gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:48:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated BB's Albums  (Read 28804 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »

I dont see how or why anyone would think theres anything good about the light album or ktsa...think about it : the beach boys were a rockin band , the light album other than shortenin bread is essentially muzak, brian was hardly involved and it was a collection of outtakes...ktsa just awful...I love the beach boys, ive been a zealot/pundit my whole life but their post.holland output minus love you is grim and soulless.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »

Plenty of good stuff on each album, there's just a couple of clunkers to skip over.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2015, 12:52:56 AM »

I dont see how or why anyone would think theres anything good about the light album or ktsa...think about it : the beach boys were a rockin band , the light album other than shortenin bread is essentially muzak, brian was hardly involved and it was a collection of outtakes...ktsa just awful...I love the beach boys, ive been a zealot/pundit my whole life but their post.holland output minus love you is grim and soulless.

Do you know what the word 'pundit' means?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2015, 01:13:41 AM »

Overrated: Holland (and MIU after reading this thread)
Underrated: Light Album
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:23 AM »

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Interesting opinions so here's mine

Underrated: Love You: this is more a public perception thing as I know a lot on here share my absolute passion for it.

Overrated: Holland and Sunflower: try as I might I just can't get into these albums. Holland is soooo boring and Sunflower just feels so dated.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »

Sunflower just feels so dated.

In what ways do you mean?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2015, 03:57:35 AM »

If you remove Sumahama, replace the album version of HCTN with the single version and add It's A Beautiful Day and another track by either Dennis, Carl or Brian, then you'll have the best BB's album post-Holland IMO. Agreed with KTSA though.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2015, 10:38:31 PM »

If you remove Sumahama, replace the album version of HCTN with the single version and add It's A Beautiful Day and another track by either Dennis, Carl or Brian, then you'll have the best BB's album post-Holland IMO. Agreed with KTSA though.
I don't mind Sumahama.  KTSA is much weaker than LA, though. They should have been great covering Chuck Berry, but School Days fails to ring the bell; and why on earth did they resurrect When Girls Get Together? Embarrassing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2015, 01:30:52 AM »

A collection of outtakes? Huh
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2015, 05:40:26 AM »

Around here? 

I personally feel that both 'Love You' and 'Smiley Smile' get overrated by a wide margin.  Someone earlier used the word "hideous".  Perfect for too much of what is contained on both albums.  Also way BENEATH the levels of capability as demonstrated beforehand by both Brian and Group.

Underrated?  Little Deuce Coupe and Carl and the Passions.  2 really well done efforts which have withstood the test of time with ease.

Depending on the time-frame/era that fans entered into this specific musical 'journey' I DO understand that the 'view' of the proceedings changes.  Mine is from spring 1963.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »

I can only speak for myself but I love the fact that the BB as a major pop/rock group had the guts to release albums as downright experimental as Smiley Smile and Love You.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »

Overrated: Friends
Underrated: Love You

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »

Overrated:  Sunflower

Underrated:  Summer In Paradise
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!    Wall
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »

Overtated - Summer in Paradise
Underrated - Pet Sounds

Grin Grin Grin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!    Wall

Hey, it was bound to happen sometime  LOL
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »

Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Friends, Surf's Up and Sunflower are rockin'?

Also, is Darlin' a bad song just because it's an "outtake"/rewrite?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »

Over rated-The cocaine sessions
underrated- The campfire sessions
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2015, 08:33:20 AM »

Also, is Darlin' a bad song just because it's an "outtake"/rewrite?
Who cares? It doesn't sound like one, maybe the least "back-to-basics" track on the album.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »

Overrated:  Surf's Up.  The critic's darling, it just isn't in the top ten Beach Boys albums IMO, a few moments of greatness and the rest is dross.  Not nearly as consistently good as Sunflower.

Underrated:  20/20 - or Sunflower Part 1, this was their first great true group effort.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »

I don't mind Sumahama.  KTSA is much weaker than LA, though. They should have been great covering Chuck Berry, but School Days fails to ring the bell; and why on earth did they resurrect When Girls Get Together? Embarrassing.
light album and ktsa are just forgettable, a couple decent cuts per album but overall more miss than hit.
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

Overrated: All Summer Long  I think there are quality tunes on there and I have the mono/stereo version saved on my iPhone.  While it enjoys a fair amount of listens,  it realistically is just a decent effort.  There is nothing particularly bad about the album but it lacks the punch of Today and, hell, even Shut Down Vol.2 has some nice kick to it and is more enjoyable of an album as a whole.  For a summer album, for that period, I'd prefer Summer Days.

Underrated: 15 Big Ones  I can see that it was a strike out at the time and they blew a great chance to gain critical praise. But I spin my copy quite frequently. I think "Talk to Me" is amazing and just about everything else is quite enjoyable except "TM Song" and I'm not a huge of "Everyone..." but it does get stuck in my head at times.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »

Overrated: Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) Why does this get so much praise and respect? It's an uneven hodgepodge of different styles, different levels of quality and different moods. That may sound like a good thing, but on an actual listen it's a mess. They recycled a song from their previous album which I call lazy. The filler on this is much more distracting than the filler on Today! and speaking of that album, this was a major step DOWN from that. Today! going into Pet Sounds is much more representative of Brian's growth. This album is like the awkward, unexplained valley between those two peaks.

Underrated: Smiley Smile Even many fans seem to hate it, and the Boys themselves dont seem to hold it in any high regard either. I want to know more about these sessions and the intent behind them but nobody in the know seems willing to talk about it. Whether you personally like listening to it or not, you have to respect the fact that it took serious balls to release. It completely went against everything that was defining pop music at the time. It's one of the biggest WTF moments in music history, completely predated the back to basics movement, has a unique sound thats never been emulated by any other group, and is just as experimental as Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

EDIT: I wanted to keep this simple and just do one for each. However, in hindsight I think I should add a few points. Wild Honey may be an enjoyable listen for some people and that's great. I dont care if someone really likes it or whatever, but I think it is worth noting that it's a major step down from what came before, and not even in a cool experimental way like Smiley. So I guess you could call that overrated, in that it gets a lot of attention here when technically speaking it isnt a very good album. Surf's Up could also be considered overrated in that everyone in the fandom hypes it up as the cool Beach Boys album, when listening to it now, I'd say it's anything but cool. I dont know if it's fair to call it overrated tho looking at it just in the modern context. I just think it may have been cool then but it hasnt aged well at all and now looks very dated and tacky. Also, as far as the general public is concerned, Today! is very underrated. The popular narrative is that the Boys were a light surfing group and then WHAM out of nowhere, Pet Sounds. But in reality, Brian had been growing since '64, with '65 as a big big step forward. Just as it was for the Beatles. It actually really surprises me that he names Rubber Soul as the impetus for PS when he basically had already made Pet Sounds (just not quite as musically advanced) with Today. The general public needs to know about and appreciate that album, and it's a crime not many do.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:25:56 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »

How is an album like Love You "overrated" when even some of the most hardcore fans on BB message boards such as Smiley Smile don't like it? That record's actual fan base is still incredibly small as it's not even a particular fave among rock critics. I don't get it.

I agree 110%. It took me a very long time to get around to listening to it due to all the bad word of mouth surrounding it even here. I assumed it must be junk. When I finally gave it a shot I was blown away by how good it was, outdated synth sounds and awkward lyrics aside. It's not a critically acclaimed album or a fan favorite. It's not something that you'd see rereleased in 180g vinyl or as a boxset. It's just a cult classic with a small but dedicated fanbase. Nothing more. Overrated? More like virtually unheard.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »

Across the board (hardcore fans, rock critics, general public):

Overrated: SMILE. As an album or complete collection, Smile just doesn't make it for me ... I like the individual songs, but feel they work better as originally released -- spread out among the later LPs. And I love Smiley. As an album, it just doesn't flow or work in my opinion.

To be fair, the BWPS sequence doesnt do it much favors. Ive always loved the SMiLE music, but felt it was less than the sum of its parts. Then I tried out a personalized two-suite/side structure as opposed to the way it was on TSS and it really gave me a new appreciation for the music as a cohesive statement. Im not plugging my version so much as suggesting you try playing around with the order yourself and seeing how you feel.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx