gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:53:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastering Error on MIC Disc 3 ?  (Read 71468 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 08:25:02 AM »

It's on my set too. It doesn't bother me but if they offer a free replacement, I'll take it.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »

It's on my set as well, and it does bother me. For a product that expensive, you'd think they'd pay attention to stuff like this.

I mean, I *could* fix it with the appropriate software, but it would take me a lot of time to do it right, and it doesn't mean it's a "normal issue". If a manufacturer sold me an expensive car but I had to re-program the transmission computer unit myself so it shifts when it's supposed to, I'd be pissed.

And I am a bit pissed about disc 3.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:35:25 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »

It is frustrating that, despite how much money they charged and we complied, that they would just push this through without even noticing their was a problem. It's possible to cut off the silence by making the song start at 0:02, but it is also rather abruptly sounding. If they help us out and fix this, I would be happy to download the 'fix,' but, if they can't, I'll probably end up doing it on my own.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »

Where's the quality control at Capitol?  Don't they listen to this stuff to make sure it's right?  This set has been brewing for over a year.  It's not like they rushed it out or anything!
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »

I played Disc 3 before reading this thread and didn't notice a thing !`
it's definitely there though , i can hear a tiny bit of Murray The K before Do It Agaim. Really not a problem whatsoever for me but i wouldn't criticise anyone who's annoyed , paid a lot for it. It doesn't affect the music in any major way though.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

Where's the quality control at Capitol?  Don't they listen to this stuff to make sure it's right?  This set has been brewing for over a year.  It's not like they rushed it out or anything!

Exactly. It's not like there hasn't been things wrong with prior Beach Boys' releases. The wrong take of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was used on Made In The U.S.A. The early Reprise CD's had multiple wrong versions used. There was a mastering problem with "Endless Harmony" on the Keepin' The Summer Alive CD. Weren't there some problems with the Good Vibrations boxed set - "Do You Like Worms" problem and the slow speed on "It's Over Now"? The 1988 Brian Wilson album CD reissue had glitches, too. I'm probably missing some. Heck, I'd do the quality control job for free!

Call me anal or obsessive compulsive or whatever, but these problems on MIC drive me nuts, not just because the mistakes got through, not just because it affects my listening pleasure, not just because it shows a lack of respect for The Beach Boys, but because of what the thing cost! This set should be recalled.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »

The biggest f*** up on here is on disc 5. If you skip to the final track, this awful, awful noise comes out of the speakers. I tried it on multiple stereos, even invaded Steve Hoffman's home at night and played it on his system fur reel analogue warmth and the results were the same. His wife was a beast of hues, I just couldn't look away. Surely this can't be intentional?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:50:44 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »

Yeah i noticed this instantly. Do It Again begins with the echo from the end of Murray The K. All songs begin at 0:02. And Surf's Up does end abruptly.
Nippy

Noticed this exact same thing with Do It Again on Spotify Netherlands so presumably their source has the same fault. Have to be honest, this problem might potentially put me off ordering the set, unless it's only on some copies in which case I may take a gamble.

You're going to not order a Beach Boys box set featuring Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, the California Feelin' demo, etc. because one of the six CD's has a two second pause at the start of each track?

I have a premium spotify account so I can listen to the music as much as I need (once effin spotify UK actually permits me to), plus I don't currently have a cd player hooked up so the appeal of the cds is minimal at the moment. The attraction for me would be the ability to put the mp3s into my uber BB playlist and now potentially I'd have to edit the start of some such as Do It Again to play properly. It just lessens the appeal of getting the actual cds for me.  If it was a vinyl set it would be a no brainer.

Of course the packaging and book are worthwhile so I'll probably get it, but might wait to see if there are sets without the mastering issue before committing.

Yes, it would take a whopping 4 minutes out of your life to correct.  Oh, the humanity.   Roll Eyes

Congratulations on that 'fix' Einstein, but if you actually listen to the transitions between the songs once you've clipped two seconds off you'll find them pretty abrupt. There's a reason that two seconds of space was put there in the first place. Plus your method doesn't solve the clipping at the end of the Murray The K Radio Spot and Surf's Up. To do it properly takes more time than I'm willing to spend to sort an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

A more positive attitude than yours, clearly.  Rather than whining about it, I found my own fix that suits me just fine.  If you wish to bemoan yourself over this "major" pressing issue, be my guest.  The sky ain't fallin' in my world.

If it's good enough for you that's great - I can accept it's not major and probably won't impact on most people's enjoyment of the music  - but personally I'd rather wait and see if the problem is remedied with future pressings and don't expect to be accused of whining when I express this preference.

No one said "The sky is falling!", hypehat simply said he'd wait until the error was fixed in a very calm, rational manner. The tone of your responses, to me, is much more indicative of a bad attitude than anything he or I have said.

Thanks, voice of reason (although you got the wrong hat!).

I openly admit to being a dick here.  Yes, the 2-second thing is an inconvenience.  However, it is a minor one.  And unless a replacement disc is forthcoming, there is an easy workaround here.  Using iTunes, I trimmed off the first two seconds of each track and went on with my day.  It is hardly a complicated procedure.  You just right-click on the track in question, select Get Info, select the Options tab and change that Start Time to 2 seconds.  But if we're too snobby for iTunes, there are plenty of other ways to pull this off.  Is it that big of a deal that the fade out in "Surf's Up" abruptly cuts off?  I mean, don't we have this song on at least 20 other CD's?  I didn't even bother ripping it; what's the point?  It's the same exact remaster from last year's Surf's Up re-release! 

Just trying to find a workable solution.  Beats complaining about it. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23:58 PM »

If "we're" too "snobby" to use iTunes. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »

If "we're" too "snobby" to use iTunes. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

The truth hurts, doesn't it?   Grin

(Yes, I'm just harassing you.)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

I openly admit to being a dick here.  Yes, the 2-second thing is an inconvenience.  However, it is a minor one.  And unless a replacement disc is forthcoming, there is an easy workaround here.  Using iTunes, I trimmed off the first two seconds of each track and went on with my day.  It is hardly a complicated procedure.  You just right-click on the track in question, select Get Info, select the Options tab and change that Start Time to 2 seconds.  But if we're too snobby for iTunes, there are plenty of other ways to pull this off.  Is it that big of a deal that the fade out in "Surf's Up" abruptly cuts off?  I mean, don't we have this song on at least 20 other CD's?  I didn't even bother ripping it; what's the point?  It's the same exact remaster from last year's Surf's Up re-release!  

Just trying to find a workable solution.  Beats complaining about it.  

What I'll probably do is re-rip the entire disc as one big image file, and then simply manually edit the cue sheet for new track points. I've done this many times on a lesser scale where discs were mis-indexed, lopping off stuff on individual track playback, etc. Obviously, the end of SU still can't be restored this way, but as noted,.....
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »

Exactly. It's not like there hasn't been things wrong with prior Beach Boys' releases. The wrong take of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was used on Made In The U.S.A.

To be fair, I think the "correct" WIBN master had momentarily gone missing, and they were forced to use this alternate version.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »

Same take was used on Still Cruisin', and it's what I heard on the radio quite frequently until recently (like, the last two or three years).

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

Smokin

I have a theory about "Disc 3s" or the Bermuda Triangle disc -- the cursed disc, in any boxset.  You see, whenever something out of the ordinary occurs in a boxset -- it happens to disc 3.

Two other boxsets I've purchased had strange "un-natural" things occur to their disc 3.  One was missing disc 3 and one came with two disc 3s.  So it's not all bad.

Not only that, but Disc 3 is often the most interesting disc in a boxset.  It usually covers the era of a band's most mature, prime prime-ness... and arcs into the realms of self-indulgence, and demise.

And now this, not surprisingly, with Made In California's disc 3.  What does it all mean?  It's hard to say.  If my assumptions are correct (and they rarely are) it has something to do with the Titanic.  Icarus flying too close to the sun and all the rest.  Either that or Quality Control fades in the middle after peaking in the beginning and reawakens by the time the last disc rolls down the assembly line.

Or maybe it's something else...

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »

Any word on replacements?
surferlicious
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »

I've been told that EMI has found it to be a manufacturing error by the pressing plant and will be offering replacement discs. No idea who you contact tho , or how soon corrected discs will be available.

I-tunes downloads don't have the problem , just the CD.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:41:47 PM by surferlicious » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

I recorded disc three onto a cassette to be able to listen to it in the kitchen while doing the dishes - and the mastering error is gone! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 12:40:25 AM »

Now I'm just the messenger, haven't got my copy of MIC yet, but have heard from a customer who's otherwise satisfied with the set that there's a mastering error on Disc 3 - apparently the disc finishes before Surf's Up does, and each track has around 2 seconds of silence before the actual song starts. Anyone else in the UK or elsewhere finding this problem with Disc 3 ?

Yes, indeed.  I have that exact issue with my copy of disc three. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »

Sent a message to UM and received this back:

Hi John,
Thank you for your email regarding 'Made In California'.
I am currently waiting on feedback from our eCommerce team with an update into this issue and the moment I have a response, I will be sure to contact you. I anticipate that this issue will be resolved within 2 working days. However, if you require an update in the meantime, please feel free to contact me and it will be my pleasure to assist you further.
John, thank you and apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,

Universal Music Direct Support Team

Will keep you posted…

Hi John,
Thank you for your email regarding your recent enquiry.
Unfortunately I have still not received an answer about this matter from our eCommerce team, as they had passed your email on to the label for further information. I have today asked my colleague to chase this up for me, and as soon as I have had an answer from him I will be sure to let you know.
Please allow me to apologise for the delay, and if you have any further questions in the meantime please let me know.
Kind regards,

Keeping you posted…!

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2013, 02:28:11 AM »

Sent a message to UM and received this back:

Hi John,
Thank you for your email regarding 'Made In California'.
I am currently waiting on feedback from our eCommerce team with an update into this issue and the moment I have a response, I will be sure to contact you. I anticipate that this issue will be resolved within 2 working days. However, if you require an update in the meantime, please feel free to contact me and it will be my pleasure to assist you further.
John, thank you and apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,

Will keep you posted…

Hi John,
Thank you for your email regarding your recent enquiry.
Unfortunately I have still not received an answer about this matter from our eCommerce team, as they had passed your email on to the label for further information. I have today asked my colleague to chase this up for me, and as soon as I have had an answer from him I will be sure to let you know.
Please allow me to apologise for the delay, and if you have any further questions in the meantime please let me know.
Kind regards,

Keeping you posted…!

Thanks, John - much appreciated.

EMI need a good reaming for this one ($150 AU worth).  Hoping Capital and BRI twig as well, might go and shake the tree over in those parts.

Their lack of quality would contribute to me holding off on purchasing a Mike Love boxed set.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:45:48 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »

How the hell do you let something like the marred disc 3 of MIC go out. 2 seconds of dead space before each track? Surf's Up cuts off before the end. Wasn't ANYONE doing any kind of quality control? Or was this simply slammed together and screw the consumer? Mark, Alan and Dennis put in alot of hard work on this, and their crappy mastering ruined it. Some may say oh its just a mistake, but you don't make those kind of mistakes on a high end retail item the you are asking people to pay out the wazoo for. We sure know where we as fans stand as far as the label is concerned.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:28:08 AM by petsite » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »

How the hell do you let something like the marred disc 3 of MIC go out. 2 seconds of dead space before each track? Surf's Up cuts off before the end. Wasn't ANYONE doing any kind of quality control? Or was this simply slammed together and screw the consumer? Mark, Alan and Dennis put in alot of hard work on this, and their crappy mastering ruined it. Some may say oh its just a mistake, but you don't make those kind of mistakes on a high end retail item the you are asking people to pay out the wazoo for. We sure know where we as fans stand as far as the label is concerned.

Bob
I checked 5 different versions of Surf's Up and on each the music fades by 4:09. So, I'm not convinced that it is cut-off on MIC.

2001 Surf's Up
2007 The Warmth Of The Sun
2012 Surf's Up
2012 50 Big Ones
2013 Made In California
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:49:35 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »

Bob
I checked 5 different versions of Surf's Up and on each the music fades by 4:09. So, I'm not convinced that it is cut-off on MIC.

2001 Surf's Up
2007 The Warmth Of The Sun
2012 Surf's Up
2012 50 Big Ones
2013 Made In California

With headphones you can hear it abruptly cut off Carl singing "that's why..." instead of fading out further to hear Carl sing "...the child."

I think it snipped off the last 2 seconds of silence and clipped a millisecond of song with it.
______

I'm going to contact Amazon later today - at least they may pass along my complaint to Capitol. Mistakes happen, I just hope they own up to it...especially after what price we paid for this set.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »

I'll bet that damn Capitol quality controller lied on his resume.

He ticked the box that said "Can you hear"
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »

It's an easy fix that takes only a few minutes  This is what I did per somebody on the Hoffman boards..
1. Rip to image + cue sheet
2. Manually add 2 seconds to the start time of each song on the cue sheet using a text editor
3. Burn to disc using new cue sheet

You can even replace "Surf's Up" if the last few seconds of fade bother you that much.

But that said, yeah I'd like my store-bought discs to be perfect and have been keeping an eye out for a replacement offer.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx