gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:27:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastering Error on MIC Disc 3 ?  (Read 71742 times)
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:33:03 AM »

Now I'm just the messenger, haven't got my copy of MIC yet, but have heard from a customer who's otherwise satisfied with the set that there's a mastering error on Disc 3 - apparently the disc finishes before Surf's Up does, and each track has around 2 seconds of silence before the actual song starts. Anyone else in the UK or elsewhere finding this problem with Disc 3 ?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »

Now I'm just the messenger, haven't got my copy of MIC yet, but have heard from a customer who's otherwise satisfied with the set that there's a mastering error on Disc 3 - apparently the disc finishes before Surf's Up does, and each track has around 2 seconds of silence before the actual song starts. Anyone else in the UK or elsewhere finding this problem with Disc 3 ?
My Disc 3 ends 2 seconds after the song does. I have an issue with Disc 1, though. I Get Around  has a skipping error when playing, although it rips OK with "minor errors".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:04:54 AM »

Mine's fine all the way through.

EDIT:.....but all the songs do start 2 seconds in. Nothing's missing, though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:39:57 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jason
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »

I think the issue is that the streaming versions have the snafus on Disc 3 but nowhere else. I haven't bought the box yet (can't afford it yet), so my only reference is the streaming version on Rhapsody.
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »

Anyone also hear the digital glitches on Cotton Fields? These are the same as on the Hawthorne set. I always thought just my copy was messed up until they showed up in the same places on MIC as well.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »

Mine's fine, no problems.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »

mine has the 2 second thing !

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »

Anyone also hear the digital glitches on Cotton Fields? These are the same as on the Hawthorne set. I always thought just my copy was messed up until they showed up in the same places on MIC as well.

The glitches aren't digital -- they were there from the beginning. It's just that the stereo mix with the isolated elements in each channel made the glitches much more pronounced.

They seemed to be less noticeable to me on MIC, though....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:02:22 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

yup.

The glitches aren't digital -- they were there from the beginning. It's just that the stereo mix with the isolated elements in each channel made the glitches much more pronounced.

They seemed to be less noticeable to me on MIC, though....

Ah!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:03:57 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »

I own the box and disc three does indeed have two seconds of silence before each track.  Surf's Up kinda of ends early, but the fade is almost over.   The two second gap is actually irratating when ripping for portable listening.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »

I own the box and disc three does indeed have two seconds of silence before each track.  Surf's Up kinda of ends early, but the fade is almost over.   The two second gap is actually irratating when ripping for portable listening.

You know, I noticed it with Darlin', but didn't pay attention to the other tracks. Yes, my disc 3 has the 2 seconds pre-append of silence. Though, Surf's Up still fades to silence before ending.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

I don't think I would have ever noticed that, but I checked my disc 3 and its like that. But there's no missing 2 seconds on surfs up
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »

My disc 3 also has the two seconds of silence before each track, and Surf's Up ends just a tad early -- it's at the very, very end of the fade, listen with headphones, it doesn't quite fade entirely, just stops about a second or two before it would otherwise fade to complete silence (at least compared with my Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer). Got my box set from ImportCDs if that's at all relevant.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »

My disc 3 also has the two seconds of silence before each track, and Surf's Up ends just a tad early -- it's at the very, very end of the fade, listen with headphones, it doesn't quite fade entirely, just stops about a second or two before it would otherwise fade to complete silence (at least compared with my Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer). Got my box set from ImportCDs if that's at all relevant.

The two-second issue seems to be a mastering issue. It obviously doesn't affect the fidelity of the recordings. It's an extremely minor nuisance at worst. Debatably sloppy mastering perhaps.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

My copy (purchased from Amazon) has the 2-second issue on Disc 3 as described. I noticed it mostly because the very beginning of "Do It Again," when I ripped it for iTunes, begins with the very end of the fade of the previous track. Then I noticed that the songs on the disc all seem to start at the 0:01 or 0:02 mark.

Just listened to the very end of "Surf's Up" via headphones. The *very* end of the fade does seem to be just slightly curtailed. Not a gigantic deal, but I'd take a replacement disc were it to be offered... Not going to picket Capitol over it or anything, though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:22:59 PM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »

I imagine this might be more of an issue for things like radio airplay. Doesn't really affect me as a listener.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:24:09 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »

I have the 2 seconds before each track thing.

My (WIBNT)LA has a few digital pops on it.

When I tried to rip the CDs, the last few songs on Disc One ripped with problems.  I could hear the CD drive making odd noises.  Not a big deal since they were all previously released tracks.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »

Yep, 2 seconds of silence on disc 3 - not something that remotely bothers me though... Occasionally the CDs do skip which is irritating, although if I skip back to the start of whichever track skipped it then plays absolutely fine. Seemed to be something that happened on first playing CDs but happens less and less on repeat plays, which is odd.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »

Yes, I have the 2 seconds ting too. Not very impressive.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »

I'm checking the CDs each time I remove them from the sleeve - noticed that the first picked up some detritus from the packaging which was stubborn to get off: slotted into the player it could have dislodged and caused problems.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »

I have the 2 s problem on my Disc 3.

My guess with the Cottonfields glitches is that they're from the Jew's Harp. I've found it's hard to play them without making a metallic clink now and then. An audio filter can eliminate them from the recording.

Watch out for snakes!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »

Yep.  Every song starts 0:02 into the track, so the last two seconds of the Surfs Up fade are missing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 12:48:43 AM »

I imagined slotting the CD's continuously in and out of the tight sleeves in the MIC booklet will result in them getting increasingly scratched so I keep mine in separate jewel cases. I do the same with TSS CD's - they haven't gone back into the box since the day I bought the box and took 'em out.
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »

My copy (purchased from Amazon) has the 2-second issue on Disc 3 as described. I noticed it mostly because the very beginning of "Do It Again," when I ripped it for iTunes, begins with the very end of the fade of the previous track.

Yeah i noticed this instantly. Do It Again begins with the echo from the end of Murray The K. All songs begin at 0:02. And Surf's Up does end abruptly.
Nippy
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »

Yeah i noticed this instantly. Do It Again begins with the echo from the end of Murray The K. All songs begin at 0:02. And Surf's Up does end abruptly.
Nippy

Noticed this exact same thing with Do It Again on Spotify Netherlands so presumably their source has the same fault. Have to be honest, this problem might potentially put me off ordering the set, unless it's only on some copies in which case I may take a gamble.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx