gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:05:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Days of Dennis Wilson  (Read 27566 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »

As a religious person myself I hate it when people who think they are rational, non-believers love to knock people who quietly practice their faith and don't look to bother or brainwash others.  Each to their own I say but respect others who might have a different point of view from your own.  Yet so many times I have to listen to people saying those who believe in God are brainwashed or idiots.  The irony is that the people who say it are vociferous in trying to convince others that their views are the only views one should hold.  And how anyone can claim that Atheists react to imminent death with more dignity than believers is beyond belief.  I've generally found that most people react similarly.  Is it not, after all, human nature for us to fear the unknown, or for our survival instincts to kick in, believer or not?  Maybe rather than fearing death some people don't want to leave their loved ones behind not because they suddenly think their is no life after death.

I really wish this stuff didn't need to be discussed on a Beach Boys post.

Excellent post. Pretty much says it all. Back to the Beach Boys now, please...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »

Disagree.

I don't believe in any religion or superstition but at the same time I don't spend my time bashing people for having a religion/superstition. However if one wants to bash a religion one should not be hindered. No one has the right to not be offended. Sure, one might be a jerk for bothering doing it but that doesn't mean he/she has no right to be a jerk and bug others.

Religions and other superstitions cannot be proven or disproven but just because one cannot prove a religion doesn't mean that the opposite, that it is true, is the correct judgment to make.

Even though someone on this board says something provocative about religion I will defend their right to say it. Screw those who would silence them.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »

Disagree.

I don't believe in any religion or superstition but at the same time I don't spend my time bashing people for having a religion/superstition. However if one wants to bash a religion one should not be hindered. No one has the right to not be offended. Sure, one might be a jerk for bothering doing it but that doesn't mean he/she has no right to be a jerk and bug others.

Religions and other superstitions cannot be proven or disproven but just because one cannot prove a religion doesn't mean that the opposite, that it is true, is the correct judgment to make.

Even though someone on this board says something provocative about religion I will defend their right to say it. Screw those who would silence them.
[/quot

Nobody is trying to silence anything, except name calling on every side.  Can we get back to the Beach Boys now?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:33:17 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »

So uh.... yeah. Dennis, anyone?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

As a religious person myself I hate it when people who think they are rational, non-believers love to knock people who quietly practice their faith and don't look to bother or brainwash others.  Each to their own I say but respect others who might have a different point of view from your own.  Yet so many times I have to listen to people saying those who believe in God are brainwashed or idiots.  The irony is that the people who say it are vociferous in trying to convince others that their views are the only views one should hold.  And how anyone can claim that Atheists react to imminent death with more dignity than believers is beyond belief.  I've generally found that most people react similarly.  Is it not, after all, human nature for us to fear the unknown, or for our survival instincts to kick in, believer or not?  Maybe rather than fearing death some people don't want to leave their loved ones behind not because they suddenly think their is no life after death.

I really wish this stuff didn't need to be discussed on a Beach Boys post.

Excellent post. Pretty much says it all. Back to the Beach Boys now, please...

Yeah, some good points but... I'm not trying to convince anyone that my point is the only one anyone should hold, merely clearly and calmly stating my side of the argument.

I think people are free to hold whatever beliefs they want, however if you are going to hold such beliefs then also people should be allowed to hold alternate beliefs and should be allowed to say they do without being told they'll be spending an eternity in hell or whatever... Keep it to yourself: ok fine. Try to force your beliefs on others: ok also fine - but expect to hear opposing points of view, and don't be offended to hear them.

Of course it is scary to face the unknown, but that exactly proves my point: it is unknown. There is only scientific fact and evidence to go on, which very strongly points towards evolution and to humans simply being another stage of evolution, whatever our somewhat bloated sense of self-importance might tell us otherwise.... When your brain stops functioning, you die. Same as wasps, gorillas and slugs.

Those who express that, say, gays or whoever aren't approved by 'God' are absolutely unjustified in stating such opinions, and yet they do anyway and with much certainty. If these people weren't so vocal and destructive I'd have no problem with religion at all, however they are very prominent and they cause much destruction throughout the world...

I'm not suggesting any posters on here hold such views, merely stating why I personally have issues with religion as a whole.

And also, you know, life is short, the world is an unbelievably beautiful place, we're all so, so lucky to be here (do you have any idea how many sperm didn't make it). So don't spend whatever time you have filling your head with fairy tales... Embrace nature and science and enjoy what little time you have!! This is it! No, really, it is! So have fun!! And listen to great music!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:47:12 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:58:02 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »

Wish I wasn't a complete atheist, as it'd be nice to think of Dennis looking down finally seeing his music getting the recognition it always deserved. Alas, this isn't the case. It's all just a very, very sad and tragic story. Still, we do have his incredible music...

I really think he is.

Very shortly before Carl died, I had a dream that he came to visit my sister and myself in my carport, where we were making some kind of recordings. Carl seemed very tired and worn out ... he gave us some help with the recording, and I think I asked him to stay ... but he said he couldn't because he was tired and had to go.

I sincerely believe that Carl and Dennis were present at the show I attended in Berkeley last year. I believe they had a special connection with their fans, and their energy is very much still present.

If I was aware someone I admired had cancer, then I dreamt that they appeared to me  looking tired and worn out just prior to their death, I wouldn't attribute any supernatural meaning to it. For years I had a recurring dream Brian finished Smile. Does this mean I was predicting the future?

And anyway, why would Carl "astral project" to someone he didn't know?

Sorry Donny, but this makes no sense.

And that special connection and presence you felt at the concert, couldn't that just be the excitement and magnitude of the event, tied in with the fact they flashed up huge video screens of Carl and Dennis?

I'm afraid you may be oversimplifying my meaning.

I'm not saying Carl and I were buddies and he knew who I was and came over and paid me a visit. I'm saying that "people are spirit" (to quote Carl) ... people have energy and other people can pick up on that.

Personally, I have astral projected and communicated with others who astral project (my father and sister have as as well), so nothing some dude posts on a message board is going to convince me that it isn't real. But that's a whole other topic. Astral projection is something I'm a little afraid of, and every time I've done it, it was not intentional. And it is not specifically any kind of spiritual or religious believe .... in fact it could be considered a form of physic communication with another person. Haven't you ever had the same dream as another person? I sure have.

When you had the dreams that Brian was finishing Smile, I would say it could be that you were picking up the energy of the people involved in putting in together. The wheels were spinning.

No, it was just dreams. That's it.

You know how when you see a cat dreaming it's just a cat dreaming... Well, the same applies to us self-important humans.

Unless you're suggesting my cat Rory - when he's lying kicking his legs and so on - is actually experiencing astral projections and communications with others?  Because if he isn't, then why are you...?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »

delete
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:58:13 AM by DonnyL » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »

What's the one thing worse than a Mormon and an evangelical Christian?

An evangelical atheist.

Bad-um tishsssssssssss.

*crickets*
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

My naughty side came out to play earlier. But I know you all still love me.   angel
Paulos
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »

What the hell happened to this thread? This needs to go into the Sandbox.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

Ok I for one will agree to drop the topic of religion as of now. Let's get back onto Dennis....
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

Does anyone know any more about Bill Oster, whose boat Dennis was on, or who else was with him that fateful day?  I don't think anyone has really spoken since then about it.  Also, I've tried tried to find out what happened to the "Harmony".  I always thought if I got rich I would have loved to have bought that and had it restored like Dennis was talking about doing before he died.  Can anyone shed any light on it's last know whereabouts?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2013, 02:03:20 AM »

The whereabouts of the harmony comes up now and then but we have never had a sighting or any info. One possibility is a name change. Not uncommon in boating.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 06:39:14 AM »

Does anyone know any more about Bill Oster, whose boat Dennis was on, or who else was with him that fateful day?  I don't think anyone has really spoken since then about it.  Also, I've tried tried to find out what happened to the "Harmony".  I always thought if I got rich I would have loved to have bought that and had it restored like Dennis was talking about doing before he died.  Can anyone shed any light on it's last know whereabouts?

Here's the thread the last time it was discussed:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9606.0.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »

Here's the thread the last time it was discussed:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9606.0.html

I hadn't looked at that page again but it looks like the Emerald has been restored.

http://www.challengesfoundation.org/History_K6WP.html

I know the boat makes a few here uncomfortable but I still think Dennis would be for it 100% and its being used for a worthy cause.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »

I hadn't looked at that page again but it looks like the Emerald has been restored.

http://www.challengesfoundation.org/History_K6WP.html

I know the boat makes a few here uncomfortable but I still think Dennis would be for it 100% and its being used for a worthy cause.

Hmmm.... Ya know, after all this time, I still don't really get the uncomfortable part. I get that he was on there his last day, but that has nothing ( in my mind) to do with that. It could have been anywhere/anytime around then. 

I'll say it again, expanding n what I said then; Dennis isn't the slip, he's not the boat; he's not they man who left us that day. to me he's none of those.
Dennis is his music. While I'm sad he didn't go on, I'm happy that I can revel in the sounds he left us to cherish and enjoy

Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

It seems to me that atheists have a problem with either {a} literal belief in religious mythology (esp. Judeo-Christian narratives as interpreted by the simple faith of unlettered proles), or {b} the irreligion of fanatical sectarian bigots, though many atheists are as intolerant, ignorant, and dogmatic as the people they criticize.

Indian philosophy, like that studied by Mike Love, makes a distinction between the impersonal Absolute Truth and the masks of God that allow for an imaginative personal relationship to an abstract ideal. In this way of inquiry, doubt and skepticism is encouraged, and belief is no substitute for Knowledge. Among the six schools of Hinduism, there is the path of logic, including inductive syllogisms and analogy, and also the path of reductionist empiricism, that is: a hypotheses tested against observations in the Natural world (which is the foundation of the modern scientific revolution in the West and Kepler's method).

Dennis Wilson sang on POB, "I know a carpenter who had a dream...killed the man, but you couldn't kill the dream...who said it was easy? PEOPLE GOTTA BE FREE." And, that's the goal of mature religion: FREEDOM.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:01:16 PM by Prabhuji » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »

Why don't we make a thread in the sandbox. I'll take you on down in a debate gladly  Smiley
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »

Oh, yes, please.

Let's argue about religion!

That would be fresh and interesting.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »

The whereabouts of the harmony comes up now and then but we have never had a sighting or any info. One possibility is a name change. Not uncommon in boating.

Last rumored sighting was in the Pacific North West, circa 1985/86. Since then, nothing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »

Why don't we make a thread in the sandbox. I'll take you on down in a debate gladly  Smiley

No debate. If you want to share in my perspective, then I am happy to converse as a doctorate of religions and as a Yogi, but I am not open to quarreling. Over and out.

"I am That/Thou are That/All This is That"

Tat Tvam Asi - "That Art Thou"
Chandogya Upanishad
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »

Prabhuji, That is cool you are a yogi! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »

Prabhuji, That is cool you are a yogi! Cool

A yogi bear most likely

Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »