gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:15:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated BB's Albums  (Read 28633 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2015, 01:47:25 AM »

When calling any 60s BBs album overrated keep in mind no one else was making better albums, there were groups that were good but the BBs were the cream of the crop for a solid decade thru 72.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »

When calling any 60s BBs album overrated keep in mind no one else was making better albums, there were groups that were good but the BBs were the cream of the crop for a solid decade thru 72.

That could possibly be true for the early 60s, Im not too familiar with that time period. But when it comes to '65 through the rest of the decade, that's just simply untrue. After Pet Sounds the Boys didnt make another "masterpiece" album again in that decade. I know a lot of people love Wild Honey and Friends but compared to the amazing work other artists were doing at the time, Im sorry to say but the Boys came up short. Im NOT just talking about the output of the Beatles either. I've listed some of my favorite albums from the late 60s before, so let's just limit it to '68 then. In a year that brought us The United States of America, We're Only In It For the Money, Odyssey and Oracle, Saucerful of Secrets, Anthem of the Sun, Cheap Thrills, Crown of Creation, Electric Ladyland etc...you're telling me nobody made a better album than Friends or Wild Honey? That THOSE were the gold standard? I could do the same thing for '67, '69 all through '72 if you really wanted but I hope you get the idea. Fact is, once '65~'66 changed the rules and albums were thought of as works of art in their own right, plenty of bands were making amazing albums every year. The Beach Boys, much as I love them, were not album artists. Their albums tend to be really short, uneven and not particularly daring or experimental post Smiley and up until Holland (which I consider their return to form). Aside from Pet Sounds to 1966 and maybe Today to 1965, I really dont think you could claim the Boys made the best album of that respective year.

Not to say the Boys didnt make some great albums. I think Today! could be considered the first album that's a complete work of art, even beating out the Beatles' Rubber Soul. Yes, there's still filler, but it's at the end as a sort of epilogue to the album. It's unintrusive and not long. I call Summer Days overrated because its a huge step down from that accomplishment. The filler is back, it's annoying and it wastes space. The cohesiveness of Today is gone, they recycled a song off that album, and overall the themes therein arent as deep or emotional. Despite all this going against it and how it can only be described as a major step down from its predecessor, it's still hailed as a classic and one of their best. I just can't agree with that. As I said, I think you can call Wild Honey or Surf's Up overrated too, but at least I can understand why they might be so liked. WH is them doing a style they never had before or again, so it could resonate with listeners in a way their other albums wouldnt. SU was supposedly "cool" when it was released, even if it's far from it now, so I respect the fact that you probably had to be there to appreciate it. It's not overrated so much as it hasnt aged well at all. But for Summer Days there's no excuse, really. It's just a mediocre album sandwiched between two classics.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »

I dont see how or why anyone would think theres anything good about the light album or ktsa...think about it : the beach boys were a rockin band , the light album other than shortenin bread is essentially muzak

Aside from the worst track on the record (Shortenin' Bread), LA fit perfectly with the "yacht rock" of the time...right at home along side Ambrosia, Chris Cross, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Michael McDonald-era Doobies.  All immensely popular at the time.  It's a VERY good and VERY underrated album.
KDS
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this statement.  Although I love The Beach Boys 1960s output, there were definitely bands making better albums. 

The four lads from Liverpool for one. 

Led Zeppelin put out their debut in 1969

Pink Floyd's first two albums Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets

The Who released Tommy in 1969.  My Generation and Sell Out are very good albums too. 

Not to mention Hendrix, The Yardbirds, Cream, Vanilla Fudge.  Like I said, I love the Beach Boys, but if you think there aren't better albums from the 1960s, you're either an extremely rabid fan, or you need to expand your horizons when it comes to 1960s music. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »

Yeah, the post above me lists some other talented bands from the 60s; I'll throw in a word for the Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, and The Doors, too. That's really why i love the 60s so much—the Beach Boys were in their prime, and so many other great artists were on the making music, too Smiley.

Also, I think 20/20 is an underrated album.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
KDS
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »

Yeah, the post above me lists some other talented bands from the 60s; I'll throw in a word for the Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, and The Doors, too. That's really why i love the 60s so much—the Beach Boys were in their prime, and so many other great artists were on the making music, too Smiley.

Total mind fart on my part.  I really don't know how I forgot The Doors.  Their self titled debut and Strange Days are up there with the best albums recorded in ANY decade.   

There's also CCR, who put out a ton of great material. 

If you only count quality (you can't really say quantity because The Doors and CCR both had short shelf lives), both The Doors and CCR can each legitimately challenge The Beach Boys as the greatest band ever to come out of the USA. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »

Total mind fart on my part.  I really don't know how I forgot The Doors.  Their self titled debut and Strange Days are up there with the best albums recorded in ANY decade.   

There's also CCR, who put out a ton of great material. 

If you only count quality (you can't really say quantity because The Doors and CCR both had short shelf lives), both The Doors and CCR can each legitimately challenge The Beach Boys as the greatest band ever to come out of the USA. 

If you count quality, then the USA is the greatest band of all time. They came, made what is quite possibly the best album ever released by any band, gave a single tour where they performed said album in its entirety and then disbanded. A perfect run...even if it only lasted one year.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »

Overrated: Holland (Sorry about this one, but I feel like too many of the songs on this album are kinda boring and dragged out. I LOVE Steamboat though.)

Underrated: Surfin' USA (Seriously? An album with Lana, Lonely Sea, Farmer's Daughter, and Finder's Keepers only has 3 stars on the albums rating page? Heresy, I say!)

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this statement.  Although I love The Beach Boys 1960s output, there were definitely bands making better albums. 

Pink Floyd's first two albums Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets

The Who released Tommy in 1969.  My Generation and Sell Out are very good albums too. 

Not to mention Hendrix, The Yardbirds, Cream, Vanilla Fudge.  Like I said, I love the Beach Boys, but if you think there aren't better albums from the 1960s, you're either an extremely rabid fan, or you need to expand your horizons when it comes to 1960s music. 
I would take the Beach Boys album over any named above, other than the Beatles. Now if you had said Bob Dylan or the Kinks.....
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »

I would take the Beach Boys album over any named above, other than the Beatles. Now if you had said Bob Dylan or the Kinks.....

Thats your opinion. But to claim that the Boys made the objectively best albums of every year from 62 to 72 is just fanboyism no matter how much we all love the band. Almost as bad as the nonsense some people were saying about the Beatles in another thread. Claiming that they're more important to our cultural heritage than Shakespeare, their discography is better than every other band's combined (!) and so on. There's preferences and then there's hyperbole.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
bluesno1fann
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »

Just my humble opinion.  No need for disagreeing with this post with all caps. 

In the eyes of the general public

Overrated - Pet Sounds - Generally regarded by many as the greatest album of all-time.  I don't even think its the BB greatest album.

Underrated - Every album from Wild Honey - Holland - In the US, many people outside the Bri-universe don't seem to know these albums exist

In the Bri-universe

Overrated - Smile / Love You - The released version of Smile has a lot of great moments, but not enough great material throughout the album.  The best songs of Love You are equal to the album cuts on most of the BB material from 62-73. 

Underrated - Surfin USA / That's Why God Made the Radio - Surfin USA is a fun record that isn't always taken seriously.  A lot of positivity toward the closing suite on TWGMTR, but to me, the whole album is a journey.  I hear it almost as a concept album about The Beach Boys' final summer together.  Especially when Brian says "I'm better on my own" in PCH at the end. 

I get what you mean. I love Pet Sounds, but there are other albums by The Beach Boys that I prefer.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2015, 11:26:02 PM »

Thats your opinion. But to claim that the Boys made the objectively best albums of every year from 62 to 72 is just fanboyism no matter how much we all love the band. Almost as bad as the nonsense some people were saying about the Beatles in another thread. Claiming that they're more important to our cultural heritage than Shakespeare, their discography is better than every other band's combined (!) and so on. There's preferences and then there's hyperbole.
Sorry, just not a major fan of the bands you mentioned.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »

Sorry, just not a major fan of the bands you mentioned.

Right, again its your opinion. I have no problem with anyone saying for example "I prefer Beach Boy albums to their contemporaries." Thats an opinion. What I must protest is statements like "The Beach Boys made the best albums of every year from 1962 to 1972" thats a statement, and a very narrow-minded one that ignores all the other great bands and their output at the time. Y'know what Im saying?

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »

In terms of filler, Beach Boys had a higher ratio than most of the big groups. But they also were making up to three albums a year (for 3 years straight!) at one point. In terms of sheer number of good-excellent songs I don't think many groups can compete with the catalog they released. You could make at least a dozen completely solid albums between 1962-1971. The problem is in that time the boys released over twenty!

Having said that I wouldn't change any of those songs for anything! I can get just as much enjoyment out of the likes of Pom Pom Playgirl, Chug-a-lug, Ding Dang, In The Parkin' Lot, Drive-In etc.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »

In terms of filler, Beach Boys had a higher ratio than most of the big groups. But they also were making up to three albums a year (for 3 years straight!) at one point. In terms of sheer number of good-excellent songs I don't think many groups can compete with the catalog they released. You could make at least a dozen completely solid albums between 1962-1971. The problem is in that time the boys released over twenty!

Having said that I wouldn't change any of those songs for anything! I can get just as much enjoyment out of the likes of Pom Pom Playgirl, Chug-a-lug, Ding Dang, In The Parkin' Lot, Drive-In etc.

I totally get what you're saying. And I give them leeway up through 1965 or 66. By that point, albums were starting to be considered works of art in their own right, and cohesive statements from the band rather than the latest single and a ton of filler/studio outtakes. So the filler on Surfin USA or something is understandable, but for me the filler on Summer Days, or Mama Says on Wild Honey is not. By that point, it wasnt "just the way things were done" anymore, it was laziness. Or maybe not laziness per se, but a lack of strong material then. If their contemporaries could relase 45 minute albums with nothing but great songs that could knock your socks off and the Beach Boys had to scrape the bottom of the SMiLE barrel to fill out a 24 minute album...to me, that really doesnt reflect well on them at all. Not a huge deal, but to suggest then that they released the best album of that year while they were pulling desperate stunts like that is laughable.

I wouldnt go THIS far, but someone who really didnt like the band could accuse them of release more albums that were watered down instead of fewer better albums as a way of milking the fans. Im not accusing them of that, but it could be a valid counterargument to what you're saying.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »

I am right with you. All this woulda, coulda, shoulda 50 years down the line does nothing for me. These albums are what they are and cannot be changed. Take what has been given and enjoy. Growing up when these albums were released, I was always amazed at how much of the filler was enjoyable to listen to. I couldn't say that about very many other groups during that time frame.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2015, 06:26:25 PM »

I love that we have so many albums to choose from! Corny as some of the material is there's nothing for me that beats an original Beach Boys record on Vinyl!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »

I love that we have so many albums to choose from! Corny as some of the material is there's nothing for me that beats an original Beach Boys record on Vinyl!

Especially when a side is finished, having to get out of your easy chair or barkolounger, walk over to the turntable, flip the record and put it back on the TT to play the other side. All that considerably helps to keep the "flow" of the album going Roll Eyes. Thanks, but I'll stick with the CD and you can keep your vinyl. Don't need the rice krispy effect either.  Azn

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »

Especially when a side is finished, having to get out of your easy chair or barkolounger, walk over to the turntable, flip the record and put it back on the TT to play the other side. All that considerably helps to keep the "flow" of the album going Roll Eyes. Thanks, but I'll stick with the CD and you can keep your vinyl. Don't need the rice krispy effect either.  Azn

Vinyl is much higher quality. Plus it's just cool to have the music as it was originally released, in analog format, with the full size coverart. At least I think so. It's annoying to handle and have to flip the side, so thats why I record them as lossless FLAC files. Best of both worlds.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »

That is where the new AP SACD releases or the Japanese Pastmasters CDs give you the best of both worlds.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »

That is where the new AP SACD releases or the Japanese Pastmasters CDs give you the best of both worlds.

Perhaps. I still love collecting vinyl though. And it's not nostalgia or anything since I grew up in the 90s. Vinyl just has a warm analog sound and a certain indescribably elegance to it.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »

I don't mind getting up to turn the record over. I need at least that much exercise.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2015, 11:44:58 PM »

Yes!!! I thought I was the only person who felt that way!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »

It's weird that in the eighties everyone kept talking about the incredible, miraculous high-res clarity of CD sound, how CDs made vinyl sound like crap. I read one of Paul Williams's old books on Dylan recently and he mentioned how he hadn't lived till he'd heard whatever Dylan song on CD, and now he could die happy.

You never hear people talk that way anymore. When people are defending CDs, they just talk about convenience, and its assumed that mint-condition vinyl is of the same if not higher quality fidelity.

Me, I wouldn't know, everything sounds fine to me. I'm glad I don't have to count to twenty while fast-forwarding through a song on cassette anymore.

Please delete my account
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2015, 12:20:24 AM »

I'm glad I don't have to count to twenty while fast-forwarding through a song on cassette anymore.

Hell yeah.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx