gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:48:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in the 80s  (Read 9653 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »

Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out

and...

Wipe Out!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I've got to admit, I don't blame the Beach Boys for thinking a collaboration with the Fat Boys was a good idea.  I think the one they did with Chubby Checker was actually a lot of fun.  But whoever was at fault was whoever thought it was a good idea to have the group who although had done some surf instrumentals early in their career were pretty much exclusively a vocal group by this point to cover an instrumental like Wipe Out and think the best way to make a vocal arrangement was to have the guys repeat "WIPE OUT WIPE OUT WIPING OUT WAH WAH WAH" over and over and OVER again.  Oh my god, it's just terrible (but still not the biggest trainwreck that came from the guys during the Terry Melcher produced years).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:58:29 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »

Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out

and...

Wipe Out!

I've got to admit, I don't blame the Beach Boys for thinking a collaboration with the Fat Boys was a good idea.  I think the one they did with Chubby Checker was actually a lot of fun.  But whoever was at fault was whoever thought it was a good idea to have the group who although had done some surf instrumentals early in their career were pretty much exclusively a vocal group by this point to cover an instrumental like Wipe Out and think the best way to make an instrumental arrangement was to have the guys repeat "WIPE OUT WIPE OUT WIPING OUT WAH WAH WAH" over and over and OVER again.  Oh my god, it's just terrible (but still not the biggest trainwreck that came from the guys during the Terry Melcher produced years).

Mike's deal, re the Fat Boys - the original plan was to record it with Run DMC. That's what I've read.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »

Somewhere Near Japan
California Dreaming
Chasing the Sky
It's A Beautiful Day
Keeping The Summer Alive
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »

Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out

and...

Wipe Out!

I've got to admit, I don't blame the Beach Boys for thinking a collaboration with the Fat Boys was a good idea.  I think the one they did with Chubby Checker was actually a lot of fun.  But whoever was at fault was whoever thought it was a good idea to have the group who although had done some surf instrumentals early in their career were pretty much exclusively a vocal group by this point to cover an instrumental like Wipe Out and think the best way to make a vocal arrangement was to have the guys repeat "WIPE OUT WIPE OUT WIPING OUT WAH WAH WAH" over and over and OVER again.  Oh my god, it's just terrible (but still not the biggest trainwreck that came from the guys during the Terry Melcher produced years).

What BBs/ Chubby Checker collaboration was that?  I missed that one!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MBE
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »

Ok to compromise Livin' With A Heartache is actually very good in its 45 edit. Perfect length and Steve Desper once told me that Livin' is his favorite Beach Boys recording he ever did.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out

and...

Wipe Out!

What BBs/ Chubby Checker collaboration was that?  I missed that one!

Oh sorry, the wording was a little weird.  I meant the Fat Boys had done a collaboration with Chubby Checker where they re-recorded The Twist together and as weird as that sounds, it kind of worked and it was a pretty big hit, hence why it would make sense that the creatively bankrupt Beach Boys would also want to do a similar sort of collaboration with the Fat Boys.  Hope that clears it up.

EDIT: Correction.  The Fat Boys actually collaborated with the Beach Boys first.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:52:14 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »

Probably because he seems to have fond memories of recording Carl's mellow vocal...mellowed after a beer or two.

I still haven't heard the single edit of Livin'....wonder if it is on Youtube.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
MBE
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »

It is mixed to have a sharper intro, and some of the endless repetitions of the chorus are cut out.

Seems that yes it was a enjoyable session.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 04:20:30 AM »

1. WHERE I BELONG (By far their greatest song of the '80's!)

2. It's Gettin' Late
3. I Do Love You
4. Livin' With A Heartache
5. Male Ego
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 04:59:17 AM »

Group material only:

Santa Ana Winds
Somewhere Near Japan
Where I Belong
It's Gettin' Late
KTSA (or She Believes in Love Again)

If you're including solo stuff:
Rio Grande
Melt Away
Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight
Santa Ana Winds
Love and Mercy

Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »

I doubt they were thinking about critical acclaim with this one.

They wanted a hit and they got one. A big one at that.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »

I was listening to Still Cruisin' earlier today and I have to say I really like the way Milke, Alan and Carl's voices sound on that album, despite some of the singing being buried in not the most tasteful of sound effects. Personally I think they still had it in them to produce another Sunflower sometime in the 1980s. They got pretty close with some of the very best material on BB85 but sadly it's not one of their best albums overall. I'm pretty sure they could have pulled it off.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »

Where I Belong
It's Gettin' Late
Livin' With a Heartache
Somewhere Near Japan
Goin' On
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »

Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out
Wipe Out

and...

Wipe Out!

I've got to admit, I don't blame the Beach Boys for thinking a collaboration with the Fat Boys was a good idea.  I think the one they did with Chubby Checker was actually a lot of fun.  But whoever was at fault was whoever thought it was a good idea to have the group who although had done some surf instrumentals early in their career were pretty much exclusively a vocal group by this point to cover an instrumental like Wipe Out and think the best way to make an instrumental arrangement was to have the guys repeat "WIPE OUT WIPE OUT WIPING OUT WAH WAH WAH" over and over and OVER again.  Oh my god, it's just terrible (but still not the biggest trainwreck that came from the guys during the Terry Melcher produced years).

Mike's deal, re the Fat Boys - the original plan was to record it with Run DMC. That's what I've read.

Yep, and according to the Wilson Project it was Brian's vocal arrangement (which, whatever you think of the collaberation, I think were some of his best vocal work of the decade)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:57:37 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »

This is really difficult, since I like many songs from the band's 80s era. Anyway, for now it is next:

1. In My Car (one of those songs that you forget every time but when it comes on shuffle you realize that it's jolly good & catchy)
2. Island Girl (since 1st time I heard that intro, I was amazed forever by this contagious song. Well done, Al!)
3. It's Gettin' Late (one of Carl's best composing efforts. The harmonies are splendid!)
4. East Meets West (great song with Frankie Valli among The BBs. I don't mind cheerleading noises)
5. Problem Child

I would name Santa Ana Winds & Sunshine instead the last 2, however, technically, the 1980 year is still 70s.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

RangeRover, you really enjoy using the word "jolly", don't you?  Smiley

Anyway,

Goin' On
Some Of Your Love
Where I Belong
It's Gettin' Late
It's A Beautiful Day - if it counts, otherwise...

...uhm...

...nothing else seems to come to my mind that I would call "good", sadly.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »

I read the thread title "Beach Boys in the 80s" and immediately cringed. First thought that came to mind was "parody of themselves."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »

I read the thread title "Beach Boys in the 80s" and immediately cringed. First thought that came to mind was "parody of themselves."
I'm enlightened!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:13 PM »

My posts frequently have that effect on people.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »

This is really difficult, since I like many songs from the band's 80s era. Anyway, for now it is next:

1. In My Car (one of those songs that you forget every time but when it comes on shuffle you realize that it's jolly good & catchy)
2. Island Girl (since 1st time I heard that intro, I was amazed forever by this contagious song. Well done, Al!)
3. It's Gettin' Late (one of Carl's best composing efforts. The harmonies are splendid!)
4. East Meets West (great song with Frankie Valli among The BBs. I don't mind cheerleading noises)
5. Problem Child

I would name Santa Ana Winds & Sunshine instead the last 2, however, technically, the 1980 year is still 70s.
Problem Child is 1990's, not 1980's
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »

1. Where I Belong
2. Santa Anna Winds
3. Keepin the Summer Alive
4. Male Ego
5. Goin On

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »

5. Problem Child

Problem Child is 1990's, not 1980's
I think RangeRover is counting the decade as going from 1981 to 1990, and thats why Santa Ana Winds wasn't on their list, as it would've been from 1971-1980.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 11:41:26 PM »

Getcha Back
Santa anna winds
Rock n roll to the rescue
Kokomo
endless harmony

This was hard as I like many from the 80's!
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »

I was thinking about this topic and managed to find this thread which covered precisely what I was thinking.  It's an interesting period because there seems to be enough to compile a few standout tracks but not enough that the decisions are particularly agonizing (as they would be in the 60's and 70's).  Unlike the 90's, it's not a complete wasteland and you don't need to rely on solo material.

Personally, a top 5 would probably consist of...

1. Where I Belong
2. Somewhere Near Japan
3. Getcha Back
4. Goin' On
5. It's Gettin' Late

That mirrors very closely with the results of this thread, which I couldn't resist running through.  I think I'm most surprised to see a song like Santa Ana Winds be as popular here as it is.  As much as Kokomo takes heat, I think I'd have it higher.  It actually would have narrowly missed my cut alongside the quirky Male Ego and In My Car.

1. Where I Belong: 65/17
2. Somewhere Near Japan: 56/15
3. Goin' On: 53.5/18
4. Getcha Back: 50/14
5. It's Gettin' Late: 31/11
6. Santa Ana Winds: 28.5/10
7. Keepin' the Summer Alive: 22/10
8. Livin' With a Heartache: 16/6
9. Rock and Roll to the Rescue: 12/4
10. Kokomo: 10/4

California Dreamin': 9/3
In My Car: 8/3