gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:54:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Love Lives On ...  (Read 7133 times)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »

You got me, Mr Gas, i wasn't very clear there. It all makes sense to me, but I can see why it didn't to you!

What I meant was, if you put all of Dennis's stuff on a spectrum from quiet, piano-led ballads to full-on rockouts, you'll always find my preferences up at the end with the quieter, melodic stuff (Barbara, Baby Blue, Cuddle Up etc). Therefore, it's not surprising that I like MLLO more than WIBNTLA. On top of that general preference, I have found that broadly speaking, I liked Dennis's stuff less as it (and he) got more drug-fuelled and booze-soaked and his voice got worse. Wild Situation, Under The Moonlight and Time For Bed just don't do it for me like Celebrate The News, Slip On Through, or (now) WIBNTLA. They all have rocky elements, but I don't just consign them to a bin in my head marked 'Dennis's Rocking Tracks - ignore'. I have preferences within that category.

If I stop to think about it, the voice is a big issue for me with Dennis. One of the things that attracted me to the Beach Boys when I was five was the purity of the vocals, and so unsurprisingly, I like Brian on You've Touched Me, Orange Crate Art or Stevie waaaay less than I like him on She Knows Me Too Well or Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder). Similarly, although It's Not Too Late and Barbara are piano-led compositions, Dennis's damaged voice on the former moves it way down in my estimations compared to the latter. But for some reason, I prefer damaged Brian to damaged Dennis (although my preference would always be to listen to both of them before 1975). Dennis's voice in his later years REALLY turns me off. As it got worse, it acquired a quality that sounds to me like the keening of a lurching, injured walrus. Some find this soulful, or liken it to Dylan, and I don't seek to denigrate their opinions, but it just doesn't work for me at all (I've never been into Dylan either). No amount of people testifying how creative DW was in his final years can get me to warm to 'the staggering Walrus'. Even on DW tracks that a lot of Beach Boys fans rate, like River Song, I'm put off by the voice the moment Dennis begins singing. Perhaps as a result, I do find myself more interested in his instrumentals, whether these are tracks that were designed as such or just stuff he never got around to recording vocals for. Listening to the music and production, in the absence of the late-period vocals I find so off-putting, he was clearly a super-creative guy. And I can sense the compelling nature of and power in something like Holy Man. But paradoxically, I might like it less if Dennis had ever put a finished vocal on it...!

Finally, I don't know if you could say I have a 'favourite period' of Dennis's stuff — that puts it way stronger than I can feel comfortable with. You could say I have a 'preferred' era, I guess, but for the reasons outlined above, I tend not to play any of it very often. If it existed in finished form, and could be released, I would probably play some kind of Poops/Hubba Hubba album way more than I play POB or the Bambu material. But that's just me.

I'm not asking you to agree, as I know my views are not shared by many here on this issue, but does that make any more sense as a coherent opinion?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:43:36 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 04:23:37 AM »

To my ears, it sounds like there could be a bit of 1974 Dennis in there too. Definitely not the late 60's/early 70's soulful Dennis. But also not quite the late 70's gruff voice/lost range Dennis either all the way through. The beginning sounds like it's likely 74 Dennis, joined fairly quickly by 77 Dennis.

Either way, great tune, great opening piano riff....pure Dennis. I do like WIBNTLA more though, but this is a gem too.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »

I'm in agreement with those who prefer it to WIBNTLA. This track is much better IMO.
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »

Now this is a treasure. We expected greatness from WIBNTLA. But here comes this tune ... so incredibly simple, yet powerful. The first 30 seconds are about the most emotionally affecting music I've heard from the group. Just astonishing.

Perhaps the rest of the song doesn't live up to that opening, but still ... I've no words. The box is, interestingly enough, almost a follow-up to Dennis's POB/Bambu reissue. It shows how important he was to the band in the late 60s and 70s, and just how much magnificent music he contributed. Between WIBNTLA, Barnyard Blues, Mona Kani and this ... amazing. What depths to this band and these guys.

Funnily enough, it feels like we've about reach saturation point with Brian's stuff. As interesting as "Why" and "Where is She" might be, they're really just sketches. The lost masterpieces of BW's career are mostly issued (with the exception of a few Adult Child tracks and stuff from his solo career). But it also feels like we're just getting started with Dennis.

Very well put.
This song has completely knocked me out. Ive listened to the box through once now and this is the real standout. I dont think ive ever been so moved by a song on first hearing.
I was walking as i was listening to it and it stopped me in my tracks, honestly.
Dennis just nails it, whatever "it" is. I didnt know it was possible to love Dennis any more. A truly stunning song and performance.
God bless Dennis Wilson.

I wonder how many other little gems are still in the vaults...?
As mentioned before, MiC is another big addition towards showing the real greatness of Dennis.
Nicko1234
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »

There is a lot of power to this song. Another fine example of his songwriting ability.

Listening to Dennis's voice is tough though as he had destroyed it to such an extent by this point.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

There is a lot of power to this song. Another fine example of his songwriting ability.

Listening to Dennis's voice is tough though as he had destroyed it to such an extent by this point.

So funny. I find his voice one of the most compelling things about the recording.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »

This is such a beautiful piece. Beautiful piano playing too. It's just... he's SO good, isn't he!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

I will second the opinion that I like My Love Lives On even more than Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »

I agree with the OP, incredible first minute or so, meanders a bit after that, great song for a movie soundtrack!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »

It seems to be the sleeper song on the set. Slightly underwhelming on first listen but it just gets better and better with repeated hearings.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:59:01 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »

To my ears, it sounds like there could be a bit of 1974 Dennis in there too. Definitely not the late 60's/early 70's soulful Dennis. But also not quite the late 70's gruff voice/lost range Dennis either all the way through. The beginning sounds like it's likely 74 Dennis, joined fairly quickly by 77 Dennis.

Either way, great tune, great opening piano riff....pure Dennis. I do like WIBNTLA more though, but this is a gem too.

Ya' know...this one really has me stumped, and I'm almost willing to reverse my original guess and say that this vocal *might* indeed possibly be from 1974 as well. Maybe even entirely so. The vocal at the the 1:46 mark of Barnyard Blues sounds just as "fractured, broken and charred" to me, and he does seem to have a *hint* of a different quality here than a few years later, so perhaps it's not a simple case of a straight line downward, deterioration-wise? Then again, if it is entirely (or partially) '77, I wouldn't be surprised at all either.

I honestly have no idea at this point, and I'm really looking forward to what C-Man might come up with. The powers-that-be seem to still be repeating the party line that it's a 1974 recording  -- despite those noted and additional '73 and '77 session dates -- so who knows?

Really is a beautiful demo though. Sounds like an utterly natural bookend.
Jason
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »

Hopefully more of those piano/vocal Dennis tracks will find a release one day...
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

Some of the unbooted stuff on Disc 6 was really great and then Track 26 came on and blew me away!!!  Like Daniel posted earlier, it is probably the most moved I have ever been listening to a song for the first time.  The voice is so expressive and the piano in the background,  almost like a hymn.  Very direct lyrics, very Dennis.  I grabbed the Ipad and had to post to Facebook about how great the group are and how much of a genius Dennis was!  Thank you Dennis for leaving some wonderful treasures in the vaults for us to enjoy long after you were gone. Smiley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 09:08:27 AM »

The Professor agrees, and they are both gold. In fact all the new material I have never heard before (both the light and the heavy) are playing endlessly in my head; what a gift, brand new BB music for the soul. Well, it's new to me, as I am not a bootleg master as some of you are. The religious aspects od MLLO noted by some are very strong, as Dennis seems to be able to channel so many different genres, including a very high Protestant, churchly, if you will, sonic grandeur .

I will second the opinion that I like My Love Lives On even more than Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx