gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:47:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 72727 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »

Man, can you imagine if the C50 backing band had performed this live, with Dennis's voice on top of everything?  Grin The place would have gone nuts!! They could have dimmed the lights so the only thing you saw was a montage of pictures of Dennis? Or maybe they could have put the spotlight on Dave for the guitar solo.

Had that happened, I wouldn't be here now. I would have exploded with sheer joy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:09:24 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »

I have literally been listening to this recording for about an hour, non stop.  Grin Each listen is better than the last.  Smiley

But it makes knowing what Dennis's fate was that much more heartbreaking.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:59 AM »

OK,so what I can't get my head around is after Dennis had a year or so to calm down, why on earth did he not put this on C&TP? Imagine if this had replaced the dire 'Make it Good'. Cuddle Up and WIBNTLA together on one side would have been epic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:50 AM »

Very good song, would've been a welcome addition to Surf's Up. The arrangement is notably different from what I expected, much more "down to earth".

I agree with everyone that it is downright weird how this song could stay in the vaults for so long. The guy did this song at age 26, right? And now we're getting to hear it a mere 30 years after his passing. That's crazy.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:57 AM »

I listened to it earlier but have been fighting a cold so am just getting around to putting my thoughts up here now.  Obviously, it's fantastic and anyone who disagrees has no right calling themself a Beach Boys fan.  It's funny to finally hear something you've been waiting to hear.  Once we knew it was coming I started reading some of the descriptions from those who heard it and while those descriptions are spot on, it didn't sound like I imagined it would, based on those same dead on description.  I don't really know what I was expecting but it somehow exceeded and fell just a bit short of my expectations.   Huh

I'm not really of a fan of Dennis's stuff on So Tough! but I like very close to all of his tracks on 20/20, Sunflower, and Holland, as well as "4th Of July" and most of his solo stuff.  Although it makes total sense, I didn't expect the similarity to "Cuddle Up", slight that it is.  I'm happy that it's completely fleshed out and realized and the vocal is amazing.  But as great as it is (and it IS great) I still favor "Forever".  My one minor problem with Dennis's stuff is his occasional "melodramatic tendencies" and while that raw emotion totally works on this track (and many others), I find "Forever" to be an easier listen with a more universal message.  The other thing that gives "Forever" the edge with me is the backing vocals.  People have said Adam's version has a slightly more "Beach Boys-y" backing vocals and I think it would have helped soften this song's edge.  Still, don't get me wrong.  This song is an absolute masterpiece and I'm so happy we and everyone else can finally enjoy it.  It's an absolute crime that it languished in the vaults for so long and that Dennis isn't around to finally hear its well deserved accolades.  Cry

I'm also happy to finally have the complete 1971 Landlocked album.  (That album couldn't be called Surf's Up because everyone knows that song was on the album they released in early 1967. Grin )
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:59 AM »

OK, from the horse's mouth, or as close as - the guitar was on the original 16-track, and no autotune. Guess you either believe me on this one, or you don't.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2013, 01:48:34 AM »

I think when the guitar part kicks in is the highlight of the song. Says more in a few notes than what a hundred notes ever could.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »

Wow - well, that was pretty spectacular... Doesn't resemble Cuddle Up to me, although definite shades of Holy Christmas. This would've guaranteed Surf's Up a place in any top 5 BB album list. What were they thinking leaving this unreleased? Dennis, you mad but insanely talented fool!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2013, 02:47:52 AM »

Obviously, it's fantastic and anyone who disagrees has no right calling themself a Beach Boys fan.

I disagree. I like it, I'd never skip it, but it's not fantastic. Dennis did much better. Maybe it'll grow on me

Can I still call myself a Beach Boys fan? Pleeeaaaassseeeee?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »

Majestic. Made my day.

Some people here seem to have had a serious taste bypass.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:38 AM »

Obviously, it's fantastic and anyone who disagrees has no right calling themself a Beach Boys fan.

I disagree. I like it, I'd never skip it, but it's not fantastic. Dennis did much better. Maybe it'll grow on me

Can I still call myself a Beach Boys fan? Pleeeaaaassseeeee?

Ummmmmmmmmmm...

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

No.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2013, 02:52:59 AM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself

Glad to see this idiot has revealed himself for the short-tempered troll buffoon he is...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2013, 02:55:26 AM »

The Boys have had their share of dumb decisions but not releasing this song back in the day really takes the cake

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2013, 02:55:36 AM »

Majestic. Made my day.

Some people here seem to have had a serious taste bypass.

And it begins LOL

Here's m y counter volley....

Luckily I have faith in my own tastes and don't just blindly follow the crowd.

Your turn

Yawn......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2013, 02:57:20 AM »

The Boys have had their share of dumb decisions but not releasing this song back in the day really takes the cake

That particular decision was taken, and effected by one Wilson, Dennis Carl.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2013, 02:59:06 AM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself

Glad to see this idiot has revealed himself for the short-tempered troll buffoon he is...

That's not trolling, that's just low-grade cussin'. Should be an interesting time six days hence...  Roll Eyes

Nicko1234
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2013, 03:00:35 AM »

That particular decision was taken, and effected by one Wilson, Dennis Carl.  Grin

Not to mention that he could have released it at any time over the following 12 years...
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »

It's absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to hear more but i've had to purposely stop myself from listening to it. I don't want to burn myself out on it before I actually get the boxset! Wink I will say this this might just be Dennis's crowning moment in the BB's. Including this over Student Demonstration Time would have made Surf's Up comparable to Sunflower or hell even Today! In classic status.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:03:11 AM by SamMcK » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »

Dumb angel I say...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »

WIBNTLA...Wow...Just Wow !!!
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2013, 04:00:11 AM »

How the hell could they keep stuff like WIBNTLA in the vaults and not issue it until now. Compare this with another popular band called The Beatles. What did they pull out of their archives for the Anthology series? Subpar material such as You Know What To Do, If You've Got Trouble, 12-Bar Original and Los Paranoias...

Conclusion: The Beach Boys are better than the Beatles.  Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2013, 04:17:03 AM »

How the hell could they keep stuff like WIBNTLA in the vaults and not issue it until now. Compare this with another popular band called The Beatles. What did they pull out of their archives for the Anthology series? Subpar material such as You Know What To Do, If You've Got Trouble, 12-Bar Original and Los Paranoias...

Any Beatles fan who listens to Da Doo Ron Ron may allow themselves a chuckle at that comment.  Wink
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2013, 04:25:23 AM »

The Beatles were smart enough to release their best songs in the albums and not let it shelved for forty odd years.

Conclusion: The Beatles are smarter than The Beach Boys.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:32 AM »

Put this on first thing again when I woke up this morning. Ok, yeah, sure, it's pretty good, what of it? It's great yeah big deal. so what...

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2013, 04:51:56 AM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine WIBNTLA and We got love on the "Holland" album.... Wink
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:44:00 PM by bsten » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: