gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:16:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: its a beautiful day 2012 mix  (Read 4229 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »

Shocked WOW i Always liked this song when i bought the double cd best of brother years but this version/mix rocks!! This should be the new single from the MIC box set i think.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:36 AM »

Never heard the tune before and I was mightily impressed with it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »

Shocked WOW i Always liked this song when i bought the double cd best of brother years but this version/mix rocks!! This should be the new single from the MIC box set i think.

It was on the Brother Years CD?  It wasn't on the US version, I've only previously ever heard it on bootleg.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »

He probably means 10 Years of Harmony.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »

He probably means 10 Years of Harmony.

Yes thats the one. Forgot the correct title, sorry

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ten-years-of-harmony-mw0000266927
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:17:28 PM by Dutchie » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

This song hurts my soul. This is the very definition of treating music as a job.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »

This song hurts my soul. This is the very definition of treating music as a job.

What? Seriously? I could not possibly disagree with you more. One of their finest non-BW songs in their canon. I am even tempted to day it's brilliant. In any event, this a GREAT song.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »

+ 1

I vow to never listen to it ever again.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »

What? Seriously? I could not possibly disagree with you more. One of their finest non-BW songs in their canon. I am even tempted to day it's brilliant. In any event, this a GREAT song.

Oh god..
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »

Still about a minute longer than it needs to be. They should have played with the sequence of the recorded vocals to get rid of those godawful Americathon references. Definitely possible, I managed to do it to some effect about a year ago...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »

I prefer the original version, but it's nice to have a different version. And I was very glad and surprised to see this included at all! Always been a favorite of mine
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »

Not got round to CD 4 yet. Is it the version with the extended fade? I hope so coz that's my favourite bit. Love that accordion(?) sound.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »

Not got round to CD 4 yet. Is it the version with the extended fade? I hope so coz that's my favourite bit. Love that accordion(?) sound.

Well, I've now listened to CD 4 and no, it doesn't feature the extended fade. Bummer. Still, top song!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »

I like the song to a certain extent and still I absolutely agree!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 08:01:05 AM »

Still about a minute longer than it needs to be. They should have played with the sequence of the recorded vocals to get rid of those godawful Americathon references. Definitely possible, I managed to do it to some effect about a year ago...
What references to Americathon?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »

It kills my soul, hey hey hey.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

We already knew that. It wasn't from Pet Sounds or Smile or written by Brian, so it can't be any good, right?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »

This song is kind of a flashback for me.  I remember when it came out, it got a fair amount of airplay where I lived, and then it.....vanished.  I never knew the title (hadn't listened that closely as I was just barely starting to get into the BBs at the time) and for several years I didn't give it much thought.  Revisiting it today, it sounds pretty good to me.  A lot catchier than most of their output (IMO, of course) from that period.

If IABD has been discussed here before, and I'm sure it has, somehow I missed it! 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »

We already knew that. It wasn't from Pet Sounds or Smile or written by Brian, so it can't be any good, right?

As far as I'm concerned, that's not the point. Big fan of what everyone contributed to the group's catalog, especially in terms of their 70s records. But It's a Beautiful Day does sound somewhat contrived I think, in the same way that much of KTSA sounds contrived. That said, I kinda like it anyhow and I think it could've helped to balance the Light Album.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, that's not the point. Big fan of what everyone contributed to the group's catalog, especially in terms of their 70s records. But It's a Beautiful Day does sound somewhat contrived I think, in the same way that much of KTSA sounds contrived. That said, I kinda like it anyhow and I think it could've helped to balance the Light Album.
Well, it was written to work within the confines of what the movie was about, so yea, the lyric is a bit contrived. I always liked the music and vocals. Another fine vocal performance from Carl on the chorus.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »

I'm with the kill my soul crew on this one. Ew. This should be the single from "Worst of the Beach Boys."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »

Always liked it.

Cheese, yes, but mighty tasty cheese.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »

I like it, but I also like "Problem Child" so what do I know?  The big saving grace of both for me is Carl.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »

Maybe because it actually was a job, since it was commissioned as a soundtrack song for the movie "Americathon"? The Boys did a good job with their job, since the song was played over the opening credits and it works very well in that context. I have no problem with it. It's catchy, it has a great Carl vocal, and it was more than what Brian was doing at the time.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »

No? Have i ever given any indication that i subscribe to that line of thinking? Was there anything in my two short sentences that suggests that? Do you honestly think it’s that simple? -- Beach Boys fan doesn't like one of their songs, must be because it's not Pet Sounds/Smile or written by Brian? I have argued before that Pet Sounds has ended up, in some ways, hurting the Beach Boys because it makes it easy for the uninitiated to ignore everything else, reducing the band's entire career to that one record. It irks me how much attention that one album always gets because they have plenty of stuff that is just as great. I also don’t think that Brian is infallible. And i wasn’t even aware that he wasn’t part of this song, because i’ve never felt the need to look into it. So, what were you basing your response on? Or am i just taking it too seriously?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx