gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:45:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Personal Beach Boys Story  (Read 15322 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:16:12 AM »

I've read some incredible stories from Smiley members about their experiences in real life relating to the Beach Boys. Meeting them in real life for instance, and having Bruce Johnston wish death upon you with his eyes. My personal favorite story is the guy who shouted during a C50 show, and had said shout appear on the live album (from a show is Texas I believe). Both of those stories are rather interesting.

So, share any Beach Boys story you have, I'd love to read them.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »

I was at the Sands reunion show and Mike and Al pointed to me and the other guy next to me. We both laughed because we were acting a bit dorky  LOL
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »

When I saw the band in Camden I was so happy that they played Marcella that I cheered for a good fifteen seconds or so after the song ended. Mike pointed to me and was like "well, thank you very much!"
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »

This isn't a Beach Boys story...it's a Brian Wilson story:  I'm young (23), so Brian Wilson has always felt like a black-and-white mythical legend more than a real person.  When I got the chance to see him live (in the flesh!) two summers ago, he finally seemed real.  (I went with my dad--the one who introduced me to the Beach Boys!)

Before the concert, I decided to scope out the venue's back-lot.  Sure enough, there was a tour bus and a small crowd of people waiting around it, all waiting for a chance to just see Brian.  Lucky for those of us who were waiting there, he decided to sign autographs, so I hopped right in line.  I didn't have a camera nor a thing for him to autograph--I didn't care: I just wanted to meet Brian.  I stepped inside the tour bus and I got to shake his hand.

This is how I like to put it, though: I met Brian, but Brian didn't meet me. lol, what I mean by that is that he didn't seem "all there", or at the very least he was distracted, and he didn't seem to know I was there hah.  No complaints here, though--it was truly a moment of joy that I'll always remember.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »

I haven't met any of the Beach Boys, but at the C50 show in Cincy last year Scott Bennett walked by where I was sitting on his way to the sound board (about 45 minutes before the show), and I stopped him, shook his hand, and chatted for about 15 seconds.

Kind of lame, but it was memorable for me. I think he was surprised I knew who he was.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

born in '73, i always loved the Beach Boys but didn't even hear Pet Sounds in its entirety until '98. i became a hardcore fan almost overnight, read the Gaines book, saw Endless Harmony, became fascinated with SMiLE, discovered the box set and entire discography. and then Brian announced shows for the following spring.

I drove through a blizzard from N. Carolina to see the first show in Ann Arbor in March of '99. what an amazing and spiritual experience it was. stood by the bus hoping to meet Brian and get an autograph. No luck, but I did talk to Nicky who is cool as can be. We were both so happy that Brian was out playing his music again, and doing some rather obscure things to boot. I remember wishing out loud that Brian would play Busy Doin Nothin and Nicky agreed.

In July of 2001, I saw Brian at Jones Beach when he toured with Paul Simon. During that tour, he was setting up an autograph table after his set so I came prepared. I was completely starstruck and Brian couldn't sign his name fast enough, but getting that chance to say "Hi Brian" and tell him thank you was so fulfilling. I stood in line twice and got autographs on my Mt. Vernon & Fairway 45 and a Pet Sounds cover with Mike Love removed (I was a graphic design student learning how to have a little fun in Photoshop. I thought it was funny and Brian didn't even notice)

In May of 02 i made it to L.A. for the Roxy shows. I bumped into and spoke to Melinda briefly before the show. It was an amazing setlist that night in the most intimate of venues and I was right up front for it. When Brian played Busy Doin Nothin, he looked directly at me as I sang along word-for-word... a brief but very cool "moment" for me!

I was able to purchase a front row seat at the very last minute before the SMiLE concert in Melbourne, FL in 2004. That was a religious experience sitting basically at the master's feet as he played his psychedelic Americana masterpiece that I was hearing for the first time in its entirety. More eye contact was exchanged but I think I left my body at some point.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:51:10 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »

All I have to say is that everyone I know makes fun of me for liking The Beach Boys. :/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:23:05 AM »

Summer 2005, backstage in Birmingham (England) after the BW show, hanging with the band (and about 30 other fans), the tour manager stuck his head through the door at increasingly shorter intervals, pleading with the band to get onto the tour bus - next days show was in Glasgow - and eventually almost threatening to drive off without them. Darian turned to him and said, pointedly, "we're talking to our friends". That literally charmed me: not "these fans", not "these people", but "our friends". Told me everything about the bond that had formed with the UK fans and Brian's band since early 2002 (and it's the same with the members of Mike & Bruce's band too: stars one and all).

Trying to think of any other band with such a relationship with the fans... and pretty much failing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »

Nice story AGD.

Brian and Al are the ones I have been able to converse with and interview. Both very nice people, both seemed to enjoy getting non typical questions. Best part my job is this of course, especially when the people turn out to be as cool as them.

Mike got an autograph after the show in 1993, too noisy too talk as he was getting off the stage, but he stopped and took a minute when he did not have to.

Carl autographed a picture sleeve of I Get Around for me. I knew a guy from a studio (I think he was recording Like A Brother) that told him about me so that was nice and pretty shocking in a good way.

Bruce and David just have talked to them a few times online. BBB for Bruce like everyone else, but I got a good answer from him about I Will Always Love You by Barry Mann and Carl's version of it..
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 03:43:51 AM »

I was able to purchase a front row seat at the very last minute before the SMiLE concert in Melbourne, FL in 2004. That was a religious experience sitting basically at the master's feet as he played his psychedelic Americana masterpiece that I was hearing for the first time in its entirety. More eye contact was exchanged but I think I left my body at some point.

That's f**king amazing  Shocked

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:26 AM »

I've had one BB encounter (shared this before.)

I saw the C50 show in Hong Kong, which blew my mind. That started the current obsession which has escalated to a hobby.

Much later in March, I was going to see Mike and Bruce. When waiting for the ferry, I saw Bruce, who I went to talk to. He was incredibly friendly, and I talked to him and Tim Bonhomme for a little while. Met Mike too, but briefy.
Tim made sure that he take my name and number (giving me his cell to call) so he could get me a backstage pass for the Rugby 7's the following day. In Hong Kong the Rugby 7's are a pretty big deal. Even a regular ticket is expensive and pretty hard to get. So I spent the next day hanging out backstage in The Beach Boys area, along with some of the best rugby players in the world.
I bumped into John Cowsil after they played and I asked him for an autograph. He signed, and then pulled the drumsticks he used out of his pocket and said "Here, these are collectors items." They've got his and the BB C50 logo.

In short, they are some really nice people.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »

Summer 2005, backstage in Birmingham (England) after the BW show, hanging with the band (and about 30 other fans), the tour manager stuck his head through the door at increasingly shorter intervals, pleading with the band to get onto the tour bus - next days show was in Glasgow - and eventually almost threatening to drive off without them. Darian turned to him and said, pointedly, "we're talking to our friends". That literally charmed me: not "these fans", not "these people", but "our friends". Told me everything about the bond that had formed with the UK fans and Brian's band since early 2002 (and it's the same with the members of Mike & Bruce's band too: stars one and all).

Trying to think of any other band with such a relationship with the fans... and pretty much failing.

I saw you've also met Mike personally at a show. How did that go?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »

OK, so here goes my credibility in certain quarters, but just great. Hung out pre- and post-gig, had a goodly amount of one-on-one time. He's a very funny guy, but in a dry English way, and exceedingly gracious (he almost agreed to remove "B-f-A" from the setlist but the MD overruled). Very protective towards his family, and his cousin. We talked about this and that and I gained new insights into a lot of things, recent and historic. Some of us here think we know this thing called The Beach Boys, and the individuals therein, just a little bit. Fact is, we know next to nothing... except what we choose to believe.

Big props also to Jacquelyne Love, Tim Bonhomme and Jay Jones for arranging everything. Except the penguin suit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 04:47:45 AM »

I saw the C50 show in Hong Kong, which blew my mind. That started the current obsession which has escalated to a hobby.

Much later in March, I was going to see Mike and Bruce. When waiting for the ferry, I saw Bruce, who I went to talk to. He was incredibly friendly, and I talked to him and Tim Bonhomme for a little while. Met Mike too, but briefy.

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience talking to Bruce. As has often been discussed around here, he seems to have his good and bad days.

I was at a pre-show gathering for Danish fans, when Mike and Bruce played in Copenhagen in around 2004,... or was it '05? Quite a few years ago at least. We were only about 10-15 hardcore fans gathered at a small meeting room we had booked at the venue. One of the fans went outside to catch some fresh air before the show, only to bump into Bruce who apparently was having a stroll around the venue. So this fan tells him about the fan gathering, Bruce says he'd be glad to stop by and say hi and the two of them come up to where the rest of us are. I then think that Bruce was underwhelmed by the poor turnout in there - I don't know if the fellow fan had given him the impression that there was hundreds of us there or a bunch of blonde, goodlookin' female fans. :-) Whatever, he came across as very grumpy, even dissing a teenage guy who asked him a, admittedly dumb, question. ("I can see in this old Danish teen magazine that when you played here in 66 you were wearing RED striped shirts. I thought you guys only wore blue stripes?") I can't remember how Bruce responded word by word but it was something along the lines of "how the f*** would I know or even care about what we wore that many years ago?" I don't blame Bruce though - it was a strange question. He seemed in a pretty bad mood and it was all pretty bizarre. Got to shake his hand though and have him sign my copy of Friends.

For me personally, such an encounter doesn't change anything at all. Being surrounded by geeky fanboys like myself mulling over the most inane details of your career could surely also piss me off.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:07:54 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 06:17:29 AM »

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience talking to Bruce. As has often been discussed around here, he seems to have his good and bad days.

I was at a pre-show gathering for Danish fans, when Mike and Bruce played in Copenhagen in around 2004,... or was it '05? Quite a few years ago at least. We were only about 10-15 hardcore fans gathered at a small meeting room we had booked at the venue. One of the fans went outside to catch some fresh air before the show, only to bump into Bruce who apparently was having a stroll around the venue. So this fan tells him about the fan gathering, Bruce says he'd be glad to stop by and say hi and the two of them come up to where the rest of us are. I then think that Bruce was underwhelmed by the poor turnout in there - I don't know if the fellow fan had given him the impression that there was hundreds of us there or a bunch of blonde, goodlookin' female fans. :-) Whatever, he came across as very grumpy, even dissing a teenage guy who asked him a, admittedly dumb, question. ("I can see in this old Danish teen magazine that when you played here in 66 you were wearing RED striped shirts. I thought you guys only wore blue stripes?") I can't remember how Bruce responded word by word but it was something along the lines of "how the f*** would I know or even care about what we wore that many years ago?" I don't blame Bruce though - it was a strange question. He seemed in a pretty bad mood and it was all pretty bizarre. Got to shake his hand though and have him sign my copy of Friends.

For me personally, such an encounter doesn't change anything at all. Being surrounded by geeky fanboys like myself mulling over the most inane details of your career could surely also piss me off.

Hahaha, oh my god. That is so in line with all the other negative stories.  LOL
Sorry to hear that it wasn't a good encounter. Still, it is great just to hear someone of his position speak. That's the guy singing on all those records!

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »

Never met any of the BB so maybe this doesn't belong here (Ok, it definitely doesn't belong here, but I like to share my BB fandom history at any rate)...

Throughout my life thought the Beach Boys were a corny surfin/cars/fun, fun, fun light music band that was NOT to be taken seriously. I vacillated between loving The Beatles, Electric Light Orchestra to Genesis. One day while browsing in a Best Buy I decided to buy Sounds of Summer and give these Beach Boys a legitimate try. I was shocked by how many hits they had, but still I couldn't put that thought in my mind that they were just light, airy, not-to-be-taken-too-seriously.

My wife & her father saw the M & B Beach Boys in 2009 or so but I knew enough to not have that be my Beach Boys experience. Although my band history was very rudimentary then I skipped out on the show because Brian Wilson wouldn't be there.

Skip ahead to 5/19/12 and I saw the C-50 stop at The Borgata in Atlantic City. I was hypnotized by Brian's presence and that has launched me into a period of obsession that has continued pretty much unabated since then.

I purchased all their easy-to-obtain 2fers (no MIU/LA--got that on iTunes) used through Amazon resellers (about $4 each on average) and purchased all the literature I could about all things Beach Boys, again used.

Now I anxiously await the arrival of MiC by listening to Summer In Paradise for the first time this morning (finally found a free download online--I am comedically inept with PCs) and some Landlocked.

Seeing Brian & Jeff Beck in October in Philly where my Beach Boys obsession will continue unabated for the next undefined period of time. Smiley Smile keeps me fueled and I love the idea of these types of fan pages. I imagine us all at a large cocktail party engaged in many different side conversations simultaneously and for that, I am very grateful that Al Gore invented this thing called the internet.

Thanks for reading this lengthy and generally-unrelated post. Cheers!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »

When I was 14 (in 1993), I somehow got ahold of the group's mailing addresses and sent all of them fan letters. Carl was the only one to respond, and he sent a personalized autographed photo, which I still have. I think this speaks to him as a person ... I think that he and Denny were the more fan-oriented of the group. I often wonder if Carl and Dennis would be more involved in boards such as this if they were still with us ... I suspect they would!

I also met Brian (and Jeff Foskett) right around the Smile Sessions box, but he seemed like he was having an off day -- sort of spaced out. Jeff was nice and Brian autographed my picture sleeve of Mt. Vernon & Fairway.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »

I met Brian in Los Angeles in June, 1976. Then I hung out with him for about an hour at his house in Bel-Air.

Also met, Mike, Carl, Al, and Bruce and had them sign stuff. Dennis almost signed stuff but he was too pissed off and intoxicated.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »

Dennis almost signed stuff but he was too pissed off and intoxicated.

You got Dennis drunk, and then he was pissed at you for doing it?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »

The night before Thanksgiving 2006, Beacon Theater, New York...my wife and I and a few friends fell ass backwards into getting tickets to the show and all-access passes, courtesy of one of the guys in the band who will be nameless out of respect...

After the show, my wife wanted to go backstage just to thank said band member, which we did, and I thought we were on our way out, until we see Brian himself walk in and pour himself a drink. My wife grabbed my hand and said, "Come on." And I'm all "Uhh...honey, what are you doing??" We get closer to Brian. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???"

My wife walks up to him, looks him in the face, and says, "Hi, Brian. My name is Mrs. 37!WS, and this is my husband 37!WS." Brian smiled and said, "Hi, Mrs. 37!WS!" and shook her hand, and smiled and shook my hand, making eye contact with us both. I think I managed to get out a "Thank you for your music, Brian!" while my wife said "We met because of Pet Sounds!" to which Brian laughed and said "WHOA! Great!" and, still, smiling, just casually walked away. But wow...he actually demonstrated social skills to us for a few seconds! Totally NOT what I was expecting! I was expecting a forced smile and a "yeah, whatever" kind of reaction...

A few minutes later we kind of got caught up in the crowd and talked to Al Jardine briefly. (He was touring with Brian for a short time in 2006.) My wife told Al that as an English teacher, she loves that he included a reference to Travels With Charley in "California." He said, "I'll letcha in on a little secret...I never actually read that book!" (Obviously -- because the lyrics sheet spells Charley's name incorrectly, and the book doesn't really take place in Salinas.) She laughed at the time, but she kind of looks back on that with disappointment; she can't help but feel a little let down.

That's really my story at this point...but I'd like to share a friend's....I don't think he posts on this board...but our friend Dan is a massive Dennis fan and is sometimes even listed in the acknowledgements of BB product that has some new Denny stuff (in particular, the 2008 POB reissue), and he runs the Dennis Wilson Dreamer web site. Anyhoo...in August of 2005, my wife and I were spending some time in Chicago and found out that the cancelled Clio, Michigan Smile concert was rescheduled for....the Park West in Chicago, the last night we were going to be there! Naturally, we pounced on tickets, and with the help of another friend ended up at the head of the general-admission line, and made a bee line right to the stage when they opened the doors; we sat so close that my wife literally put her arm out and was touching Brian's keyboard stand. Dan was right behind us at the same table, and he was wearing a custom-made Dennis Wilson t-shirt; I don't remember if it was from the Greg Larson collection or if he commissioned it himself, but...

Anyhoo, at some point during the concert, Brian actually pointed to Dan and mouthed the words "Where'd you get that t-shirt??" I remember Dan's jaw just dropped...this is the same guy who was the last guy at a Brian meet-and-greet and got a sh*t ton of pictures with him and Melinda, yet he was still in awe of being singled out by Brian! heh...

Oh...also, I met Ricky Fataar at Beatlefest in 1997. I asked him if The Flame would ever get back together. He laughed and said, "You know? That was a WEIRD album!" I asked him something about "We Got Love," and he just said "Hmm....well, I WROTE the bloody song, but...I don't remember!" Saw him the next day in the hotel restaurant and asked if I could get a picture, to which he immediately said of course. And right before I snapped it he said "WAIT..." and he held up the restaurant's menu, which featured a collage of drawn coffee cups (or, to a Rutles fan, tea cups) and put on his sunglasses, and said, "OK, now go ahead!" I love that picture...I know the guy is from South Africa, but he spoke with a very British accent...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:19:14 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »

In january 1979, I attended a Blondie Chaplin concert at Whiskey a Gogo.
He played a beautiful version of Sail on Sailor that night.
Then along with Alice of BB Freaks United (the name of the international  fan club at the time) we interviewed Blondie.
When I told him about the german and first pressing of  Holland vinyl album featuring We Got Love, he was totally surprised and really interested in getting one copy.
The man was very kind and pleasant that night . the interview was published a little later in BBFUN newsletter.

In 1988, I introduced Brian at the BBStomp convention with Pete Whitfield.
All 3 were frightened! Brian appearing live in front of 300 fans
and Pete and I because of the surprise of the day.

I ll remember those 2 strong events forever.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »

I purchased all their easy-to-obtain 2fers (no MIU/LA--got that on iTunes)

I paid $35 bucks for my physical copy of MIU/LA from eBay :/  (It's hard being a completionist...)

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »

I've mentioned my Mike and Bruce stories elsewhere.  My first Brian meeting was brief, as he left the venue to get on to his bus after playing Glasgow Armadillo 2002.  Got a quick signature before the poor guy almost got crushed.  Felt bad about that. I also got a nice picture with Melinda before the gig as she was sitting right behind me.  At the end I met Taylor Mills and got a picture with her.  Very nice!

Next time was Edinburgh, same year.  Brian shook the hands of people at the front of the stage and I was one of them!  After the gig I thought there's no point hanging about outside so I think I'll walk up to the Balmoral Hotel on the off chance Brian was staying there.  After a wee while the tour bus pulls up. First man off the bus was Brian!  I had my Pet  Sounds album in one hand and a camera in the other, my heart was pounding.  Brian signed my album and posed for a picture, which his assistant took.  Then he went into the hotel.  I was chatting away the whole time. Brian didn't say a word but seemed quite relaxed as there was nobody else around.  Then all the band got of the bus and chatted and signed, apart from Jeff, who signed but didn't speak and had a towel round his neck.  Someone else said he was protecting his voice!

2004, met Brian again at a meet and greet in Newcastle and got my Smile poster signed.  Brian didn't say anything.

2004 Glasgow again, I'm hanging back after the show talking to Scott Bennett.  Everybody's getting ready for a meet and greet, which I didn't have a ticket for.  Next thing a table gets pulled up next to a door.  I'm first in line, Smile programme at the ready Brian comes out, sits down.  I tell him, "thank you" for all the music and a great show.  He looks up and says to me, "thank you"! The emphasis in his voice made it seem like he was thanking me for being a fan rather than for what I had just said.  I was thrilled.  He seemed very relaxed and happy.

I've also been fortunate enough to meet Darian and Probyn on other occasions too, great guys.

I'm very lucky and thankful that I've had the chance to meet these guys and not been disappointed.  They have certainly been very gracious with their time.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »

I also think it's pretty cool that there are people here like AGD that I've seen at these gigs too, never spoken to you Andrew, and all the other familiar faces that go to all the gigs.  It's always good to meet Beach Boys friends every so often and have a blether before the gigs.  There's always a good atmosphere.  Maybe some of them post on here to.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:37:30 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »

A few minutes later we kind of got caught up in the crowd and talked to Al Jardine briefly. (He was touring with Brian for a short time in 2006.) My wife told Al that as an English teacher, she loves that he included a reference to Travels With Charley in "California." He said, "I'll letcha in on a little secret...I never actually read that book!" (Obviously -- because the lyrics sheet spells Charley's name incorrectly, and the book doesn't really take place in Salinas.) She laughed at the time, but she kind of looks back on that with disappointment; she can't help but feel a little let down.

"Travels with Charley" documents the driving trip John Steinbeck took in his camper with his dog Charley around the United States in the 1960s. He wanted to see the U.S. on a personal level, since he made his living writing about it. He wanted to know first hand what Americans were really like. However, he found that the "New America" did not live up to his expectations. He started his travels in Long Island, New York, then throughout the North, the Pacific Northwest, into Monterey, then down into his native Salinas Valley, across to Texas, up through the Deep South, and then back to New York. His whole trip encompassed nearly 10,000 miles.

Steinbeck was born and he grew up in Salinas. Steinbeck also wrote about the romance of his parents near Salinas in "Travels with Charley". Salinas is also a central location in many of Steinbeck's works. He spent much of his time on Fremont Peak (near Salinas). His goodbye to his past in "Travels With Charley" is some of Steinbeck's finest writing.

I happen to live near the "gateway" to Steinbeck Country. This area also includes Big Sur, where Al lives. He may not have read the book, but he knew exactly where he was writing about!

Have you ever been down Salinas way?
Where Steinbeck found the valley
And he wrote about it the way it was in his "Travelin's with Charley."

P.S. I gotta ask Al where "Penny's Place" is/was.  Never been able to find that spot...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:19:27 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx