gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:08:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 114550 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »

Weird stuff going on in the 1995 sessions tracks. It does indeed sound like a different BW lead on You're Still a Mystery. Oddly enough, it may be doubled with the original vocal. Something peculiar going on, though, and the track suffers from the softer lead. Something about Brian's hard-edged original approach really works with the song.

As for Soul Searchin,' it sounds like there are some new layers of backing vocals in places, and someone is singing along with Carl in the bridge. Can't tell if it's Brian, Paley, or a really shoddy attempt at double tracking. I like the extra backing vox, but the bridge change is bizarre, given that it was Carl's last great recorded moment on a BB song ... but then, oh well.

The backing tracks, though, seem to be the same everyone is familiar with. And now everyone can play along and note that BW simply reused the Soul Searchin' backing track for GIOMH, along with some hamfisted Mertens overdubs.

Bleccchhh.... I will of course reserve judgment until I hear the tracks, but these were two of the songs I was most looking forward to hearing in improved sound quality. The circulating recordings certainly sound okay (though most versions run too fast; which I've gotten used to and thus the version of "Soul Searchin'" on GIOMH sounded too slow!), but I figured these tracks would be left in tact, especially since we already got a Frankenstein'ed version of "Soul Searchin"" on Brian's album, seemingly leaving the "original" version as the only one worth trying to release at this stage.

I do recall reading somewhere years ago that the version of "Soul Searchin" that we've heard for years that had been prepped by grafting Carl's lead and group backing vocals onto the Paley backing track was one that was "unfinished" in that not all of the group backing vocals had been carried over for whatever reason. So perhaps almost 20 years later they were able to grab all of those backing vocals and mix them onto that earlier backing track more easily with ProTools and whatnot. Most disappointing is the possibility that they f-ed with Carl's bridge lead again. Who is obsessed with covering the most amazing lead vocal lines on Carl's last great vocal peformance?

If Brian's lead on "You're Still a Mystery" has been futzed with, my best guess would be that Brian and/or his camp didn't want to release it as-is; I would have to guess the compilers would have preferred to leave these two tracks as-is. I'm still guessing some new overdubs and some of the track selection was down to the politics of involving the group members. I can't imagine why else we'd get alternate mixes of stuff like "It's OK" for any other reason.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »

Oddly, I think "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" is my favorite track on the whole set (aside from WIBNTLA and MLLO). It has an energy and passion to it that I love.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »

Random Thought: Summer in Paradise opening sound like the theme tune to an Aaron Spelling teen tv show

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »

Also, the chord progression to 'Why' is utterly amazing. Totally classic BW.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »

Brian's vocal during the second verse of the acappella 'This Whole World' makes me curious if there's a complete Brian lead somewhere in the vaults, either as a demo or as a serious consideration that got scrapped in favor of Carl.

Also, I do enjoy the fact that they dropped in his lead for the first few verses of "Break Away" - a nice little treat for someone who'd be expecting the standard track, even if it's nothing new. Lots of little goodies abound for the people who are deeply into the BB's.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:16:40 AM by Curtis Leon » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »

EDIT: NO.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:16:45 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

Also, amid a lot of people giving the '74 "California Feelin'" a hard time, I wanted to state that I appreciate the f*** out of its inclusion, here. It's proof positive that the folks over there are paying attention to what we really want, and I'm sure it was tough to get past some people.

Even if some are disappointed by it, I find it absolutely fascinating. A really interesting documentation of Brian's "in between" voice in a way we haven't really ever heard before. It sounds much closer to his early 70s self than I would have thought given the descriptions, but jeez, there really are lots of moments there where you can tell he's overall on the verge of the change. Even if he is dicking around, I love the performance. Probably not my definitive version, but I love and, again, really really appreciate options with songs I love. Multiple versions of something you enjoy is never a bad thing.

Nice job, guys ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Weird stuff going on in the 1995 sessions tracks. It does indeed sound like a different BW lead on You're Still a Mystery. Oddly enough, it may be doubled with the original vocal. Something peculiar going on, though, and the track suffers from the softer lead. Something about Brian's hard-edged original approach really works with the song.

As for Soul Searchin,' it sounds like there are some new layers of backing vocals in places, and someone is singing along with Carl in the bridge. Can't tell if it's Brian, Paley, or a really shoddy attempt at double tracking. I like the extra backing vox, but the bridge change is bizarre, given that it was Carl's last great recorded moment on a BB song ... but then, oh well.

The backing tracks, though, seem to be the same everyone is familiar with. And now everyone can play along and note that BW simply reused the Soul Searchin' backing track for GIOMH, along with some hamfisted Mertens overdubs.

Bleccchhh.... I will of course reserve judgment until I hear the tracks, but these were two of the songs I was most looking forward to hearing in improved sound quality. The circulating recordings certainly sound okay (though most versions run too fast; which I've gotten used to and thus the version of "Soul Searchin'" on GIOMH sounded too slow!), but I figured these tracks would be left in tact, especially since we already got a Frankenstein'ed version of "Soul Searchin"" on Brian's album, seemingly leaving the "original" version as the only one worth trying to release at this stage.

I do recall reading somewhere years ago that the version of "Soul Searchin" that we've heard for years that had been prepped by grafting Carl's lead and group backing vocals onto the Paley backing track was one that was "unfinished" in that not all of the group backing vocals had been carried over for whatever reason. So perhaps almost 20 years later they were able to grab all of those backing vocals and mix them onto that earlier backing track more easily with ProTools and whatnot. Most disappointing is the possibility that they f-ed with Carl's bridge lead again. Who is obsessed with covering the most amazing lead vocal lines on Carl's last great vocal peformance?

If Brian's lead on "You're Still a Mystery" has been futzed with, my best guess would be that Brian and/or his camp didn't want to release it as-is; I would have to guess the compilers would have preferred to leave these two tracks as-is. I'm still guessing some new overdubs and some of the track selection was down to the politics of involving the group members. I can't imagine why else we'd get alternate mixes of stuff like "It's OK" for any other reason.

Don't fret, kid - they're still great versions. I'm honestly not sure why Brian's lead isn't as it is on the booted version, hopefully we find out.

Also, I felt like the alternate mixes on the set were simply to give a different perspective on a song and less to do with band politics. I really like and appreciate them and, in the case of "Rock And Roll Music", holy shit - it does justice to the song in a way I didn't think possible. I don't mean to come down on the original, I've always liked it, but this one feels just right.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

Sorry for the multiple posts, but varied thoughts:

It's so, so frigging nice to hear "It's Over Now" done some justice. Right speed, better mix. God, what a beautiful song.

I'll get the "bad" stuff out of the way now: I don't get why the error in the 2011 mono "Cabin Essence" again went unfixed (for a third time) or they didn't just go with the original stereo mix. The digital editing clicks on the stereo Smile version of "Wind Chimes" are still there (and are easily fixed). The digital processing on the vocal of "You're Still A Mystery" is more than I care for, but I'm happy with the song finally being released and it's still a good version.

I can't find anyone else saying it, and maybe my chronology is off here, but is it me, or was the melody Brian sings at the end of the alt "Don't Worry Baby" used for "Little Saint Nick"?

Glad they included the unused "Our Sweet Love" vocals.

The new mixes of "Susie Cincinnati" and "Rock And Roll Music" are just so well done. I'm generally not one of those people who say "The new mix really made me like it more", but shoot, in this case, they really did.

The partial Brian lead on "This Whole World" is indeed interesting and makes me wonder if a full Brian lead exists. I'd love to hear it even if it's seemingly not as good as Carl's attempt. "Good" feels stupid in this case - yes, less competent, but like Brian's scratch vocal for "Break Away" or even his unused first verse attempt, it just brings something else to the table. So cool. Would love to hear it if a full version exists.

I know some will probably disregard it, but the "Transcendental Meditation" instrumental just amuses the heck out of me. I just picture Brian guiding the folks on the track from the board but then laughing his ass off as he listens to "BWAAHHH. BWAH-NAH-NAH. BWAAAH" over and over. It has a spirit to it that Brian would go for full force on some of the stuff in the mid-70s. Always loved this song, I really appreciate the instrumental version seeing release (same goes for "Don't Go Near The Water"). An a capella with its 93 stack-o-Brians would be really cool to hear, too.

"Had To Phone Ya" instrumental is beautiful as always. I'd love to hear a full remix closer to this, bringing out some of the elements that were buried in the original mix, with vocals and the drum track.

The "Slip On Through" acapella is a really cool listen. Nothing unexpected or that I couldn't pick out of the original, but hearing everything in greater clarity makes me appreciate Denny as an arranger even more.

"Where Is She?" is a huge highlight. It really feels like Brian tapping into the same feel as he'd done with "Don't Talk" three years prior, but it's definitely its own song. One of Brian's most vulnerable vocals, it was a little unnerving and got me choked up the first day I heard it. It still kind of does. Classic Brian Wilson, I can't believe he never pursued it further or revived it during the many vault raids for material during his solo career. Love it.

The 1970 "Back Home" has a really cool groove to it that I somehow never heard on the booted versions. I don't think I'll come to appreciate it more than the 15 Big Ones version, but shoot, such a nice rendition. Glad it's hear, can't wait to hear the '63 version in greater clarity.

"Do It Again" stereo is very tastefully done. Feels just like the mono mix, but in stereo. I don't know if I'd ever heard the horns before, somehow. Nicely done. As a sidenote (not a criticism), the "woodshop" sounds and talking before the vocals aren't here, but I'm sure both were intentional. The former is easily inserted in nowadays if one so desires given it was released on The Smile Sessions. Anyway, again, just thought it was worth mentioning, nothing more. Also, the "Get together and s-do it again" is there! I know there's a tendency to clean up old,noticeable edts like this on new mixes, but I can't say I ever mind things like this staying in a remix. They're part of the original released versions and if they survive in later mixes, cool. If they're fixed, that's cool, too.

"I Believe In Miracles" is cool to hear with this kind of clarity, although I'm wondering why the track and later vocals weren't included in full.

The "Sherry She Needs Me" backing vocal fly-ins are great! You expect this sort of thing from fan mixes but rarely see them on proper releases. A little spooky to hear '76 Brian the whole song and then hear '65 Brian come in at the end (as it was with the booted version with Brian's studio comments at the very end). Glad this version finally saw release, it deserved it and, under different circumstances, absolutely deserved to be a classic on the Summer Days or Pet Sounds albums.

I really "Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love?" Brian's vocal sounds like a scratch vocal, but I'll be darned if it doesn't have a world of charm on it. Very interesting to hear something new from these sessions. Not the strongest material on the box, but darn it, I like it and would rather have heard it than not. Like the "California Feelin'" demo, I really appreciate the inclusion of something like this that is a little rougher around the edges - not everyone can appreciate something like this, but darn it, there are plenty of us who do.

"Why?" is right out of the same book as "Summer Means New Love", "That's Why God Made The Radio", "Good Timin'" etc. Frustratingly incomplete, but even as an instrumental is a really enjoyable experience.

I'm so glad "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" have finally been released. Breaks my heart that the 95/96 album never came to be, as these two songs are miles ahead of much of the stuff they'd done since 1980 or so and especially better than Summer In Paradise. They've certainly aged much better.

Speaking of "Summer In Paradise" (the song), while I'm not a fan of that album, I'm glad to see its existence acknowledged here in the form of what I've heard is a much more tasteful live version (I haven't heard it yet). It's part of your past, you don't have to stand by it but acting like it doesn't exist is lame

I haven't heard much of the live stuff sans what's been posted for promotional purposes. Looking forward to it.

Overall, all new and exclusive tracks/versions/etc. are really well done. "Really nice jerb, fellers" feels like an understatement, but it's about the best I can do and I'm really looking forward to seeing the book, which looks awesome from the few pictures I've seen. Love for The Beach Boys = affirmed. ^_________________^
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:15:19 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »

For those non-US residents looking for an alternative to stream MIC without Spotify (creating an account is free):
http://www.musicme.com/#/The-Beach-Boys/?cdfocus=0602537474714&q=beach+boys+made+in+california

Enjoy! Smiley
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »

For those non-US residents looking for an alternative to stream MIC without Spotify (creating an account is free):
http://www.musicme.com/#/The-Beach-Boys/?cdfocus=0602537474714&q=beach+boys+made+in+california

Enjoy! Smiley

Samples! Yay!

This will hold me off until tomorrow.

Edit: Oh, it's more! Ahhhhh! Thanks so much. Will be writing up my impressions as I listen.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:11:06 PM by Wrightfan » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »

"Sherry she needs me" is funny at the end with the 1965 BBs and BW singing with 1976 Brian!!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

"Sherry she needs me" is funny at the end with the 1965 BBs and BW singing with 1976 Brian!!! LOL

Yeah! I felt like I was doing the TIme Warp!  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »

Or 1976 Brian went back to give the BBs a warning of the future.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »

Ok, impressions of the new stuff:

Disc 1:

-Home Recordings / "Surfin'" Rehearsal Highlights (2012 Edit - Mono): It's in better quality but it's the same as Hawthorne with the exception of California Feeling vocals.
-"Surfin'" (with Session Intro - Mono): Same as above. Just remastered.
-"Lonely sea (original mono long version)" (The Beach Boys): Has a slate at the beginning. Brian sorta cracks up at the end
-"Surfers Rule" (with Session Intro) (B. Wilson, Love): Pretty cool session intro. I can see why Murry got unbearable after awhile.
-"Back Home" (B. Wilson, Bob Norberg): Only 30 seconds so far. Guess I'll hear the full thing tomorrow. The sample indicates clearer quality and it is in stereo.
-"Why do fools fall in love (2009 stereo mix/remaster/2012)" ): As AGD said, there's no intro so it's presented more like the actual single in stereo.
-"I Get Around" (with Session Intro - Mono) (B. Wilson, Love): Cool to hear Brian directing the band on playing the song.

Disc 2:
-"Amusement Parks USA" (Early Version) (B. Wilson, Love): Different phrasing on the vocals. Pretty much the same track. The lyrics are also rougher and somewhat different. Like the released version better. No dialogue during the middle as well.
-"Graduation Day" (Session Excerpt and Master Take, 2012 Mix): More of a session excerpt then the original. Has a tambourine which is dropped quick. First take displayed here has a more "ballady" feel. Has more punch to it then the twofer version.
-"There's No Other (Like My Baby)" (2012 "Unplugged" Mix with Party Session Intro): Some absolutely hillarious banter here. The band is having a TON of fun. The way they played a bit Ticket to Ride reminds me of Sloop at times. It then lunches into the song without the overdubs. Would kill to hear the whole album without overdubs.
-"Our Prayer" (2012 The Smile Sessions Stereo Mix) (B. Wilson): Just the 20/20 version albeit mixed a bit differently I believe. Slightly out of balance at the beginning.
-"Vega-Tables" (The Smile Sessions Stereo Mix) (B. Wilson, Parks): Good to have this on a format other then vinyl.
-"Wind Chimes" (The Smile Sessions Stereo Mix) (B. Wilson): Ditto, although it's the mono SMiLE sessions version here for some odd reason.
-"Country Air" (2012 Stereo Mix) (B. Wilson, Love): Goosebumps here. AGD was right, this is beautiful. Vocals are much easier to hear as well. I want this whole album in stereo so badly!

Disc 3:
-"Meant for You" (Alternate Version) (B. Wilson, Love): Wow, this was a revelation. No intro. Didn't expect the alternate lyrics to be sung over the backing vocals. This is SOOOOOO much better than what they went with.
-"Sail Plane Song" (2012 Stereo Mix) (B. Wilson): Countdown at the beginning. Piano is trippier. Vocals have some panning and works really well at the end. The tag is BREATHTAKING. A big improvement.
-"We're Together Again" (2012 Stereo Mix): Sounds so much better in stereo. The string overdub is mixed so much better then what the boot had. Longer ending as well. Great production.
-"Do It Again" (2012 Stereo Mix) (B. Wilson, Love): Absolutely beautiful in stereo. I think I still like in mono better but this is great too. Love those horns that kick in early. Never noticed that before.
-"Susie Cincinnati" (2012 Mix) (Jardine): The car sound is now in the beginning. The mix is MUCH MORE LIVELIER, hot damn! Vocals are much clearer too. This song kicks ass. The other versions can go screw themselves. Oh and the vocals on the tag are amazing. I can go on and on. This is one of my early favorites so far.
-"Fallin' in Love" (2009 Stereo Mix) (D. Wilson):
-"Sound of Free" (Mono Single Version) (D. Wilson, Love): So nice to hear this in better quality.

Disc 4:
-"(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" (D. Wilson, Stan Shapiro): Already heard this and noted in the WIBNTLA thread. Beautiful song.
-"Rock and Roll Music" (2012 Mix w/Extra Verse): This is...well, rocking  LOL . Why oh why did they not do this version.
-"It's OK" (Alternate Mix) (B. Wilson, Love): Interesting little intro at the beginning. Sounds more restrained. I prefer the released version but still an interesting version.
-"It's Over Now" (Alternate Mix) (B. Wilson): Oh yeah...this is awesome. More audible instruments. Kicks ass 100% more. Can believe this sat in the can for so long.
-"California Feelin'" (B. Wilson, Kalinich): Already gave me thoughts. Still awesome as when I heard it via Tongal.
-"Brian's Back" (Alternate Mix) (Love): Definitely a different vocal take from Endless Harmony. Shorter. While it's not the best, I still kinda like it. This version is better than the previous.
-"It's a Beautiful Day" (Single Edit) (2012 Mix) (Jardine, Love): Good to hear this in great quality. Never heard the full song until now so I can't tell how different the mix is from the original. Very catchy.
-"Goin' to the Beach" (Love): Already gave my though. Catchy, better than most of the songs on KTSA. New parts fit well.

Disc 5:
-"Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love" (Spector, Barry, Greenwich): Really cool sounding cover.
-"Da Doo Ron Ron" (Spector, Barry, Greenwich): Nice cover by Carl. Again, THIS gets left off of KTSA over School Day?
-"Soul Searchin'" (B. Wilson, Andy Paley): First time ever hearing this song. A really nice vocal with one of his best later vocals.
-"You're Still a Mystery" (B. Wilson, Paley): First time ever hearing this song. Really is a throwback to Pet Sounds. Pretty unique from a lot of other Brian written songs though.

I'll post my thoughts on the others songs at a later time. Just gotta relax and enjoy the rest Cool
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »

The new "Our Prayer" stereo mix is all 1966, none of the 20/20 overdubs. Nice to have for stereo Smile fanmixers who like to keep it as close as they can to the originals (but I like them overdubs, darn it).

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »

The new "Our Prayer" stereo mix is all 1966, none of the 20/20 overdubs. Nice to have for stereo Smile fanmixers who like to keep it as close as they can to the originals (but I like them overdubs, darn it).

Thanks.

Disc 6 can summed up in one word...WOW  Shocked So many quality tracks.

That California Feelin' demo is a crack up.  LOL It's even more enjoyable then I had hoped.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

Is it me or is Fun,Fun,Fun a remix? I can hear the horns now, wow!
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »

Looks like they found more multis, Warmth of The Sun has Stereo Background Vocals, holy cow!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »

I don't know if this makes me crazy, but I have to say that while I love the 20/20 version of "Our Prayer", the SMiLE version just doesn't do it for me. I know the only difference is some more vocal overdubs, but gosh, what a difference they make. For some reason, they just make it SO much better.
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »

The stuff I like most is the new Denny music.
WIBNTLA obviously, but also the live version of Little Bird. Anyone know who played the banjo?

And two more goosebump-moments: The demo of Be with me and the song My love lives on, which I had never heard of before. Those are two killer songs for me!

MBE
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »

The stuff I like most is the new Denny music.
WIBNTLA obviously, but also the live version of Little Bird. Anyone know who played the banjo?

And two more goosebump-moments: The demo of Be with me and the song My love lives on, which I had never heard of before. Those are two killer songs for me!
Barnyard Blues is cool too. I didn't expect two 1974 Dennis leads. I wonder who is with him on Barnyard Blues?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »

Is it me or is Fun,Fun,Fun a remix? I can hear the horns now, wow!

I'd say it is because the tag is longer here and ruined on the Britz stereo mix.

Barnyard Blues is cool too. I didn't expect two 1974 Dennis leads. I wonder who is with him on Barnyard Blues?

According to the book, Carl and Ricky.

-"There's No Other (Like My Baby)" (2012 "Unplugged" Mix with Party Session Intro): Some absolutely hillarious banter here. The band is having a TON of fun. The way they played a bit Ticket to Ride reminds me of Sloop at times.
-"Susie Cincinnati" (2012 Mix) (Jardine): The car sound is now in the beginning. The mix is MUCH MORE LIVELIER, hot damn! Vocals are much clearer too. This song kicks ass. The other versions can go screw themselves. Oh and the vocals on the tag are amazing. I can go on and on. This is one of my early favorites so far.
-"Soul Searchin'" (B. Wilson, Andy Paley): First time ever hearing this song. A really nice vocal with one of his best later vocals.
-"You're Still a Mystery" (B. Wilson, Paley): First time ever hearing this song. Really is a throwback to Pet Sounds. Pretty unique from a lot of other Brian written songs though.

There's No Other: Before the vocals kicked in, I thought it WAS Sloop - so Brian lifted that riff off a Beatles tag! Smiley

Susie: I always was a fan of this song. The 1970 single version also had the car sound at the beginning, which I don't prefer. My favorite mix is still the "Landlocked" one, but this one is done well, albeit not an improvement like on R'n'R Music.

Soul Searchin'/Mystery: If you really never heard these songs, you must get the whole Paley sessions. There are EVEN BETTER tunes than these two there.

I'll get the "bad" stuff out of the way now: I don't get why the error in the 2011 mono "Cabin Essence" again went unfixed (for a third time)

Would you please so kind and remember me what that error was? I don't remember, and I don't hear it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »

The click is the sound of the NR kicking in.
If you're listening on good speakers you should be able to hear it.

A discipline daddy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:58 PM »

The click is the sound of the NR kicking in.
If you're listening on good speakers you should be able to hear it.

Thank you, but which second is it?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx