gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:26:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Love Lives On ...  (Read 7132 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »

Now this is a treasure. We expected greatness from WIBNTLA. But here comes this tune ... so incredibly simple, yet powerful. The first 30 seconds are about the most emotionally affecting music I've heard from the group. Just astonishing.

Perhaps the rest of the song doesn't live up to that opening, but still ... I've no words. The box is, interestingly enough, almost a follow-up to Dennis's POB/Bambu reissue. It shows how important he was to the band in the late 60s and 70s, and just how much magnificent music he contributed. Between WIBNTLA, Barnyard Blues, Mona Kani and this ... amazing. What depths to this band and these guys.

Funnily enough, it feels like we've about reach saturation point with Brian's stuff. As interesting as "Why" and "Where is She" might be, they're really just sketches. The lost masterpieces of BW's career are mostly issued (with the exception of a few Adult Child tracks and stuff from his solo career). But it also feels like we're just getting started with Dennis.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

When asked about this new box set I referred to it as "Dennis's coming out party" and that's not an exaggeration. I agree about "My Love Lives On". Had he worked a little more on it, this could've been another "Forever".

BTW: "Could've Been Another Forever" is a song title waiting to happen.  Cheesy
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »

Amazing song. Tears came from the first listen!

We really need a ''Poops/Hubba Bubba''/before POC era compilation of Dennis' work!!
MBE
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

It sounds like an early form of the POB era. Kind of like he is developing that sound. Of course I'm not talking post 1980, but I think Dennis adjusted to the 1974 voice change better than Brian. Here he sounds like he could have still salvaged his throat had he listened to the doctor and not used his voice for a while.  The 1974 tracks are interesting for Brian and Dennis vocally. Had they stopped smoking, drinking, and snorting at that point maybe they could have recovered?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »

When asked about this new box set I referred to it as "Dennis's coming out party" and that's not an exaggeration. I agree about "My Love Lives On". Had he worked a little more on it, this could've been another "Forever".

Indeed. He gets the last word, too, before the BBC tracks start up. He just so clearly emerges as a dominant player in the band's creative evolution -- and I'm glad the powers that be finally allowed that case to be made so powerfully.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »

Yup.  This is the one that perked my ears up.  When they do his movie (someday), this'll be the closer.
Nicko1234
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »

Indeed. He gets the last word, too, before the BBC tracks start up. He just so clearly emerges as a dominant player in the band's creative evolution -- and I'm glad the powers that be finally allowed that case to be made so powerfully.

To be fair, Dennis has always been well represented on rarities comps and the previous box set. Just not as well as this.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »

To be fair, Dennis has always been well represented on rarities comps and the previous box set. Just not as well as this.

He only had five tracks on Good Vibrations - I don't think that was anything like enough representation. One of the main - arguably the only - failing of the previous box.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:40:26 AM »

Yeah Dennis really has been screwed until now considering the quality of his work. The Brother Years,  Good Vibes box, Ten Years Of Harmony, all really didn't do enough. On the other hand, the UK box set Peter Reum did back in 1980 The Capitol Years was good about Dennis. Made In California is a major right step in seeing his art within the evolving framework of the group.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »

I think I like this song more than WINTLA, if I'm honest.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »

He only had five tracks on Good Vibrations - I don't think that was anything like enough representation. One of the main - arguably the only - failing of the previous box.

And even then, Carl had to push for what Dennis material did appear ...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

And even then, Carl had to push for what Dennis material did appear ...

In one of the other threads there's a link to an article claiming this time it was actually Mike who did so.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »

I doubt Mike fought exactly for more Dennis material. I guess he gave a hint that it would be a good idea to open the vaults and scrape the barrel.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »

It sounds like an early form of the POB era. Kind of like he is developing that sound. Of course I'm not talking post 1980, but I think Dennis adjusted to the 1974 voice change better than Brian. Here he sounds like he could have still salvaged his throat had he listened to the doctor and not used his voice for a while.  The 1974 tracks are interesting for Brian and Dennis vocally. Had they stopped smoking, drinking, and snorting at that point maybe they could have recovered?

I posted this in the other thread, but anyone know for certain that the vocal was indeed recorded in '74? That is, even though the '74 date of the initial session is listed in the credits, the track was also worked on in Oct. of '77, and it almost sounds to my ears like it's from that later date (i.e. the live audience vocals I have from Dennis in '74'75, and even the studio '76 vocals like Sea Cruise, seem a bit less "fractured"  than here). In fact, I thought someone else did note that the vocal was from '77.

Anyone confirm? Either way? Smiley

TIA,
Dave
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

I posted this in the other thread, but anyone know for certain that the vocal was indeed recorded in '74? That is, even though the '74 date of the initial session is listed in the credits, the track was also worked on in Oct. of '77, and it almost sounds to my ears like it's from that later date (i.e. the live audience vocals I have from Dennis in '74'75, and even the studio '76 vocals like Sea Cruise, seem a bit less "fractured"  than here). In fact, I thought someone else did note that the vocal was from '77.

TIA,
Dave
My ears definitely say '77.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »

This track is listed as having had a session devoted to it in '77, according to AGD's website, so it's quite possible the lead vocal was recorded then.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

This track is listed as having had a session devoted to it in '77, according to AGD's website,

Right. As I noted earlier...Oct. of '77.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »

It sounds like an early form of the POB era. Kind of like he is developing that sound. Of course I'm not talking post 1980, but I think Dennis adjusted to the 1974 voice change better than Brian. Here he sounds like he could have still salvaged his throat had he listened to the doctor and not used his voice for a while.  The 1974 tracks are interesting for Brian and Dennis vocally. Had they stopped smoking, drinking, and snorting at that point maybe they could have recovered?

I posted this in the other thread, but anyone know for certain that the vocal was indeed recorded in '74? That is, even though the '74 date of the initial session is listed in the credits, the track was also worked on in Oct. of '77, and it almost sounds to my ears like it's from that later date (i.e. the live audience vocals I have from Dennis in '74'75, and even the studio '76 vocals like Sea Cruise, seem a bit less "fractured"  than here). In fact, I thought someone else did note that the vocal was from '77.

TIA,
Dave
My ears definitely say '77.

Yeah, it just really has that Bambu era vocal quality to it.

I think this is actually one my small pet peeves with the set; I thought that we might be getting a more detailed sessionography with either roughed-in or exact dates where they exist. In the cases where a track was worked on or attempted over time, this would've been a godsend for the history and date buffs. Though, I also have to wonder, considering that some of the tracks were patched together, or involved various fly-ins (and, in the case of You're Still A Mystery...possibly even re-records), maybe the powers-that-be wanted to keep things, purposely, a little on the general/vague side? Single dates and such.

In the case of MLLO, that initial '74 date (which was actually August of '74) trumping the Oct. '77 date.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:38:21 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

Gigs & sessions 1973
Gigs & sessions 1974
Gigs & sessions 1977
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:21:45 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »

Any info (or guesses) as to when the vocal was done? I'm still going to bet the farm on the '77 date.

And I really don't want to lose the farm.
MBE
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

Well he does sound better on Barnyard Blues. Because of that I go for 1977 too.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »

I also think the vocs are late 70s. Dennis sounds too damaged for 1973-4. As for comparing 2 songs, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, vocally, WIBNTLA is much stronger, as well as it has marvelous coda & cool guitar solo. On the other hand, MLLO is better melody-wise, very soothing & simplistic in a good way. So I think I like both songs equally for different reasons. That said, there's a song I like more than the aforementioned & that is "Barnyard Blues". As a fan of joyful & optimistic songs, I can definitively say that it's one of the best songs written by Dennis. Though I don't see much similarity with Brian's Barnyard, except for animal noises. And even that is questionable, since in Barnyard were featured mostly goat sounds, not hen or chicken.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »

I definitely prefer My Love Lives On over WIBNTLA. But then, I do and always have preferred melodic, quiet Dennis to rocky, raunchy, drugged-out Dennis. That's just me.

Saying that, I like WIBNTLA a lot more than I thought I would (apart from the — to my ears — self-indulgent widdly-widdly coda, which I'm fading out for my version of the track), and there's no denying that he did a hell of a great vocal on it — he sure could still sing back then. Perhaps I just prefer late 60s-early 70s Dennis to post-75 Dennis. And I'll always make exceptions to that for the likes of Baby Blue and Morning Christmas, and a few select POB/Bambu bits and pieces...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »

That song got my attention on first listen, wouldn't rare it like WIBNTLA but it's very beautiful.

Dennis had a knack for crafting perfect piano ballads, man he had soul

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »

I definitely prefer My Love Lives On over WIBNTLA. But then, I do and always have preferred melodic, quiet Dennis to rocky, raunchy, drugged-out Dennis. That's just me.

Saying that, I like WIBNTLA a lot more than I thought I would (apart from the — to my ears — self-indulgent widdly-widdly coda, which I'm fading out for my version of the track), and there's no denying that he did a hell of a great vocal on it — he sure could still sing back then. Perhaps I just prefer late 60s-early 70s Dennis to post-75 Dennis. And I'll always make exceptions to that for the likes of Baby Blue and Morning Christmas, and a few select POB/Bambu bits and pieces...

Somehow I must be missing your point here. You're sayinig WIBNTLA is "rocky raundhy drugged out" ?   and I was under the impression that WIBNTLA is 70-71 which fits smack in the middle of your favorite period.  Or am I mis-interpreting your words? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx