gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:54:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastering Error on MIC Disc 3 ?  (Read 71694 times)
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 20, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »

Disc #3 is so perfect now.  Much better for making comps.  Someone was saying that all their copies of Surf's Up end at 4:10 - This one now ends at 4:11 on my player.
Stated time is 4:12, but the sound ends at 4:10. The disc with the error had a stated time of 4:10 and sound ended at 4:10. There is no difference between the two discs as to where the music actually ends. Some tried to say here earlier that the 2 second error cut off the music, but it did not.

Yes, but you're forgetting that within that same timing for both versions (actually 4:11 on either the readout *or* both resulting ripped WAV files), the original, defective pressing had two seconds of silence at the beginning of the track that was also part of that time (actually the end of the previous track). And, most importantly, as a further result, two seconds that got lopped off the end of the final track (i.e. SU). 

Here, with everything indexed correctly on the "good" version, and the beginning starting as it should, that track does go on two seconds later at the end of the fixed version...fading into a more natural and complete silence. That is, the track doesn't quite end at the same place.

You can either look at the waveform, or sync the tracks up at any given point of the song. The "bad" version is always two seconds behind the "good" version in terms of their respective times at identical points. With the ultimate penalty at the end. Smiley

Understood, but my point is that the 2 seconds was silence and did not affect the music as some have stated previously.

Not true. A/B them. Listen loudly with headphones if you need to. The new disc has a very, very slight bit more to the fade. It's totally negligible, but i feel the need to point it out for the sake of accuracy.

Having listened to the replacement disc which arrived today I agree with Moniker - the fade is no longer cut short on the new pressing. Whether the difference is "totally negligible" is a matter of opinion  Smiley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »

Totally stupid question, perhaps. What should I, a Dutchman, do to achieve the same success as my fellow fans in the UK?   Embarrassed

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »

Emigrate!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I dunno. Assume Universal has a European office you could call or email, or even a Netherlands office? Does Google have the answer?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »

Emigrate!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I dunno. Assume Universal has a European office you could call or email, or even a Netherlands office? Does Google have the answer?

OK, cheers. So you addressed Universal's UK office then, I presume? I will go googling now. I'd lost the plot somewhere and it's a bit of a drowsy Saturday morning anyway, hence my initial question.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2013, 01:16:28 AM »

Ha, found Universalmusic's Dutch mail, phone, and snailmail addresses. Done!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »

Emigrate!!!!!!!!!!

OK, cheers. So you addressed Universal's UK office then, I presume? I will go googling now. I'd lost the plot somewhere and it's a bit of a drowsy Saturday morning anyway, hence my initial question.

Aye, they seem to have two UK offices… took one call and a few emails but a result eventually.

If you do decide to move here, I still have an unopened bottle of Ardbeg on the shelf   :D

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:46 AM »

Emigrate!!!!!!!!!!

Aye, they seem to have two UK offices… took one call and a few emails but a result eventually.

If you do decide to move here, I still have an unopened bottle of Ardbeg on the shelf   :D

Good! And burglary-wise: please fix some heavy-voltage barbed wire around it, will you?

Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 21, 2013, 03:58:16 AM »

Thanks very much to everyone who helped crack this one.  Greatly appreciated.

Those missing two seconds from "Surf's Up" in full:

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 23, 2013, 05:02:50 AM »

Sent an email on Thursday 19th (evening).  Received an email the next day (Friday 20th) saying a replacement would be sent.  They mailed the same day and I received it today (from the England to Scotland) the 23rd.  Now that's what I call great customer service. Well done Universal! Thank you to those who chased this up and put the contact details on this board! Cheesy
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »

Disc #3 is so perfect now.  Much better for making comps.  Someone was saying that all their copies of Surf's Up end at 4:10 - This one now ends at 4:11 on my player.
Stated time is 4:12, but the sound ends at 4:10. The disc with the error had a stated time of 4:10 and sound ended at 4:10. There is no difference between the two discs as to where the music actually ends. Some tried to say here earlier that the 2 second error cut off the music, but it did not.

Yes, but you're forgetting that within that same timing for both versions (actually 4:11 on either the readout *or* both resulting ripped WAV files), the original, defective pressing had two seconds of silence at the beginning of the track that was also part of that time (actually the end of the previous track). And, most importantly, as a further result, two seconds that got lopped off the end of the final track (i.e. SU). 

Here, with everything indexed correctly on the "good" version, and the beginning starting as it should, that track does go on two seconds later at the end of the fixed version...fading into a more natural and complete silence. That is, the track doesn't quite end at the same place.

You can either look at the waveform, or sync the tracks up at any given point of the song. The "bad" version is always two seconds behind the "good" version in terms of their respective times at identical points. With the ultimate penalty at the end. Smiley

Understood, but my point is that the 2 seconds was silence and did not affect the music as some have stated previously.

Not true. A/B them. Listen loudly with headphones if you need to. The new disc has a very, very slight bit more to the fade. It's totally negligible, but i feel the need to point it out for the sake of accuracy.

Having listened to the replacement disc which arrived today I agree with Moniker - the fade is no longer cut short on the new pressing. Whether the difference is "totally negligible" is a matter of opinion  Smiley

But it's not just about the shortened Surf's Up fade! I found it more irritating that Do It Again begins with the clipped echo of Murray The K from the previous track. It surprised me that those struggling to hear the problem dwelled so much on SU when all one has to do is play Do It Again with headphones on and listen to the start. Or was this just a problem with the spotify rip? Either way, great to hear that people are starting to receive fixed discs. I've asked for MIC for xmas on this basis. I have a feeling, given my girlfriend's antipathy towards the BBs, that Santa may not deliver though ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »

But it's not just about the shortened Surf's Up fade! I found it more irritating that Do It Again begins with the clipped echo of Murray The K from the previous track. It surprised me that those struggling to hear the problem dwelled so much on SU when all one has to do is play Do It Again with headphones on and listen to the start. Or was this just a problem with the spotify rip? Either way, great to hear that people are starting to receive fixed discs. I've asked for MIC for xmas on this basis. I have a feeling, given my girlfriend's antipathy towards the BBs, that Santa may not deliver though ...

And I suppose that having Santa throw in a corrected disc three with that set would be a 'Christmas miracle'!   Grin
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

Not just Santa, Every one on store shelves all over the world should have a corrected disc #3 attached to the box.  Easy way to continue selling the first pressing, without all the problems for the customer.
Is anybody else getting their "Joy" yet?  That second pressing should be done by now and on it's way.  And what of the folks who don't have a place like SmileySmile.net to advise them?                     Good luck buddhahat, hope it's under your tree tomorrow morning.  Shape/size will give it away quick !

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »

… and now the quest for Disc Six can begin…

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

Not just Santa, Every one on store shelves all over the world should have a corrected disc #3 attached to the box.  Easy way to continue selling the first pressing, without all the problems for the customer.

That's if anyone sees one on a shelf!  I still can't believe that here in Scotland I can't walk into a major record chain and buy this if I wanted to (still got it cheaper from Amazon!).
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 24, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »

That's if anyone sees one on a shelf!  I still can't believe that here in Scotland I can't walk into a major record chain and buy this if I wanted to (still got it cheaper from Amazon!).

It's the new world order

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 26, 2013, 09:44:12 PM »

I have a feeling, given my girlfriend's antipathy towards the BBs, that Santa may not deliver though ...

Might be time for a new girlfriend under the tree (or mistletoe) : )
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

I got the MIC set for Christmas this year. It was the original pressing. I wonder if those will be a collectible?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »

I got the MIC set for Christmas this year. It was the original pressing. I wonder if those will be a collectible?

Hope so. I'm keeping my original set as is, faulty disc 3 and all. Two second gap or no two second gap - not bothered. It's Mark and Alan's tinkering - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, Wild Honey (Live), etc - that has me tearing my hair out.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »

So, on the day after Christmas, I finally received my replacement disc 3 after 2 emails, one phone call and a final email over a one month period.  If you are having trouble getting it, be persistent.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »

.......I'm on the quest for disc #7...the Bonus disc Mark and Alan put together - ready to go.
Diaphanous Moiety, Good.  Buddhahat?  Everybody needs one.
Disney Boy (1985),  Still a collectable if you get the replacement.  You just have the new disc #3 as well. 
Michael Edwards Love, Must mean they have that second pressing done and heading out.
Making the Season brighter, and bringing smiles around Universal's Beach Boys World

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 27, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »

It's Mark and Alan's tinkering - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, Wild Honey (Live), etc - that has me tearing my hair out.

What's wrong with Wild Honey now
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #296 on: December 28, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »

It's Mark and Alan's tinkering - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, Wild Honey (Live), etc - that has me tearing my hair out.

The echo echo echo echo echo echo echo echo on Blondie's voice. Why the 'now'?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »

Everybody want a good laugh? I got my replacement CD in the mail from Universal. I ripped open the package and BAMM......the envelope was empty! That sucked!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »

Everybody want a good laugh? I got my replacement CD in the mail from Universal. I ripped open the package and BAMM......the envelope was empty! That sucked!

Nice!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

The echo echo echo echo echo echo echo echo on Blondie's voice. Why the 'now'?

+ The theremin track seemingly being muted completely. The theremin was like, half of what made these versions awesome, to me. wat's teh deal with that, man?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx