gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:03:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 114530 times)
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 30, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

You should read the comments about the set posted on the Beach Boys' facebook page.  All negative...dealing with price, rebuying the same material, and calling Mike Love the Beach Boys' Yoko Ono.  Yes, the price is high, but I think it would be worth having if it moves under $100.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: August 30, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »

This set has amazing music on it, no question. I'll even say hearing "Surfin' USA" for the millionth time can't be qualified as a bad thing in any way. But I don't think this set is above criticism. It just needs the right context. It also needs to be not targeted at anyone in particular in most cases. We just simply don't know if "Solar System" or "Da Doo Ron Ron" (neither of which I dislike) made the cut while Adult Child stuff (or fill in the name of whatever you think should have been included) didn't because of the compilers or the actual BB's choice, or sway. That is, for example, I'd guess the live take of "Summer in Paradise" was either Mike Love's choice, or it was picked by the compilers to get Mike to warm to the project. Had the compilers had total control, I doubt we would have seen that particular cut.

On the other hand, was it the compilers who felt the need to put the "Smile" vocal montage on there? It's amazing, but it takes up 10% of the disc, every hardcore fan has it, and new "novice" fans could have easily been just as well served by some other impressive vocal bits that could have been included that hardcore fans also don't have.

Also, the vocals-only mixes of "This Whole World" and "Slip on Through" prove clearly that we need vocals-only mixes of a ton of BB tracks. They would be the perfect "filler" for deluxe versions of album reissues that don't have a ton of otherwise previously unreleased material.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »

I don't really know how people who bought 50 Big Ones could justify Capitols move to turn a rarities set into yet another fleshed out greatest hits.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 30, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »

You should read the comments about the set posted on the Beach Boys' facebook page.  All negative...dealing with price, rebuying the same material, and calling Mike Love the Beach Boys' Yoko Ono.  Yes, the price is high, but I think it would be worth having if it moves under $100.

You're right...I went over to check it out and all the Mike Love hate is despicable.  Some ignorant "fans" out there.
Paulos
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »

I don't really know how people who bought 50 Big Ones could justify Capitols move to turn a rarities set into yet another fleshed out greatest hits.

What rarities set?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 30, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »

Bruce's vocal on Disney Girls sounds really strange....

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »

Guyz, this isn't the "hot mix" of "Rock And Roll Music", it was done recently, nor was there ever a hot mix of "It's OK". Just wanted to clarify as I've seen a lot of folks make the mistake.

Also, much prefer the original mix of "It's OK". "Rock And Roll Music" gained a lot of life here, "It's OK" lost some. But hay, it is interesting and I'm glad to have it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: August 30, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »

The "It's OK" mix is not new -- it's a '76 alternate mix for those that didn't note that.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 30, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »

The "It's OK" mix is not new -- it's a '76 alternate mix for those that didn't note that.

I JUST WANTED TO SAY I KNEW THAT. I'M NOT A DUMMY, SEE "nor was there ever" Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: August 30, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »

This was never, ever pitched to anyone as a rarities set: all along, it's been referred to, and rightly, as a career-spanning box set.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 30, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

This was never, ever pitched to anyone as a rarities set: all along, it's been referred to, and rightly, as a career-spanning box set.
This has been mentioned so many times over the past year. Is there a mental block going on in here?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 30, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »

I've just heard some MIC tracks on mp3 files and I like very much what I've heard. Now granted, this is on mid-fi PC speakers and listening on the main system here could be more revealing sonically. Especially listening to the actual CDs when they arrive but for now I am majestically happy with MIC. 

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 30, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I think they've done a good job with this set, but I would love a vinyl version. Probably would need to be truncated which would be fine if all the rarities were included. I think they've missed a trick with no vinyl, but maybe that's just the musings of a man currently lacking a CD player.

I cast doubts previously on the alternate Meant For You. Please forgive me - It is quite perfect.

Wow, so many cool new mixes on this collection that I'm hearing a lot of stuff that I never noticed before. I also prefer the sequencing of the 64/65 stuff over the GV box.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »

I'm perfectly happy with the box set. I just want more...MORE...

MORE!!!  
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 30, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »

MORE!!!  

Same.

MIC is nice and everything but I hope it's not the final rarities collection that sees the light of day..

So much more should be released but I'm not holding my breath

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »

On a whim tonight I decided to switch out  Beaches In Mind with Soul Searching and Bill and Sue with You're Still A Mystery (following the vinyl track order) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they gel into TWGMTR really nicely. Now if I can just figure out a way to place MY Love Lives On, it will be whole (for me).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 30, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »

I have just discovered "Sound of Free" for the first time ever and already I've played it 5 times in a row.

... and this, gentlemen, is why this set is pretty much above criticism.  People will learn... people will discover.  Smiley

Absolutely.  For a relatively "new" (compared to everyone here at least!) fan like myself this set just keeps on giving.  I had never heard "It's A Beautiful Day" before and that was another one that blew me out.  Couple that with the alternate takes ("Meant For You") and the instrumental only tracks like "Don't Go Near The Water"...I have been in love with this set.  I'm taking my time absorbing each disk.

Okay onto playing "Sound of Free" a few more times...
It's nice to see It's a Beautiful Day get its due…makes me feel a little better for owning two copies of the Americathon soundtrack

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 30, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »

MORE!!!  

Same.

MIC is nice and everything but I hope it's not the final rarities collection that sees the light of day..

So much more should be released but I'm not holding my breath
I know the demo of BW from the 70s singing  In the Back of My Mind is considered the holy grail right now.…but what's left to release? (Not saying there isnt anything or i dont have hope)What tracks do you want to see the light of day?

I'm just afraid we'll get a statement like George Martin once said about the Beatles Anthology: "scraping the bottom of the barrell." Oh well, maybe BeachBoysCentral is on it's way!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »

My Solution, Carry Me Home, I've Got A Friend and Awake are a few that desperately need to be released. It's a shame non of these made the set.
MBE
« Reply #344 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I think they've done a good job with this set, but I would love a vinyl version. Probably would need to be truncated which would be fine if all the rarities were included. I think they've missed a trick with no vinyl, but maybe that's just the musings of a man currently lacking a CD player.

I cast doubts previously on the alternate Meant For You. Please forgive me - It is quite perfect.

Wow, so many cool new mixes on this collection that I'm hearing a lot of stuff that I never noticed before. I also prefer the sequencing of the 64/65 stuff over the GV box.

Agreed! Way too many CD only releases. WIBNTLA and Where Is She needs to be a RSD 45.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 30, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »

This has been mentioned so many times over the past year. Is there a mental block going on in here?
LMAO! And I suppose I told you I was massaging your prostrate rather than fucking you up the ass, you'd believe that, too?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 31, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »

Same. Holy sh*t, I was really like "I'm sure it'll be cool, but it can't beat the final". Come to find out, it IS the final, just longer and surprisingly all the better for it. These guys gotta get there "alternate version" versus "alternate mix" or "alternate vocal" or something straightened out on releases.

Anyway, yeah. Was driving yesterday listening to an old set of Beach Boys mixes I made a couple years ago. "Meant For You" came on, faded and I said "baaaaww" and sang the pony/puppy lines myself. ;(

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 31, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »

Agreed! Way too many CD only releases. WIBNTLA and Where Is She needs to be a RSD 45.

Oooooh, Yeah!!!!!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 31, 2013, 01:24:50 AM »

LMAO! And I suppose I told you I was massaging your prostrate rather than fucking you up the ass, you'd believe that, too?

as if Murry himself were in the room saying it...
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: August 31, 2013, 01:43:32 AM »

I put all of the new tracks from MIC on a playlist and placed them in chronological order.  It flows pretty well and it's almost like having another Hawthorne (with more of an emphasis on the Brother years). 

I really wish they could put out a new rarities set every two years or so without the need to release the same hits over and over again.  I can understand wanting to update the GV box but I hope this is the last time I have to buy Kokomo. Sad
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx