gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:06:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 114557 times)
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 07, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »

Just having my first proper listen to Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live again , absolutely sublime !
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: September 09, 2013, 03:12:01 AM »

Goin' To The Beach - Another tune that deserved to have been released on one of their albums.  If they can put "Santa Ana Winds" out on a record they could do the same with this.

Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat?... To me, "Santa Ana Winds" is the best track they put out between Sunflower and TWGMTR. Although I don't rate "Goin' To The Beach" as low as some do, it is not 1% as good. Well, actually maybe 1%.

For my custom version of TWGMTR I use the album version of "Isn't It Time" sped up by one sixth...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2013, 04:04:05 AM »

Goin' To The Beach - Another tune that deserved to have been released on one of their albums.  If they can put "Santa Ana Winds" out on a record they could do the same with this.

Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat?... To me, "Santa Ana Winds" is the best track they put out between Sunflower and TWGMTR. Although I don't rate "Goin' To The Beach" as low as some do, it is not 1% as good. Well, actually maybe 1%.

For my custom version of TWGMTR I use the album version of "Isn't It Time" sped up by one sixth...

Santa Ana Winds is incredible, agreed. Going To The Beach on the other hand ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Nicko1234
« Reply #478 on: September 09, 2013, 04:38:42 AM »

Santa Ana Winds is indeed a fine song. Just a shame about the spoken word intro and Mike's nasal vocals.

Would have been a decent choice for Al to cover on Postcards from California.

And it would have been cool if the live version had been included on MiC.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 09, 2013, 04:48:50 AM »

Anybody wish, the 1974 song "Wishing You Were Here" by Chicago could have somehow been put on here?  I do.

Yes, I know it's a Chicago song -- but Al, Denny and Carl's vocals totally make that song.  They ARE the song.  It's just sublime.  It's a song that really shows how fking GOOD the Beach Boys were.  It puts a giant exclamation point on what could have been ...the wasted years of the mid-70s.

Cry

I implore everyone to go seek this song out immediately if you don't have it.  It's on Chicago VII.  The title, lyrics and the Boy's vocals are so painfully poignant on the fact that the Beach Boys and/or Brian Wilson WEREN'T there.  Wishing You Were Here.

Cry
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:51:22 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: September 09, 2013, 06:59:45 AM »

Anybody wish, the 1974 song "Wishing You Were Here" by Chicago could have somehow been put on here?  I do.

Yes, I know it's a Chicago song -- but Al, Denny and Carl's vocals totally make that song.  They ARE the song.  It's just sublime.  It's a song that really shows how fking GOOD the Beach Boys were.  It puts a giant exclamation point on what could have been ...the wasted years of the mid-70s.

Cry

I implore everyone to go seek this song out immediately if you don't have it.  It's on Chicago VII.  The title, lyrics and the Boy's vocals are so painfully poignant on the fact that the Beach Boys and/or Brian Wilson WEREN'T there.  Wishing You Were Here.

Cry

I'd like to hear the background vocal track(s) isolated.  But that would be even more unlikely than having a song from a different band on the box set.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:59 AM »

How can you not listen to "It's over now" and not wish we had all of Adult/Child in that quality..

Oh, all the what if's

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »

Very true.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:54 AM »

"All I want to do" Studio version - Terrible.

Live version on MIC - INCREDIBLE!!!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 09, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »

YES. Has so much energy that is missing from the studio version.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »

"Terrible"? You on drugs, Shady.

Also, in terms of energy, Mike's studio vocal beats the pants off this version. The rest of the instruments I might grant you, but the studio version showed me a side of Mike that I didn't think he really had prior. The live version (whie nice), not so much.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

Santa Ana Winds is indeed a fine song. Just a shame about the spoken word intro and Mike's nasal vocals.

100% agree. Hey, why don't they release an instruments only version so we could edit ourselves a no-spoken-intro version? Well, the nasality, all you can do is overhear those three lines and enjoy the rest.

How can you not listen to "It's over now" and not wish we had all of Adult/Child in that quality.

I don't know, it's not hard to do for me, must be a God given talent of mine. Grin

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 09, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »

So it hasn't bothered anyone else yet that the Beach Boys' voices are autotuned to the point of sounding like car horns throughout this ENTIRE collection (previously-released material included)?

The only completely  untouched track seems to be the Surfin' rehearsal. Even instruments are sometimes apparently run through the bitch.  Some of the supposed original alternate mixes (especially Sail Plane) sound like they are likely contemporary Pro Tools experiments.

How much did this cost again?!

Hasn't bothered me, mostly because what you're claiming is flat-out nonsense. Suggest you make an immediate appointment with your audiologist. Every single track ? Seriously ?? You any kin to Phil Cohen ?

I don't know if its auto-tune or what -- I suspect it's not -- but I'll take this as an opportunity to suggest that I do get a sense there is something on this (and 50 Big Ones) that gives everything a uniform sound.  For the better.  A big (HUGE) goal in mastering is to provide uniform sound/feel from track to track... especially important when covering such a vast expanse as they do here.

But it's a warmer, glossy sheen.  I'm not wearing my "audiophile hat" and suggesting it's good/bad for the source material, etc. -- but from a uniform listening experience, it's a very nice, classy sound.  There's compression, too -- to aid this effect... but again, I really think it serves the listening experience well across the entire set.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #488 on: September 09, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »

Also, in terms of energy, Mike's studio vocal beats the pants off this version. The rest of the instruments I might grant you, but the studio version showed me a side of Mike that I didn't think he really had prior. The live version (whie nice), not so much.

Thank God - I thought I was the only one. I love the studio version of All I Want To Do and yet all I ever read on here about it is criticism. Mike's vocal kicks ass, and how could anyone not love that cheeky fade?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 09, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »

Yeah Mike's lead is full tilt incredible - but the instrumentals (or the production) don't keep up with that intensity - whereas this live version is going on all cylinders. Jeesh, be thankful that some of us can appreciate this song now Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »

Ahem sooo, 'Summer in Paradise':

Shoot me, but I am pretty pleased they included this track in the set.

Way more melodic than 'Goin to the Beach', and cool acapella ending*.  I'd only ever really listened to the album version once or twice before on youtube and basically dismissed it, but a decent track in this form I'd say!!

*I love it when they throw in surprise acapella sections at BB-(related) shows...the end of Darlin' was probably the biggest highlight of this kind during C50, end of Hawaii is decent too, and also the way they emphasised the 'COMEE AND DO ITTT' before the final Do it Again chorus.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 10, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »

*I love the way they emphasised the 'COMEE AND DO ITTT' before the final Do it Again chorus.

I did not. Made the whole song sound like it was intended for some kind of TV ad for a cruise package or something.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 10, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »

Nawwwww

[Edit]Consider it in terms of the performance.  First song in the set for major comeback tour; they're announcing their arrival...I found it to work well for the overall progression and flow of the set.

We already know what the song was intended for from the original classic recording, is what I am getting at.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:41:09 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:11 AM »

Thank God - I thought I was the only one. I love the studio version of All I Want To Do and yet all I ever read on here about it is criticism. Mike's vocal kicks ass, and how could anyone not love that cheeky fade?

I always loved the studio version but admit that the live version has more punch - I think it's my favorite MIC track.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »

Nawwwww

[Edit]Consider it in terms of the performance.  First song in the set for major comeback tour; they're announcing their arrival...I found it to work well for the overall progression and flow of the set.

We already know what the song was intended for from the original classic recording, is what I am getting at.

Naw, it's a nice version overall (RoboFoskett can go to Hell, though), I just didn't care for that addition.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »

'Soul Searchin' has easily become one of my favourite BB's vocals.

Incredible song, they sound fantastic on it

Gohi
« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »

Nawwwww

Naw, it's a nice version overall (RoboFoskett can go to Hell, though), I just didn't care for that addition.
RoboGohi love it
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

You would, you little Sprite-drinking POS.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

The a Capella break in Do it Again (live-C50) made it my favorite version. Love that bit, gives it a bit more dynamic range and kicks it into high gear before right before the end.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »

You would, you little Sprite-drinking POS.
Squirt is the balls, Sprite sucks.

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx