gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681383 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 12:13:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 73623 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »

Really nice to read so many people are connecting with this song...finally. Its been kind of sad for me (and others) to know this great track was just buried from it's audience for so long. This is like an old, but healthy eagle getting let out of a cage and finally getting a chance to fly. As usual there's a few people who have a negative opinion too. That negativity seems relatively inconsequential when I read the many posts from people getting goosebumps and being brought to tears by the power of experiencing this song for the first times. I didn't really expect to see that after so many years of anticipation and hype, figured there would be a big wave of yawns, but i also knew the song would stand the test of time once it began circulating into all the good ears that live on this board. We'll see this song eventually settle into its rightful place in the Beach Boys canon. Notable for being perhaps Dennis' most pure and powerful vocal on record, and also notable for waiting the longest of anything in the BB's unreleased pile that is even close to this quality.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »

Very well said. This day is a banner occasion. Pure vocal, essential, spiritual song. Let the eagle soar (nice metaphor Jon).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:14:59 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself
wat

A discipline daddy.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »

Has the rough mix 'people in the know' have heard got the autotune and classic rock lead guitar on it?

Don't hear any of the first, but the "repeating figure" guitar part has always been talked about as part of the original recording.

Transcendental Meditation  Nice song. Dennis voice is in fine form - there is a noticeable lack of BB harmony work, I was hoping for more. The repetitive guitar lick
seemed a bit odd but then again it adds to the trance-like quality of the overall song. I like the shift caused by the tag because it acts
effectively to snap you out of the trance/ dreamy vocal section. I know this tune will grow on me the more I listen to it, especially when I can
hear it on my main system and not cheezy PC speakers.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
zachrwolfe
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:48:17 PM by zatch » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »

Okay, my impression:

WIBNTLA is NOT the end-all, be-all and I was more blown away by "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"....BUT....

This is classic Dennis as we would expect. Great (if a bit overdramatic) production, amazing vocals from the guy....and that it's taken this long for us fans to have access to it is a crime against humanity.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

Going on the internal evidence that Donny has just provided, I'd suspect that you'd have a Surf's Up track sequence like this (immediately prior to Dennis's withdrawal of his tracks):

Don't Go Near the Water
4th of July
Long Promised Road
Take a Load Off Your Feet
Disney Girls
(Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again

Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Day in the Life of a Tree
Til I Die
Surf's Up

That would be where it was once "Surf's Up" was added to the lineup. Now it might have been that WIBNTLA was the closer for side two before that, and SDT was lurking around waiting for a slot, which opened up when "Surf's Up "bumped WIBNTLA out of its original perch.

I also think it's likely that "Carry Me Home" was viewed as pushing the social commentary too far by various folks, and would have been taken out of the running relatively early. It would be interesting to surmise the various shifting factions that got behind certain of the songs and how Jack Reiley tried to "keep the peace."

It would be one of those highly ironic moments in BB lore if Dennis had convinced Brian to put "Surf's Up" on the LP, only to find out that the decision was to put it at the end of side two to form a "Brian suite," thus bumping WIBNTLA from where he'd thought it rightfully belonged.

Alas, we'll probably never be privy to the exact blow-by-blow on all this. Needless to say, its revelation would be extremely interesting. Jon Stebbins, do you have any sense of what might have gone down? Is it possible that Barbara was privy to whatever happened? The timing of Dennis's hand injury and the release of the LP are pretty close, IIRC.

At least we finally have WIBNTLA.

I thought the conflict was that Dennis wanted "Wouldn't it Be Nice To Live Again" to come right after "Till I Die" ... like, death and resurrection ... but Carl (and likely others) felt that it should end with "Surf's Up" ... that was the conflict between Dennis & Carl regarding the sequence, so Dennis pulled his songs. I guess I kind of assumed it was going to be a 12-track album like Sunflower, but maybe not since it would run pretty long that way.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »

WE FINALLY GOT THIS!
Let's just save all the negativity for tomorrow and have a drink! Beer

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself

Holy sh*t...really? Completely uncalled for.

When you come back in seven days, please refrain from further outbursts like this one. Not cool.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »

WE FINALLY GOT THIS!
Let's just save all the negativity for tomorrow and have a drink! Beer

Here, here! Cool

Just listening to it right now. I'm digging Dennis's vocal and the production more than the actual song itself. Dennis sounds great, especially the higher parts that he does. This should have been released before.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »

Going on the internal evidence that Donny has just provided, I'd suspect that you'd have a Surf's Up track sequence like this (immediately prior to Dennis's withdrawal of his tracks):

Don't Go Near the Water
4th of July
Long Promised Road
Disney Girls

Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Til I Die
Surf's Up

That would be where it was once "Surf's Up" was added to the lineup. Now it might have been that WIBNTLA was the closer for side two before that, and SDT was lurking around waiting for a slot, which opened up when "Surf's Up "bumped WIBNTLA out of its original perch.

I also think it's likely that "Carry Me Home" was viewed as pushing the social commentary too far by various folks, and would have been taken out of the running relatively early. It would be interesting to surmise the various shifting factions that got behind certain of the songs and how Jack Reiley tried to "keep the peace."

It would be one of those highly ironic moments in BB lore if Dennis had convinced Brian to put "Surf's Up" on the LP, only to find out that the decision was to put it at the end of side two to form a "Brian suite," thus bumping WIBNTLA from where he'd thought it rightfully belonged.

Alas, we'll probably never be privy to the exact blow-by-blow on all this. Needless to say, its revelation would be extremely interesting. Jon Stebbins, do you have any sense of what might have gone down? Is it possible that Barbara was privy to whatever happened? The timing of Dennis's hand injury and the release of the LP are pretty close, IIRC.

I thought the conflict was that Dennis wanted "Wouldn't it Be Nice To Live Again" to come right after "Till I Die" ... like, death and resurrection ... but Carl (and likely others) felt that it should end with "Surf's Up" ... that was the conflict between Dennis & Carl regarding the sequence, so Dennis pulled his songs. I guess I kind of assumed it was going to be a 12-track album like Sunflower, but maybe not since it would run pretty long that way.

I kind of have a hard picturing the intended Surfs Up being anything less than 12 tracks myself.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

Off the meds today, Bergen? Completely uncalled for.

I need to listen to this on a decent system. Computer speakers I am thinking isn't doing this justice. I like the song, love Dennis' vocal (may be his best), and I enjoy the ending. What I need to judge later, is if it is really as great as all the hype. It is a shame that Dennis pulled this off the album and that it sat in the archives for 42 years. It is much too good for that to have happened.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:38:56 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »

HOLY$HIT I just caved and listened to this track.

There is only one thing I can say:

1. Good Vibrations
2. Wouldn't it be nice to live again

As to how this was never released, I am completely baffled.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »

Fucking great track. It may not be Dennis' best composition but everything clicks. That era's aesthetics, production values, lead voice, band vocals. Wow.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »

Who is singing "Do you think we can live again?" an octave below Dennis at the end?
MBE
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Bose speakers are really nice for computers. I digress.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »

Also, insidery folks, how much more of the tag is there before it kind of seems like the folks had stopped trying to play the part seriously? Is Dennis' intention for this section really known?

It goes on pretty seriously for a long time.  It never really breaks down until it breaks down, if that makes sense, and if I recall correctly.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »

Who is singing "Do you think we can live again?" an octave below Dennis at the end?

Dennis.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »

Also, insidery folks, how much more of the tag is there before it kind of seems like the folks had stopped trying to play the part seriously? Is Dennis' intention for this section really known?

It goes on pretty seriously for a long time.  It never really breaks down until it breaks down, if that makes sense, and if I recall correctly.

Shoot - I'd love to hear the rest! Hopefully it's released somewhere at some point. Don't get me wrong, I understand the edit and the song is great either way, but still.

Thanks fer the response. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »

Bose speakers are really nice for computers. I digress.
At work, I am lucky to even have speakers. Wink I will have a good listen tomorrow.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »

Really nice to read so many people are connecting with this song...finally. Its been kind of sad for me (and others) to know this great track was just buried from it's audience for so long. This is like an old, but healthy eagle getting let out of a cage and finally getting a chance to fly. As usual there's a few people who have a negative opinion too. That negativity seems relatively inconsequential when I read the many posts from people getting goosebumps and being brought to tears by the power of experiencing this song for the first times. I didn't really expect to see that after so many years of anticipation and hype, figured there would be a big wave of yawns, but i also knew the song would stand the test of time once it began circulating into all the good ears that live on this board. We'll see this song eventually settle into its rightful place in the Beach Boys canon. Notable for being perhaps Dennis' most pure and powerful vocal on record, and also notable for waiting the longest of anything in the BB's unreleased pile that is even close to this quality.

It really is the truth.  Dennis put so much emotion into his music, it seems like a piece of his soul is forever embeded in it.  Dennis has been gone a long time, but even after all these years, he can still bring us to tears with the beautiful art he created.  I simply can't say how glad I am that we finally get to hear this track.  I've been listening to it all day long.  It is beautiful!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »

Don't Go Near the Water
4th of July
Long Promised Road
Disney Girls

Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Til I Die
Surf's Up

I kind of have a hard picturing the intended Surfs Up being anything less than 12 tracks myself.

I agree. All six Beach Boys were contributing during that period; the album could've EASILY been twelve tracks. But, if "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" would've been included, that would've been five songs over 4:00 in length. Shocked

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" - 4:55
"Disney Girls" - 4:11
"Student Demonstration Time" - 4:01
"Feel Flows" - 4:49
"Surf's Up - 4:12

After listening to "Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", this is my new preferred Surf's Up album:

01 Don't Go Near The Water
02 Lady
03 (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
04 Long Promised Road
05 Disney Girls

06 Feel Flows
07 Lookin' At Tomorrow
08 A Day In The Life Of A Tree
09 Til I Die
10 Surf's Up

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:08:00 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »

It's a very happy day to be a Dennis Wilson fan!  Rock!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »

I really think this track, more than any other, proves beyond doubt that Dennis was a true artist, equal in talent to Brian ... though different. And it also illustrates that Dennis, more so than Brian, was truly not made for his time ... and that while the Beach Boys made it possible for him, they also held him back. What shines brightest in this track to me is POTENTIAL. Don't get me wrong, the track is absolutely fully realized ... but the potential of Dennis as a legitimate artist in the early '70s. Dennis with a different kind of confidence. Dennis as a leader, not a team player. Dennis as the great artist, fully recognized during his life ... and how this would have changed his life, particularly in the later years. Dennis somehow able to escape the shadow of Brian and Murry.

Jason
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:41 PM »

Is that you, Bruce?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx