gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680809 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:08:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1964, the Beatles and the Beach Boys  (Read 4654 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »

hey does anyone remember the acapella clip of them singing friends? they were all dressed in white (mike had a hat on I think) and they were sitting around a table.  Does anyone know where that's from?  on the Mike Douglas show before Dennis sings Never Learn Not To Love he mentions an acapella number.  Could it be from that show or somewhere else?

AFAIK, the show on which they sang a portion of "Friends" acapella remains unidentified. I doubt that it was the Douglas show as they wore casual clothes for that performance as opposed to the white suits for "Friends." Perhaps the acapella number referred to was "...Hearts..." as they sang it quite often during 1968.

o ok thanks.  so I wonder what ever happened to "...Hearts..." from that show?  it would be really nice to see it.

Perhaps they just ran out of time as Mike Douglas indicated during his brief interview with the band that the show was in "an awful time bind."

aww  Sad that sucks, at least Mike invited them back to the show more than once.  they have a short clip of them singing Cool Cool Water in high quality, but I wish they would release that and Wouldn't it Be Nice in the same high quality

Another missed opportunity, not unlike their never rescheduled 1965 Ed Sullivan appearance. BTW, the live versions of Cool Cool Water and WIBN are from their David Frost appearance in early 1971.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

hey does anyone remember the acapella clip of them singing friends? they were all dressed in white (mike had a hat on I think) and they were sitting around a table.  Does anyone know where that's from?  on the Mike Douglas show before Dennis sings Never Learn Not To Love he mentions an acapella number.  Could it be from that show or somewhere else?

AFAIK, the show on which they sang a portion of "Friends" acapella remains unidentified. I doubt that it was the Douglas show as they wore casual clothes for that performance as opposed to the white suits for "Friends." Perhaps the acapella number referred to was "...Hearts..." as they sang it quite often during 1968.

o ok thanks.  so I wonder what ever happened to "...Hearts..." from that show?  it would be really nice to see it.

Perhaps they just ran out of time as Mike Douglas indicated during his brief interview with the band that the show was in "an awful time bind."

aww  Sad that sucks, at least Mike invited them back to the show more than once.  they have a short clip of them singing Cool Cool Water in high quality, but I wish they would release that and Wouldn't it Be Nice in the same high quality

Another missed opportunity, not unlike their never rescheduled 1965 Ed Sullivan appearance. BTW, the live versions of Cool Cool Water and WIBN are from their David Frost appearance in early 1971.

Really? the Youtube videos said Mike Douglas.  so they were on David Frost more than once then, that's cool.  too bad the other episode of them on there is lost, but at least we have recordings of it  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »

Really? the Youtube videos said Mike Douglas.  so they were on David Frost more than once then, that's cool.  too bad the other episode of them on there is lost, but at least we have recordings of it  Smiley

Ah yes, YouTube, the font of all accuarcy Grin There's a story in one of the issues of ESQ where Alan Boyd tells of how he was able to include a portion of CCW from The David Frost Show in the EH documentary.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »

Ah yes, YouTube, the font of all accuarcy Grin There's a story in one of the issues of ESQ where Alan Boyd tells of how he was able to include a portion of CCW from The David Frost Show in the EH documentary.

that's cool I need to read that sometime  Smiley  EH is probably one of my favorite documentary of the guys

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »

Alan Boyd did a wonderful job directing EH. My only gripe is that it's too short Grin

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »

I wrote a two part article with a lot of info on this kind of stuff for ESQ and then I used updated info in the book that Jon and I wrote. I tried to cover most of these TV appearances in the text (though not in as much detail as I would have if we had more space).  Having seen the Ed Sullivan 64 show I can tell you they weren't interviewed-just played the two songs (pics of both performances in the book).  In 68 they also did two songs and again no interview.  We have a nice pic of the Ed Sullivan 68 show in the book (what is neat about it is that it shows them performing the song in the Sullivan studio-without the "Psychedelic" affects that Sullivan's people added to the footage before it appeared on TV to make it more psychedelic.  In terms of interviews on TV-you can see the footage from Oklahoma City that surfaced on Youtube and there is an audio tape of them being interviewed in Sweden in Nov 64.  Also the footage of them in Paris in Nov 64.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »

Thanks for the Ed Sullivan info, Ian.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »

yea I appreciate it too Ian, thank you.  I hope the Sweden interview will surface too and hopefully its not too short  Grin

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx