gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:49:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Your Opinion the most Overrated and most Underrated Rolling Stones album  (Read 13221 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:01:24 AM »

In my opinion:

Most overrated: "Exile on Main Street"
Most underrated: "The Rolling Stones (1964 debut)"
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »

Most overrated: Between the Buttons
Most underrated: The Rolling Stones, Now!
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

Most overrated: Aftermath/Between The Buttons
Most underrated: Goats Head Soup/December's Children (And Everybody's)

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:11:45 PM »

Surprised at the lack of interest in this post  Shocked
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »

Most Over: Some Girls
 Must Under: Goat's Head Soup
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »

I don't think there's much crossover between the two fan bases.  I'm not saying there isn't any at all---obviously there is some since you and a few others have posted---but there's more a cross pollination between Beach Boys and Beatles groups. 

The Beach Boys and the Stones are two my favorite bands ever and what I see most of the time is that most Stones fans just don't get The Beach Boys and conversely, many Beach Boys fans simply don't get the Stones.  Cool Guy
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »

I don't think there's much crossover between the two fan bases.  I'm not saying there isn't any at all---obviously there is some since you and a few others have posted---but there's more a cross pollination between Beach Boys and Beatles groups. 

The Beach Boys and the Stones are two my favorite bands ever and what I see most of the time is that most Stones fans just don't get The Beach Boys and conversely, many Beach Boys fans simply don't get the Stones.  Cool Guy

Good Point. Yeah, the BB's and the Stones are my two favourite bands!
What about Pink Floyd? If I did one on that, you think that would be more successful?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »

I'm honestly apathetic about The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and bastions and bastions of other "dad-rock" bands. Not because it's not "cool" to like that music, but because I prefer 2-3 minute blasts of pop perfection to the heavier, more meandering style of the late 60s. Of course, The Rolling Stones, like the Beatles, were focused much more on the 3 minute single than Pink Floyd, for example, but I can't stand their loose playing and slapdash arrangements. Give me The Beatles or The Beach Boys. Tighter arrangements, better melodies, etc.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »

yeah i hate the stones.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »

I'm honestly apathetic about The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and bastions and bastions of other "dad-rock" bands. Not because it's not "cool" to like that music, but because I prefer 2-3 minute blasts of pop perfection to the heavier, more meandering style of the late 60s. Of course, The Rolling Stones, like the Beatles, were focused much more on the 3 minute single than Pink Floyd, for example, but I can't stand their loose playing and slapdash arrangements. Give me The Beatles or The Beach Boys. Tighter arrangements, better melodies, etc.
True, but i'd take all these over today's music anyday, as well as anything post 80's  Smiley
BTW, i'm going to have to respectfully 100% disagree with Pink Floyd. Especially their earlier Syd Barrett era work.
Yeah, I would have replaced Pink Floyd with the King of Dad-Rock bands: Led Zeppelin.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:29:10 AM by bluesno1fann » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »

If you haven't already, you should check out Pink Floyd's first album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Syd Barrett was a maniacal (and soon kicked out) genius  and the whole album is basically full of concise, Psych-pop songs.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »

If you haven't already, you should check out Pink Floyd's first album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Syd Barrett was a maniacal (and soon kicked out) genius  and the whole album is basically full of concise, Psych-pop songs.

One could also say that Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is kind of/sort of Beatle-esque, I suppose.  I always felt that Syd's quirky genius paralleled Brian's.  These two are the two wholly original, crazy geniuses of rock/pop music, in my mind anyway.  I think Syd's solo work is very Wild Honey-esque -- and utterly brilliant.  As are the few singles he did with Floyd (Scream Thy Last Scream, Candy On A Currant Bun, et al).  Just brilliant sh-t.

Stones -- I just recently started to get the Stones, so I can't address the topic of under/over-rated.   Razz  But I do like the Stones a lot now, after finding them much like how Gabo described them (i.e.; too loosey goosey).  Now I love their greasy, f-ck off attitude!!!

Rock!

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »

Good Point. Yeah, the BB's and the Stones are my two favourite bands!
What about Pink Floyd? If I did one on that, you think that would be more successful?

Hard to say.  I'd wager that many Beach Boys fans aren't really fans of most blues-based music..like The Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix etc.  Besides the early surf and car songs which were very basic and mainly followed the blues I IV V structure---Brian's later compositions were very complicated compared to the Stones and etc.  For some, the basic rock song doesn't do anything for them after listening to Pet Sounds or Smile.  Nothing wrong with that but I don't like it when people put down other bands because something is complicated.  For what it's worth, the Stones could never write a song like "Heroes and Villians" but the Beach Boys could never pull off "Midnight Rambler."  That's just the way it is.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Stones -- I just recently started to get the Stones, so I can't address the topic of under/over-rated.   Razz  But I do like the Stones a lot now, after finding them much like how Gabo described them (i.e.; too loosey goosey).  Now I love their greasy, f-ck off attitude!!!

Rock!

If you want to clinch your love for the Stones...explore their live material.  That's where the Stones shine...on stage.  The band recently released a batch of official bootlegs on their website and these are the best of the best in terms of live material.  The 1973 Brussels recording, to me, eclipses "Get Yer Ya Ya's out."  The 1975 and 1981 shows are also gems.  You want  the loose, unpredictable yet focused Stones...check those out--you won't be disssapointed!

http://www.stonesarchive.com/bootlegs/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »

The Rolling Stones are my 2nd favorite band & more or less I like every album by them. But frankly, I think Aftermath got a bit too much hype than it warranted. There is a handful of impressive songs & the rest is unnecessary mishmash (e.g. Flight 505, Dontcha Bother Me, It's Not Easy, Under My Thumb, I'm Waiting, Stupid Girl). Goin' Home is good but it goes a tad too long. Sing This All Together (See What Happens), on the other hand, is great! From start to finish.

"December's Children..." is highly underrated, I can't see why. It is so good & so original, in some of the songs the band doesn't even sound like themselves. The Singer Not The Song is officially my most favorite song by The Rolling Stones, it's incredibly beautiful. Blue Turns to Grey, I accept only the version sung by Mick. No covers, including that horrific "hit" by Cliff Richard or a heavily reverbed Don & The Goodtimes' one. Get off of My Cloud is rollicking! So are She Said Yeah, Gotta Get Away & I'm Moving On (live number with cool slide guitar). To sum it up, the quality of songs is very solid, no weak track. There's a good balance between the fast & slow songs, yet the sequencing isn't seamless. But with nowadays' technologies it's not an issue; you can quickly change the order to your liking. So yes, this is a perfect record.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

Overrated: Exile On Main St (It's still a great album, but Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers are better)

Underrated:Their Satanic Majesties Request (So underrated that even the band themselves don't like it)
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

Overrated: Black and Blue - Not that it's well-loved by any means, but I see the reputation as largely a mediocre mid-70's album.  I'd say it's downright poor with only 3 songs worth keeping around.

Underrated: Any of the albums pre-Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones' mid-60's work may very well be my favourite period for the band, with a prolific body of singles and albums that are often overshadowed by the run from Beggars to Exile.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:44:38 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:19 AM »

Overrated: Black and Blue - Not that it's well-loved by any means, but I see the reputation as largely a mediocre mid-70's album.  I'd say it's downright poor with only 3 songs worth keeping around.

Underrated: Any of the albums pre-Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones' mid-60's work may very well be my favourite period for the band, with a prolific body of singles and albums that are often overshadowed by the run from Beggars to Exile.
Black and Blue isn't really considered as a great Stones album. In fact it's one of their much-less loved albums. I can see how it's one of their worst albums, but it's by no means overrated.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

Black and Blue isn't really considered as a great Stones album. In fact it's one of their much-less loved albums. I can see how it's one of their worst albums, but it's by no means overrated.

Sad       http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rolling-stone-hall-of-fame-the-rolling-stones-black-and-blue-20040624
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

That's a kind review from RS magazine in 2004 but "Black and Blue" isn't even the first five albums people mention.  It may be a cult favorite among music (and Stones) fans but to say that it is overrated...in the truest sense of the word--would be inaccurate.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

That's a kind review from RS magazine in 2004 but "Black and Blue" isn't even the first five albums people mention.  It may be a cult favorite among music (and Stones) fans but to say that it is overrated...in the truest sense of the word--would be inaccurate.

Well, I LOVE Black N Blue, but it really kind of is a terrible album when taken as an album of songs n such, so I can fully understand the dislike.... However, if you're in the right mood and wanna just hear those guys play, hear a great rhythm crackin', then it's a stone cold classic.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »

"Exile on Main Street" is so great it will always be underrated, and you can say that for any of the Stones albums that preceded it, and a few after as well.

The only thing "overrated" to me about the Stones, and it's a big one actually, is them as live performers.  I'm guessing that seeing them in '69 or '72 - '73 really was something, but even on some of that, Mick Jagger to me is insufferable.  Particularly as they get into stadium mode, watching him jump around and point means zero to me.  His vocals were absolutely god-awful for a long time -- they've gotten better but unfortunately they've also become thinner. When I watch videos of them I beg for "more Charlie"!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »

"Exile on Main Street" is so great it will always be underrated, and you can say that for any of the Stones albums that preceded it, and a few after as well.

The only thing "overrated" to me about the Stones, and it's a big one actually, is them as live performers.  I'm guessing that seeing them in '69 or '72 - '73 really was something, but even on some of that, Mick Jagger to me is insufferable.  Particularly as they get into stadium mode, watching him jump around and point means zero to me.  His vocals were absolutely god-awful for a long time -- they've gotten better but unfortunately they've also become thinner. When I watch videos of them I beg for "more Charlie"!

I would have to agree. Especially as Jagger most always had an annoying habit of tunelessly barking his vocals live.... There was always a very interesting onstage chemistry with the rest of the band, with Charlie and Keith almost eye to eye the whole time and with Bill like 50 feet away, checking out the chicks, yet locked in like a motherfucker..... Too bad the cameras could hardly care to notice.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »

In my post I mentioned I usually see it considered a mediocre album, which in my books would still make it overrated.  Now maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you divide every song in half, because part of what makes it such a taxing listen to me is just how unnecessarily long the tracks are.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »

I would have to agree. Especially as Jagger most always had an annoying habit of tunelessly barking his vocals live.... There was always a very interesting onstage chemistry with the rest of the band, with Charlie and Keith almost eye to eye the whole time and with Bill like 50 feet away, checking out the chicks, yet locked in like a motherfucker..... Too bad the cameras could hardly care to notice.

Amen.  I love Mick Jagger as a musician, songwriter, and his studio vocals in their hey day.  But not only is his stage act lame and lousy (to me) -- like you stated it detracts from the real cool stuff going on!  And any Stones film/video is 95% Jagger.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx