gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:15:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So...What is your favorite MIC track?  (Read 16524 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »

Good Vibrations (mono)

Wasn't aware there was a stereo mix of the final version on Made In California (mono) ;( ;( ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:44 AM »

"All I Want To Do" live... If this had been ready one year earlier, it would have been perfect to open the Monterey festival gig with - but of course the group dynamics at the time wouldn't have made it possible anyway.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:35 AM »

I am very glad that Mona Kana is instrumental. I don't think it needs a lead vocal. It's amazing.

Right now?

'Be With Me' demo - haunting stuff

You're gettin' soft, Stephen. There aren't even any countermelodies!

I know, I know. Also I liked Goin To The Beach. It's all downhill from here.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »

I like going to the Beach as well and also Be With Me, demo, but since I am not a real professor (gee, fellas, don't tell), the weight of my scholarly authority may bring no actual support to Stephen's position!

The thing is that each new pass through the 6 albums brings a new shock of joy and of engagement with new melodies, arrangements, a new awareness of the soul of the song and singers, an instrumental part, etc. It's like exploring a whole brave new world.
Paulos
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »

I have to say that while it's not my favorite track on MIC, the new mix of Rock And Roll Music is brilliant. It's far, far superior to the hideous 15BO version.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »

WIBNTLA hands down. I've listened to it a dozen times now (got the set last night) and it lives up to the hype.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bill Ed
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »

(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 09:27:53 AM »

I have several favorites, but 1 song I enjoyed plenty is Runaway (live In Chicago). The BBs did really great job on covering this tune, from start to finish! I never liked the whiney organ in the original, so I'm glad that it was replaced by the boss guitar solo. As for lead vocal, it's fantastic! Al outclassed Del by a country mile, only falsetto alone sounds more convincing & stronger. And that saying sth. because I'm a big fan of Del Shannon, reckon he's one of the most underrated rock & roll vocalists. In short, The BBs, as usual, made another's song their own.

In terms of new mixes of familiar material, Rock & Roll Music was given the best treatment of all imo. Sheer coolness & groove! Accentuating of the word "piano" in the last verse is grating, though - too forced & nasal. But it's a tiny complaint. In addition to R&R M, I rather constantly played There's No Other. Dig the session intro a lot, despite my almost total lack of understanding of what's going on in the studio. Carl's pseudo-Jardine speech was entertaining, as were gangsterish call-and-responses (e.g. Mike's "Can I come ON?"), insane laughters & chipmunk-y joyful shout. Also take into account Mike's rare falsettoing during "Tickets to Ride", the Sloop John B guitar motif & amazing singing/harmonizing by all & you've got a little unique gem right here. Easily beats the original.
3rd thing on my ranking is Meant for You. It's definitely the definitive version of song. Brian's sweet & slightly childlike performance made it out to be more lightweight & optimistic, yet without it going onto corny teritory & still sounding tasteful. Don't mind the silly lyrics at all as well.

Now, there's You're Still A Mystery, which I - believe it or not - never heard till this late summer. Unlike some of you, I wasn't won over by it, specifically the chorus. Of course, magnificent melody, harmonies, arrangement etc. etc., yet every time I listen to it, I have strange inexplicable feeling that it's not finished, sth. should be changed or added here & there. Won't be able to explain myself, let alone decide whether I like or dislike this "legendary" song. Kind of a mixed bag. Maybe I'll like it eventually? Idk.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 04:52:15 AM »

At the moment Barnyard Blues
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »

Where Is She is my favorite new track.

Help Me Ronda's the live track I enjoy most.  I was underwhelmed by Blondie's wild honey.

Do it Again's the best remix.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »

Quite a few super nice things. I seriously don't think I could pick one, or even two, so....

"(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again"
"California Feelin'"
"Soul Searchin'"
"Where is She?"
"California Feelin'" (Original Demo)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »

There are quite a few favorites, but since the question referred to 'track' (i.e. singular, duh) I'll go with the stereo Do It Again.  It's perfect!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »

WIBNTLA is a given, so I won't count it. I'd say probably My Love Lives On. It's like another important piece of a musical puzzle started with the POB/Bambu reissue.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »

Guess I'm Dumb & Little Bird live.  And, contrary to pop opinion, I don't think the live version if SIP is bad at all.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »

I didn't think I'd be saying this, because when I first heard it I wasn't initially blown-away, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)" is possibly one of my favourite Songs ever now, and definitely the boxes high-light for me.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »

I just LOVE Sherry, She Needs Me. I can wonder like us all what it would have sounded like with a 1965 Brian lead, but the 1976 Brian does things with it the 1965 Brian would never have even considered, and I just LOVE that part where it soars to a Sheeerrrry, Baby!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »

I just LOVE Sherry, She Needs Me. I can wonder like us all what it would have sounded like with a 1965 Brian lead, but the 1976 Brian does things with it the 1965 Brian would never have even considered, and I just LOVE that part where it soars to a Sheeerrrry, Baby!

I love it too, infact it's been bashing in my head all day, but it's a shame it has the processing overlayed on it. I still love it either way :D

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with "Where Is She?" when I first heard it, but now I listen to it constantly.

Also, I could listen to "I Believe in Miracles" over and over and over again.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »

I was very pleased with this box set. At least 4 or 5 songs on here that I am addicted to lately:

Where Is She - As a big BB fan for a long time, this was a revelatory inclusion on here. I had no idea this existed, although I did read about a song of this title being recorded. The harmony vocal Brian sings with himself alone really struck me as something unique and sounded weird at first, like he messed up the vocal part. After subsequent listens it fits like a glove and all makes sense. Just a great example of Brian's unique songwriting, and this song is beautiful. Love the mellow Friends-like production on here (and the Baldwin organ making an appearance)

California Feelin' (Demo) - The full band recording is obviously better, but it's so weird to hear Brian sing from this period! It sounds so strange, a weird mixture of his early 70s voice and 15 Big Ones era voice. It has a nice level of melancholy to the vocals even though at first listens I thought it sounded like he was merely messing around. It keeps getting in my head though, esp the way he sings it here.

WIBNTLA - Excellently produced song with soaring Dennis vocals. I tried hard to keep my expectations low. I love Dennis's early 70s period for songwriting and there's been a lot of hype as being a sort of "holy grail" for most BB fanatics. Well I wasn't disappointed and it only grows over time. I wish it was on Surfs Up.

Mona Kani - Nice to have this in excellent quality. This song is amazingly done. I'm shocked Dennis could do something like this (so Brian Wilson-esque)

Meant For You Extended - Never knew this existed either. Was surreal hearing this song go on longer with Brian singing out of nowhere.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »

Has to be WIBNTLA for me.
Though I really like Wild Honey live and Help Me Rhonda live with Dennis on Lead Vocals!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »

Is it just me (it's not because my friend had the same thought ) that Mike's vocal on DIA sounds kinda muddy and too isolated in the stereo mix?Disc 3 has so many great songs. Brian certainly hadn't lost it after Smile.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:13:46 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »

Rather than start a new thread, I thought to bring this back to the forefront for a minute.  Months between listening a but I keep coming back to the well of this release.    Recently reappreciated Mystery and the disc 6 piece titled WHY.  there is more material on this box that I have listened to fewer times than anything in the catalogue.   And I have heard a lot of unreleased material.   but some of this stuff is not only new to these ears, but nicely rerecord end and remixed.  I'm sure this has been discussed but please indulge me.  Was this WHY piece the foundation for some more recently fully realized pieces?   and about when was Mystery recorded, how old was Brian?  sounds like BW 88 but only better.  any other outstanding pieces you all could recommend and discuss a bit re this box?  Given the wait time for the new BW's lp and the lllllong wait for Love and Mercy,  this would seem a good focus for a minute rather than some of the silly threads we are entertaining of late...........
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »

Lately I have been listening mostly to the backing tracks, especially Guess I'm Dumb, Had To Phone Ya, Transcendental Meditation. All three are bad-ass. As for the lead vocal on She's Still A Mystery, it sure sounds like Imagination-era Brian or a little later. I am so used to hearing the original vocal that I can't get used to hearing this newer one. Also, I love those processed backing vocals on Slip On Through. Very cool and very spacey. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »

I think the re-mixed Sail Plane Song is currently my favored track on MIC, although I still play the heck out of WIBNTLA and Sherry. Also the instrumental Guess I'm Dumb. Those would be my top four from MIC. Subject to change. And probably sooner than later.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx