gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 07:55:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Beach Boys have just broken up for good? If so, when?  (Read 7004 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »

I’m not saying I agree with this idea, I'm just posing it to you. Would it have been better if sometime in the distant past (70s, 80s) the Beach Boys had just broken up and moved on? They could have an occasional reunion tour, like the C50, but would it have been better for the band and its legacy if they just called it quits, perhaps sometime in the mid-70s? Or is there another period? Do you agree or disagree with this idea?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:17:06 AM by Smile4ever » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »

December 28, 1983.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »

Anytime before Friends I'd be heartbroken, anytime after....not so bothered. (As long as they reformed to put out Love You)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »

Although I love Livin' With a Heartache, Goin' On, Getcha Back, It's Gettin' Late and SNJ, I think they'd be more respected in the "classic rock" canon had they broken up shortly after Light Album.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »

Either Dennis's death or Carl's. Good arguments can be made for either.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »

"Should" -- no, no, NEVER. Not at all!

But they did so, in 1998 -- and again in 2012.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »

Although I love Livin' With a Heartache, Goin' On, Getcha Back, It's Gettin' Late and SNJ, I think they'd be more respected in the "classic rock" canon had they broken up shortly after Light Album.

I'm glad they never stopped. The odd moment of greatness makes all the duffers worthwhile. And their legacy was already set in stone - Sunflower doesn't suddenly become less of a great record because they put out a clunker like KTSA.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

1998 perhaps but to be honest I see nothing particularly wrong with the way things went. I may not like some of the music they put out after 1979 but that doesn't mean the group should've ended. On the contrary, I wish they would've stayed together much longer as a group recording new music, as I even prefer BB85 over most of the guys' solo records (with the notable exception of POB and BW88). Don't care much about whether the group is considered cool or not.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »

I think they should have ended the group with Carl's death. If Mike wanted to continue to tour, he should've just gone out as "Mike Love's Beach Boys". No Wilson's onstage....no Beach Boys.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »

December 19, 1973.

Alternatively, February 28, 1981.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »

I don't think so. I think part of their legacy is that since the birth of the band, there has always been a way to hear this music live and enjoy the summer shows with those songs. It's a pretty special thing. But, their artistic growth in the late 60's makes it hard to say that it's worth keeping the band alive so every summer, the baby boomers can get their fixin' of "Surfin' USA".

Maybe if they had stopped recording after Holland (1973) and just had a touring act doing the Endless Summer shtick in the 70's they could've spent more time building a solid fan base off of the oldies. Then, say, 1982...take all the decent songs from those sub-par late 70's albums, and release one REALLY great reunion album with ALL the members on it and on the road, and they really could have made a powerful comeback. Imagine...

The Beach Boys- Keeping The Summer Alive 1982 New Album & Summer Stadium Tour

1. Keeping The Summer Alive
2. Susie Cincinnati
3. Here Comes The Night
4. My Diane
5. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
6. Good Timin'
---
1. It's OK
2. Sunshine
3. That Same Song
4. Lady Lynda
5. Shortenin' Bread (...just because  LOL )
6. Endless Harmony

Sure, there are some OK songs I left off of it, and this is also assuming Brian could've released "Love You" as a solo album sometime between 1973-1982.

But after that album and tour, put it back to rest. Say Dennis still passed away, wait until 1987 and do a Beach Boys reunion tour for the 25th anniversary. With all the Landy bullshit at the time, it would probably be best to not have Brian on that album and tour but still, after not having any touring act for 5 years, it would still be a pretty big deal to have Mike, Carl, Al, and Bruce out on the road.

...then maybe give it a rest till C50  LOL
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »

October 5th, 1963.  What was the point in continuing after David left?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »

I feel part of the reason they never broke up was their constant need of money due to spendthrift habits.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

I feel part of the reason they never broke up was their constant need of money due to spendthrift habits.

There wasn't enough coming in from record sales? I find it hard to believe that any of these guys ever let the phrase "financial struggle" cross their mind.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »

My ideal scenario-

Dennis's hissy fit over the sequencing of Surfs Up results in him leaving the band and completing a first solo album with Daryl Dragon in '72 (wibntla, igaf, cu, mig...already a killer tracklisting) and having a successful solo career. Removed from the insanity of the Beach Boys, he still has his ups and downs, but cleans up in the early eighties, and after a few huge albums, turns to soundtrack work in about 1990

Rest of The Beach Boys carry on (C and the P and Holland still happen, minus Dennis's contributions), but split up post Holland.

Mike: Studies law and becomes a high powered music biz lawyer
Brian: Makes big ones, love you, adult child as solo albums.
Carl: produces, makes the odd solo record
Bruce: Teams up with Dean Torrence and tours the oldies circuit forever.
Al: raises horses.

They get back together for live aid in '85, but Mike insists on it being a one off as he's got his image as a lawyer to protect. Everyone else agrees, and they all live happily ever after.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »

Yes.  September 3. 1977
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »

December 28, 1983.

I agree.

Jason
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »

We could speculate all we want, but truthfully I wouldn't really change anything. Everything happens for a reason, right? The Beach Boys are more than just the members. It's the music that counts.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »

We could speculate all we want, but truthfully I wouldn't really change anything. Everything happens for a reason, right? The Beach Boys are more than just the members. It's the music that counts.
Exactly! Last year was really fun. I just wish Dennis & Carl were still with us.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »

I am a HUGE Dennis Wilson fan.

But.

On December 28, 1983, Dennis was already spiraling out of control like a guy falling from an airplane with his parachute failing to open. So he wasn't coming back. Nobody could save him. He was on the outs a few years before that. Very sad but true. His voice was shot, he wasn't even attending concerts towards the end, and when he did, he was an ass on stage and a detriment. He didn't stay in hospitals for re-hab, didn't listen to Landy, and he just didn't give a sh*t. He didn't have any more in the tank to give The Beach Boys. December 28 is just a date that he finally did himself in after years of abuse. During all this time, before and after his demise, The Beach Boys carried on without him. Unfortunately, he was expendable to the band.

So, if we're to speculate on the when the Beach Boys shoulda coulda woulda thrown in the towel, it would have to be Carl's Death in February, 1998.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »

So, if we're to speculate on the when the Beach Boys shoulda coulda woulda thrown in the towel, it would have to be Carl's Death in February, 1998.

Yeah...I suppose. Then at least we get wipeout with the fat boys and all those other awesome records they made in the eighties.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »

Yeah...I suppose. Then at least we get wipeout with the fat boys and all those other awesome records they made in the eighties.
Had Dennis lived, and the band went on, you don't think they would have still gone that road? Dennis revolted during MIU, but was back in line by L.A. (Light Album), then basically out of the picture for KTSA. I don't think Dennis would have had much clout to change what eventually went down.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »

Had Dennis lived, and the band went on, you don't think they would have still gone that road? Dennis revolted during MIU, but was back in line by L.A. (Light Album), then basically out of the picture for KTSA. I don't think Dennis would have had much clout to change what eventually went down.

I dunno- but in my fantasy they split up in '74, and Dennis left in '71/2... I don't think it was his job to prevent them from being sh*t anyway. He was just the only one capable of writing a GREAT song after 76 or so
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »

I think they should have ended the group with Carl's death. If Mike wanted to continue to tour, he should've just gone out as "Mike Love's Beach Boys". No Wilson's onstage....no Beach Boys.

I agree with that. I think that Mike Love should not be allowed to use the Beach Boy name. He can still tour, but under an altered band name. In my opinion, the group definitely should have officially ended by 1998.

As far as their legacy, a breakup after 1977 probably would have been good. But like others said, we've received some great gems even in the down years, so it's hard to definitively say they should have ended it. The cheesy nostalgia marketing of the 80s was a terrible detriment to the band's image, though.  It probably hurt the group's "brand" among critics and fans.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:05:38 PM by Smile4ever » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »

In terms of creativity they should have ended after Holland perhaps but obviously that was never going to happen with the success of Endless Summer.

If they had though then I don't really think it would have mattered anyway. They wouldn't have all gone on to have great solo careers and Dennis would probably still have released one album before destroying himself.

I think it's true that they did split up in 1998. Mike using the band name doesn't matter a fart when it comes to the legacy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx