gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:56:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how many have the candix 45 in their collection?  (Read 1802 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »

I don't have either of the 4 or 5 pressings...... I have all the BB albums and a bunch of 45's... but wondering how many
have paid out lots of $$ for the first single, or got it at a super bargain price...

any special memories with acquiring this gem?

RickB
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

I found mine in a box at the Salvation Army store about 5 years ago. It's a "Audition Copy". Plays great. Lucky day for me. Best dime I ever spent.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »

No special memories for these, tho I have all the variations, some more than one copy each. 
For special obtaining memories, no one beats Mikie!  ( or his ghost writer Jon) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:23:54 AM »

I bought a near mint 331 Candix cheap in the 1990's in the days when everyone thought it was the 2nd press (including me). I also have a nice "X" label copy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »

I picked up a not-bad copy of the Candix (Dist by Era Record Sales Inc) on eBay earlier this year for under $30. That'll satisfy me for ever (or until I win the Lotto).

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

I've got one of the 2nd-3rd run of Candix pressings, very much in used and scratchy condition. Got it decades ago from a collector.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »

Who are " The Candix"?

Are they like Jan & Arnie?  Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:34:39 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

Don't have one yet.  Wouldn't that have been a great record store day reissue?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »

Here's mine.  45’s are VG++ condition and two are mint minus condition.

Surfin/Luau
X RECORDS 301
CD-TS-1-R, CD TS-2-R
Drink-Guild Music (BMI)
Producer: H. Morgan

Surfin/Luau
CANDIX 331
CD-TS-1, CD TS-2
Drink-Guild Music (BMI)

Surfin/Luau
CANDIX 301
Dist. By ERA RECORD SALES INC.
CD-TS-1-R, CD TS-2-R
Guild Music (BMI)

Surfin/Luau  (2 copies)
CANDIX 301
CD-TS-1-R, CD TS-2-R
Guild Music (BMI)

Candix MATRIX's:

1. CD-TS-1 (“Surfin’”) b/w CD-TS-2 (“Luau”);
2. CD-TS-1-R (“Surfin’”) b/w CD-TS-2-R (“Luau”);
3. CD-TS-1R (“Surfin’”) b/w CD-TS-2R (“Luau”).

NOTE: The Candix matrix designations indicate:

CD=Candix Records
TS=The Surfers (the name Candix originally intended to give to the Pendletones)
1=side of the record
R=reissue - Second pressing

LABELS:

1. “Candix 331” (matched with matrix #1)
2. “X 301” (matched with matrix #2)
3. “Candix 301” (matched with matrix #2)
4. “Candix 301” (matched with matrix #3)
5. “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Record Sales” (matched with matrix #3).

Looking through the collection recently, it turns out I don't have an "Audition" copy.  Darn it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »

Got my Audition Copy of Candix 301 in excellent condition for 35 cents at a used record store back in the late sixties.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

Mikie, as I recall the info on the various matrix numbers goes all the way back to some research you and Brad Elliott did a number of years ago, so what I'm posting here has probably been discussed in the past, and is on an order of minutia that would cause a lot of people throw up their hands and sigh who cares, but the matrix numbers on my Candix 331 Dist by Era Record Sales Audition Copy read as follows:  CD - T - S - 1 - R and CD - T - S - 2 - R.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:41:43 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »

According to Stephen McParland in his book “Our Favourite Recording Sessions,” there were three distinctly separate pressings/matrix designations, and FIVE distinctly separate labels:

CS, I don't have an "Audition" copy to reference. Bgas has one, so maybe you could compare notes with him. I don't know why the "Audition" matrix numbers would be any different than stock copies of Candix 301 (except for the words "Audition" and "Era Record Sales). I think a small volume of these were pressed on the final run and also think they only went out to local radio stations in L.A., but I could be wrong.

Mr. Dempsey or Mr. Mayo or Mr. Reum, AGD, or Mr. Woods may want to chime in here since they presumably have Candix "Audition" copies.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:04:23 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »

Mikie, as I recall the info on the various matrix numbers goes all the way back to some research you and Brad Elliott did a number of years ago, so what I'm posting here has probably been discussed in the past, and is on an order of minutia that would cause a lot of people throw up their hands and sigh who cares, but the matrix numbers on my Candix 331 Dist by Era Record Sales Audition Copy read as follows:  CD - T - S - 1 - R and CD - T - S - 2 - R.

According to Stephen McParland in his book “Our Favourite Recording Sessions,” there were three distinctly separate pressings/matrix designations, and FIVE distinctly separate labels:

CS, I don't have an "Audition" copy to reference. Bgas has one, so maybe you could compare notes with him. I don't know why the "Audition" matrix numbers would be any different than stock copies of Candix 301 (except for the words "Audition" and "Era Record Sales). I think a small volume of these were pressed on the final run and also think they only went out to local radio stations in L.A., but I could be wrong.

Mr. Dempsey or Mr. Mayo or Mr. Reum or Mr. Woods may want to chime in here since they presumably have Candix "Audition" copies.
  Think the research goes back just a little before Mikie joined in... 
 Haven't seen McParland's book, so I can't comment on his designation of "three distinctly separate pressings/matrix designations" , other than to say, as noted below, I've only seen two.
>> I'm presuming that the third is SUPPOSED to be CD-TS-1R/2R, which I don't believe exists. If someone can produce evidence of such a pressing I'll be glad to admit my error, but I'll be very surprised if that happens.  <<
( I do think this goes back to the initial discussions some years back with BE and an erroneous  report from someone, tho I don't remember whom)
Passing that by , the "problem as I see it" is NOT that the matrix numbers are different, but that we're talking about different locations. 

For ALL copies EXCEPT Candix 331: 
 The labels all have CD-TS-1-R and CD-TS-2-R.
However,  the runouts have  CD-T-S-1-R and CD-T-S-2-R

Candix 331 labels AND runouts have CD-TS-1/CD-TS-2 

Mikie, since you have your copies out of storage ( or hopefully still have them close), perhaps you can verify what I'm saying with your copies. ( I know you've previously stated the labels and runouts are an exact match, but look closely) Mr. Machine, you can do the same? 

I'll be glad to scan and post my labels if that helps, but scans/photos of runout numbers are almost impossible to show, unfortunately

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »

Don't have one yet.  Wouldn't that have been a great record store day reissue?

"I Want Candix"  -- that was a song by the Strangelove's, wasn't it?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »

I received one along with a number of other BBs 45s as a Christmas gift from my ex (back when we were married, of course).  She had purchased them from the sincerely missed Coach Hanes. 

I never took a close look at the matrix #s or anything, but if memory serves, it may be an ERA release.  All I know is that the one time that I played it. it sounded pristine. 

I've been divorced for nearly 3 years; I'm assuming it's not too soon to dig that record out and "look a gift horse in the mouth", eh?  Wink
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »

ahhh great guys for chiming in with labels/runouts etc etc...... keep it coming.....

im yet to start my Candix collection, so looking for all the info I can get!  when im rich  Roll Eyes  ill know what to look for specifically///

Cheers, Rickb
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »

For ALL copies EXCEPT Candix 331: 
 The labels all have CD-TS-1-R and CD-TS-2-R.
However,  the runouts have  CD-T-S-1-R and CD-T-S-2-R

Bgas, you are absolutely correct!  I was looking at the matrix number in the runout.  On the label itself it's exactly as you and Mikie stated, with three hyphens rather than four.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx