gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:27:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 115331 times)
egon spengler
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »

There are so many great moments on this set, but I literally just sat there with my jaw dropped hearing the vocals-only Slip On Through. I knew there were some background vox buried in the verses, but holy mackerel. I've never heard such spooky and unique vocals. Can't get enough.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »

There are so many great moments on this set, but I literally just sat there with my jaw dropped hearing the vocals-only Slip On Through. I knew there were some background vox buried in the verses, but holy mackerel. I've never heard such spooky and unique vocals. Can't get enough.

Yeah, I think I've gained new appreciation for that song (one I've always liked but never one of my favorites) from that mix.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »

Agreed so much.  This was my number one track to look forward to and it did not disappoint.  They were so on top of their game.  They could do anything with their voices.
egon spengler
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »

Also, kinda funny that Al's Back Home doesn't start with "I'm goin' back this summer to Ohio," given that he's the one actually from Ohio.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »

Superduper review  Thumbs Up

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »

So I think I've listened to most of the stuff I was really looking forward to....so I guess I'll throw a review out here of a few things I dig.

*NOTE: long post....so skip if it's lame!

Glad to have both versions of "California Feelin'". I guess now that we have all these versions, it's pretty obvious that 1978 version is the version. The 1974 demo is so rough, but it is very endearing, and it's great to hear Brian still sounding that awesome in 1974. But in no way is it a definitive version. It's him throwing it onto tape to get a demo, and being kind of a cheeseball in the process. I personally feel he mighta been goofing off because he was scared to commit himself to really trying, and possibly failing.

"Where Is She?" was such a nice surprise for me. Not a surprise because it's great, but a surprise that it wasn't as rough as I suspected, and that's it's really a top Brian composition. So very nice, and as I've said before, coulda fit on Today! or Pet Sounds, which is saying something.

As far as Denny's stuff, it's great this his and Rumbo's "Sound Of Free" was included. So glad to have that. It'll be great to have this available to listen to at any time in great quality. Shame that they didn't include Dennis' true version of "Lady" on here instead of that 2009 "Fallin In Love" remix.Obviously "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" is a great inclusion. I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said. Shoulda been on the Surf's Up album though. Woulda made it exponentially better. Imagine an album with "Surf's Up", "'Til I Die", "Feel Flows" and "Live Again". Even if that was the only good material put on there, that's enough for a classic right there. I was also super impressed by "Barnyard Blues". I have to imagine the guy thought of Brian's "Barnyard" while doing this, but regardless it is great and I'm glad we've got it.

Also, I'm glad we got "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery". The presence of The Beach Boys on "Soul Searchin'" proves how much the group just working together takes something decent and makes it great. Brian's solo version of it is the definition of "meh", but this version with the guys doing their thing, it's really made into a great track. With "You're Still A Mystery" I gotta admit that at first I was kinda disappointed in Brian's vocal. But now that I've had some time, I like it. It works. He obviously didn't think that the other vocal worked for whatever reason, and this is the one he chose. Therefore, I'll listen. I would like to know when the vocal was from, if it's just a different take from 1995, or maybe it's a something from the TWGMTR sessions. Who knows if we'll ever figure that out. By the way, I know Alan Boyd rarely posts here anymore, but wouldn't it be neat if he did a chat here one day, and we submitted questions about the set? Might be an idea....

And lastly, the live stuff. Haven't really dug in yet, but I really liked "Runaway", lots of energy there. "Sail On Sailor" is neat, nice to hear Carl in '95 really knockin' this one out of the park. And "Only With You" is great. But the crown jewel of the live stuff, by far, is "Wild Honey". Blondie tears it up vocally, and the band absolutely rocks. This is easily one of my favorite things on the whole set. A mind blowing performance. And then on the flipside, "Summer In Paradise". Sure it's well recorded, well performed, whatever. But what an embarrassing song. I didn't eat dinner 'til late tonight since I was so taken with this set, but when I pulled up to the drive thru window at McDonalds this song was playing, and before the person opened the window I made sure to turn it off. It is just so very embarrassing. I couldn't be caught listening to that crap. I usually don't care, but that song is just too embarassing. The self referential lyrics, Bruce just sounding his wimpiest, ugh...although I can say I do agree with the message. So kudos on that, Doctor Love!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »

"You're Still A Mystery" definitely sounds like a modern Brian vocal.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:15 AM »

That mix of "Graduation Day" blows the previous ones out of the water. I actualy quite like this song now.  Razz
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »

I don't even think this is possible for a number of reasons. It really muddles the sound and there's really no way Brian could have just tossed the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals into it. They may have used a 1966 Brian test mix for the chorus, but it's basically not possible unless Brian went out of his way to partially mix down the tag vocals and insert them into the chorus perfectly.

Furthermore, take the first chorus, place it perfectly in line with the 2nd and invert it and bam - the track and backing vocals are only slightly there with the "Truck drivin' man" vocals and the "Grand Couleee Dam" vocals much more apparent. This basically proves that they used Brian's test edit for both chorii but put the "Truck drivin' man" vocals and the "Grand Couleee Dam" vocals over it. The former is obviously intentional, but the latter? I really doubt it.

Hey, I tried this, that was interesting! I don't think you pull the right conclusions though. If you were right with the assumption they used the same chorus and overdubbed the truck and coulie lyrics, it should phase out more or less completely. It doesn't, but that could be due to compression after mixing, so the more important evidence is that there is some phasing going on, which would not happen if the same chori (if you want to declinate it in Latin) were used.

Then, the grand coulie vocal under the chorus is single tracked and with less reverb than on the tag. And as far as I know, they don't have the multitrack with the isolated vocal tracks, so they couldn't "fly that in", thus, it must be on the test mix. I assume Brian had Mike sing that line on the chorus trying out how that would sound. And when he did the test mix he may not have noticed the fader of that track wasn't all down.

And I love the muddiness. angel

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2013, 01:24:56 AM »

MIC and TSS are really the only major archival releases I've experienced since I became a fan, and I've noticed that I don't always prefer the official versions to the lower quality bootlegs I'm used to listening to. I can't bring myself to delete my booted stereo Country Air for example because I like the little noise at the beginning of it, and this got my wondering, are there any old fogeys here who kept listening to something like Leggo My Ego even after stereo Pet Sounds was released? Just curious.

I actually listened to Leggo My Ego yesterday and it's not something I'll listen to again anytime soon. It's still a decent collection, especially the alternate album they put together, but it's redundant now with the SOT sets and the official box set. I also gave the old Pet Sounds Rehearsals boot a quick listen. Could hardly stand it. I guess we're spoilt.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »

"You're Still A Mystery" definitely sounds like a modern Brian vocal.

Definitely. It's definitely not 1995 (near the beginning, it sounds like a double tracked vocal that could also include the '95 vocal, but that's hard to say). I don't know if it was a Brian lead cut last year, or this  year, or perhaps several years ago or as early as the GIOMH sessions.

The "new" Brian lead isn't quite as troubling as I thought it might be. It definitely highlights the difference between the 1995 Brian voice and that of ten (or 18) years later. His voice sounds smoother, but also a bit more bored. His '95 vocal is very nasaly and kind of whiney, but it has more spark in it somehow.

I still do feel like not using a Brian vocal cut around the same time that that "reunion" took place in '95 kind of kills some of the novelty of it being a "reunion" track. I realize Brian probably cut the original lead in '95 on his own before the BB's came in to do the backing vocals (I guess we don't know a lot about the particulars of those sessions), so it's not neccesarily that they were all in the same room doing all the vocals at once together.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:56:35 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

Listened many, many hours thanks to a Spotify free month premium subscription (my MiC is languishing in California--day 6 now, thanks importscd & DHL). I created a playlist of my favorites so far:

1) Meant for You alternate - I'm a Friends nut so I'll take every extra second I can get--even if it is about ponies
2) Where is She? - with all this new Dennis to fawn over I still find this Brian track trumps all (for me anyway)
3) Fallin' In Love - this one is new to me, like it better than WIBNTLA & American Spring's version on Pet Projects
4) My Love Lives On - excellent lead here, heartbreaking
5 ) WIBNTLA - being new to the Beach Boys I only became aware of this track's legendary status a few weeks before the release of MiC, it is stupendous and doesn't disappoint
6) Rock & Roll Music - 2012 Mix - now I NEVER expected this to be here considering I generally dislike 15BO but this version kicks some serious ass
7) It's OK - Alternate Mix - same comment as above
Cool Barnyard Blues - one of those tracks I love at first listen
9) Soulful Old Man Sunshine - just got exposed to this because I got Endless Harmony just a few months ago, the love affair is still new
10) Why - Instrumental - new favorite instrumental track
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

I've said it a thousand times before. Why they didn't release the "hot" mix of Rock & Roll Music back in '76 is beyond me. At that point the Beatles had released it as a single around that time with the whole song intact and it did well. Even it the "hot" version was just on the single or on the album album or vise versa, it was MUCH better than what they let out.

I've only heard the bootleged version before this (which I assume was recorded from the "Best Summers Of Our Lives" radio special?)

It's great to hear it so clear. Don't remember hearing the "wooo" high part before - was that in this orginally? And Mike on the end. Don't have the boot handy now. And the drums are great all the way through - they seem more prevalent here.  That consistent tap tap tap tap. That Is that Dennis or Ricky? I think maybe Dennis as he was on the released version. Was this the same instrumental track as the released version pretty much or a whole different take? Same with the vocals or no?

I love it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:47:44 PM by zatch » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »

Soaking in the box today. So much stuff to digest. A couple of thoughts and questions:

1) Knowing that he also worked on the track in Oct. of 1977, and even though the credit lists the original session, '74 date, hasn't it been noted that Denny's vocal for My Love Lives On *might* actually date from '77 as well? That is, his voice actually sounds like it's from that era to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and they know for sure that it's from '74.

And...what a monster track. Sounds like the bookend to his life.

2) Good Time is the Love You mix. Considering that they placed it back in its rightful chronological place, I was actually hoping that they might use Desper's original (unreleased) stereo mix. Oh well. Minor gripe. On the other hand, I really would've preferred either the original Desper stereo mix of "Lady" or the original single mono mix to the 2009 reconstruction (I also prefer the other lyrics as well). But...we knew this one was coming...so no surprise here.

3) You're Still A Mystery: If that alternate lead vocal isn't of a more recent vintage than when the other one was recorded, I'll eat my (gluten-free) hat...lol. It also sounds like someone else is mixed in with the falsetto here (Matt? Someone else?) Though, I think I actually prefer these vocals. Nice one from Brian...whenever it was done.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

Since spotify still doesn't have the first disc "Back Home", is it a better mix than the boot? I find on the bootleg the vocal is a little too low in the mix.

Try logging in/logging out and refreshing the page. All of the songs should be up for everybody.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

Since spotify still doesn't have the first disc "Back Home", is it a better mix than the boot? I find on the bootleg the vocal is a little too low in the mix.

It's like hearing it on a regular album. It's fantastic. I never thought we'd hear it this good sonically as people were saying the sub-par quality recording (like the booted version) was all they could find. Subsequently, either they found the master or safe copy or Linett did some tricks to it, but it sounds as good as a released version now. I love it, and I'm very glad it's finally seeing the light of day.

P.S. And I'm glad they could get most of the '70 version of Back Home on here too!!  It's great!  The booted version is already great quality so I'm sure they didn't have to do much tweaking on this one before relese.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:39:50 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
NiekL
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »

Anyone who easily has his/her fun spoiled by people who aren't very enthusiastic, please skip my post :D

Halfway through CD 1 now and I'm not impressed.

The master is sooo freaking loud, on half of the sounds every 'S' sound or snare hit the sound just distorts. It sounds like playing music with the pre-amp way too loud.  Also the stereo imaging is very wide.

The mix of Little Saint Nick is the worst I've heard so far. The sleighbells sound horrible.

I'm at track 26 now and my ears are getting tired from listening to the compression. It feels like i've been wearing headphones for hours.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »

The master is sooo freaking loud, on half of the sounds every 'S' sound or snare hit the sound just distorts.

I noticed this. Kinda sounds like they used a de-esser on a lot of the tracks.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »

Seems like echo has been added to the live tracks I've been listening to on Disk 6. Not sure why or if it's warranted....

They sound great though, just not real natural. 

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

What about the early version of Amusement Parks USA? I love it! The mad laughter by Brian is sorely missed, though. The backing track is one of the craziest things I've ever heard, but so damn good. Especially the organ.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »

Amusement Parks USA has must be the first incident of a cuss word in the BB discography. (Which I never noticed until I heard this mix)  LOL
NiekL
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »

What's with the autotune in Be With Me (Demo). It's so weird

Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again is such a sweet track! It reminds me of Summer's Gone. It has that same dreamy, melancholic feel.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »

Amusement Parks USA has must be the first incident of a cuss word in the BB discography. (Which I never noticed until I heard this mix)  LOL

It's very clear on SOT Vol. 9 (Disc 4) - goes on even longer on the boot than on MIC.  Hal Blaine's finest hour as a carnival barker.  It faded out on the released version. Would have been too risque to include it the full length in 1965.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:40:11 PM by Mikie » Logged

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

Amusement Parks USA has must be the first incident of a cuss word in the BB discography. (Which I never noticed until I heard this mix)  LOL

It's very clear on SOT Vol. 9 (Disc 4) - goes on even longer on the boot than on MIC.  Hal Blaine's finest hour as a carnival barker.  It faded out on the released version. Probably would have been too risque to include it full lenth in 1965.

Don't say puss

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx