gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680999 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 11:33:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastering Error on MIC Disc 3 ?  (Read 72269 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »

Disc #3 is so perfect now.  Much better for making comps.  Someone was saying that all their copies of Surf's Up end at 4:10 - This one now ends at 4:11 on my player.
Stated time is 4:12, but the sound ends at 4:10. The disc with the error had a stated time of 4:10 and sound ended at 4:10. There is no difference between the two discs as to where the music actually ends. Some tried to say here earlier that the 2 second error cut off the music, but it did not.

Yes, but you're forgetting that within that same timing for both versions (actually 4:11 on either the readout *or* both resulting ripped WAV files), the original, defective pressing had two seconds of silence at the beginning of the track that was also part of that time (actually the end of the previous track). And, most importantly, as a further result, two seconds that got lopped off the end of the final track (i.e. SU). 

Here, with everything indexed correctly on the "good" version, and the beginning starting as it should, that track does go on two seconds later at the end of the fixed version...fading into a more natural and complete silence. That is, the track doesn't quite end at the same place.

You can either look at the waveform, or sync the tracks up at any given point of the song. The "bad" version is always two seconds behind the "good" version in terms of their respective times at identical points. With the ultimate penalty at the end. Smiley

Understood, but my point is that the 2 seconds was silence and did not affect the music as some have stated previously.

Not true. A/B them. Listen loudly with headphones if you need to. The new disc has a very, very slight bit more to the fade. It's totally negligible, but i feel the need to point it out for the sake of accuracy.

Here's a zoomed visual of the "good" waveform. That full two seconds at the end does seem to be bona-fide silence, but then again, I'm not sure if what is there musically might not just be so low in level that it doesn't really show up above the waveform's noise floor in a visual (i.e. the "fade"). Though, there might be more sophistcated ways to look at this for those who want to take the time to do it. It sure does just look like two seconds of silence though. (i.e. the length of the actual indexing error). This is zoomed in quite a bit.

http://www.lukpac.org/~dave/goodvisual.jpg

Unfortunately, using just listening, my nearly 50-year-old ears have sustained too much damage over the years to be able to hear much of anything in terms low-level stuff.....no matter how much I crank it up. Mostly just ringing and hissing from tinnitus. So, others will have to "duke" it out as to whether or not any actual music material was clipped off. Smiley
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »

Anyone from the UK had any joy yet? I've heard nothing since Universal said they'd "look into this" 5 days ago....
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2013, 05:35:23 AM »

Or did anybody find out what the non-US and non-UK residents should do? I mailed to FishersCustSvc@umusic.com a request what I should do, no replyeeayay.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2013, 07:19:34 AM »

Nothing here (UK) yet… unless Steph's hidden it as a Christmas pressie…

“We live in divisive times.”
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »

Here's my experience as a US customer:  I sent an email two weeks ago with no proof of purchase and received no reply.  I sent an email last week with proof of purchase and received no reply.  I just called and they asked me to send an email with proof of purchase.  I did so again.  So, now I'll wait and see.

Anyway, it seems like an unsolicited email may not produce results.  A call may be required.  That, or I'm just not having much luck.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2013, 03:32:06 AM »

I understand that there's a principle involved here in chasing the record company, and they are mierda-heads for not making more of an effort to resolve the issue to their customers' satisfaction. I know they're relying on the fact that most people who are going to buy this have bought it, and they've already got the money from them. And also on the fact that many of those people don't have time to chase them, trying to make them remaster and swap out the faulty disc. With a business to run and an inquisitive two-year-old to look after, I know I certainly don't.

Fortunately, the audio editing required to fix the problem is the work of a few late-night minutes once my son is asleep, so I've done that for the files my iTunes version of MiC, and given that when I play the disc in a CD player, I let the whole thing play though anyway, my use of that is effectively unaffected by the error. The only slightly hard problem to fix is the loss of two seconds on the extreme end of the fade out on Surf's Up. So I went with that problem, and crossfaded it into my boot version of the accapella mix of the fade, making a version a bit like the mix of Time To Get Alone or Sail On Sailor on Hawthorne, California, where the last few seconds feature just the Beach Boys voices. I find it a great way to end the side!

Problem solved, and in a way that I had time to do, as it only needed *me* to do some things I know how to do quickly and easily, instead of trying to spend time during the day that I don't have in the first place, trying to get someone to do something that they aren't interested in doing...!

But props to you guys for sticking with it. They SHOULD fix this problem, the gets.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »

I called last week, sent an email as requested, and the replacement disc showed up on Tuesday this week.  I didn't get any reply or acknowledgement after sending the email, but otherwise no fuss no muss.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »

Or did anybody find out what the non-US and non-UK residents should do? I mailed to FishersCustSvc@umusic.com a request what I should do, no replyeeayay.

Hey Micha - I sent an cheery "love your work can you help me out" email to "mk.customerservices@umusic.com" and the US email address. (Me in Australia).

Haven't heard jack from the gringo helpdesk.  BUT I got a lovely response from a lovely Linda on 9/12/2013 - She's looking into "it" for me.  Made me feel happy and loved.

Haven't heard a lot since then; I'll be following up in a day or so.  But give the British email a try in the meantime, you never know- A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »

Any Brits gained satisfaction yet?

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

In relation to the MIC CD, or since the establishment of the Empire?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »

The Empire was long since reigned back.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »

Okay I came on this morning to post here but got held up in the Survivor threads, took a peep at Mike Loves whackiest photos, and dropped a comment or two in BB Trading Cards.

So now that I am here, Just got my replacement for D3 - I just emailed them with a "paste" of the Amazon invoice email
and it was sent out in a nice Tyvek sleeve with only one oily fingerprint (I got it off)

Happy Camper!  Wink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:30:04 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2013, 07:34:40 AM »

Here's my experience as a US customer:  I sent an email two weeks ago with no proof of purchase and received no reply.  I sent an email last week with proof of purchase and received no reply.  I just called and they asked me to send an email with proof of purchase.  I did so again.  So, now I'll wait and see.

Anyway, it seems like an unsolicited email may not produce results.  A call may be required.  That, or I'm just not having much luck.

MEL, Youre unlucky - I sent an email / invoice out of the blue and have replacement in hand now.

I might add I also made the purchase from AMAZON UK and that didnt matter to them that I live in the States.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:36:25 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »

We just live on some small island that used to be important once - we can wait at the back of the queue  Undecided
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »

We just live on some small island that used to be important once - we can wait at the back of the queue  Undecided

As it should always be.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »

We just live on some small island that used to be important once - we can wait at the back of the queue  Undecided

Who speaks English, maybe they all speak English
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:46:13 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

I got told mine was going to be shipped out, but being that I'm not at home means I don't know if it's arrived yet

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »

It took 11 days, but it finally arrived today. So to those who called or emailed and got a positive response but are still waiting, be patient. USPS  is usually bogged down this time of year.
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2013, 03:26:14 AM »

just got this email from Universal "We will arrange for a replacement disc to be sent as requested"  Cool
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2013, 04:09:34 AM »

just got this email from Universal "We will arrange for a replacement disc to be sent as requested"  Cool

Thanks for this  - please keep us posted. I took the plunge and asked for MIC for crimbo so am hoping these UK relacemtn discs actually arrive without too much hassle.

Has anyone actually checked to hear if the replacement disc plays ok now i.e. no 2 second lead in on each track? Or no tail end of Murray the K at the start of Do It Again - probably the quickest way to check.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2013, 04:29:40 AM »

Yes, I've played mine (and ripped it to my Mac, put into iTunes, etc.) and the problem is indeed corrected.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 17, 2013, 04:58:45 AM »

Yes, I've played mine (and ripped it to my Mac, put into iTunes, etc.) and the problem is indeed corrected.

That's great to hear. Thanks, Vega-Table Man!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »

Same email to me too. Delighted that this seems to be nearing a resolution
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 18, 2013, 04:09:22 AM »

Same email to me too. Delighted that this seems to be nearing a resolution

I just got a "result" from the British Helpdesk - bless their wolly socks.

So O/S enquirers, I'd suggest that's yer best bet - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 18, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »

Result as in a disc? Or the promise of a disc?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx