gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:37:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You've Lost 'You've Lost That Loving Feelin's's Loving Feelin'  (Read 30510 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »

Seriously, why does it sound so spectacularly awesome on the bootlegs and yet so thin and lame on the MIC version...Huh What have they done to it?

Loved the set up until this point. This my only gripe so far.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

My beef has nothing to do with it being thin ... More that the mix tries to Spector-ize Brian's production by making it sound too big and echo-y and sweeping ...

I get the idea, mind you. It might even be what BW wanted ... it just doesn't quite mesh with the one-man band sound to my ears.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »

I've heard that Phil Cohen loves the mix  LOL
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »

Came in here to say this is my favorite thread title here EVER (BEST EVER, MIKIE). That's all, carry on.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »

Came in here to say this is my favorite thread title here EVER (BEST EVER, MIKIE). That's all, carry on.

Yup. I loved hearing it on MiC. I have never heard the boot though. I loved how big it sounded. It's infectiously good, the way Brian arranged it and performed. In fact, I think it's among my favorite tracks on the whole set.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

It's a good thread title!  Maybe the best thread of the month, but not the year or that I ever saw on this board. The grammar/spelling ain't right either.

This sounds pretty good, actually. I dunno about thin, but there's definitely echo added. Wider expansion on the speakers. Twould fit on 15 Big Ones or Love You without question. Seems like the chorus has been brought up in the mix. If it was intended to be Spectorish it......I dunno maybe more mono. But I like the expansive sound here - have no complaints. If it's thin anywhere, it's the lead vocal.

Damn good production effort by Brian Wilson, the one man show for this one.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:33:26 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »

Ha! I didn't catch on to that... I get to used to skimming thread titles. Shame on me.  police

Yes, very clever.  LOL
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »

I disagree, I think it sounds much better than the bootlegs which always sounded too muddy to me, the MIC mix is so much clearer.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »

There are a lot of instances in the box set where I wonder if some far out artistic liberties were really taken by BDW, or if it's a retcon by Linnet. Either way, it works here.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »

There are a lot of instances in the box set where I wonder if some far out artistic liberties were really taken by BDW, or if it's a retcon by Linnet. Either way, it works here.

Lots of retconning. More successful on some songs than others.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

I've wondered the exact same thing. I'm kinduva 'purist' I guess. I'm trying to do an A-B comparison on the stuff that's been booted to see but......it ain't easy. Just like the Smile Sessions. Is Linett taking liberties or does it have Brian's input? I'm thinking it's the former and Brian (and the band members) are buying off on it. Hard to say. This goes back to the days when Linett was involved with "finishing" Loop De Loop with Al.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:09:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »

Yes, there was heavy amount of 'tweaking' done on this and 'Sherry She needs Me'. Oddly, both sound suspiciously similar to  revisions I uploaded and shared with others about two years ago, right down to the pitch correction used (poorly) for parts of 'Sherry'.  I mean, I had to do a double-take as I thought I was playing 'my' versions at first. I'm sure it's just coincidence (great minds think alike!) but similar enough to give me pause for thought.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »

Seriously, why does it sound so spectacularly awesome on the bootlegs and yet so thin and lame on the MIC version...Huh What have they done to it?

Loved the set up until this point. This my only gripe so far.
I felt the same way on my initial listen of the MiC version, but I've come to enjoy it.

Had they just improved the sound quality and nothing else, it would have been perfect!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »

This goes back to the days when Linett was involved with "finishing" Loop De Loop with Al.

Actually, that was Steve Desper. Linett wasn't involved with the initial release of the Endless Harmony soundtrack.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:35:22 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »

Ah, OK. That's right, Desper mentioned going over to Red Barn to finish it. But again, the track was messed with long after it was initially recorded and who better to help Al than the guy who was originally involved with recording it back in 1969.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

Ah, OK. That's right, Desper mentioned going over to Red Barn to finish it. But again, the track was messed with long after it was initially recorded and who better to help Al than the guy who was originally involved with recording it back in 1969.

Agreed. Desper worked on a couple of things on the Ultimate Christmas compilation too, IIRC. Too bad he hasn't been involved more in the BB reissue world ... he's still got it!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »

Is there anything vintage about Sail Plane Song? It feels like a modern attempt by Linett to polish off a demo into a real song by adding lots of effects and I'm not really sure I like it.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »

Is there anything vintage about Sail Plane Song? It feels like a modern attempt by Linett to polish off a demo into a real song by adding lots of effects and I'm not really sure I like it.

It was released on the Endless Harmony soundtrack back in 98, and Mark wasn't involved in that project. (At least not the first CD issue with the horrid orange cover.) All of the instrumentation is on the original, but the mix is new and rather ... um ... experimental. Panning and reverb effects at the end. Can't imagine that was Brian's intent, but it was certainly Al's with Loop de Loop.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »

It was released on the Endless Harmony soundtrack back in 98, and Mark wasn't involved in that project. (At least not the first CD issue with the horrid orange cover.) All of the instrumentation is on the original, but the mix is new and rather ... um ... experimental. Panning and reverb effects at the end. Can't imagine that was Brian's intent, but it was certainly Al's with Loop de Loop.

Oh I mean compared to the EH version, is there anything vintage about this new mix? I know that the basic track is vintage.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »

Oh I mean compared to the EH version, is there anything vintage about this new mix? I know that the basic track is vintage.

Unless Mark or Alan say otherwise, I would wager money on the answer being no. Seems like they really wanted to give the impression that all the studio tracks on the first five discs were finished -- which means futzing around with the things like Sail Plane Song that were really just demos.

Other tracks where that seems apparent (to me) are things like We're Together Again (with a magical new string section), all the Smile stuff mixed in 2011, the tweaked Goin to the Beach and YSAM, and remixed 15BO tracks (after all, that's the one BB album where everyone agrees the original mix totally sucks).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:00:24 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »

Unless Mark or Alan say otherwise, I would wager money on the answer being no. Seems like they really wanted to give the impression that all the studio tracks on the first five discs were finished -- which means futzing around with the things like Sail Plane Song that were really just demos.

That's how it seemed to me too, and again, I'm not so sure how I feel about that sort of revisionism

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »

It's cool for collectors, who have all of the originals. I don't know about first-time fans. It makes the band seem more together than they actually were ... part of BB fandom (for me) has always been listening to and picking apart the odd, rushed mixes of great songs.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 01:10:20 AM »

I don't like messing around with their songs like this. It's like that 'Special Edition' version of the Exorcist where they've added in all this stuff that wasn't in the original and messed around with the soundtrack and basically just screwed up a classic. Give me the original! And the same goes with the BB's.

As for YLTLF, I don't think the heavy echo on the vocals is the problem, it's that those amazing synths - so prominent on the bootleg - have been blended into the mix and thus lost all their power. That first chorus should hit you like a sledgehammer, but on the MIC version it doesn't. I just cannot even begin to fathom why they would do this...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »

It's because the technology now exists to do what would have been unthinkable 10 years ago, and they just couldn't help themselves. This "mucking about" was necessary for TSS, but not for this box. The remixing and effects I'm not so bothered about, but autotuning historic recordings. NO!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:53 AM »

I don't like messing around with their songs like this. It's like that 'Special Edition' version of the Exorcist where they've added in all this stuff that wasn't in the original and messed around with the soundtrack and basically just screwed up a classic. Give me the original! And the same goes with the BB's.

As for YLTLF, I don't think the heavy echo on the vocals is the problem, it's that those amazing synths - so prominent on the bootleg - have been blended into the mix and thus lost all their power. That first chorus should hit you like a sledgehammer, but on the MIC version it doesn't. I just cannot even begin to fathom why they would do this...

Because of your screen name, I read everything you say in Bruce's voice. I'm not coming down on you, it actually amuses me.

I'VE WANTED TO TELL YOU FOR SO LONG. ONE MIGHT SAY OH SO LONG.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx