gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:25:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Days of Dennis Wilson  (Read 27420 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »

I thought of Dennis Wilson today and something does not add up.  Why did Dennis Drown?    He had a boat and a yacht so one day he decides to jump from a friends boat to get lost items he had dumped into the ocean then after lunch he goes back down in the ocean then drowns.  To me that does not add up!

I had a fast Life
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »

The man had been drinking.   Perhaps you should look up the effects of alcohol in the body?  Maybe then it will add up?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »

Read "Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy" by Jon Stebbins. Or "Dumb Angel - The Life and Music of Dennis Wilson" by Adam Webb. There are also other books on the Beach Boys that will give you answers to your questions.

Que Jon - are you shooting to get the "Real Beach Boy" update out this year or maybe next?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

He had a lot to drink and apparently ended up banging his head on the boat on his way up. Adds up just well to me.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »

Accidental death happens.

Booze increases the odds especially when you are diving in the ocean.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

Read "Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy" by Jon Stebbins. Or "Dumb Angel - The Life and Music of Dennis Wilson" by Adam Webb. There are also other books on the Beach Boys that will give you answers to your questions.

Que Jon - are you shooting to get the "Real Beach Boy" update out this year or maybe next?
Later this year is the plan. Thanks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »

Christmas 1983, DW was in a bad, bad, bad place, literally bouncing off the bottom: no money, no home, no band, in real bad shape and self-medicating enough to kill five normal people. There are those, and I'm amongst them, who believe that down there on 12/28/83, he finally decided to let go. Maybe not consciously, but I think he did. The pain, physical and psychic, had to end somehow.

When it's out, get Jon's book.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:19:34 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:48 AM »

What chokes me up every time I think of it is the description of how he was found curled up in the foetal position as if asleep peacefully. Very unlike most drownings. As if he realised what was happening and gave himself up to it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 01:01:19 AM »

That's the part that gets me, too. I find it so sad to think that by 1983 Dennis was a "lost cause". Did he really not believe in himself enough to attempt a serious rehab? What if extreme measures were taken, and he was taken to a psych ward and held involuntarily?

Had Dennis been fired "for good" by then? Or would he have been allowed to participate in the upcoming 1984 tour?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 01:58:55 AM »

Christmas 1983, DW was in a bad, bad, bad place, literally bouncing off the bottom: no money, no home, no band, in real bad shape and self-medicating enough to kill five normal people. There are those, and I'm amongst them, who believe that down there on 12/28/83, he finally decided to let go. Maybe not consciously, but I think he did. The pain, physical and psychic, had to end somehow.

When it's out, get Jon's book.

Read this, then listen to WIBNTLA. I challenge anyone not to get teary.
MBE
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:41:07 AM »

Hal Blaine was there at the marina that day and the new In Concert book mentions how he heard a report that Dennis hit his head on a concrete float. Of course Dennis could have just made a quick decision that he had no more fight left.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:42:02 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:47:27 AM »

The reported body position - curled up on the marina floor - tends to argue against that: unconscious people don't curl themselves up. I think he just opted for some peace. God knows he deserved it.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:11 AM »

I find it hard to think about.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:00:19 AM »

The reported body position - curled up on the marina floor - tends to argue against that: unconscious people don't curl themselves up. I think he just opted for some peace. God knows he deserved it.

Good point, it is an odd position.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:50 AM »

Here's something else to consider - from childhood, Dennis had substantial sleeping problems: during his last night on Emerald Crystal McGovern reported that he tried to sleep but couldn't. Possibly... he just saw a way to get a good, long rest.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »

Wish I wasn't a complete atheist, as it'd be nice to think of Dennis looking down finally seeing his music getting the recognition it always deserved. Alas, this isn't the case. It's all just a very, very sad and tragic story. Still, we do have his incredible music...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »

Wish I wasn't a complete atheist, as it'd be nice to think of Dennis looking down finally seeing his music getting the recognition it always deserved.

I don't see a contradiction there. There could be souls even if there was no god.

I too wish Dennis would have been saved from destroying himself, foetal position or not.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 05:35:32 AM »

Wish I wasn't a complete atheist, as it'd be nice to think of Dennis looking down finally seeing his music getting the recognition it always deserved.

I don't see a contradiction there. There could be souls even if there was no god.

I too wish Dennis would have been saved from destroying himself, foetal position or not.

True, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a particular deity. It does seem to have become the blanket term for people who don't believe in any supernatural forces.

I prefer the terms 'clued up', 'sensible' or 'non-idiot'.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:13 AM »

The theory that he banged his head is tenuous at best. Yes he had contusions on his head, but he'd been in a horrible fist fight the day before...so he had contusions all over. No definite conclusion was reached regarding that head bump, its just a theory..as is hypothermia, as is loss of will to live. Take your pick. Drowning is the only official cause.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »

True, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a particular deity. It does seem to have become the blanket term for people who don't believe in any supernatural forces.

Ok, I'll rephrase my original post:

Wish I wasn't so clued-up, sensible and clever, as it'd be nice to think of Dennis looking down finally seeing his music getting the recognition it always deserved. Alas, this isn't the case. It's all just a very, very sad and tragic story. Still, we do have his incredible music...
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 08:01:38 AM »

At Brian's sound check here in Pittsburgh Al made the comment that Dennis was "with us here". I believe that was true. He was there with Carl watching their brother Brian and friends David and Al. Some believe in the after life and others don't. Believe what you will. It was a very sincere comment made by Al.

I still wonder why Carl or anyone else for that matter didn't step in to 'save' Dennis. They had to have known what was going on. How many times did they forgive him and take him back? Probably many times.  I know they couldn't force him to be institutionalized unless he was a threat to himself or others. Being addicted doesn't get you into rehab unless there is some sort of threat. I'm sure they loved Dennis but there was only so much they could do. I agree with Howard Jones: No one is to blame.

Those that know an addicted friend or family member know how hard it is in getting that person to stop. Sometimes being a good friend or brother isn't enough. It's a good start, though. I'm sure they were there for him. Then there is the 'tough love' approuch where you have to tell that preson 'no'. No more money if it's going to go for drugs and booze. Sad situation for all.

I still remember reading the Rolling Stone magazine review for Pacific Ocean Blue. Great review. I think thats how I found out about the album. Went out and bought it soon after. Still one of my favorites. Does anyone know if that review is available on line? Does anyone know the month and year from Rolling Stone magazine? It would be nice to read that again.

I'm glad the surviving Beach Boys all signed off on the release of Dennis's songs on MiC. Those songs alone make the set worth purchasing.

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »

Surprised not to see anyone mention the BBC4 documentary we did on Dennis  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBfaGPD0mI  I remain proud of the job we all did on it.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:22 AM »

I have it recorded Ed. Fantastic documentary. I've watched it several times.  I judge a Beach Boys doc by how much a seasoned old pro like me learns from it, and there was a lot of new information and point of view on it. Great job Ed, thanks!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »

OT: I think you can be atheist or not believe in supernatural forces and still be an idiot. I know all of those designations can be applied to me, frequently. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »

Hi, Ed! Fantastic documentary on Dennis!  It always brings a smile and a tear. Had to download it from the Japan YouTube site or someplace. I would glady purchase it here in U.S. Any chance for a DVD release?

David Marks did a great job as did everyone else who was interviewed. You all made Dennis proud I'm sure. As sad as the ending is I like to remember Dennis as living life to the fullest. He enjoyed himself for the most part don't you think?

I think 'Rainbows' is my favorite POB track. Happier times I think.

Dennis Wilson The Real Beach Boy is essential viewing for a Beach Boy fan. Well done! Let's get that DVD release!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx