gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:02:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated BB's Albums  (Read 28822 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »

It would be interesting to see people's opinion on which BB's album you think is the most overrated and which one is the most underrated.
This is just people's opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean it's fact.

I'll get things started:

Most Overrated: "All Summer Long"
Most Underrated: "The Beach Boys (1985)"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:01:18 PM by Gettin' pretty damn hungry now... » Logged
veryape
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »

over-rated = Sunflower
under-rated= M.I.U
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »

ah, that's easy, ps and catp.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »

Most Overrated: Wild Honey
Most Underrated: 15 Big Ones
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »

Question to the OP:  do you mean by the general public or people on this board?  The answers would be vastly different.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »

overrated: Love You
underrated: M.I.U.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »

Question to the OP:  do you mean by the general public or people on this board?  The answers would be vastly different.

^  What he said!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »

Seeing as the general public are only aware of one BB album, I'm guessing OP meant on this board.

(Vastly) Overrated - Love You. A good third of this album is absolutely hideous.
Underrated - SIP. Despite it's (mostly deserved) bad rep there are a handfull of good songs on it. People very rarely mention this.

Also, although it's not a proper album per se I think some of the Smile material is insanely overrated.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »

To individuals. Their opinions, not to the general public
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »

Seeing as the general public are only aware of one BB album, I'm guessing OP meant on this board.

(Vastly) Overrated - Love You. A good third of this album is absolutely hideous.
Underrated - SIP. Despite it's (mostly deserved) bad rep there are a handfull of good songs on it. People very rarely mention this.

Also, although it's not a proper album per se I think some of the Smile material is insanely overrated.
I think the general public definetely are aware of Pet Sounds, plus I think Smile and the Smile Sessions are also well-known to the general public as well.
Although other than the two, all the other albums, whether they be insanely great, or disgustingly horrible, is not well-known at all to the general public
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »

Ok......

Maybe it's me, but I just don't understand why Love You gets put up on that pedestal.  I've tried and tried, but I don't see it.  To me, it's just another one of those late 70s Beach Boys thingys....

As for underrated, I'm gonna say Sunflower, just because so many folks call it overrated.  Really?  How can someone declare Sunflower, one of their most brilliant albums but a huge commercial failure, overrated?  Who's overrating it?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »

Ok......

Maybe it's me, but I just don't understand why Love You gets put up on that pedestal.  I've tried and tried, but I don't see it.  To me, it's just another one of those late 70s Beach Boys thingys....

As for underrated, I'm gonna say Sunflower, just because so many folks call it overrated.  Really?  How can someone declare Sunflower, one of their most brilliant albums but a huge commercial failure, overrated?  Who's overrating it?

You are, by calling it one of their most brilliant albums  LOL

Apples and oranges though, I think Love You is one of their most brilliant albums.

But my answer to the original question is ....

Overated - Sunflower / Holland (its a tie)

Under rated - Smiley Smile

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »

Overrated:  Surfer Girl.  Besides the title track, In My Room, Your Summer Dream, Catch a Wave. and Hawaii.  I've never really been crazy about Surfer Moon, I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but it at least doesn't even compare to the other three ballads on the album in my opinon, South Bay Surfer is just laughable, Our Car Club and Surfers Rule are just generic forgettable car/surf songs, and then Rocking Surfer is instrumental filler.  I would say that Shut Down Vol. 2 was their first really great album.

Underrated:  The Beach Boys '85 gets a lot of flack because of the production but not only do I absolutely love the production, I think there are some really great songs here that don't get enough attention (aside from Getcha Back).  This was a particularly great album for Carl Wilson, both as a singer and a songwriter and probably the last time he would get a chance to really shine on a Beach Boys album (he's almost nonexistent on Summer in Paradise).  I think it also gets put aside as it was supposed to be a creative comeback for Brian Wilson and his material is, well, awkward to say the least.  And I guess considering it had been five years since their last album, they could have had better material.  But on its own as a whole, I think it's a good album.  Not a great one and not their best by far but one that deserves more attention among Beach Boys fans.

MBE
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04:13 AM »

Love You-over rated
20/20 under
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »

If we are referring to the fan base on this board:

Overrated: nothing, really. All beach boys albums deserve heaps of critical praise.

Underrated: LA Light album.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »

To the general public:

Overrated: None. No other Beach Boys albums is well known to the general public, besides Pet Sounds (which deserves all the acclaim it receives).
Underrated: Smiley Smile. A brilliant album full of brilliant melodies and experimentation. Essential listening.

On this board:

Overrated: Holland. Continues the creative freefall set into motion by Carl and the Passions. Just a heap of boring songs (besides Sail On Sailor, which is amazing). However, it is at least less self consciously roots-rocky and has a lot more of Beach Boy identity than the former album.

Underrated: None. People here seem to love absolutely everything Brian, Dennis, et. al. touched.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:53:57 AM by Gabo » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 12:56:53 AM »

Overtated - Summer in Paradise
Underrated - Pet Sounds

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:44 AM »

Over - "Love You" - I always liked the eloquent quote on this board: "Would've made a great EP."

Under - "20/20" - Still don't understand how a record that has I Can Hear Music, Be With Me, Do It Again, Time To Get Alone, I Went to Sleep, Never Learn Not To Love, Our Prayer and Cabinessence on it, can also have the exact same star ratings as CATP and TWGMTR do on the All Music Guide -- fine as those later two may be.  Somebody pinch me and wake me up!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:49:52 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »

*pinch* WAKE UP!!!!!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »

How is an album like Love You "overrated" when even some of the most hardcore fans on BB message boards such as Smiley Smile don't like it? That record's actual fan base is still incredibly small as it's not even a particular fave among rock critics. I don't get it.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:50 AM »

How is an album like Love You "overrated" when even some of the most hardcore fans on BB message boards such as Smiley Smile don't like it? That record's actual fan base is still incredibly small as it's not even a particular fave among rock critics. I don't get it.
It might have a very small fan base, but there are people who think it's one of the Beach Boys' best albums, while I think it's one of their weakest. So IMO it's enormously overrated by some people.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 01:35:20 AM »

I think there's just as many critics that think of it as a near-masterpiece (e.g. Christgau..."A" rating, etc). Or..as it says in Wiki: "positively received by critics both then and today."

That, and I think it's sort of become the de facto point, by most, in terms of stating: "What's the last great BBs album?" or "So-and-so is their best album since Love You."

It may be controversial, but I still think it's pretty highly regarded.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:36:58 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 01:36:19 AM »

*pinch* WAKE UP!!!!!!

I changed my mind. I'm having a good dream.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 01:40:27 AM »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:43:00 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:31 AM »

Over - Love You - I always liked the eloquent quote on this board: "Would've made a great EP."

Under - 20/20 - Still don't understand how a record that has I Can Hear Music, Be With Me, Do It Again, Time To Get Alone, I Went to Sleep, Never Learn Not To Love, Our Prayer and Cabinessence on it, can also have the exact same star rating as CATP and TWGMTR do on the All Music Guide -- fine as those later two may be.  Somebody pinch me and wake me up!

I agree.  I'm not a fan of Smiley Smile either but it doesn't get the praise that Love You does.  And you hit the nail on the head with 20/20. Sunflower has as many cooks as 20/20 but no one ever dismisses it as the disjointed hodgepodge many people call 20/20.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:43:39 AM by Phoenix » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx