gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:15:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 72994 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »

Internet tough guy is tough.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 31, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »

Internet tough guy is tough.
Yep, this little piss-ant hides behind a computer and calls everyone and anyone out. This piss-ant is definitely off his meds. Mods, honor his wish and permanently BAN his ass. Thank you!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »

Wow!  I finally got to hear the song in question and was going to chime in (yeah, a little late as usual) about my very positive thoughts, but apparently there's a nut job barricaded behind his computer!  I'll let the SWAT team come in and clean up the mess before I go any further here!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 31, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »

Wow!  I finally got to hear the song in question and was going to chime in (yeah, a little late as usual) about my very positive thoughts, but apparently there's a nut job barricaded behind his computer!  I'll let the SWAT team come in and clean up the mess before I go any further here!
Another derailment in SmileySmile.net, oh my! I doubt you'll find a thread in here that hasn't been derailed. So, get us back on topic and let us know what you think about it. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

I wonder what the extended outro sounds like. I hope it comes out on the 2033 box set  Smiley

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »

So I got back from the pub, after a glorious eight or so pints, put on the unreleased D/W gem we've all been waiting to hear, and find

a/ The BVs have been buried. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed the person who mixed this had never heard the Beach Boys before. All the focus is on the lead vocal, to the expense of everything else, and that's just not how a BB production is meant to work. Where the vocals play off each other at the start of the fade....you should be able to HEAR what's going on, like the end of Surfs Up, or Til I die, Leaving this Town.

b/ The long held notes? Auto Tune. And if someone is being smart and denying the use of 'Auto Tune' itself, then fine, but there are other products of different names which have exactly the same affect. It's obvious on Sherry She Needs me- why would there be any doubt that it'd be used across the board.

Sure, unless you're in the studio looking at the plugin chain, you can't say for sure, but I know my way around pro tools, and that sure sounds like AT to me. Maybe they think they've done something smart like tuning the reverb returns rather than the actual lead or something, but it's still noticable. They've made one of the most beautiful vocal tones ever sound like a robot.

As to my general manners in the face of such disappointment. 'Mikie' -

"You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin"

Forgive me for not caring that 'someone on the internet' thinks they could 'have me'.

For me saying I'd contemplate flushing Mark Linetts head down the toilet is a vaguely amusing (to me) way of expressing my disappointment at the awful job he's done on this box set. No apologies you brought the beef you despicable old git.

Auto tune, digital reverb, crazy panning on sail plane song? sh*t mastering? We've had final confirmation that the Beach Boys should leave box sets to the Bootleggers.

And Disney Boy:

As if I care what some fucking c*** on the fucking internet thinks of me. Why don't you fucking f*** yourself, you fucking c***.

Good enough for a permanent ban, do we think? I'm done with this nest of fucking pricks Wink

Sounds like someone can't handle his booze. Stick to the shandys mate.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:13:09 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #382 on: August 31, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »

I wonder what Fantasy Mike Love would say about the imaginary auto tune on WIBNTLA?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 31, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »

I wonder what Fantasy Mike Love would say about the imaginary auto tune on WIBNTLA?

Whatever he would say, he would resolve the argument.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »

He'd say "it's a damn shame".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »

Another derailment in SmileySmile.net, oh my! I doubt you'll find a thread in here that hasn't been derailed. So, get us back on topic and let us know what you think about it. Smiley

Yeah, why can't some people understand that while it's ok to not like a song, or performance, or mix and that it's great to have the opportunity to discuss why it doesn't work for us, etc, but it's not cool to be an ass about it?

With that out of the way, I gotta say that this song is a grower, as someone else stated earlier.  I've been reading the hype the last few weeks, though the voice in the back of my head was telling me to just wait and see.  As you've probably guessed, I've never heard the song before, even when I used to hang out with Bob Hanes.  

My initial reaction on the first listen was...eh, it's ok.  Not bad.  Dennis' songs have always been hit or miss for me.  Forever is, and always will be, my absolute favorite of his.  Songs like Barbara just never worked for me.  I don't think they're bad in any way; they just don't strike a nerve.  After about a half dozen more listens to WIBNTLA, I'm really starting to 'get it'.  It's a beautiful song, great arrangement, great vocal, near-perfect mix from what I can hear.  At this point I put it a close second to Forever.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »

No pitch correction.  I'm 99.999999% sure.

The long notes are overdubbed, one sustains on the "said", the other goes down.

Probably what you are hearing as pitch correction is the change from solo voice to double tracked voice.

Jason
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »

Permabanned internet tough guy is permabanned.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »

How sad. Another victim of 'autotunanoia'

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 02, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »

Haven't got the box yet but every play on You Tube makes me more in awe!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:35 AM »

I have now MIC in hands. After having carefully heard WIBNTLA, here is what I’m able to say when comparing this version to "mine". Both are the SAME version (structure, instruments, etc.). The sound is however quite different. In "my version", some instruments are less emphasized (for example, the guitar between 2.34 and 2.58 or the flute around 4.07) and some vocals are more emphasized (for example, the backing vocals between 2.34 and 2.58 and the lead vocal after 3.38).  I think "my version" is a rough (mono) mix.
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »

My thoughts on WIBNTLA:

At first listen, I am in awe.  We hear the title first.  Dennis' voice is picture perfect.  He starts out softly, then builds to an initial climax with rhetorical questions and heartfelt replies.  Now, back to soft lines, dreamy, silky smooth lines with more responses to his questions.  The guitar kicks in followed by his questions and replies.  Flute, percussion and vocal intertwine.  The flute is a butterfly, fluttering about his vision of the future, and it's a bright future for him at this moment in time.

I don't see this as a grower.  It's power is demonstrated in the first seven words.  This song hits hard on first listen, a rare achievement for a relatively slow song.  In no way did the hype downplay the song.  It's even better than I'd expected though my expectations were tempered a bit.  I was hoping for something along the lines of Forever, and that's exactly what we got.  It is its own song but achieves the same granduer of Forever.  We now have Dennis' third masterpiece.  Forever, River Song and Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again present the pinnacles of Dennis Wilson's career.  Of course Only With You, All Alone, Slip on Through, Celebrate the News and Sound of Free come close as well.

The Surf's Up album would have been substantially improved with the inclusion of Dennis' songs, especially if his Rumbo work was included as well.  I doubt sales would have been significantly greater but as with almost every Beach Boys release, opportunities were missed, opportunities that were lost on the world for decades.

Thanks to those who have shared WIBNTLA with select people, helping to get it an official release before landing in the hands of bootleggers.  It's a sacred song, full of feeling, yet cerebral.  We don't have many opportunities to experience the sacred at first listen.  Thanks, Dennis.  I only wish it had come out over four decades ago.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #392 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »

There's no autotune on WIBNTLA. You're just reveling in saying you're disappointed and looking for things to moan about.

Go f*** yourself you pissy little bitch.

I don't give a bollock what some internet c*** thinks.

I suspect BergenWhitesMousetache is very unhappy about the size of his penis.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 04, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

I have now MIC in hands. After having carefully heard WIBNTLA, here is what I’m able to say when comparing this version to "mine". Both are the SAME version (structure, instruments, etc.). The sound is however quite different. In "my version", some instruments are less emphasized (for example, the guitar between 2.34 and 2.58 or the flute around 4.07) and some vocals are more emphasized (for example, the backing vocals between 2.34 and 2.58 and the lead vocal after 3.38).  I think "my version" is a rough (mono) mix.

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison. I'm particularly intrigued by the "emphasized backing vocals between 2:34 and 2:58" comment. If you ever do decide to share any or all of your mix, that's one section I'd definitely be interested in hearing. Thanks again, Eric!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:47 AM »

Starting enjoy the song a fair bit now after a few listens!!

Was going to ask, what is with the phasiness in the vocal on the sustained 'whoever said goodbyeeee' during the first chorus?  Surely not just a side effect of vocal double tracking?  I guess it could be...anyone else noticed it?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:23 AM »

Surely not just a side effect of vocal double tracking? 

I'm pretty certain it is.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »

There's no autotune on WIBNTLA. You're just reveling in saying you're disappointed and looking for things to moan about.

Go f*** yourself you pissy little bitch.

I don't give a bollock what some internet c*** thinks.

I suspect BergenWhitesMousetache is very unhappy about the size of his penis.

I can't tell, all I can say is that I have a very small car. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: September 14, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »

Hype or no hype it's one of the best tunes I've ever heard. The BB's are MORONS for not letting Dennis put this on Surf's Up. Awesome song.

Jason
« Reply #398 on: September 14, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »

Well, Dennis was not FORCED to remove his tracks from Surf's Up; he did it when he and Carl couldn't agree on sequencing. So the blame is Dennis' and his alone.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 14, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »

Well, Dennis was not FORCED to remove his tracks from Surf's Up; he did it when he and Carl couldn't agree on sequencing. So the blame is Dennis' and his alone.

Yup. I have noticed there is a tendency among BB fans to blame everyone but the person(s) ultimately responsible for their various misadventures.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx