sequenced backing vocals at time to help thicken things up a bit. Don't know for sure if that's the case here, in that the "as-it-happened" Mermaid version sounds pretty real to my humble ears, as well as some of the live TV versions being pretty shambolic, but...

Though, I still think in the case of this concert broadcast, there's enough evidence that post-production work was done. Some of Brian's lead vocal work being a prime example (e.g. H&V, the double-tracked vocals...and probably studio version-embellished bridge of DIA, etc.), and perhaps more importantly, the fact the "IIT" has that a capella, multi-tracked Brian studio intro thing tagged on -- when I never heard that being sequenced/"faked" on any of the audience recordings I have (over the dark, nothing-actually-happening onstage, wide shot to boot). 

As I also mentioned in another thread, and even though they obviously remixed the respective Chiba tracks that ended up on the 2-CD set, in the case of "Then I Kissed Her" there's a backing vocal bit that appears right before the bridge that wasn't on *any* of the tour audience recordings I heard. So, either they did that in the studio, or they skillfully flew that (repetitive) vocal figure in from somewhere else. Sweetening far beyond just tuning and such, that is!

On a related note, I've also said before that it's the mixing of the 2-CD set that bugs me as much, if not more than any of the processing and fixes. Jeff's falsetto is mixed up way-too-much and naked at times for my tastes (e.g. compare the same performances of TLGIOK-Dallas from the NPR broadcast and Marcella-Phoenix from the tour DVD, respectively. Night and day mixing for identical performances.). That, and that whole sterility thing again.

(IMHO of course).  Smiley
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2013, 12:19:07 AM »

My last post here said that we did not use any pre-recorded background vocals during the tour.  We did use the footstomps and hand claps from Isn't It Time but played and sang live to it. 

I have not seen the Chiba footage.

Scott
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »

My last post here said that we did not use any pre-recorded background vocals during the tour.  We did use the footstomps and hand claps from Isn't It Time but played and sang live to it. 

I have not seen the Chiba footage.

Scott

You should check it out, you're actually featured quite prominently in it, moreso than on the officially released DVDs.

TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »

Ah, it's set to private now. Anyone here contact the poster to get the address?

Also, Scott is, and has been since my first BB show in 2004, my favorite part of the touring band. Kudos, sir.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »

Thank you, SonoraDick, for sharing the link!

I used http://keepvid.com/ to capture the video, but there may be better programs.

Thank you zane7570. Your suggestion has come in mighty useful. Especially now the clip has gone private.
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »

You're welcome!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx