gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:24:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 115072 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

Ah yes, would've loved to see "That Special Feelin'" released!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #451 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »

There aren't five songs from Love You, there's four.

Good Time
I'll Bet He's Nice
Solar System
The Night was so Young
Let Us Go on this Way

It's a real shame that they couldn't have included some of the demos from this period or 1 or 2 Adult Child songs instead of the already released stuff.

Yes you're right, my mistake. However I would argue that Good Time is on CD 3 not 4 and is representing the Sunflower sessions rather than the Love You album.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

Good Time
I'll Bet He's Nice
Solar System
The Night was so Young
Let Us Go on this Way

Ah, yes, 'Good Time' is on there too! I knew I had counted five songs from 'Love You' earlier...

Apologies withdrawn.  Grin
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #453 on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »

Good Time
I'll Bet He's Nice
Solar System
The Night was so Young
Let Us Go on this Way

Ah, yes, 'Good Time' is on there too! I knew I had counted five songs from 'Love You' earlier...

Apologies withdrawn.  Grin

Ah, but when you referred to the five Love You songs it was under the heading 'CD 4'. So I think only a partial apology withdrawal is allowed  Cheesy 
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 05, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

Random musing: I love how much more prominent the "Child Is Father of the Man" riff is on the live version of "Little Bird". Also, the chunky rhythm guitar and Dennis' vocal delivery bring out a funkiness in the song that is not present in the studio track. Quite a subtly different, but stirring, reinterpretation.

P.S., that is the weirdest out-of-time non-count-in at the beginning--no wonder Denny didn't come in on the downbeat. Still a great performance despite that flaw.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:27:04 AM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »

What key is california feelin in?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »

What key is california feelin in?

F#/Gb
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:46:07 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »

Okay, with that technically ignored but used, I wanted to incorporate brian's 'Can't you Fell it?' etc into the actual chorus, but the piano in the demo was too overpowering. so I [in classic Freddie style] added it myself on top of the original. Not for the faint of heart

Alt California Feelin' Chorus: https://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/alt-california-feelin-chorus

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »

Nice work Freddie. Oddly enough, your wave sample seems to bear a passing resemblence to a phallus.  Razz
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 05, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »

Nice work Freddie. Oddly enough, your wave sample seems to bear a passing resemblence to a phallus.  Razz

Spose you could say that. Looks painful though

...aaaaaaaaaaaand back to The Beach boys xD Mike's trousers are awfully tight at times, no?   Wink

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »

There aren't five songs from Love You, there's four.

Good Time
I'll Bet He's Nice
Solar System
The Night was so Young
Let Us Go on this Way

It's a real shame that they couldn't have included some of the demos from this period or 1 or 2 Adult Child songs instead of the already released stuff.

I was just thinking "why oh why wouldn't they release Brian's version of Deep Purple?!!!??"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #461 on: September 06, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »

I wouldn't have minded if they'd included one of the upbeat tracks - preferably Life Is For The Living - rather than It's Over Now. Who sings the 'Heaven, heaven is far away' line - it's really horrible!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »

I wouldn't have minded if they'd included one of the upbeat tracks - preferably Life Is For The Living - rather than It's Over Now. Who sings the 'Heaven, heaven is far away' line - it's really horrible!

Marilyn.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »

I found a use for TWGMTR's inclusion - it has decidedly more dynamic range than the album version! Wooo!

And IIT is strangely sped up...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 06, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »

Who sings the 'Heaven, heaven is far away' line - it's really horrible!

Marilyn.

I love that bit!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:55:58 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 06, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »

It's the single version.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 06, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

It's the single version.
It's faster than the single version on 50BigOnes. The YouTube version [Mine] is also a Radio Rip likely sped up incase you were referencing that.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 06, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »

Who sings the 'Heaven, heaven is far away' line - it's really horrible!

Marilyn.

I love that bit!
Me too! Never thought that was a bad part

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 06, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

It's the single version.
It's faster than the single version on 50BigOnes. The YouTube version [Mine] is also a Radio Rip likely sped up incase you were referencing that.

Note: Somewhat strangely, the version on 50 Big Ones wasn't sped-up (even though it was the single version). At the time, only the iTunes version, the CD-single and radio promo single got the speed-up (e.g the BBC, when they debuted the song, probably played it from the latter).
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 06, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »

My box set arrived today from FYE  Grin Love the books although it says that "My Love Lives On" is from 1974. Isn't it a Bambu era track?
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 06, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »

I think they should given a full-disc to 1980 – 2012 and saved the live tracks for a 4 to 5 disc live anthology for release next year. Here's a nice (imo) track-list:

1. Keepin' the summer alive
2. Goin' On
3. Santa Ana Winds (alternate)
4. Da doo run run
5. You are so beautiful (live) {we have to have some Dennis on this disc}
6. Why Don’t They Let Us Fall In Love
7. Getcha Back
8. Where I belong
9. She believes in love again (stripped down version)
10. Male Ego
11. California Dreamin'
12. Rock 'n' roll to the rescue
13. East meets west (or chasin' the sky)
14. Kokomo
15. Somewhere near Japan (single version)
16. Still cruisin'
17. In my car (2012 mix, to tone down some of the production excesses)
18. Lahaina Aloha
19. Under the boardwalk (UK mix)
20. Strange things happen (US mix)
21. Summer in paradise (I don't mind personally which version)
22. Soul Searchin'
23. You’re Still A Mystery
24. Like a brother (not actually beach boys, I know)
25. That's why God made the Radio
26. Isn't it time (single mix)
27. Summer's Gone
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 06, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »

It's the single version.

Note: Somewhat strangely, the version on 50 Big Ones wasn't sped-up (even though it was the single version). At the time, only the iTunes version, the CD-single and radio promo single got the speed-up (e.g the BBC, when they debuted the song, probably played it from the latter).

Yep, there are technically two single mixes/edits. Glad to see the artificially sped up version released on CD for completion's sake although I really don't care for how it sounds.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »

For reasons not interesting enough to explain, I didn't get my box set in my hands until a week after it was released.  No matter since I have it now.  Thought I'd give a few random observations about it:

Disc I - Most of this stuff I already have on other discs.  Didn't give it much attention.  Can't say the "Session Intro" for "Surfers Rule" gave me much interest in wanting to hear it.  Although it was nice to hear the original version of "Back Home".  

Meant For You - One quick listen to the "extended" version is all you need to see why they cut it short.  Yikes.

Susie Cincinnati -  interesting mix but my favorite version of this song is still off Best of the Brother Years.

Good Time - was hoping for that mix with more prominent backing vocals to appear.  Oh well.

(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again - Well here it is.  The song that allegedly cures cancer and psoriasis (at the same time!), and caused many a squabble from the fan nerds on this board finally graces us with its presence.  It's a good song.  I like it.  Deserved to be released sooner than it did.  In any case I'm glad to hear it.  The jazzy ending is a pleasant surprise.  

Rock And Roll Music - Now this is a damn good mix!  Always wondered why the final verse was missing.  Why didn't they just put this thing out to begin with?

Goin' To The Beach - Another tune that deserved to have been released on one of their albums.  If they can put "Santa Ana Winds" out on a record they could do the same with this.

Soul Searchin' / You're Still A Mystery - Really glad these two songs finally got an official release.  Yes, the mix on "Soul Searchin'" is messy - they clearly flew in BW's backing vocals from the GIOMH version.  And that is definitely a different lead vocal on "You're Still A Mystery".  Still, this was an interesting period for the group that I wish they hadn't abandoned.

Love the live tracks.  

Haven't explored Disc 6 too much but I like what I hear so far.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:18:12 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 07, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »

It's a pity they didn't speed up Soul searchin'. It's soooo slow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTUM2pvZfs
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »

It's a pity they didn't speed up Soul searchin'. It's soooo slow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTUM2pvZfs

Can't listen on here, but artificially speeding a whole song up almost never sounds good and always has a kind of nasty quality to it. I'd rather they just left things as they were in cases like this, and the song never sounded too slow, to me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx