gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:35:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated BB's Albums  (Read 28620 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »

Underrated: SMILEY SMILE or SURFIN' U.S.A.
  Overrated: WILD HONEY

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

Question to the OP:  do you mean by the general public or people on this board?  The answers would be vastly different.

Seeing as the general public are only aware of one BB album, I'm guessing OP meant on this board.

(Vastly) Overrated - Love You. A good third of this album is absolutely hideous.
Underrated - SIP. Despite it's (mostly deserved) bad rep there are a handfull of good songs on it. People very rarely mention this.

Also, although it's not a proper album per se I think some of the Smile material is insanely overrated.

The few good songs on SIP (those not written by Mike*) were destroyed by Mike.  As always, one of the all-time turd albums ever released by a major rock group.

* except for "Surfin"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:02:53 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

Underrated: LA
Overrated: Wild Honey (and or) Holland

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »

As always, one of the all-time turd albums ever released by a major rock group.

Now, see?  That's how I feel about both Smiley Smile and Love You.    Undecided
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »

As always, one of the all-time turd albums ever released by a major rock group.

Now, see?  That's how I feel about both Smiley Smile and Love You.    Undecided

There's no way anyone can argue, though, that Love You and Smiley Smile are anywhere near as bad as Summer in Paradise. It's just an entirely different level. I like Love You and Smiley Smile, but I can see why someone would not. But neither of them can conceivably be compared to Summer in Paradise.

Overrated: Sunflower (though Holland is the album most overrated by music critics)
Underrated: M.I.U. It's not that underrated but has a few better songs that perhaps it gets credit for.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »

Question to the OP:  do you mean by the general public or people on this board?  The answers would be vastly different.

Seeing as the general public are only aware of one BB album, I'm guessing OP meant on this board.

(Vastly) Overrated - Love You. A good third of this album is absolutely hideous.
Underrated - SIP. Despite it's (mostly deserved) bad rep there are a handfull of good songs on it. People very rarely mention this.

Also, although it's not a proper album per se I think some of the Smile material is insanely overrated.

The few good songs on SIP (those not written by Mike*) were destroyed by Mike.  As always, one of the all-time turd albums ever released by a major rock group.

* except for "Surfin"

Here are the songs from SIP I don't consider to be crap.

Hot Fun In The Summertime - an ok cover of what is an average song to begin with.
Surfin' - Not great but hardly a blight on the original.
Strange Things Happen - as good a song about Al Jardine getting sexually aroused as we're going to get.
Slow Summer Dancing - I really like this one.
Still Surfin' - tired subject matter but a nice tune.
Lahaina Alhoa - saved by Carl's fantasitic vocals.
Summer In Paradise - there's a really good song trying to get out here. Only Mike can work the word Kokomo into a song about saving the planet.

Summer of Love is so bad it's enjoyably bad.

Can't defend the rest though. Island Fever is another lame Kokomo re-write and turning Forever into a metal lite power ballad is unforgivable. It's worth mentioning that most 60's stalwarts were making rubbish albums around this time.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »

Over-rated: Love You

Under-rated: Beach Boys '85
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2013, 01:15:14 AM »

Underrated: Love You, Light Album, 15BO, Little Deuce Coupe, Friends
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2013, 01:22:38 AM »

Underrated: Love You, Light Album, 15BO, Little Deuce Coupe, Friends

Is Friends under-rated? I thought everyone loved it, bar Bruce and Mike (still curious to hear what it was Mike said he didn't like about Friends, if anyone can enlighten me).
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »

Looks like the winners are:

Overrated: Wild Honey

Underrated: MIU

Revisionists unite!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »

Arghhh.................. some of these choices......................

Pistols at dawn!!   LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »

Looks like the winners are:

Overrated: Wild Honey

Underrated: MIU

Revisionists unite!

But... but... but Wild Honey is F**KING BRILLIANT!!!! Heads should roll for this gross injustice.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »

Albums such as Wild Honey, Sunflower and Love You are Works Of Genius!  They are effing brilliant in every way so IT IS IMPOSSIBLE (shouting here) for them to be "overrated".

Is Abbey Road overrated?  Is Monet's Lillies painting overrated?  Is Yosemite National Park overrated?

I would agree, however, thet Smiley Smile is UNDERrated.  VASTLY VASTLY underrated.  And with respect to Carl, Smiley Smile was NOT a bunt, but a based loaded triple!

Smiley Smile is the Father Of All Indie Music!   check it out.

Get me?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »

I don't think Sunflower is overrated per se, but I think it's overrated compared to Surf's Up (which is often underrated compared to Sunflower...). I think MIU is mostly shite, mind you...
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2015, 05:25:48 AM »

Just my opinion…
Most OVERRATED: Holland
Most UNDERRATED: Carl And The Passions
KDS
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »

Just my humble opinion.  No need for disagreeing with this post with all caps. 

In the eyes of the general public

Overrated - Pet Sounds - Generally regarded by many as the greatest album of all-time.  I don't even think its the BB greatest album.

Underrated - Every album from Wild Honey - Holland - In the US, many people outside the Bri-universe don't seem to know these albums exist

In the Bri-universe

Overrated - Smile / Love You - The released version of Smile has a lot of great moments, but not enough great material throughout the album.  The best songs of Love You are equal to the album cuts on most of the BB material from 62-73. 

Underrated - Surfin USA / That's Why God Made the Radio - Surfin USA is a fun record that isn't always taken seriously.  A lot of positivity toward the closing suite on TWGMTR, but to me, the whole album is a journey.  I hear it almost as a concept album about The Beach Boys' final summer together.  Especially when Brian says "I'm better on my own" in PCH at the end. 
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2015, 05:55:23 AM »

Underrated: BB85 - I love almost all of it, mostly for Carl.
Overrated: Smiley Smile - A great big 'meh' of an album.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »

If we are referring to the fan base on this board:

Overrated: nothing, really. All beach boys albums deserve heaps of critical praise.

Underrated: LA Light album.
every album from surfin usa thru holland and love you are ALL solid phenomenal records but the weak albums from miu thru 85 arent so much underrated as they were just a waste..those albums matter to us zealots but historically they made no impact yknow
KDS
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »

If we are referring to the fan base on this board:

Overrated: nothing, really. All beach boys albums deserve heaps of critical praise.

Underrated: LA Light album.
every album from surfin usa thru holland and love you are ALL solid phenomenal records but the weak albums from miu thru 85 arent so much underrated as they were just a waste..those albums matter to us zealots but historically they made no impact yknow

I will admit that the quality significantly went downhill after Holland.  But I wouldn't call every album that followed a "waste."  While the quality of albums as a whole declined, there's still some really good songs there.  Even the much maligned Summer in Paraside has some redeeming qualities. 
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »

It's hard to say anymore what's under- or overrated.

Once when there were limited outlets for music criticism, and every mention you saw of an album was negative, and you liked that album... then you could have assumed it was underrated.

But now, with the internet, everyone is offering their opinion of every album of every name band, on blogs and message boards and social media, and you can always find someone who shares your opinion. And any album that has been praised to the skies gets a backlash, and every album that has been panned gets a reappraisal. Sometime the backlash/reappraisal becomes the new orthodoxy, and the process starts all over again.

In general, on this forum, (but outside of it, who knows) I think the pre-Today albums are underrated and the post-Holland albums are overrated (with maybe M.I.U. being an exception). I've mentioned before my incredulity, for example, that TWGMTR is rated higher than Shut Down vol.2.

Please delete my account
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »

I would add TWGMTR to the overrated pile, there's about 4 songs on it I like.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »

Overrated: Holland
Underrated: Party!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »

Calling party underrated is like calling 15big ones underrated, both cover albums w the exception that 15 is covers and rehashed outtakes.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »

Overrated: Holland
Underrated: Party!
He right.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »

This is really tough, so I will say:
Underrated: Smiley Smile - cause it was expected to be SMiLE, but in its own stoned way, it is brilliant;
                  LA (Light Album) - cut the disco track down to 4 minutes, add It's a Beautiful Day, and you've got the best BB's album since Holland.
Overrated: Love You - I guess I can understand why the Brianistas love this album, it's the only latter day BB's album that is all Brian's vision...but it's not Son of SMiLE or Pet Sounds Revisited.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx