gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:49:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 115128 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: September 13, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »

I'm making my personal review of the release you morons!
You definitely don't sound upset...

Hehe.  LOL
TM song Time! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 13, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »

Where is it?  I musta missed it somewhere.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 13, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Last year's version of Do It Again is available as a bonus track of the Japanese copy of That's Why God Made Radio.

I think they were saying to make it more widely available than this, the lawl-mart zine, or the QVC thing. Would've made a nice addition to Made In California, but then so would have dozens of other things.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 13, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »

NOW he's upset!   Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 13, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »

I'm feel bad for you all who missed Hooked on Phonics... Grin
Gohi
« Reply #530 on: September 13, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

Nice to meet you, Mr. I'm feel bad for you all who missed Hooked on Phonics...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:25:03 PM by Gohi » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 13, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »

Minus a few missing tracks I'm not quite sure who you can't complain about this box set.

Pretty much perfectly done. I'm loving it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #532 on: September 13, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »

When was "Why" recorded???
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 13, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »

November 18, 1977
;(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:09:56 PM by It's NOT a comma. » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 13, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »

Nice to meet you, Mr. I'm feel bad for you all who missed Hooked on Phonics...

Again,  LOL.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 13, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

Oh boy where do i begin...
  Besides being released a year after the actual 50th tour ended.. Talk about losing momentum.. this "box set" is just another way of getting our money. And we give in, shelling out over a hundred bucks for songs that we already have over and over and over.. and over. I believe with this release there have been over 200 or so compilations, bootlegs, imports, remasters, reissues, etc etc.. but hey whos counting!
  While I do think the "yearbook" theme is a good idea for an artist like justin bieber, it is a horrible idea for a ROCK band like the beach boys. It is a very juvenile, cheesy gimmicky looking book, (on the outside that is). The orange and yellow wave makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would expect a better looking package that is representing one of the most successful and influential bands of our time.
  I guess I cant complain too much about the first page with the band members "autographs" although brians looks like it was written by a 2 year old.. I LOVE any and all pictures of the beach boys, but nothing annoys me more then pictures that are mirror images of the actual pic, and there were some on here... there was also some errors in chart positionings... someone didnt do there homework!..
  I was a little disappointed there were no pics from 1968-1972. OH and Blondie and Ricky totally got the shaft in this collection. Whoever put this together must not like um them... Skipped from 1971 to late 70's then straight to the 80's... Shame on you all!!
  The pictures that are actually on the 6 discs are... bad. Well actually just the first and second discs.. I do love the sunflower pic on disc 3. Disc 4 Im glad they did a blondie and ricky pic. but why did they have to use the photoshopped brian pic!...also the beach boys font that is used on disc 4 is far better then the actually beach boys logo that they use.. Disc 5 and 6 are right on point! Love the Brother Records Logo!!
  Im not gonna even get into the song choice and order of them. would take waaaay too long. Made In California should have been called Made in a hurry...

Cheesy  Not too mention -- it was expensive! 

While there's not much I could honestly disagree with in your review --- I'm actually loving the set.  The sweeping glory exceeds all the nits.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: September 14, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »

Does "Why" remind anyone else of TWGMTR (the song) ? I can't help feeling there's a similarity.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 14, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »

Not only is BeanBag correct, but his phrasing "sweeping glory" is unbeatable.  I know I am always praising the Bag excessively, but he is consistently right on. And yes, I have to do it: start the chant, beanbag, beanbag.  Sweeping glory is what I have been experiencing every day since MIC came out.

The Professor.

Oh boy where do i begin...
  Besides being released a year after the actual 50th tour ended.. Talk about losing momentum.. this "box set" is just another way of getting our money. And we give in, shelling out over a hundred bucks for songs that we already have over and over and over.. and over. I believe with this release there have been over 200 or so compilations, bootlegs, imports, remasters, reissues, etc etc.. but hey whos counting!
  While I do think the "yearbook" theme is a good idea for an artist like justin bieber, it is a horrible idea for a ROCK band like the beach boys. It is a very juvenile, cheesy gimmicky looking book, (on the outside that is). The orange and yellow wave makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would expect a better looking package that is representing one of the most successful and influential bands of our time.
  I guess I cant complain too much about the first page with the band members "autographs" although brians looks like it was written by a 2 year old.. I LOVE any and all pictures of the beach boys, but nothing annoys me more then pictures that are mirror images of the actual pic, and there were some on here... there was also some errors in chart positionings... someone didnt do there homework!..
  I was a little disappointed there were no pics from 1968-1972. OH and Blondie and Ricky totally got the shaft in this collection. Whoever put this together must not like um them... Skipped from 1971 to late 70's then straight to the 80's... Shame on you all!!
  The pictures that are actually on the 6 discs are... bad. Well actually just the first and second discs.. I do love the sunflower pic on disc 3. Disc 4 Im glad they did a blondie and ricky pic. but why did they have to use the photoshopped brian pic!...also the beach boys font that is used on disc 4 is far better then the actually beach boys logo that they use.. Disc 5 and 6 are right on point! Love the Brother Records Logo!!
  Im not gonna even get into the song choice and order of them. would take waaaay too long. Made In California should have been called Made in a hurry...

Cheesy  Not too mention -- it was expensive! 

While there's not much I could honestly disagree with in your review --- I'm actually loving the set.  The sweeping glory exceeds all the nits.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:53 AM »

Thanks professor!  If I keep swinging fast, I'll eventually hit one out.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »

Does "Why" remind anyone else of TWGMTR (the song) ? I can't help feeling there's a similarity.
Oh yeah, I DEFINATELY see a similarity.…i also hear it on Live Let Live on TLOS

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: September 20, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »

Oh yeah, I DEFINATELY see a similarity.…i also hear it on Live Let Live on TLOS

The best!! It's so good, the chords are so good, my stomach hurts... I mean it!! Not many songs do that... Why???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:59:39 PM by bsten » Logged
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 20, 2013, 05:17:19 PM »

Totally! It happened to me some days ago.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 20, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »

November 18, 1977
;(

Anybody else think that might have gotten some latter-day sweetening?  The whole texture of the thing, especially the drums, sounds way more 2012 than 1977 to me...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »

November 18, 1977
;(

Anybody else think that might have gotten some latter-day sweetening?  The whole texture of the thing, especially the drums, sounds way more 2012 than 1977 to me...

It's probably just the product of being mixed recently.

Also, the reason this is titled "Why" is because Brian deliberately left it unfinished/off an album so we could all hear the quality of this compared to MIU Album and ask "Why? Why would this go unreleased over most of MIU?"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 20, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »

When the strings kick in on "We're together again" and the harmonies start going it's every bit as sweet a feeling as the ending to GOK.

Absolute magic.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #545 on: September 21, 2013, 03:42:07 AM »

When the strings kick in on "We're together again" and the harmonies start going it's every bit as sweet a feeling as the ending to GOK.

Absolute magic.

Yeah I was just listening to disc 3 last night and that moment really got me...
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 22, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »

November 18, 1977
;(

It's probably just the product of being mixed recently.

Also, the reason this is titled "Why" is because Brian deliberately left it unfinished/off an album so we could all hear the quality of this compared to MIU Album and ask "Why? Why would this go unreleased over most of MIU?"

M.I.U. is probably their most frustrating album once you realize how much good music the band had recorded around that time.  Bad as Summer in Paradise was, I'm not sure there was any way that the band could have released a good album in the state it was in in 1992.  In 1978, however, you had all the Adult/Child tracks, "Sherry She Needs Me," "Why," "California Feelin'," and some others like Dennis' "Tug of Love" just laying around!  Throw pretty much any combination of those tracks together, add "My Diane," and (for commercial if not artistic reasons) "Come Go With Me" and you have an album that's at least as commercial and infinitely superior to M.I.U.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 22, 2013, 06:14:43 AM »

I have to say two tracks that have been the biggest revelation for me since getting MIC:

The stereo version of "Country Air," which really helps to hear the layers of backing vocals.  I hope they eventually find the materials to do a full, true stereo release of Wild Honey, but maybe that's hoping for too much.  At the very least, I'd like to know what a stereo version of "Aren't You Glad?" (my favorite Beach Boys song?) would reveal.

The new mix of "Rock and Roll Music."  "RnRM" has always been my least favorite of the band's top-40 singles; unlike "Barbara Ann" and "Kokomo," I can barely stand even to listen to it.  But this new mix is terrific!

I also really like the instrumental version of "Had to Phone Ya" and the live version of "The Letter."

The biggest disappointment, as many have pointed out, is "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'," which sounds better in the bootleg versions that I already have.  The other two unreleased Spector covers sound much better than I expected them to, though.
ArtVandalay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 22, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »

Absolute magic.

Of all the great songs that have been left off of Beach Boys studio albums, this is the one that puzzles me the most. I absolutely love this song.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 22, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »

Totally! It happened to me some days ago.

Totally.

Why also reminds me of Summer Means New Love, particularly in its instrumental form… Almost like a late 70s update to that tune. Does anyone agree?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:29:10 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx