gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:15:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's facebook just posted a picture of Blondie Chaplin recording at Oceanway.  (Read 29987 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »

So. Four Beach Boys on an album that can't be credited to the Beach Boys.

Quirky!

Call me picky, but last time I looked, neither Blondie nor David were members of BRI.  Grin
So, by your logic, Carl's estate is a Beach Boy?   Grin

Yeah! Bring them all onstage!!! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »

So. Four Beach Boys on an album that can't be credited to the Beach Boys.

Quirky!
This is wonderful, and too funny! I can read the "Mike is left out in the cold" reviews now. Wasn't it Mike who nixed Blondie appearing at any C50 shows?

I've never read that. I know before the tour started he said in an interview that he would be open to Blondie and Ricky being involved.

Never heard such a rumor either. Through a mutual friend I asked Blondie before the tour if he was part of the reunion or something and he said that "there's no communication from m love".
From what I heard in various interviews over the years I have the feeling that Blondie is not too fond of Mike (this is just my feeling of course).
I'd love to have Blondie be part of a Beach Boys album. I think his song "Cheatin' heart" could make a cool BBs-recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCBWPGXmK7A  

Blondie is such a fantastic singer. He would be a great addition to any band.

BTW, now it is really kinda sad to see that another Beach Boys album definitely would have happened but it won't because they can't get it together between Brian and Mike
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:00:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 01:03:40 AM »

Through a mutual friend I asked Blondie before the tour if he was part of the reunion or something and he said that "there's no communication from m love".

Understandable, seeing as it's widely recognized - even here - that he ceded overall control of the C50 project to Brian's management & Joe Thomas.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 01:03:45 AM »

can i use this thread to propose that Blondie looks like a troll now? like the doll...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »

Through a mutual friend I asked Blondie before the tour if he was part of the reunion or something and he said that "there's no communication from m love".

Understandable, seeing as it's widely recognized - even here - that he ceded overall control of the C50 project to Brian's management & Joe Thomas.

Sure, but I didn't know that when I asked him (remember this was in January 2012) and he just answered my question if there was contact from Mike or if he (Blondie) would try to get in contact with them.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:08:27 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 01:08:13 AM »

Blondie and Brian already collaborated, some years ago, on Anton Fig's Figments album, the song "Hand On My Shoulder" and bloody good it is too - Brian's background vocals are terrific. Short sample:

http://www.antonfig.com/songs/HOMS.mp3

More on the collaboration:

http://www.antonfig.com/brianwilson.htm

Mods: the MP3 is a legit link from Anton Fig's own website  Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »

Brian could make a call to Mike and Bruce and ask them to sing in one song of the album and the circle would be closed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:04 AM »

Yes. He could. It would be a gracious and magnanimous gesture, and so easy to arrange.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 03:11:47 AM »

Yes. He could. It would be a gracious and magnanimous gesture, and so easy to arrange.

… I think Al's album and Waves of Love showed the way in this regard.  It's very achievable.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:22 AM »

Indeed, but this would be way better, in that all the surviving members would be in the same place at the same time. It would also be excellent PR for Team Wilson. Win-win.  Roll Eyes

MBE
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:36 AM »

Funny I really missed Blondie and Ricky last year. Felt like a little piece of them was missing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »

Funny I really missed Blondie and Ricky last year. Felt like a little piece of them was missing.

Yeah, I agree. That tour was fantastic in every way but having Blondie on "Sail on sailor" would've been even better.

This was posted by Blondie's Facebook site:

Blondie Chaplin would like his fans to know that he has been in the studio working with Brian Wilson on Brian's new solo cd!

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 06:35:36 AM »

Indeed, but this would be way better, in that all the surviving members would be in the same place at the same time. It would also be excellent PR for Team Wilson. Win-win.  Roll Eyes

Do you know for certain that Brian didn't ask Mike&Bruce for a vocal contribution? Huh Maybe they declined, for whatever reason.

Anyway, Blondie's involvement will make Brian's upcoming solo LP even more special. Smiley That voice on a new BW track? Potential bliss!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »

In terms of Blondie, there's no evidence it was ever "officially" offered as an option for him to appear at any shows, let alone that Brian (or Mike) nixed such an idea.

As for "ceding overall control of C50", I wouldn't say a production company that Mike had an equal stake in is something to which he would cede overall control. Doesn't make any sense. He may have ceded more control than he likes, maybe even more control than he should have (the overall positive reviews of the album and tour would seem to negate that possibility though). But just because Mike is grumbling about things a year later, it doesn't mean we can now say he just entered into the huge C50 project with no control.

As far as Joe Thomas and the overall control on the entire C50 project, I'm going to go with Howie Edelson's comments a little while back. Joe Thomas had the money and organizational skills, and was finally the guy that, as Mr. Edelson put it, was there to clap his hands and tell the entire group "okay, here's what we're gonna do." The group has rarely had someone to do that, and if anybody in the band, whether Brian or Mike or Al or anybody, walks away from a project because the guy who gets as much accomplished as Thomas did in one year is someone they feel has too much control, then any such people in the band are insane.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 06:42:20 AM »

Do you know for certain that Brian didn't ask Mike&Bruce for a vocal contribution? Huh Maybe they declined, for whatever reason.

Mike stated in interviews that he is open to work with Brian again...

if he is allowed write with Brian

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 06:45:35 AM »

Indeed, but this would be way better, in that all the surviving members would be in the same place at the same time. It would also be excellent PR for Team Wilson. Win-win.  Roll Eyes

Doesn't seem that "Team Wilson" has a PR problem since the C50 tour ended. There's another fellow in the band that seems to have had some PR issues, however. It doesn't appear he cares though, for better or worse.

And I'm sorry, putting any responsibility on "Team Wilson" for doing anything to get all the surviving members in the same room is bull****. As we've all heard a bazillion times, Brian, Al, and David wanted to keep the reunion going. It's utterly laughable to reference "getting all the surviving members in the same place at the same time" and good PR for Brian in the same sentence. He wanted to keep it together, and doesn't have any PR problem presently.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:03:35 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »

Mike stated in interviews that he is open to work with Brian again...

if he is allowed write with Brian
. . on a Beach Boys record, yes. Also: stuff people say in interviews....

Who knows - maybe Brian called Mike and/or Bruce and said "Guys, I have a track called 'XYZ' on my new record. It sounds like such and such. Wanna record some vocals for it?" - and maybe on the other end it said "Thanks for calling Brian, but contributing vocals for a single track on your new solo album? Thanks, but not thanks."?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:10 AM »

I think Brian asked both Mike and Bruce to join him relatively recently. I think the project was called something like "another leg of the reunion tour, and another Beach Boys album."

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »

Mike drools, Brian rooles

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »

I think Brian asked both Mike and Bruce to join him relatively recently. I think the project was called something like "another leg of the reunion tour, and another Beach Boys album."

Ba-zing!!!

Ummm... all getting a bit recess-ish, isn't it ?

The f***'s that mean?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 06:54:29 AM »

Well, exactly. How is it even remotely Brian's fault that Mike and Bruce are NOT on this album, when by all accounts, this could have been a Beach Boys album if Mike hadn't put an end to things?  I don't see where "Team Brian" owe Mike anything. And, if he's got the cred to land that solo album in the first place, AND pull in a bunch of interesting guest musicians.... good for him!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:56:17 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 06:55:09 AM »

Haha. Exactly.

Mike drools, Brian rooles
+1
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 06:57:47 AM »

Blondie and Brian already collaborated, some years ago, on Anton Fig's Figments album, the song "Hand On My Shoulder" and bloody good it is too - Brian's background vocals are terrific. Short sample:

http://www.antonfig.com/songs/HOMS.mp3

More on the collaboration:

http://www.antonfig.com/brianwilson.htm

Mods: the MP3 is a legit link from Anton Fig's own website  Smiley

much as I loved this whole project with Anton Fig, I do remember reading at the time that Brian and Blondie where never in the studio at the same time.. In fact I had read that Brian had a chance to meet Blondie in the studio during these sessions but passed on the opportunity, saying something to the effect that he didn't know Blondie. Whether that was Brian on a bad day, or that Brian really never had much contact with the outer circle of BB's from 72-74 and doesn't really know him.

what I'm saying is we really shouldn't read to much into this.. Blondie was close to Carl and Dennis, and not necessarily Brian, and this visit to Ocean Way may be  mainly just a nice gesture from Brian's PR team more then anything.

Blondie as a active member of this Brian solo CD?  Man, I'd love to hear it !    Smiley Smiley Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 07:07:03 AM »

Indeed, but this would be way better, in that all the surviving members would be in the same place at the same time. It would also be excellent PR for Team Wilson. Win-win.  Roll Eyes

Doesn't seem that "Team Wilson" has a PR problem since the C50 tour ended. There's another fellow in the band that seems to have had some PR issues, however. It doesn't appear he cares though, for better or worse.

And I'm sorry, putting any honus on "Team Wilson" for doing anything to get all the surviving members in the same room is bull****. As we've all heard a bazillion times, Brian, Al, and David wanted to keep the reunion going. It's utterly laughable to reference "getting all the surviving members in the same place at the same time" and good PR for Brian in the same sentence. He wanted to keep in together, and doesn't have any PR problem presently.
Absolutely.
The most casual glance at any facebook (except Mikes!) , twitter or other message board will demonstrate Brian certainly isn't the one with a PR problem. The idea he is the one to now bring things together is novel to say the least.

Edit to stay on topic! Fantastic to see Blondie involved (and we get to listen to WIBNTLA,  good times)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:11:33 AM by Heywood » Logged
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »

Now, if they only got Ricky, Matt Jardine and possibly Billy Hinsche, they could very well rival the C50 tour.

FYI Matt and Billy aren't beach boys... Wink

Nah.  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx