gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:54:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 73154 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »

So, what is now the best remaining track to not have had an official release (or any release)?

Looking Down The Coast
Glow, Cresent Glow
Big Sur (4/4)
We've Got Love (if you discount the early wrong pressings!)
Viggie

It's kind of scary that most of these have M.Love in the songwriting credits!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

So, what is now the best remaining track to not have had an official release (or any release)?

There's certainly a startling amount of stuff still in the vaults...

Carry Me Home
That Special Feeling
Glow Crescent Glow
Oh Lord
Out in the Country etc.
Jason
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »

Just heard the track.

I was moved nearly to tears. The song finally made sense to me. I was rather unimpressed with the Adam Marsland version, but here...holy sh*t. Dennis' best vocal BY FAR, and easily the best song he wrote. Wow. Fucking righteous. Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »

Is "Sea Cruise" (15 BOs outtake), which was originally released on "Ten Years of Harmony", available today?  I can't find it for purchase.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »

Unless you find a copy of Ten Years of Harmony on vinyl or CD, it's on one of the Dumb Angel Rarities discs (I think disc 3).
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »

Going on the internal evidence that Donny has just provided, I'd suspect that you'd have a Surf's Up track sequence like this (immediately prior to Dennis's withdrawal of his tracks):

Don't Go Near the Water
4th of July
Long Promised Road
Take a Load Off Your Feet
Disney Girls
(Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again

Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Day in the Life of a Tree
Til I Die
Surf's Up

That would be where it was once "Surf's Up" was added to the lineup. Now it might have been that WIBNTLA was the closer for side two before that, and SDT was lurking around waiting for a slot, which opened up when "Surf's Up "bumped WIBNTLA out of its original perch.

I also think it's likely that "Carry Me Home" was viewed as pushing the social commentary too far by various folks, and would have been taken out of the running relatively early. It would be interesting to surmise the various shifting factions that got behind certain of the songs and how Jack Reiley tried to "keep the peace."

It would be one of those highly ironic moments in BB lore if Dennis had convinced Brian to put "Surf's Up" on the LP, only to find out that the decision was to put it at the end of side two to form a "Brian suite," thus bumping WIBNTLA from where he'd thought it rightfully belonged.

Alas, we'll probably never be privy to the exact blow-by-blow on all this. Needless to say, its revelation would be extremely interesting. Jon Stebbins, do you have any sense of what might have gone down? Is it possible that Barbara was privy to whatever happened? The timing of Dennis's hand injury and the release of the LP are pretty close, IIRC.

At least we finally have WIBNTLA.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:04:54 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »

Is Everybody Wants to Live out there? Because that's good

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jason
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »

To be honest, I think you could just add the tune right after the title track on Surf's Up and the album would still be great, maybe even better.
Jason
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »

It's been booted for years.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »

Stevie.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »

By the way, is a mellotron the instrument that sounds in the begining of the song? (it reminds me a little bit the intro of "Strawberry Fields Forever".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »

Best remaining track to have official release though. That's a classic as far as I'm concerned and I'm not sure it has been officially released has it?

Jason
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »

Doesn't sound like a mellotron; sounds like a celesta with Charles Lloyd on flute playing simultaneously.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:05:33 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Jason
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »

Best remaining track to have official release though. That's a classic as far as I'm concerned and I'm not sure it has been officially released has it?

Not yet...it'd be nice, though.
Nicko1234
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

I also think it's likely that "Carry Me Home" was viewed as pushing the social commentary too far by various folks, and would have been taken out of the running relatively early. It would be interesting to surmise the various shifting factions that got behind certain of the songs and how Jack Reiley tried to "keep the peace."

Surely this came later...
Nicko1234
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »

The lyrics are shocking on this one though. That might have held it back.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

Not yet...it'd be nice, though.

Just goes to show you how much great stuff is still out there. Next boxset I guess though.

Jason
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »

Carry Me Home is a Holland outtake.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2013, 01:26:51 PM »

Unless you find a copy of Ten Years of Harmony on vinyl or CD, it's on one of the Dumb Angel Rarities discs (I think disc 3).
I have it, I think.  Just wonder why it isn't available.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »

Can't wait to hear this and I know I'll love it! Big fan of the man's songs on CATP and I expect this to be even better.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Carry Me Home is a Holland outtake.

Right, my bad for not looking at Andrew's list prior to posting. I think the same issues applied to it, of course, when it came to its potential inclusion on Holland.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:29:58 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
Jason
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »

I have it, I think.  Just wonder why it isn't available.

I guess there was no real point in reissuing the compilation after BRI regained control of the 1970-85 stuff, and the better moments were reissued on the Good Vibrations box set. Sea Cruise should find a home on a future rarities set.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:54:44 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »

Time to ask a ridiculous question that will undoubtedly result in a fight between two or three of our more combustible members... on a hypothetical Surf's Up that included WIBNTLA, what would you choose as the top three songs?

I haven't decided yet, but the list includes..

- Til I Die
- Surf's Up
- Long Promised Road
- Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again

Plus

- Disney Girls (Honorable mention)
- Feel Flows (Honorable mention)

I think a hypothetical Surf's Up that included WIBNTLA and discarded "Student Demonstration Time" would be very close to a perfect (perfectly flawed) album, in a much different sense than the (perfectly perfect) Sunflower.

The grimy, gritty cover (a previous poster mentioned the inky blackness) and the preponderance of songs like "Til I Die," WIBNTLA, "Day in the life of a tree," and "Long Promised Road" would, somewhat paradoxically, cause "Take a Load off Your Feet" to fit the album better, as a light-hearted track to leaven the proceedings.

- B00ts
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinTmcYwAdQ
here!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »

Time to ask a ridiculous question that will undoubtedly result in a fight between two or three of our more combustible members... on a hypothetical Surf's Up that included WIBNTLA, what would you choose as the top three songs?

Still the same for me as it always was;

Surf's Up
'Till I Die
Disney Girls

As good as WIBNTLA is, I don't think it's that good.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx