gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:05:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIC modern reconstuction.  (Read 12451 times)
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

It was meant to be a live performance piece. Why must old tapes be manipulated in an attempt to match it? Did Look really seem that naked without the worthless "chi chi chi" crap flown in? How did the Mickey Mouse vocals on Da Da fit the blueprints? Why is it okay to make a new Vegetables and Child Is Father of the Man that DON'T match BWPS but God forbid if the sped up "Whispering Winds" vocals are shoehorned in there to match The Master's Final Vision even if it sounds awful? CIFOTM on disc 1 barely qualifies as a song, whereas the original (and mostly replicated) verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus format at least presents the song in a manner which shows it had at least a little potential. If the excuse is that it has to match BWPS it doesn't hold water if they strayed on several occasions. As far as I'm concerned the mess on disc 1 doesn't exist. I rolled my own and feel sorry for any newbie who gets misguided by the fly-ins and historical revisionisms.

Post of the year. I try not to think about the abortion that is disc one.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »

It was meant to be a live performance piece. Why must old tapes be manipulated in an attempt to match it? Did Look really seem that naked without the worthless "chi chi chi" crap flown in? How did the Mickey Mouse vocals on Da Da fit the blueprints? Why is it okay to make a new Vegetables and Child Is Father of the Man that DON'T match BWPS but God forbid if the sped up "Whispering Winds" vocals are shoehorned in there to match The Master's Final Vision even if it sounds awful? CIFOTM on disc 1 barely qualifies as a song, whereas the original (and mostly replicated) verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus format at least presents the song in a manner which shows it had at least a little potential. If the excuse is that it has to match BWPS it doesn't hold water if they strayed on several occasions. As far as I'm concerned the mess on disc 1 doesn't exist. I rolled my own and feel sorry for any newbie who gets misguided by the fly-ins and historical revisionisms.

Post of the year. I try not to think about the abortion that is disc one.

You guys realize this happened like two years ago, right? And that the set won a Grammy and everything?

And God forbid ... studio trickery and sped-up vocals on a Beach Boys release? Shocking.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:59:31 PM by Wirestone » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »

If Mark and Alan cured cancer tomorrow, we'd all be bitching about how they didn't do it sooner.
MBE
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »

I like The Smile Sessions a lot myself and feel like "flying in" parts is all what that album is about anyhow.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »

Amen to that. If Brian could have 'flown in' stuff in the 60s, he would have in my opinion, judging by how creative he got with the studio in other ways that *were* available to him then.

Disc 1 of TSS was always going to be contentious to the obsessives like ourselves, because we've invested so much in how *we* think SMiLE should sound over the years, and listening to Disc 1 is perforce an exercise in having to undo some of that. Brian's 2004 version of SMiLE was like that too for some, but at least that had completed performances on it. TSS Disc 1 was always going to need some futzing around to make it work, and some of the futzing was always going to be open to even more criticism than Brian's version.

For myself, sure, there's stuff on Disc 1 I like and bits I don't like as much. But I knew it would be like that, and I don't think it could have been avoided. One day, when I have time like I did in my 20s, I'll roll my own version to my satisfaction, like I did back then with the bits I had at the time. And *then* we'll have world peace. Or I will, anyway.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:06 AM »

After all, if they'd stuck to historical accuracy, Brian and Van Dyke would never have finished SMiLE.

They didn't.  Smiley

OK, I knew that bit would be controversial! I think there was a thread 100s of pages long on that very topic here a few years ago, wasn't there?

So, how about: "they completed a version of SMiLE that they considered finished"...?

Again: They did too, unfortunately without using the 1966/67 vintage tracks.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 12:56:06 AM »

He finished a Smile, but not the Smile, as conceived in 1966. BWPS is purely a 2003 construct.

But as SMiLE never was fully conceived in 1966/67, only several parts of it, SMiLE was finished in 2003/4.

It's not like Brian had a completed concept in 1966 and just didn't get around to record and assemble it all. So the "THE" SMiLE you think of doesn't even exist in thought. BWPS does exist, and is the only recording that could really be called "THE" SMiLE. If you say SMiLE is only SMiLE if it's the 1966 recordings and the contemporary voices, that's your definition and not the unquestionble truth.

MBE
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »

Maybe I am wrong on this but what I think is being said is that The Smile Session is a different beast than what makes up a 1966-67 vintage album. That said it is a great comp, or blend, of Beach Boys 1966-67 music. I feel that it served its purpose though because it stands as a palatable whole now that gets in (to me) nearly all the great moments.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »

I had no real problems with the Smile and I'm pretty easy to please with BB stuff but I sadly have a lot of problems with MIC. I wasn't prepared for such radical changes, even a lot of the stereo mixes I hadn't heard before erk me. I know after a few listens I will get used to it and enjoy it a lot more, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 05:57:42 AM »

I had no real problems with the Smile and I'm pretty easy to please with BB stuff but I sadly have a lot of problems with MIC. I wasn't prepared for such radical changes, even a lot of the stereo mixes I hadn't heard before erk me. I know after a few listens I will get used to it and enjoy it a lot more, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Care to share details? What didn't you like?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2013, 06:12:27 AM »

If Mark and Alan cured cancer tomorrow, we'd all be bitching about how they didn't do it sooner.

You know, I really wonder what's keeping those two lazy guys from curing cancer.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 06:56:39 AM »

It was meant to be a live performance piece. Why must old tapes be manipulated in an attempt to match it? Did Look really seem that naked without the worthless "chi chi chi" crap flown in? How did the Mickey Mouse vocals on Da Da fit the blueprints? Why is it okay to make a new Vegetables and Child Is Father of the Man that DON'T match BWPS but God forbid if the sped up "Whispering Winds" vocals are shoehorned in there to match The Master's Final Vision even if it sounds awful? CIFOTM on disc 1 barely qualifies as a song, whereas the original (and mostly replicated) verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus format at least presents the song in a manner which shows it had at least a little potential. If the excuse is that it has to match BWPS it doesn't hold water if they strayed on several occasions. As far as I'm concerned the mess on disc 1 doesn't exist. I rolled my own and feel sorry for any newbie who gets misguided by the fly-ins and historical revisionisms. Halleluah....holy sh*t. Where's the tylenol?

The difference now is that instead of giving us the snatch of "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" AND the complete track (like on "Endless Harmony") we get two different elements welded together into something new ("California Feeling"), which is confusing, jarring, and wrong (though I don't particularly care enough about "California Feeling" to get that bent out of shape over it).

Technology is running amok.

Do I win anything for spotting the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation reference?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 07:03:33 AM »

You know, I really wonder what's keeping those two lazy guys from curing cancer.

Too busy trying to please Beach Boy obsessives.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »

Too busy trying to please Beach Boy obsessives.

Very good answer! Smiley

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »

That all being said, I was on the record disagreeing with the BWPS reconstruction on disc 1 of TSS box -- it's nonsensical. A simple chronological assemblage of the best takes of the most finished songs and sections would have pleased me more. But I learned to live with it.

What's going on in MIC is quite interesting, though ... kind of an attempt to present an alternate history of the band, with bad mixing and out-of-sequence release dates wiped away. It seems to be an attempt to show the band's creative evolution, and the contributions of the members, in the most sympathetic way possible -- without focusing too much on any particular set of historical circumstances. A nice goal. Not sure if it entirely works, but by god 15BO sounds like an honest-to-god comeback now.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »

BW knew what he was doing recording the parts on 15 big ones, he just didn't have the drive to mix for perfection anymore. Something during SMiLE destroyed  his will to finish songs at Pet Sounds levels.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »

BW knew what he was doing recording the parts on 15 big ones, he just didn't have the drive to mix for perfection anymore. Something during SMiLE destroyed  his will to finish songs at Pet Sounds levels.

Ah, the myth of SMiLE...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »

I listened to CD 2 today and found the Smile/Smiley era to be my least favourite part of the disc. As a particular snapshot into the group's career retrospective it really lacked the flow of the material before and after it. Some of the material (those vocal sections) really struck me as drugged out weirdness and 'arty' for the sake of being arty. When the Wild Honey stuff kicked in it was like a godsend.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »

I listened to CD 2 today and found the Smile/Smiley era to be my least favourite part of the disc. As a particular snapshot into the group's career retrospective it really lacked the flow of the material before and after it. Some of the material (those vocal sections) really struck me as drugged out weirdness and 'arty' for the sake of being arty. When the Wild Honey stuff kicked in it was like a godsend.

yeah, i get what you mean. That stuff only really works in isolation

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

Nonsense.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »

Nonsense.

Care to elaborate? Or are you just being argumentative because you have a problem with me personally? Or maybe you really do consider a bunch of guys chanting "De de de Heroes and Villains" for what seems like an eternity to be a career highspot?

silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone else has found the bass to be a little too much on the stereo mix of "Do It Again"? 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »

Nonsense.

Care to elaborate? Or are you just being argumentative because you have a problem with me personally? Or maybe you really do consider a bunch of guys chanting "De de de Heroes and Villains" for what seems like an eternity to be a career highspot?

If you seriously think the Smile material needs any defense, particularly on this board, I don't know what to tell you.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone else has found the bass to be a little too much on the stereo mix of "Do It Again"?  
Sounds great to me and a nice alternative presentation of the song; a treat for the gotta have a stereo mix crowd- someone was bitching about to much treble on the box the other day...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:24:11 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »

Nonsense.

If you seriously think the Smile material needs any defense, particularly on this board, I don't know what to tell you.

You know, someone can be a big Beach Boys fan and not feel they have to love every last bit of Smile material.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx