gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:18:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: Longevity Rules  (Read 2758 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »

Good piece, with lots of input from the powers-that-be, as well as some other comments that I'm sure will draw interest. Smiley

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/08/the-beach-boys-longevity-rules/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:07:35 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »

Good find Dave and some very interesting stuff, especially concerning Mikes input into the boxed set although I'm sure the Mike haters will find some way to vilify him.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »

Good find Dave and some very interesting stuff, especially concerning Mikes input into the boxed set although I'm sure the Mike haters will find some way to vilify him.

I'm really intrigued by those unreleased, "slightly post-Friends era" tracks that they speak of. Looking at all previous reference sources, I'm drawing a blank as to what exactly those might be?
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »

I'm really intrigued by those unreleased, "slightly post-Friends era" tracks that they speak of. Looking at all previous reference sources, I'm drawing a blank as to what exactly those might be?

I have no idea, does he mean tracks that are still in the vault or were in the vault? Tracks that fit into the timeline include Walk On By, Ol' Man River and Sail Plane Song.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »

I have no idea, does he mean tracks that are still in the vault or were in the vault? Tracks that fit into the timeline include Walk On By, Ol' Man River and Sail Plane Song.

Could be. But, being that those tracks have already been done-to-death, I was under the impression that he meant something that we haven't heard before. That is, something that would make a noted deluxe edition truly special.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »

Nice to hear that about Mike. Does anyone know what his specific role was in terms of the box set's creation?

I'd absolutely LOVE to hear the post-Friends material. Now this is an album that's truly unique and to hear more material that sounds like that would be a treat to say the least.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

He didn't say post-Friends, I think he just meant some stuff wasn't quite finished and thus didn't make the album or later albums. Also, keep in mind that with just about every archival release of the last several years, there's almost always been something that pops up that we didn't really know existed prior or at least had never seen the title of.

Just sayin' - just because we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not there.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

Thanks for the link. Some interesting stuff there, particularly this little bit:

In addition, Mark Linett still hopes to complete a stereo version of 1967′s Wild Honey, although technological challenges stand in the way such as missing multitracks for “Mama Says,” in particular, that have yet to be located.

Is that the only *important* tape missing? Why not do one of those "extraction" stereo mixes or just keep that track in mono? I don't think anyone is expecting Mama Says to be some kind of epic stereophonic wonder anyway...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

Thanks for the link. Some interesting stuff there, particularly this little bit:

In addition, Mark Linett still hopes to complete a stereo version of 1967′s Wild Honey, although technological challenges stand in the way such as missing multitracks for “Mama Says,” in particular, that have yet to be located.

Is that the only *important* tape missing? Why not do one of those "extraction" stereo mixes or just keep that track in mono? I don't think anyone is expecting Mama Says to be some kind of epic stereophonic wonder anyway...
This one might be missing, but weren't some other songs taped, erased, and taped over? If so, there would be nothing to find. Those songs would have to be stereo extractions, at best.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:09:03 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

Quote from: runnersdialzero link=topic=16243.msg395956#msg395956

He didn't say post-Friends, I think he just meant some stuff wasn't quite finished and thus didn't make the album or later albums.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. A better term from me would've been "Friends-era tracks that weren't finished -- for whatever reason -- at the time of the album's release."

I'd still love to know what they could possibly be. It's always a thrill for me to find out about seemingly undocumented-to-the-masses stuff (assuming that's what they actually are).
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

He didn't say post-Friends, I think he just meant some stuff wasn't quite finished and thus didn't make the album or later albums.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. A better term from me would've been "Friends-era tracks that weren't finished -- for whatever reason -- at the time of the album's release."

I'd still love to know what they could possibly be. It's always a thrill for me to find out about seemingly undocumented-to-the-masses stuff (assuming that's what they actually are).

A quick glance at C-man and AGD's work, as listed on Bellagio, shows the following unreleased tracks from the Friends sessions:

"Untitled #1";

"You're As Cool As You Can Be";

an early version of "All I Wanna Do" [probably "All I Want to Do", i.e., the Dennis and Mike song, not the Mike and Brian one];

"Our Happy Home";

"New Song" [said to be a "Spanish guitar instrumental" often confused for a Smile outtake--has this been booted?]; 
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »

A quick glance at C-man and AGD's work, as listed on Bellagio, shows the following unreleased tracks from the Friends sessions:

"Untitled #1";

"You're As Cool As You Can Be";

an early version of "All I Wanna Do" [probably "All I Want to Do", i.e., the Dennis and Mike song, not the Mike and Brian one];

"Our Happy Home";

"New Song" [said to be a "Spanish guitar instrumental" often confused for a Smile outtake--has this been booted?]; 

Thanks! I glanced at Bellagio, very quickly, after I read the piece, and the only thing my tired, old eyes caught was "Our Happy Home" (of which I'd heard that title previously mentioned before). Those other ones would seem to be the ticket! Maybe something else as well?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »

It's out there.
It sometimes goes by "Indian Wisdom" or "Doves of Peace."
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »

"If you look at their entire career, particularly through the ’60s and ’70s, they did so many kinds of music so well that they actually developed multiple divergent and, at times, completely incompatible fanbases."

That really sums it up doesn't it

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »

"If you look at their entire career, particularly through the ’60s and ’70s, they did so many kinds of music so well that they actually developed multiple divergent and, at times, completely incompatible fanbases."

That really sums it up doesn't it

Absolutely. That struck me as well. I think of Beach Boys fans as being part of a gigantic Venn diagram. There are a lot of circles and a lot of overlap, but also a lot of chances for people to seriously not "get" huge sections of the band's output.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »

Nice to hear that about Mike. Does anyone know what his specific role was in terms of the box set's creation?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 02:13:16 AM »

This one might be missing, but weren't some other songs taped, erased, and taped over? If so, there would be nothing to find. Those songs would have to be stereo extractions, at best.

Someone posted this over at another forum:

They are missing multitracks for Aren't You Glad, I'd Love Just Once to See You, How She Booglaooed It, Mama Says and I Was Made to Love Her, although someone who has heard the tapes said a respectable stereo mix of Glad could be made missing some elements in the final mix.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx