gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:30:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastering Error on MIC Disc 3 ?  (Read 71867 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »

Yup, good stuff indeed. Resolution looks near!

“We live in divisive times.”
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2013, 10:52:16 PM »

Rip, edit cue sheet, replace Surf's Up (I used the one from the Brother Years), burn.  A five minute fix at most.  To not buy it over this is beyond silly. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:38 AM »

To all who provided info: many thanks!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »

Don, John and to those of us that do care,   I worked on it some this past week.  Amazon US came up with a new twist.  Then insisted to move through, I had to accept replacement.  So I did; got it Friday.  Had the bad disc - so Don, hold on a bit longer.  Amazon has offered to remove/freeze orders, once they hear back from me. -Seems extreme, but Capitol/EMI/Universal will jump quick if they do.

Not that extreme.  Something happened with the new Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. 1 set.  Amazon wasn't offering it for a week and now it's back with a Product Alert:  http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Album-Collection-V-1/dp/B00F6Y3FKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385522728&sr=1-1&keywords=bob+dylan+complete+albums
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2013, 03:40:44 AM »

Rip, edit cue sheet, replace Surf's Up (I used the one from the Brother Years), burn.  A five minute fix at most.  To not buy it over this is beyond silly. 

People not buying are aware of quick fix. People waiting would rather not have to fix problem themselves - expect expensive product to be mastered correctly in first place, however minimal problem is perceived to be by some. Please no more quick fix posts.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2013, 03:47:30 AM »

Hear, hear, well said Buddhahat. If bought a steak and kidney pie at the Supermarket, I wouldn't expect to open the packaging to find a side of beef, a bag of flour, some lamb's kidneys and a copy of Delia. No-one bought a DIY project, they bought a superior packaged Beach Boys box set.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:32 AM »

So HOW will restitution be made?

If they are shipping a replacement disk #3 to everyone that complains, I'm in.
but not RETURNING anything. Period.

If you like your MIC. You can keep your MIC.  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »

Hey Everybody,  I have got through to Universal.  And now have a free number:  1-800-288-5942     This takes you right to customer service in Indiana.  They have the disc # 3 replacement.  John, this is the USA #, but if you key in their service:  FisherCustSvc@umusic.com I saw a UK #, but they could not verify it was right, great 'eh?  Anyway, because of the Thanksgiving holiday, they will be closed Thursday and Friday.  They said I should have mine "in hand" by the end of next week.
Don,  They told me that they had pulled all the boxes at Universal's warehouses off the market to fix the problem.  But, Amazon USA is still selling the stock they have, great 'eh, again!?!  So guess you could call the 800 number to find more info.  I'd be careful, as they have made a right mess of this.  And I mean Universal.  Three months, and leaving it up to the consumer to work-out sucks.  They even told me that "usually" they leave it to the dealer to handle, but are making a "special" except in this case!  Well, if they are waiting for Amazon to help, they are still waiting.  I will say, this is the first time I've ever had a problem that Amazon couldn't fix.  And, they did toss me a twenty for all the trouble.  The box is currently selling for $108, about twenty less than I paid.
This problem is about to be done, but I am soon going to order the John Martyn box, also made by Universal.  This is where monopolies, and not being able to deal with B&M stores directly gets us.  John, any problems with it you've found?  Just getting through the 18 CDs and the DVD will take me awhile.  
Guess tomorrow I'll add an extra "to be grateful for" at the dinner table.    
Roll Eyes Look UP,  Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:04 AM »

So HOW will restitution be made?

If they are shipping a replacement disk #3 to everyone that complains, I'm in.
but not RETURNING anything. Period.

If you like your MIC. You can keep your MIC.  Razz
leggo,  They are not asking us to send back the "bad" disc.  They even waved me sending them a proof of purchase e-mail.  Now, don't get any ideas folks... ah, a way to get one of the discs... Grin
Just got e-mail confirmation from @umusic.com that my replacement will ship out today.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:41:00 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »

… but I am soon going to order the John Martyn box, also made by Universal.  This is where monopolies, and not being able to deal with B&M stores directly gets us.  John, any problems with it you've found?  Just getting through the 18 CDs and the DVD will take me awhile.…

I not even through all 18 discs yet – to be honest I've had them on in the background as I've been working quite intensively for the last few weeks so haven't had the aural magnifying glass on them (so to speak). I might have to wait for the kids to leave university to have any proper listening time these days (and Sierra, the eldest, is only 4…).

That said, the music is transporting…

The set came very high in Uncut Magazine's Archive Releases of the Year booklet which arrived today – number 2 or 3 from memory - tho' MIC wasn't placed.

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »

Hey Buddahat, why are you screaming?  It's a simple cue error not a mastering error.  I keep re-posting because people like you don't seem to "get it"
Because not everybody shares your opinion.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:18:26 PM by jeffcdo » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »

Hey Buddahat, why are you screaming.  It's a simple cue error not a mastering error.  I keep re-posting because people like you don't seem to "get it"

To paraphrase Mick and Keith: They just post because there's nothing else to do

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »

Buddhahate must be in another bad mood. Did everybody hear him OK?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

For what it's worth, I agree with buddhahat. I know, it's a quick and simple fix. That's not the point. When I go to a store and buy something, I expect to not have to "fix" anything. *ducking from the flying stones*

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »

For what it's worth, I agree with buddhahat. I know, it's a quick and simple fix. That's not the point. When I go to a store and buy something, I expect to not have to "fix" anything. *ducking from the flying stones*

Exactly.

We understand we can fix this problem - that's not the point.

The point is that we spent a good deal of money of on this and we should expect that amount of money to count for something, like quality. The customer shouldn't be expected to fix a problem that the manufacturer made. That makes no sense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »

I agree. For the most part the music on the set is wonderful. However, the lack of quality control ( the aforementioned issue along with some questionable sonics) is highly disappointing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »

Good thing you guys weren't around when the wrong mixes were used on a couple of the original CBS/Sony/Caribou CD's. Or the Endless Harmony comp, where they had to retract it. Or the Brian Wilson '88 solo CD on Rhino, when the wrong mix(s) were used. You guys would be crying in your beer over it.

And I know I'm miss-remembering another one with a defect - somebody please fill in the blank. Wasn't it in the Pet Sounds or Good Vibrations box? This MIC error is nothing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:54:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:16 PM »

To be honest I'm more irritated with the piss poor mastering and remixing. I can (and have done...) a better job myself

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

Well, if we're being honest here, I'm more irritated with the excessive use of reverb!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »

Yeah, big time. Especially on the live wild honey, which to me sounded VERY amateurish.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »

Good thing you guys weren't around when the wrong mixes were used on a couple of the original CBS/Sony/Caribou CD's. Or the Endless Harmony comp, where they had to retract it. Or the Brian Wilson '88 solo CD on Rhino, when the wrong mix(s) were used. You guys would be crying in your beer over it.

And I know I'm miss-remembering another one with a defect - somebody please fill in the blank. Wasn't it in the Pet Sounds or Good Vibrations box? This MIC error is nothing.

Yeah, but those c*ck-ups were during the preparation stage and ironically now have some collectible value - rare versions, what!

This MIC error is a tech glitch at the manufacturing end, like buying a pre-scratched record - big or small, a bit annoying.

Re Brian Wilson '88, I recall the Legendary AGD posting that no real or definitive master was ever submitted, just a tape reel/s or something - hence some differences in the orig versus the reissue (I could be wrong)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:59:20 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »

Speaking of glitches and mistakes, was there ever a reissued version of the 1993 box set with a speed corrected version of Do you Like Worms?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2013, 05:15:39 AM »

Nope.

Next question.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2013, 05:19:44 AM »

Re Brian Wilson '88, I recall the Legendary AGD posting that no real or definitive master was ever submitted, just a tape reel/s or something - hence some differences in the orig versus the reissue (I could be wrong)

No, entirely correct - the original 1988 release was never assembled into an album master (why not ? No idea) so when the 2000 reissue came round, the compilers had to sift through a pile of individual song masters. Still don't understand why someone didn't take an hour  or so out to A/B those tapes with an original CD.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2013, 06:55:32 AM »

Hey Buddahat, why are you screaming?  It's a simple cue error not a mastering error.  I keep re-posting because people like you don't seem to "get it"

Several months in it should be clear by now that people aren't buying the set not because they think it's unfixable (and your solution doesn't actually fix anything, btw) - they're waiting because they expect better quality control on expensive boxed sets. Do you really think we don't get it?

not everybody shares your opinion.

... or yours:

To not buy it over this is beyond silly. 

Buddhahate

on form Mikie

[To paraphrase Mick and Keith: They just post because there's nothing else to do

?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx