gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:12:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 114523 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: September 11, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »

The a Capella break in Do it Again (live-C50) made it my favorite version. Love that bit, gives it a bit more dynamic range and kicks it into high gear before right before the end.
Just fyi, Mike and Bruce had started doing that in 2010 i think, so that was not created especially for the c50 tour, it just carried over.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 11, 2013, 02:34:43 AM »

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:40:07 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 11, 2013, 04:31:39 AM »

The a Capella break in Do it Again (live-C50) made it my favorite version. Love that bit, gives it a bit more dynamic range and kicks it into high gear before right before the end.
Just fyi, Mike and Bruce had started doing that in 2010 i think, so that was not created especially for the c50 tour, it just carried over.

Thanks! Didn't know that.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #503 on: September 11, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »

Ahem sooo, 'Summer in Paradise':

Shoot me, but I am pretty pleased they included this track in the set.

Way more melodic than 'Goin to the Beach', and cool acapella ending*.  I'd only ever really listened to the album version once or twice before on youtube and basically dismissed it, but a decent track in this form I'd say!!

*I love it when they throw in surprise acapella sections at BB-(related) shows...the end of Darlin' was probably the biggest highlight of this kind during C50, end of Hawaii is decent too, and also the way they emphasised the 'COMEE AND DO ITTT' before the final Do it Again chorus.

Re Summer In Paradise. A few rather trite lyrics aside, I think it's a great song, especially live. The melody is great, the vocals on the chorus are terrific, and Bruce's solo is really nice (and I say this as someone who generally doesn't much care for his voice). Crap though the SIP album is, I still think it's a shame they avoided referencing the album in the MIC song credits section - we're told which albums all the other live songs originally appeared on, but not Summer In Paradise.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 11, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »

Ahem sooo, 'Summer in Paradise':

Shoot me, but I am pretty pleased they included this track in the set.

Way more melodic than 'Goin to the Beach', and cool acapella ending*.  I'd only ever really listened to the album version once or twice before on youtube and basically dismissed it, but a decent track in this form I'd say!!

*I love it when they throw in surprise acapella sections at BB-(related) shows...the end of Darlin' was probably the biggest highlight of this kind during C50, end of Hawaii is decent too, and also the way they emphasised the 'COMEE AND DO ITTT' before the final Do it Again chorus.

Re Summer In Paradise. A few rather trite lyrics aside, I think it's a great song, especially live. The melody is great, the vocals on the chorus are terrific, and Bruce's solo is really nice (and I say this as someone who generally doesn't much care for his voice). Crap though the SIP album is, I still think it's a shame they avoided referencing the album in the MIC song credits section - we're told which albums all the other live songs originally appeared on, but not Summer In Paradise.

I guess that has to do with Summer in Paradise being an album that was neither ever issued or reissued on Capitol, it's like a black hole in the Beach Boys discography, it's been out of circulation officially for nearly two decades, and the band seems keen on letting it go forgotten or at least just sit as a footnote in their career.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »

TBH it should be forgotten. Hasn't it been out of print since it was released?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 11, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »

I'm really surprised the Do It Again (C50) version wasn't on MIC or any live tracks (not featured on the recent concert album) from C50 as well.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Gohi
« Reply #507 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »

should've included Why Do Fools Fall in Love with the piano intro imo  police
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #508 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »

A few more little session intros (such as seen on Surfer's Rule and I Get Around) would've been nice and wouldn't have taken up much room. In particular I would've like to have seen a snippet of the sessions for Friends (the title track) which is such a beautiful arrangement, much of which is quite hard to hear on the completed song.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 12, 2013, 05:57:16 AM »

Yes! At the moment it's only available on Summer Love Songs so it would've been nice to have it included.

Gohi
« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »

Yes! At the moment it's only available on Summer Love Songs so it would've been nice to have it included.
I guess the piano intro was kind of overblown for 60s pop radio. Still wonder why they couldn't have put it on the album though. Love it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2013, 06:30:27 AM »

A few more little session intros (such as seen on Surfer's Rule and I Get Around) would've been nice and wouldn't have taken up much room. In particular I would've like to have seen a snippet of the sessions for Friends (the title track) which is such a beautiful arrangement, much of which is quite hard to hear on the completed song.
I totally agree.…I think finally releasing the vocals only of Friends would have went over well. It was only on the Al Jardine B side to Dont Fight the Sea, which wasn't sold everywhere, I think.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 12, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »

I totally agree.…I think finally releasing the vocals only of Friends would have went over well. It was only on the Al Jardine B side to Dont Fight the Sea, which wasn't sold everywhere, I think.

Great suggestion.

“We live in divisive times.”
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »

Oh boy where do i begin...
  Besides being released a year after the actual 50th tour ended.. Talk about losing momentum.. this "box set" is just another way of getting our money. And we give in, shelling out over a hundred bucks for songs that we already have over and over and over.. and over. I believe with this release there have been over 200 or so compilations, bootlegs, imports, remasters, reissues, etc etc.. but hey whos counting!
  While I do think the "yearbook" theme is a good idea for an artist like justin bieber, it is a horrible idea for a ROCK band like the beach boys. It is a very juvenile, cheesy gimmicky looking book, (on the outside that is). The orange and yellow wave makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would expect a better looking package that is representing one of the most successful and influential bands of our time.
  I guess I cant complain too much about the first page with the band members "autographs" although brians looks like it was written by a 2 year old.. I LOVE any and all pictures of the beach boys, but nothing annoys me more then pictures that are mirror images of the actual pic, and there were some on here... there was also some errors in chart positionings... someone didnt do there homework!..
  I was a little disappointed there were no pics from 1968-1972. OH and Blondie and Ricky totally got the shaft in this collection. Whoever put this together must not like um them... Skipped from 1971 to late 70's then straight to the 80's... Shame on you all!!
  The pictures that are actually on the 6 discs are... bad. Well actually just the first and second discs.. I do love the sunflower pic on disc 3. Disc 4 Im glad they did a blondie and ricky pic. but why did they have to use the photoshopped brian pic!...also the beach boys font that is used on disc 4 is far better then the actually beach boys logo that they use.. Disc 5 and 6 are right on point! Love the Brother Records Logo!!
  Im not gonna even get into the song choice and order of them. would take waaaay too long. Made In California should have been called Made in a hurry...
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »

Besides being released a year after the actual 50th tour ended.. Talk about losing momentum.. this "box set" is just another way of getting our money. And we give in, shelling out over a hundred bucks for songs that we already have over and over and over.. and over. I believe with this release there have been over 200 or so compilations, bootlegs, imports, remasters, reissues, etc etc.. but hey whos counting!
  While I do think the "yearbook" theme is a good idea for an artist like justin bieber, it is a horrible idea for a ROCK band like the beach boys. It is a very juvenile, cheesy gimmicky looking book, (on the outside that is). The orange and yellow wave makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would expect a better looking package that is representing one of the most successful and influential bands of our time.
  I guess I cant complain too much about the first page with the band members "autographs" although brians looks like it was written by a 2 year old.. I LOVE any and all pictures of the beach boys, but nothing annoys me more then pictures that are mirror images of the actual pic, and there were some on here... there was also some errors in chart positionings... someone didnt do there homework!..
  I was a little disappointed there were no pics from 1968-1972. OH and Blondie and Ricky totally got the shaft in this collection. Whoever put this together must not like um them... Skipped from 1971 to late 70's then straight to the 80's... Shame on you all!!
  The pictures that are actually on the 6 discs are... bad. Well actually just the first and second discs.. I do love the sunflower pic on disc 3. Disc 4 Im glad they did a blondie and ricky pic. but why did they have to use the photoshopped brian pic!...also the beach boys font that is used on disc 4 is far better then the actually beach boys logo that they use.. Disc 5 and 6 are right on point! Love the Brother Records Logo!!
  Im not gonna even get into the song choice and order of them. would take waaaay too long. Made In California should have been called Made in a hurry...

Cheer up, Mate, it's Friday!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »

I wish they would have included: Rock + Roal To The Rescue in the track lineup..
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »

I wish they would have included: Rock + Roal To The Rescue in the track lineup..

Absolutely, let's make sure everyone knows that they became The Beach Boys Tribute Band in the 80s and 90s!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

Youre upset, arent you?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

Youre upset, arent you?

Not really..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »

Send it back! If you are not upset, I'd hate to see when you are. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 13, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »

I'm making my personal review of the release you morons!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 13, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »

Everything was negative, you a$$hole. What did you expect posting that review on a board like this? Now curse me up one better! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gohi
« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

You definitely don't sound upset...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

You definitely don't sound upset...

Hehe.  LOL
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 13, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

Last year's version of Do It Again is available as a bonus track of the Japanese copy of That's Why God Made Radio.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx